What Do People Think About Hit & Runners

Pete S

No paper cups & string for you eh Paul? Your family must have had a few quid!!! :thumbsup:

My question was a little tongue in cheek, I know of the various Mags B&S, Manifesto etc. But do you not think that the level of information regarding events is much greater now than it ever was.

For instance, we had a 'do' in Leeds at the weekend. People from Portsmouth, Kings Lynn, Cheltenham, Wolverhampton, Derby, Harrogate, Darlington, Manchester etc all attended this event because of the internet.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Jamie

link

Jamie, it was the same then as it is now, a lot of the time you go where you know your friends will be :P

Although with us being older and not so concerned with what others think we tend to get talking to people from different places nowadays.

Social source share

• Replies 74
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

QUOTE(Gary1 @ Nov 5 2004, 04:10 PM)

Im back on the scene after avery long break and one of the pleasures of coming back was hearing the four vandals-wrong side of town, what do others think of this track? Is it accepted?

Is this a wind-up!

I think if i see one more mention of the F******** four vandals on this forum....i'll destroy my F********** laptop :angry:

Social source share

There is always a "honeymoon" period where people post and reply to anything and everything until they get bored, a bit like bidding on ebay!

On most forums there is a spectrum of contributors; on one hand there are people who know each other both socially, (niters, soul nights etc) and through the forum, as a meeting place. On the other hand there are 'anoraks' who know the most bizarre details on the subject. In both cases the "newbie" could feel quite intimidated and may only put their head above the parapet once before being shot down and then shrinking into their shell. If you've stumbled across northern and heard Judy Street but on making an inquiry get the piss ripped out of you, you are not very likely to venture back.

Agree with every word.

It can be a bit intimidating to reply to a topic when your a newbie as you are afraid the regulars may take the piss at your lack of knowledge or dissmiss you just because you like a certain oldie that is considered played out by the modern crowd.

New contributor bring new opinions and new ideas and eventually we will become old hands and can take the piss with the best of em!

If this sounds negative it`s not meant to be as I love reading and occasionaly contributing to the forum and I am trying to learn about the current monsters - honestly!

Social source share

I don't really believe a internet forum can be "intimidating" come on, intimidating is being stuck with 4 mates on Leeds Uniteds Lowfield stand surrounded with 500 animals! I think it's down to the individuals confidence , and his belief in the music "HE" loves! I know very little compared with the majority of contributors on this fine forum, but never feel that i have to watch from afar, so come on jump in, and f*** the consequences of your comments.

yours Brett

Social source share

It's the same on every forum - 25 or so really active members, 25 twice a week posters and the rest never post anything, which is of course fine but a bit pointless.  You can't really feel a part of something unless you join in.

As for newbies being intimidated there is only one way to deal with this if someone tries it on, and that's to fight fire with fire.

Anyone remember, what forum was it now, when some lad from the States innocently asked about when Billy Ocean was big on the NS scene and Ian levine absolutely slaughtered this bloke totally unnecesarily, the bloke left, we gave Ian some stick and he picked up his ball and stomped off and created ADVANCED NORTHERN SOUL for the NS elite only.  And the rest is history.  Had it been me, I would have told ian to meet me outside the KFC in Ealing and set my dog on him  :P

link

Spot on Pete. I remember that incident and I thought it just summed up how some people must see the so called scene. And then folks complain about lack of new blood etc.

I was also a member of another forum that I left because of the racist and homophobic content that was allowed. :angry:

On a lighter note though don't you think that some people only make occasional posts because they have short attention spans? Or is that just me?

Hang on...CBBC are showing an updated version of classic Japanese anime Astroboy! And in colour!!

oops. See what I mean? :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

As someone new to the forum, and technically new to the scene: here's my perspective on the northern soul scene as I see it:

First, a short history on how I came to settle into my now fanatical soul state.

Being introduced to the skinhead scene here in the States, it was very complicated and confusing. Most are into OI and other forms of punk music. I myself was drawn to the sound of reggae. I began collecting reggae records(trojan, pama, dr. bird, etc.) but only through mail order for the most part. My appetite for records grew much larger than my reggae infatuation could handle. I started making trips around town looking for soul records. Over the years I would become completely disenchanted with the skinhead scene in general. Through all of this however, one thing thing stuck with me, my love for soul. It seemed to have quite the the snowball effect on my life.

Eight years later, now I am 23. I have spent years on what has seemed like solo mission to discover northern soul: decades after this whole thing started and an ocean away from the people who built this great society of soul appreciation.

In this time I have encountered many people(from the UK and US) who would seeem to rather not have people such as myself(meaning "new" or "fresh" or "unknowlwdgeable") claiming to be a part of this community.

To these people I would only say this:

Please be careful in your attacks on these newcomers. Yes, some may only be fairweather fans, but some are in for the long haul. I myself will be a soul fan regardless of "Northern Soul" or whatever tagline iti assigned. My life has utterly altered by this great music and the great(well...some) people that I have met and shared my love(of this music!) with.

It is very hard to keep up good crowds for soul events here in the states. I myself have taken every oppertunity to share my record collection with others, here. Even to the point where I am travelling alll the way across country(I live in California) to New York to DJ for a crowd of 15 people.

I know it may seem as though US collectors have it made for finding great records, nowadays all the dealers know about the Nothewrn scene.

So, in conclusion, I have had no easy path for obtaining my records, and every bit of knowlwdge has been the reward of my mistakes or ignorance.

