Darrell Banks On Uk London - The Story So Far

Wow! Love the Tutankhamun moment..... Are the hi res scans still up, pip it on my I-Tunes

Im sitting in my favourite coffee shop,having just collected my Donald Jenkins, the scan to the left was the sellers, no where near as rare as this, but still a big moment in my record collecting life...

rare releases of classic soul 45's don't ya love em!

Mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Wow! Love the Tutankhamun moment..... Are the hi res scans still up, pip it on my I-Tunes

mal

I think the links to them are still in Nick's original topic, also on my facebook page and everyone elses round the world, and if you can click on the photos on my blog site, they will go to a larger size

Social source share

(Photos at https://lostvinylgemsofthe60s.blogspot.co.uk/)

Ladies and Gentleman, you are looking at a piece of record collecting history, certainly the find of the century so far.  Darrell's modest US hit was released by London on a yellow demo copy, but before the record could actually be released, they were hit by an injunction from EMI Records whose Stateside label had the rights to the tracks.  So the demo was withdrawn (after maybe 300 copies got out) and the record came out two weeks later on Stateside.  Picked up by the fledgling Rare Soul scene almost immediately, both sides have deservedly gone on to be regarded as major classics of the genre.

So why is this particular record so special?  Well, it was found by someone I only know as NickW and posted up on Soul Source on sunday night.  Quality of the photograph was poor, and knowing that this didn't exist on a stock copy - not a single one discovered in 48 years - I was incredulous to say the least, and literally said I'd believe it when I see it.  Not long after, Nick posted up these high quality scans, as well as close ups of the run off groove matrixes, and I said there and then that it was kosher and was indeed the first ever Darrell Banks issue to be discovered.  I posted both sides up to Facebook, and within an hour it had, as some people might say, "gone viral".

It was found in the collection of a an ex-Decca employee.

Who knows, perhaps the day after he received this one, the order came through that the record was now not going to be released due to copyright problems, and all copies would have to be destroyed.

Poor NickW has more or less had to go into hiding to escape hordes of mad bidders offering to take it off his hands.  Nick appears to be a collector and he is contemplating keeping it.  Good for him.

In my opinion, this is the rarest record ever released in the UK.  People may refer to Sex Pistols GSTQ on A & M, but we know that a couple of dozen copies of that were given away to staff at the time.

This is - as yet - a one off.  A Northern Soul collector with the financial backing might pay up to £10,000 for this.  If I had the money I would easily pay £5000.  But if NickW does decide to sell it, he shouldn't underestimate the London label collectors out there - they don't like demos, they just want the stock copies, and here is that elusive, one-off stock copy.

If I was given the job of selling it - it would be going to Sotherbeys.  This is a slice of 7" vinyl history.

Now we know how Howard Carter must have felt when he entered that tomb back in 1922 and found it totally intact - this is UK label Northern Soul collecting's Tutankhamun moment.  Let's hope there's not a curse on it!

Now we know the true origin of John Manship's auction descriptions :lol:  :lol: .

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm still stunned by this.

Couldn't be more shocked if I'd found the copy myself.

Think I was the first person to ask the mysterious NickW how much he wanted for it.

I'm still waiting to hear :wink:

He may decide to keep it - and fair play to him if he does - but if it ever comes up for sale I'd certainly be in the bidding.

What makes it really unique - and somehow more intoxicating and important than other 'rarities' that have surfaced in the past 40 odd years - is that none of us knew that it even existed!

It was a myth, a fantasy, a piece of fiction... a legend!

This iconic piece has every possible credential and has raised the game completely.

I said it before and I'll say it again, after this ANYTHING is possible!

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Think I was the first person to ask the mysterious NickW how much he wanted for it.

I'm still waiting to hear :wink:

Sean

That's probably because Mick Smith & Dave Kil currently have him trussed up

in a warehouse somewhere near Stevenage so he cant sell it to anybody else.

Nick is beginning to develop Stockholm Syndrome.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What an excellent summary Pete!.....the link is a dead one.

open+the+door.jpg

Brings me out all poetic it does!

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:

Its loveliness increases; it will never

Pass into nothingness; but still will keep

A bower quiet for us, and a sleep

Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing . . . . .

. . . . . . Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,

Some shape of beauty moves away the pall

And I don't think Keats even had the demo.

Amazing find, been following the threads in awe, thanks for posting the pics.

Social source share

the original  post is still on here - along with all the images (see above)

no real need for two threads running on the same subject so just closing this and ask all to use the original thread as it makes most sense

thanks

mike

Social source share