Kaleidoscope

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Was a bottom end chart hit in the states wasn't it...also on french 45 and EP

It would really surprise me if it was.

As Gene-R wrote above, the 45 issued on UNITED MODERN and all of the worldwide Columbia/Stateside related releases of this track on 45s and EPs were released in 1964 as a cash-in attempt trying to capitalize on Trini's then current popularity due to his recordings on REPRISE ("If I Had A Hammer" etc.).

The original release of "Sinner Not A Saint" is from 1961 on a 45 on the DRA label (same as Jessie Mae "Don't Freeze On Me" etc.). The DRA label release of "SNAS" is however completely drenched in echo and lacks the punchy dryness of the UNITED MODERN release.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Is it a different mix Sebastian as opposed to a new recording? Ady

It's the same basic recording on both DRA and UNITED MODERN.

I think that the reverb/effects were added at the time of manufacturing the stamper for the DRA release. 

UNITED MODERN must've used the plain "dry" mastertape mix-down (without any added effects) when they issued it.

I can send you a soundfile of the DRA 45 if you want me to?

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

It would really surprise me if it was.

As Gene-R wrote above, the 45 issued on UNITED MODERN and all of the worldwide Columbia/Stateside related releases of this track on 45s and EPs were released in 1964 as a cash-in attempt trying to capitalize on Trini's then current popularity due to his recordings on REPRISE ("If I Had A Hammer" etc.).

The original release of "Sinner Not A Saint" is from 1961 on a 45 on the DRA label (same as Jessie Mae "Don't Freeze On Me" etc.). The DRA label release of "SNAS" is however completely drenched in echo and lacks the punchy dryness of the UNITED MODERN release.

It was indeed, Sebastian, bubbling under the hot 100 in January 1964, peaking at #103, on the United/Modern label :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert