The Originals - Suspicion

Peter99

From the horses mouth........

John Manship tells me was on a buying trip with Mick Godfrey and he got 63 ten (10) inch acetates of unissued Motown from Simon Soussan in the late 80's, the Four Tops unissued Jazz Workshop album was also in there amongst all the good stuff. Most of the acetates were sold upon John's return to the UK. Simon Soussan had so much stock John ran out of money on the first day.

The scan I posted looks like the 10 inch acetate John sold to Gary Fields who then in turn sold it to Richard Searling.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Here is the "sleeve" that came with Rob's LP.  The second never materialised.  It would be late 80's into early 90's when he did this, can't remember for sure.  I remember John Kingan went to collect his and my copy.

attachicon.gifRob Marriott Motwon Bootleg LP.jpg

Definitely early 90s - around the time of the Travellers in Rotherham, as that's where I bought my copy from, 'hot from the presses'.

Social source share

Weird listening to the podcast I don't think it is the right one yet I have the right one in the list of tracks I assembled the podcast from  :g:   Bugger I guess I'll have to do it again just for accuracies sake :rolleyes:  :D

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I know of 4 versions of this (not counting Instrumentals). I heard them in the following order ...

1. The "Original" Version as posted in #56 by RobbK. Throughout the 80's and early 90's this was the only version I ever heard - most recordings were speeded up, including my acetate from Dave Withers and the later Demand boot, Apart from the fact it is too fast, it is this version.

2. A completely different take I had on a sales tape from Pete Lowry about '96 - Guitar based more than brass if I remember correctly - sort of liked it but ...

As I said, I heard it in '96 but it could have been around awhile before that.

3. In '97 the first (I think first) CD version, "This is northen Soul Vol 2" that was put out by Chris King / Debutante. Very similar to the first version, but a slightly different vocal take.

4. The 21st Century boot on Soul with an instrumental on the flip. This was a different version and vocal take again.

(Actually the Inst flip was musically different to all the others, so that sort of makes 5. I only ever played the Inst once and thought it was a modern re-recording. Probably not, just sounded that way to me.)

There are other boots and legal CDs which have some of these versions on them, eg. Soul Beat etc. but I don't think there are any different versions as such. Be interesting to hear of any other versions I haven't heard. I think there is another Inst take, but don't know how it compares to the above four versions.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!