Old Leeds Central Chart

Barry

don't think so Martyn - think the clue is in the 4th line from the top

Andy

The 4th line names Bub who I assumed had told one of his jokes?

Thought the list was been reported by Tim Finch so thought it was of what was been played at The Central back then & I know Pat was playing some of these tunes back then??

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

just look at the very top before  the list.........did he get what he wanted ....hope so.... :yes:

" blonde with a 40 inch bust  wearing black stockings and suspenders " :wub:

thats the trouble with this site its just  MUSIC and  RECORDS ....

and not enough talk about blondes with 40 inch bust wearing sexy underwear....now off for a very COLD shower.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ian

It'll be just before he went onto play at Wigan won't it?

Only found out recently that he was playing Chandlers before RS.

Cheers

Martyn

Thats what I reckon mate, sometime early 79? Was there as well at this time, remember the central had a sophisticated feel to it and felt a sense of "growing up" a bit and moving away from the 78 style baggy trousers & polyveldts thing

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thats what I reckon mate, sometime early 79? Was there as well at this time, remember the central had a sophisticated feel to it and felt a sense of "growing up" a bit and moving away from the 78 style baggy trousers & polyveldts thing

Steve

Me & Pat more or less passed each other,as he was playing Wigan more I was going to Central more?

I'd have said around late 79 early 80 but you're talking about a few month 30 odd years ago.........I can't remember what I did last week :D

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

The cover ups

2) Construction - Hey Little Way ...

3) Frank Dell - He Broke...

4) General Assembly - Sensitive Mind

6) ?

8) bobby Womack - Find Me Somebody

10) JC Messina - Time Wont Let Me

12) Precisions - Such Misery

14) Tina Roberts - One Way Or The Other 

19) Del Cords - Just A Little Misunderstanding

20) Gerri Thomas - Look What I Got

No 6 anyone (or alternatives to the list ) ??

Social source share

Regarding The Chandlers, I was always credited as the guy who "discovered" it & it was me who first played it at an all-nighter but in fact, a guy called Andy Riding played it at The Irish League in Nelson for a couple of months before I prized it out of him for 20 quid! (quite a lot of money then in 1976...)

Mike

Yes had heard this too & it surprised me even more to find RS third in line :D

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

I got a tape from Pat Brady dated 4/5/78 that has Sax In The Night on it, listed as by D.Hobson.  Also on the tape from the above playlist are Chandlers, Eddie Curtis (Bobby Womack), Velvets and Mickey Laney.  

Sax In The Night was probably a recent release at the time.  Slightly disco-ish, a bit like a cross between Junior Walker - Walk In The Night and Houston Person - Disco Sax, but more basic and not as good.  Have never heard it anywhere else.   

Social source share

Updated, any more for anymore?

2) Construction - Hey Little Way ...

3) Frank Dell - He Broke...

4) General Assembly - Sensitive Mind

6) ?

8) Bobby Womack - Find Me Somebody

10) JC Messina - Time Wont Let Me

12) Precisions - Such Misery

14)  Lela Martin - You can't have your cake

19) Del Cords - Just A Little Misunderstanding

20) Gerri Thomas - Look What I Got

Opinions on Eddie Hubbards Facebook page are that 12 is Ruff Francis & Ellusions - Misery Loves Company (plus Toad post 18 above)

Edited by Steve L
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Andy Riding R.I.P., was playing The Chandlers for more than a couple of months before Pat bought it off him (and it was more than £20, lol).

Also the club was Accy Band Club where it went big, not The Irish League in Nelson, Andy did do a odd spot here and there around the Burnley/Nelson area.

Accy Band Club DJ's were at the time Ginger, Andy, Phil Duckworth and Me.

Before Band Club, Phil, Andy, Me did Accy Legion along with Dougie Anderton R.I.P., Tommy Balmar and Tony Walker.

After the Band Club shut the action took place at The Spinning Jenny, the DJ line up was Ginger, Andy, Phil & Guy. and Colin Curtis was on at a All-Dayer.

That more or less the history of Friday Nights, Soul Scene wise in Accrington 74 - 78.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I got a tape from Pat Brady dated 4/5/78 that has Sax In The Night on it, listed as by D.Hobson.  Also on the tape from the above playlist are Chandlers, Eddie Curtis (Bobby Womack), Velvets and Mickey Laney.  

Sax In The Night was probably a recent release at the time.  Slightly disco-ish, a bit like a cross between Junior Walker - Walk In The Night and Houston Person - Disco Sax, but more basic and not as good.  Have never heard it anywhere else.   

Donald Hopson "It's Over" vocal/inst on Royalty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Donald Hopson "It's Over" vocal/inst on Royalty

I found a clip on internet; instrumental is much better than the vocal.  Didn't think there would be any demand for this, but I see copies went on eBay for around £100 and £140 earlier this year. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!