So please...take it easy on some of us! Regardless, to quote The Spinners....

"I'll Be Around...."!!!!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I don't really believe a internet forum can be "intimidating" come on, intimidating is being stuck with 4 mates on Leeds Uniteds Lowfield stand surrounded with 500 animals! I think it's down to the individuals confidence , and his belief in the music "HE" loves! I know very little compared with the majority of contributors on this fine forum, but never feel that i have to watch from afar, so come on jump in, and f*** the consequences of your comments.

yours Brett

link

I'll agree to part of that Brett. If you South Yorkshire Dee-Daa's were silly enough to stand on the Lowfield's, then I'll agree that is 'Physical' intimidation. And lets hope you got a kickin'. (JOKE :D ). But from my, and I guess a few others perspective, it is the 'fear' of looking a complete wally or getting slaughtered. The emotions you feel inside can be just as strong. You've got to have felt these emotions to understand them, Brett.

That you have been on the scene for as long as you have, enables you to feel comfortable. I know that you always feel there is more to learn, and there is, but to someone like myself, I know diddly.

It's a long journey, as mentioned by our American friend, Recordwanted, and not all of us are fucking idiots. Everyone has to start somewhere, and these are our first steps. A persons tastes will shape his direction on this scene, whether he wants classic oldies, up-front 60's or Modern.

Tolerance is not one of the 'rare soul collectors' greatest assets. There are always exceptions to the rule, and being totally honest on the whole have found everyone to be helpful and offer guidance.

I was lucky in that my upbringing was 100% soul, so had a bit of a head start. But I think Hippo touched on a complete newcomer, who had say just heard Judy Street and perhaps commented on how good it was. I think the reaction on the whole would be friendly, as people would pick up on the fact instantly they were new to the scene. But I dread to think what would happen if they caught one of the sharper tongues on a bad day! :angry:

I think the best way forward is to embrace newcomers that have a genuine love for the music, guidance in what was then, and what is now. Because people like that aren't gonna know their arse from their elbow.

I truly feel that if we want this scene to continue, and continue the right way then the old Jedi's have to pass the force onto the apprentice's. That's what this, an apprenticeship, one that never ends. If someone is prepared to commit to that undertaking then they need the masters guidance.

And I can think of a couple of you old git's who look like Yoda! :thumbsup::P

Obi-Wan-Jamobi

Social source share

See your viewpoint Jamie,just think at times it's a confidence thing. I remember being at the Dome (Capitol Soul Club) a few years back, when this young buck of a kid walks up to me (never seen him in my life before) and slaps me wildly on my back, the sheer animated expression on his face was a joy to behold.

He told me that he'd been watching me and others dancing, and said that it was fantastic, he'd never attended a "Northern" Soul event before and thought the whole music/atmosphere was incredible. I took time out to tell the fellow a little about our scene, and hope that i left an impression on him as much as he did on me.

So to sum up i'm wildly enthusiastic about newcomers, especially younger lads/lasses they are the future without doubt. Hope i didn't come across to severe with my earlier posting on this thread.

by the way you Leeds swine where in "Sweet Creeping Jesus's" name is my Wee Willie Walker.................. :)

Social source share

QUOTE(Gary1 @ Nov 5 2004, 04:10 PM)

Im back on the scene after avery long break and one of the pleasures of coming back was hearing the four vandals-wrong side of town, what do others think of this track? Is it accepted?

Is this a wind-up!

I think if i see one more mention of the F******** four vandals on this forum....i'll destroy my F********** laptop :angry:

link

Genuine question, hoped for an answer think ill find a more tolerant site (if one exists).

Social source share

Genuine question, hoped for an answer think ill find a more tolerant site (if one exists).

link

Gary, please believe me, this is THE most tolerant site on the net, people here really behave themselves, even I behave myself - you really have to experience the goings on elsewhere...the reply to your question was born out of the frustration of the subject being done to death for over 3 years now and I know Brett only meant it as a joke.

Don't go eh? :)

Social source share

link

Hi Gary,

I think there was a big scandal in relation to this track. I appreciate you liked it on its musical merits.

It has been covered on quite a few threads, and I'm sure Mike or Kolla will post up a link when they read this.

If it was a genuine question and you honestly didn't know the background to it, then I think you were a little unfortunate to pick it.

Hopefully you won't get too peed off by it, and continue to post.

Jamie

(Brett & Co hang your collective heads in shame!!)

Social source share

I'll agree to part of that Brett. If you South Yorkshire Dee-Daa's

Typical West Yorks woollyback. You're nearly Lancastrians for Gods sake :):)laugh.gif:)

Totally agree with the rest of your post though !

Social source share

by the way you Leeds swine where in "Sweet Creeping Jesus's" name is my Wee Willie Walker.................. :)

link

Like my Tax Disc, it's in the post, you In-Bred, Web-Toed, Banjo-Playing Pit-Prop. :)laugh.gif:)

J laugh.gif

Social source share

Like my Tax Disc, it's in the post, you In-Bred, Web-Toed, Banjo-Playing Pit-Prop.  :)   laugh.gif   :)

laugh.gif

link

Jamie, I don't think the Brett Stalking relay team are going to be too happy with you :)

Social source share

link

My apologies Gary, didn't mean to offend, sometimes on here you forget not everyone can read every thread,not to fussed on the old Vandals number myself by the way.

all the best Brett

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert