John Manship Auction Results 10 - 9 - 2014

JOE TORQUAY

9290_1sm.jpg9290_1sm.jpg9290_2sm.jpg
Bill Bush I'm Waiting

Addictive in the extreme!

Perpetually activating the dancefloor “Sardine Effect” immediately those sexy-Sax-notes blow.

Unique in it’s make-up, unforgettable in it’s style.

Perfect Northern Soul - Perfect condition!

Unmissable!

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 1,406.00

9293_1sm.jpg9293_1sm.jpg9293_2sm.jpg
Ernest Sparks I'll Be Glad C/w Send For Me

From that era of Stafford’s “Top Of The World”; the scene that cradled Northern Soul through its leaner decade of the 80s. THis is one of it’s most-memorable discoveries, when the legendary Guy Hennigan covered it up and rechristened it as TATE - Saving All My Love For You. Good choice that man, as there are many similarities to Tate’s - Cloverstreet 45s.

Having remaining very rare through all the following decades, you may well need a refresher spin, to reveal Guy’s penchant for the outer-most-potent side of Northern Soul.

A rare Detroit/New York hybrid, as the talented Mr. Ernest Kelley N./Y./Motor City commuter guides his namesake through an explosive high-octane horn driven juggernaut, with no truck-stops for a breather, “Sparks” is on a direct dancefloor mission of the most relentless kind.

Surely an Hennigan “Bomb” that begs to be dropped again..

Condition is flawless

The winning bid was £ 247.00

9296_1sm.jpg9296_1sm.jpg9296_2sm.jpg9296_3sm.jpg9296_4sm.jpg
Various Artists An Album Full Of Soul

An immaculate copy of one of the 60s rarest Compilation Albums.

We know Top Rank, Stateside, London & Sue throughout the 60s gave the British record collector a passport to the USA Soul scene and of course built the foundations of Northern Soul.

But we must not overlook the roll that the Soul Album played in bringing the “unknown” soul recording to these shores…A big influence on my “Young Soul Boys” days were the Soul City, Action, Minit or the BackTrack 6 compilations, full of recordings not issued as 45s in Britain. To the English Soulie artists like Brooks O’Dell, Bobbie Smith, Betty Harris, Pearl Woods, Eddie Billups, Freeman Brothers etc. were a mystery at the time, as Stateside executives pulled the obscure from the 1964 / 1965 Amy/Mala/Bell catalog.

This copy is in glorious condition, near perfect in everyway. Mint - vinyl, two Mint labels, a cover free of any annoying flaws and still hugging it’s original “rice-paper” EMI inner sleeve.

We can only imagine what the Brit Soul fan thoughts when he first heard this enlightening venture into USA Soul. But we can assure you, even though the title is clear about the content, hardly anyone purchased this LP upon release.

Today it is Unicorn-Rare in acceptable condition.. in Mint - nick near “impossible”

Star Track “Big Dee Irwin - You Satisfy My Needs” + 15 other goodies..

The winning bid was £ 191.00

9288_1sm.jpg9288_1sm.jpg9288_2sm.jpg
Jus'us There's Got To Be Some Changes C/w Don't Stop Smiling

JUst love these D.I.Y. street-level soul projects that offer up two contrasting sides more often than not aiming at two different audiences with Weighty-FUNK one side and silky-smooth Sweet Soul the other.

This very obscure 1974 Ohio creation is no exception.

The FUNK side is an angry protest formulation of enraged Horns, swirling Flute supporting snarling vocals and highly pitched chorus. Resulting in positive FUNK flavoured with Jazz and a squealing Sax.

Flip it over and this weeks “Sweet Soul” offering is hiding away on the B-side. A precisely served soulful ballad with falsetto’s in the backing and lead… charmingly primitive, deliciously naive and decidedly soulful.

Two impressive sides from the streets of Akron, stupidly RARE!

The winning bid was £ 148.00

9283_1sm.jpg9283_1sm.jpg9283_2sm.jpg
Servicemen I Need A Helping Hand C/w My Turn

We have so very rarely been able to make to proclaim, whilst talking about this Los Angeles Northern Soul anthem…

THE LABELS ARE THE CORRECT WAY ROUND !!

Almost without exception this 45 left Monarch pressing plant in December 1967 with the labels reversed. So many have this flaw that it has over the years become an almost acceptable vinyl-foible…

But not by all - those of you fastidious about condition will not want a “label reversed” press in the house..but that would mean a glaring omission from your “True NS Classics” run. So before you today is an opportunity to snare one of Northern Soul’s “Pimpernel’s” … the perfect pressing - on the much-admired “Orange Man” label design; a rare thing indeed.

So click the soundfile to be beamed back to that Golden Era of Simon Soussan almost daily finding truly great classic style Northern Soul stompers.

PROPER NORTHERN SOUL at it’s most vibrant..

..but do not overlooked the fabulously Sweet Harmony Ballad “My Turn” on the flipside, truly classy creation.

The winning bid was £ 308.00

9284_1sm.jpg9284_1sm.jpg9284_2sm.jpg
Gypsies It's A Woman's World (you Better Believe It) C/w They're Having A Party

Northern Soul - Real Northern Soul - in the style that built the foundations for NS longevity that shows no signs of ever fading.

