Is This A Re-Issue

Kjw

Gene pressed up a limited amount of 45s as the album had sold out (Bill Shannon & me had the stock early 90s) and after the two tracks became popular he thought why not? He owns the rights and the album is truly a masterpiece of Soul, so he deserved it.

To my knowledge Gene has only 2 known 45s.

He had a Gospel record shop in California if my memory serves me right.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave hope u well up there in Leighton…..question for ya….if you had stock how come so very few of the big names from around that time have this on a 45?

What happened to the copies? Everytime I play it on 7, I get asked about it…..by generally knowledgable folk. I thought it was as Dave 2 said - done about 3y after the LP? Yours faithfully, Confused of Broxbourne...

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Steve

Yeah I'm fine mate.

we had the Lps but when they dried up Gene put the 2 big tunes out on one 45. Most of the Soulies had got it on album so there was no interest in it really.

Don't know how many he did , suspect they may of ended up in Japan as I heard it was in demand out there, but couldn't swear to it. Richard Carrington tracked him down originally, after a few copies of the LP surfaced. It was a bit like sending your wants list over and Richard would try and source, along with the 12" tracks that were sent over by various artists.

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Steve

Yeah I'm fine mate.

we had the Lps but when they dried up Gene put the 2 big tunes out on one 45. Most of the Soulies had got it on album so there was no interest in it really.

Don't know how many he did , suspect they may of ended up in Japan as I heard it was in demand out there, but couldn't swear to it. Richard Carrington tracked him down originally, after a few copies of the LP surfaced. It was a bit like sending your wants list over and Richard would try and source, along with the 12" tracks that were sent over by various artists.

Dave

Interesting, thanks. See you soon. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Steve

As a footnote a lot of people at the time didn't consider it a "proper" release as it was issued out of demand some years after the LP was sold out. In fact Gene was accused of cashing in on its popularity, which is a bloody joke considering the love, hurt and passion that went into the album, only to basically fail when it originally came out some years before.

Don't forget the album was released in 1978 and remained basically undiscovered till the late eighties early 90s

Soul snobbery was quite rife back in the early 90s and some of them knowledgable people may well of been in the brigade. It was certainly not a secret about the release of the 45. In fact after they dried up some years later though, Crazy Beat brought it out in the UK on a 45,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can believe that the 'Richard Carrington related' deal wasn't fully legit.

A lot of the tracks he sourced back then (after promising the artists cash) were pressed up, but many of the artists never actually received a dime from him. 

Agreed, buit if the press was done with the artists consent or by Gene himself as Dave H says, it doesn't make it a bootleg....the fact that the artist never got the cheque in the end, well we'll find examples of that everywhere in this business I am afraid. BTW what happened to Carrington - is he still about? Or propping up a freeway somewhere?

Social source share

Agreed, buit if the press was done with the artists consent or by Gene himself as Dave H says, it doesn't make it a bootleg....the fact that the artist never got the cheque in the end, well we'll find examples of that everywhere in this business I am afraid. BTW what happened to Carrington - is he still about? Or propping up a freeway somewhere?

Believe it or not he's 'friends' with Gene on Facebook but doesn't seem to be very active  :boxing:

Edited by s7oul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This what says.....Hi Kevin. I did license a vinyl 45 to crazy beat records. Anything else out there is a bootleg. It's amazing how flagrantly the music is being bootlegged on the internet. I have yet to find any legal help to get paid. I still have both the analog and digital masters and I plan to re-release the music as a part of a project ('FROM SEEKING GLORY,TO GIVING GLORY") that will contain the old music, some new music and a book to represent where I am now in my life.

Social source share

I find this talk of the Balance Town 45 being a bootleg a bit strange, as it is I believe on Genes own record label, don't have discography of Genes or the label so don't know where it fits in with the numbering. Including the Crazy Beat issue (which I do have) Gene has one other release, that is known, beside then Balance Town one.

If a third party pressed it up without Genes permission then it flies in the face of what was said about it back in the 90s. Indeed if this were the case then why didn't they appear here in any quantity, small or large? Don't think even I've got one of the 45s as we didn't get any, which is strange if someone was trying to make money.

I don't actually remember being offered any at the time, having said that we must of shifted some LPs at £30 a pop. Can't recall exactly how many but may have some old paperwork on it somewhere, it's just a question of where.

What is it with records from LA, California area................more mysteries than the Bermuda Triangle......anyone want to discuss Sandy Golden? lol.

Dave H.

Social source share

I find this talk of the Balance Town 45 being a bootleg a bit strange, as it is I believe on Genes own record label, don't have discography of Genes or the label so don't know where it fits in with the numbering. Including the Crazy Beat issue (which I do have) Gene has one other release, that is known, beside then Balance Town one.

If a third party pressed it up without Genes permission then it flies in the face of what was said about it back in the 90s. Indeed if this were the case then why didn't they appear here in any quantity, small or large? Don't think even I've got one of the 45s as we didn't get any, which is strange if someone was trying to make money.

I don't actually remember being offered any at the time, having said that we must of shifted some LPs at £30 a pop. Can't recall exactly how many but may have some old paperwork on it somewhere, it's just a question of where.

What is it with records from LA, California area................more mysteries than the Bermuda Triangle......anyone want to discuss Sandy Golden? lol.

Dave H.

Good post Dave and good to have someone that was "in on the deal" at the time.....I got the album and never heard of the 45 until some years later, which is odd because we were mixing in the same social circles back in the early 90s (Bull Royston, Hemel, St Albans, Yarmouth etc.) - although in fairness there was a ton of stuff coming through.....and it was hard to keep up with everything coming in...

If I had a dollar for every singer who claims their record was bootlegged I'd be very rich moderately wealthy. We've had it with others like Mixed Emotions (another California record btw!) where the label owner was clearly as mad as a box of frogs claiming originals were bootlegs and his reissues were the real originals! Not saying that of Gene of course, just re-iterating that just because he tells someone it's a bootleg doesn't make it a bootleg. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!