Notes On Record Sleeves

Whilst I was out on Boxing night, one of my old mates handed me an old paper record sleeve, and told me to read it. Took me back a few years, at the top it said BENNY SIGLER-WHO YOU GONNA TURN TO-PHIL-LA-SOUL W/D £35, then at the bottom it said "Thanks for the payment Harry, hope you get this for the weekend, ALL THE BEST Dave Raistrick. Anybody else found any intresting notes etc on sleeves?

Social source share

I got a record sleeve from Pete Smith once, instead of the actual artist/title type writing across the face of it it said:

Gladys Zatacock & Rita Carbuncle

"Hold me bananas while I zip up my skirt"

I kid you not..... there were oh so many more too....

Social source share

Don't know if there's been a previous thread about record sleeve decoration? Like many others (I suspect?), I used to write artist/title/label details in a sort of bubble type graffiti style on the card sleeves and always included my signature. After moving to London in 1976, I sold off a lot of my Northern stuff to mates back home.

I returned in 1992 and not long afterwards bought a box of 45's at a Car Boot sale which contained no less than four card sleeves originally decorated by me! Needless to say they housed different titles but amazing how they survived all that time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Notes on sleeves reminded me of the time I bought a few 45's from a seller in Texas amongst which was a copy of That Girl - Royal Jesters on Optimum 104.  On the sleeve someone had written their name along with "Joe Jama" & "Optimum 102".  I contacted the seller but sadly he "didn't have that one".

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I got a record sleeve from Pete Smith once, instead of the actual artist/title type writing across the face of it it said:

Gladys Zatacock & Rita Carbuncle

"Hold me bananas while I zip up my skirt"

I kid you not..... there were oh so many more too....

This is because he left a load of records round my house once and they all had the names and titles at the top of the sleeves so I just changed them slightly.  This was in the era of Monty Python so even if I were to repeat them now, probably only me and Paul would get it.  I was only 15 at the time  :lol:

Social source share

My Dad passed away last October. There were 2 carrier bags full of 45s - Ray Conniff EPs, Demis Roussos, Charles Aznavour, Scaffold to name but a few and to give a flavour for the general content. Apart from finding the Columbia issue of Bonnie Herman "Hush Don't Cry" which I picked up for 10 pence over 30 years ago, well before it was a big Northern sound and which I had thought was lost somewhere in the mists of time, some of the 45s were in cardboard sleeves with my marker pen scrawled across with titles of records I used to own back then........Rose Batiste on Revilot, some Ric Tics etc etc.So, I had a record I was able to flog for £150 plus a little trip donw memory lane.........Thanks Pop! Like a little present from the past  :thumbsup:

Social source share

I once had a Holly St James demo on which she'd written a dedication to her cousin on the sleeve, and have one now, Linda Glass on Vibration which says "Harry stay young and happy and hope this record is ? for me, your cousin with love, Linda Glass" - though thats on the label not the sleeve.  Nice though.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Just sifting through a box of those wee pesky little 45 thingys and found this note stapled to a paper sleeve....not sure of the date but remember buying it as a new release off the Soul Bowl Record sales sheets...always worth the wait for the latest hot items from the USA...

tfk

post-3067-0-77147300-1367475233_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!