Guest Bicks

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

A bit of Country Soul/R n B, does Harland County by Jim Ford get played anywhere?

...in my house, at least once every couple of months. One of the greatest albums of all time, in my estimation...

Social source share

Guest Bicks

A superb tune, but it really would surprise me if it would get plays on the northern scene. Great ballad flipside as well ("Changin' Colors")! :thumbsup:

I was thinking more in R'n'B circles, you're right though, suberb tune, one of my faves (I like a song with a good story).

Social source share

I don't know the record you refer to, but generally like the style of soul singers doing country songs. Does anyone remember the book "Can Blue Men Sing The Whites?" Went right into that genre, in many ways a relative of deep soul imo.

These records would not really be suitable for a Northern Soul night, not good for dancing, not even like beat ballads, but for listening absolutely superb. The right records are ultra soulful.

The book had a list of records in that style; if anyone's interested I can dig it out.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

The great Arthur Alexander is usually classified in the Country Soul genre.

Anything by him sends shivers right up my spine .

See below - music kicks in at 0:25

">
Social source share

I don't know the record you refer to, but generally like the style of soul singers doing country songs. Does anyone remember the book "Can Blue Men Sing The Whites?" Went right into that genre, in many ways a relative of deep soul imo.

Haven't read that one, but another book "Say It One Time For The Broken Hearted - The Country Side Of Southern Soul" by Barney Hoskyns also tackles this topic. A very good read in my opinion. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Say-One-Time-Broke...d/dp/074754137X

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

These records would not really be suitable for a Northern Soul night, not good for dancing, not even like beat ballads, but for listening absolutely superb. The right records are ultra soulful.

The book had a list of records in that style; if anyone's interested I can dig it out.

Jim Ford was a close associate of Bobby Womack's for a time, and wrote "Harry Hippie" and "Point Of No Return" which BW covered.

I can really recommend him as a listening experience, especially to people who enjoyed, say, Boz Scaggs' first album on Atlantic.

He does a great version of Stevie Wonder's "I Wanna Make Her Love Me" on "Harlan County", but it's his own songs (which are brilliant lyrically and melodically) that are the best.

He died last year, just as he was starting to get a bit of recognition for his brilliance in the rock press. Shame...

Social source share

Jim Ford was a close associate of Bobby Womack's for a time, and wrote "Harry Hippie" and "Point Of No Return" which BW covered.

I can really recommend him as a listening experience, especially to people who enjoyed, say, Boz Scaggs' first album on Atlantic.

He does a great version of Stevie Wonder's "I Wanna Make Her Love Me" on "Harlan County", but it's his own songs (which are brilliant lyrically and melodically) that are the best.

He died last year, just as he was starting to get a bit of recognition for his brilliance in the rock press. Shame...

I have the Bobby Womack Goes C & W album which features a track By Jim Ford-I'd Be Ahead If I Could Quit While I'm Behind.

Not heard anything by Jim himself but Harry Hippie is one of the great soul recordings of all time in my opinion.

Also got Millie Jackson sings C & W although not played it for years so will have to dig this out.

Up The Iron

Steve

Social source share

Guest SteveSnow

A bit of Country Soul/R n B, does Harland County by Jim Ford get played anywhere?

:D

I read the title of this thread and was thinking of this record before I'd read the first post.

The first time time I heard it was on Andy Kershaw's radio show in about 1987 - I've still got it on cassette somewhere. As the record fades out, AK exclaims with totally unguarded joy and enthusiasm "What a wonderful record!"

Social source share

Guest Bicks

:D

I read the title of this thread and was thinking of this record before I'd read the first post.

The first time time I heard it was on Andy Kershaw's radio show in about 1987 - I've still got it on cassette somewhere. As the record fades out, AK exclaims with totally unguarded joy and enthusiasm "What a wonderful record!"

Andy Kershaw is where I first heard it too. A friend did me a tape of his 'Great Moments in Vinyl History' and it's been implanted in my brain ever since along with the first track 'Walkin' With Barrence' by Barrence Whitfield and the Savages (absolutely relentless rhythm).

Thanks to all for the extra info on Jim Ford and for posting the other stuff up too, there's some interesting music there worth investigating. It's a bit hard going on this site at times with all the bickering that goes on but this is exactly what a forum should be about. Cheers.

Edited by Bicks
Social source share

Andy Kershaw is where I first heard it too. A friend did me a tape of his 'Great Moments in Vinyl History' and it's been implanted in my brain ever since along with the first track 'Walkin' With Barrence' by Barrence Whitfield and the Savages (absolutely relentless rhythm).

Thanks to all for the extra info on Jim Ford and for posting the other stuff up too, there's some interesting music there worth investigating. It's a bit hard going on this site at times with all the bickering that goes on but this is exactly what a forum should be about. Cheers.

A great point. The other side of the 45, Changing Colors is pretty fantastic as well.

I wish I knew more about this particular strand of music: I only really got the Jim Ford records because of his connection to Bobby Womack. The crossover between soul and country in the American South at that time is fascinating and I'd love to be pointed in the direction of more music of this character and quality.

Social source share

Guest Bicks

Anyone remeber Dobie Gray at Rotherham?

Thanks for attempting to keep a floundering thread going, but, isn't your post a little bit...er...random.

Social source share

Ive always loved the lyric to Point of no return, "baby if the cake aint missing? how that icing get all over you?"

Magic

I'm slightly embarrased to admit i've never heard anything by him.........he sounds essential listening

Tats

Edited by foolish fool
Social source share

Ive always loved the lyric to Point of no return, "baby if the cake aint missing? how that icing get all over you?"

Magic

I'm slightly embarrased to admit i've never heard anything by him.........he sounds essential listening

Tats

I'm sure you'd love it Tats. Here's a youtube link to Changing Colors:

Very much like Point Of No Return. I'd completely forgotten how much of The Poets I & II he was responsible for: American Dream, Trying To Get Over, Tell Me Why, Secrets, So Many Sides etc. When you listen to his stuff you see how much of an influence he was on Womack harmonically.

It must be said that very little of his material is straight country: there's a lot of soul, west coast soft rock and bluegrass in there as well. As well as his solo stuff and the Womack connection he also wrote Niki Hoky for PJ Proby which received early scene spins as well.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

A great point. The other side of the 45, Changing Colors is pretty fantastic as well.

I wish I knew more about this particular strand of music: I only really got the Jim Ford records because of his connection to Bobby Womack. The crossover between soul and country in the American South at that time is fascinating and I'd love to be pointed in the direction of more music of this character and quality.

Try:

Joe South - first Capitol album "Introspect" - a big favourite of (and although he wouldn't say it himself, influence on) Swamp Dogg. Most of Joe's albums are at least good, this one is stupendous.

Bobby Charles - first and only Bearsville album. "Small Town Talk" is almost too beautiful for words.

Boz Scaggs - first and only Atlantic album. "I'll Be Long Gone" is a masterpiece. This is perhaps the greatest 'country soul' album of them all...

That should do you for starters, Gareth!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Try:

Joe South - first Capitol album "Introspect" - a big favourite of (and although he wouldn't say it himself, influence on) Swamp Dogg. Most of Joe's albums are at least good, this one is stupendous.

Bobby Charles - first and only Bearsville album. "Small Town Talk" is almost too beautiful for words.

Boz Scaggs - first and only Atlantic album. "I'll Be Long Gone" is a masterpiece. This is perhaps the greatest 'country soul' album of them all...

That should do you for starters, Gareth!

Cheers Tony. I have (and love) the Boz Scaggs and will seek out the others. Bobby Charles on Bearsville sounds particularly interesting.

Social source share

Haven't read that one, but another book "Say It One Time For The Broken Hearted - The Country Side Of Southern Soul" by Barney Hoskyns also tackles this topic. A very good read in my opinion. Here it is:

Great book Sebastian, so many underrated singers from this genre. I've always loved George Soule, Dan Penn, eddie Hinton but there are so many more.

Social source share

Amazing LP. "I Must Be In A Good Place Now" on that album is one of my all-time favourite tunes. Has moved me to tears several times.

Totally agree with Joe South and Boz Scaggs as well (George Freeman's version of "I'll Be Long Gone" on EPIC is also great).

The two volumes in the "Country Got Soul" series are both well worth checking out if you're into this kind of sound. Here they are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Country-Got-Soul-1/dp/B00009WNAU/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Country-Got-Soul-V.../dp/B0002JU61W/

Social source share

Actually that's the book I was referring to, the title I quoted is one of the chapters. My only excuse is that I was at work and couldn't check out the title. As you say it's a very good read.

I always feel that people who only like uptempo tunes are missing so much of the greatness of our music, but, hey, each to their own.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Not sure if this works but what about as said there are country singers like Dolly Parton, Charlie Rich and so on who did Northern soul tracks or are they actually Northern soul and not country.

never would have crossed my mind to think country and soul mix and i happen to listen to both

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert