How, Wow

Quinvy

Has the backing track been used on another 45?

I know the tune very well from 40 odd years ago but I can`t recall the vocals....and I would think I should as the vocals are dreadful....sounds like a Ska/Reggae singist. 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

"HOW" is an awesome record and without doubt the bands best cut! They don`t come much more atmospheric than that......on a par with September Jones I`m Coming Home.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

If Ive done my sums right this adds up to over £1705, but that using Ebays exchange rates, and today they've dropped so they just said on the news ( due to the uncertainty of the Scotland vote)

(£2 Soul Bowl list b.i.t.d. -  I nearly sent it back 'cause it had a small label damage, glad I kept it now :wink: )

Edited by purist
Social source share

It's nice to be on the "I already have that" side versus the 10th highest bidder that can't believe how much it went for side for once.

I feel like there were a few on here in the last couple of years for £800. 

That's about what it should be!!

Social source share

It's the starting price... and it went for $1500 or more in the past...

I wasn't so drastic but it's more or less what i meant

The last Paulette on the open market if I remember rightly went for £1200.  It has regularly, well when it has come up for sale which isn't too often fetched £800 plus which isn't surprising really considering it is a popular spin (just not on soul source), and it is rare.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

That Paulette record is f&cking terrible, it might as well be by Lulu it's that poppy - someone paid $2000 for it?

That's what I mean pete..backings not bad..but the vocal is woeful... Sounds ok in a club when off your head I should imagine... But in the house...yikes... Not sure if it's got a bid in yet.. But it may well sell

Social source share

The last Paulette on the open market if I remember rightly went for £1200.  It has regularly, well when it has come up for sale which isn't too often fetched £800 plus which isn't surprising really considering it is a popular spin (just not on soul source), and it is rare.

Well, my point was I would rather spend £1,332.68 for the masqueraders although the record is not that rare than the £ 800 for paulette. Just my opinion... the price is made by how much I'm willing to pay for it rather than how rare. But I know that the others don't reason like that

Social source share

'How' was a thousand pound sound before eBay took over. Prices dropped for a few years as odd copies surfaced. Now everyone wants this great track and supplies have dried up, the price has rocketed again. Expect hot competition for future copies, especially if they're in good shape as many are stained or have ring- wear

Totally agree.

That copy looked pretty good - they don't turn up like that very often.

My copy is similar condition and I have never had the chance to buy another one in that condition and at a realistic price since I got it. That was 15 years ago.

Plus, the other side is finally, finally getting recognition - it's ace too  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

"How" wasn't a 1000 pound sound before ebay, I and others by the look of this topic can remember it for a lot less, you must have been looking in the wrong places.

You're right Chalky, it can't be more than ten years ago that I sold my own copy for £250 or £300.

As for the Yum Yums demo - I sold one in 2009 for £500, it's worth three times that now?

Social source share

You're right Chalky, it can't be more than ten years ago that I sold my own copy for £250 or £300.

As for the Yum Yums demo - I sold one in 2009 for £500, it's worth three times that now?

I can remember it reaching the dizzy prices of £400/£500 and people saying what they are saying now.

But Dave highlighted the crazy world of the price of Northern Soul records with the price of the Al Williams in comparison to The Masqueraders.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Manship edition 3 valued 'How' at £1,000 in 2004, presumably because that was what it sold for perhaps?

Tim Brown 1st "Guide" 2004 valued at £300 which IMO at that time was nearer the price it was selling for.  I can certainly remember it for around that price without the need to resort to a guide.  Pete Smith commenting on the fact he sold it around then for something nearer Tim's price.....before ebay it was a lot less as well.

Social source share

Tim Brown 1st "Guide" 2004 valued at £300 which IMO at that time was nearer the price it was selling for.  I can certainly remember it for around that price without the need to resort to a guide.  Pete Smith commenting on the fact he sold it around then for something nearer Tim's price.....before ebay it was a lot less as well.

Did anyone take note of Tim's guide? I bought the first two, but they were so inferior to Manship's guides, I hardly ever opened them. Sure, the Masqueraders cost less a decade or two ago, but didn't all records. The astonishing thing is that the top-end sounds are now going for near geometric progression prices. Can't even remember what I paid for mine at Keele in the 1990's, maybe £100, but it was the first time I had a sales- box specimen in my hands and it was going home with me regardless of the price. Al Williams had WOL which would have deterred bidders. What a time this is to be seeing two La Beat records of such calibre up for sale in the same list.

Social source share

Did anyone take note of Tim's guide? I bought the first two, but they were so inferior to Manship's guides, I hardly ever opened them. Sure, the Masqueraders cost less a decade or two ago, but didn't all records. The astonishing thing is that the top-end sounds are now going for near geometric progression prices. Can't even remember what I paid for mine at Keele in the 1990's, maybe £100, but it was the first time I had a sales- box specimen in my hands and it was going home with me regardless of the price. Al Williams had WOL which would have deterred bidders. What a time this is to be seeing two La Beat records of such calibre up for sale in the same list.

Maybe there's a Lester Tipton on the way  :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So now you agree it wasn't a 1k record pre ebay, not even ten years ago      as for price guides, there are some who take no notice of any of them as prices differ just about everywhere.  A guide price doesn't reflect demand or falling demand, quantity turning up and other reasons so by all accounts can be considered out of date almost immediately.

I don't disagree with you regarding the price of top end sounds, they are beyond reason and logic many of them and are enough to turn many away from that side of the market.  Who pays these prices and what is their thinking, is it a serious collector, local DJ's looking for a bigger stage or some looking at these as an investment, pension pot?
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!