If your nearing 60 or slightly over, it is sounds of this calibre that ignite euphoric recall of the “backdrop” littered dancefloors of the early 70s. The synchronized hand clapping and the girls pleated skirts parasoling waist height, momentarily adding a pause to your dance…as a quick peek was in order..or maybe if you have a normal sex-drive it would be your own frantic footwork you remembered…

Pumping J. J. Jackson arrangement with honking horn instrumental breaks at dead-the-right moments…perfect!

You can’t match these classics today - and this title has always been a difficult one to capture..

Whatever it is that you look back on - this tune - makes you remember…

The winning bid was £ 338.00

9295_1sm.jpg9295_1sm.jpg9295_2sm.jpg9295_3sm.jpg9295_4sm.jpg
Timi Yuro Something Bad On My Mind Inc: It'll Never Be Over For Me

Condition of this STEREO USA PROMO press could hardly be better.

Flaw free front and back cover(rubber stamped PROMO) see scan, original inner birth-sleeve, perfect “as new labels” and vinyl which looks just like it did, when it left the factory in 1968.

• Fourth track - side one is the Northern Soul colossus

• It’ll Never Be Over For Me

never issued as a single in the USA - LP only and in this condition as a stereo PROMO it is rather tricky to capture.

The winning bid was £ 51.00

9291_1sm.jpg9291_1sm.jpg9291_2sm.jpg
Bobby Parker Watch Your Step C/w Steal Your Heart Away

Right on the cusp of the British all-night Club scene transferring their musical affections from Modern Jazz to R&B; Bobby Parker breaks surface with a thumpin’ slab of Philadelphia R&B that was to be a dancers & DJ’s choice long after it’s 1961 beginning.

Now considered a classic of it’s time and still to the present a favoured turntable choice on it’s V-Tone USA release at Twisted Wheel revival and choice R&B nights.

Before you today is an immaculate 1961 UK DEMO in blazing Mint - condition…a yellow delight!

The A-side “Powerhouse R&B” it may well offer, but do not overlook the “filthy” slow-drag on the flipside - when Bobby takes inspiration from 50s Ray Charles recordings, snarling a down and dirty bluesy Soul ballad filled with angst and defiance, showered with shrill Sister vocals. SUPERB!

The winning bid was £ 108.00

9286_1sm.jpg9286_1sm.jpg9286_2sm.jpg9286_3sm.jpg9286_4sm.jpg
Various Artists 1970 Norfolk Arena 26" By 32"

Genuine 22 November 1970 Norfolk Arena SOUL SHOW.

A huge 26” by 32” full colour CARD poster

Just look at those acts…

WOW just ogle that line up…

We need to get serious about this ultimate Rare-Soul wall-hanger!

The winning bid was £ 250.00

9292_1sm.jpg9292_1sm.jpg9292_2sm.jpg
W. D. Jordan You Can't Keep Running Away

Very obscure early 80s Los Angeles upbeat dancer that will totally please the Rare-Boogie fans but has more than enough Soul in the gravel-coated vocal to draw in the discerning Rare-Soul fan also.

Not sure on the history of this artist, but my guess is he’s been around a while as vocals of this calibre do not happen over night. The whiskey/Nicotine effect on certain notes adds a depth and validity few frantic sessions can offer.

If we drop the RPM by -2 it becomes another record altogether as the vocal becomes richer and the cracking growl takes on even more character.

Full throttle street-level dancer or if you prefer a rich upbeat floor destroyer.. the choice is the DJ’s…

The winning bid was £ 61.00

9294_1sm.jpg9294_1sm.jpg9294_2sm.jpg
Lee Barry I Don't Need It C/w Man Ain't Nothing

Even in 1966 before the name of Barry White was known outside the streets of Los Angeles his acute awareness to exploit an opportunity was very evident; In spring 1966 with Len Barry riding high with his Decca Sessions. Barry reinvented himself as “Lee Barry” on the off-chance the short-sighted or dyslexic California Radio Jock may take a 2nd. glance and spin Barry’s one and only release under that “too close for comfort” name.

The Rare BLUE Stock copy, gives hints of the genius that was about to surface as one of the greatest exponents of the “Soul” Sound the world had ever seen.

Both sides written, arranged & produced by Barry White; ripple with the ingredients that would rocket him the world-fame only a few years later. Heavy Girl-Group presence supports his unique “Walrus” vocal… as he serves up deeply atmospheric, down & dirty Northern Soul embroidered with blaring horns, insistent girl choruses soaring high over Barry White’s signature snarl… matched up against a droning horns and tinkling vibes, completely wonderful.

Fantastic tune yet to achieve it’s glaring NS potential - the flipside which Barry led with, hooked into another “hit” sound of the day - The Percy Sledge styled Deep Soul ballad, a finely crafted effort it is too.

With all this thought and care taken on this release, surprisingly this breakthrough attempt failed miserably - leaving the NS collector another rarity to chase, as the release copy in Mint - condition, is seldom if ever seen for sale.

Historical and essential Northern Soul in it’s rarest form… love both sides

The winning bid was £ 97.00

9289_1sm.jpg9289_1sm.jpg9289_2sm.jpg
Betty Turner & The Chevelles The Winds Kept Laughing C/w Little Miss Misery

It must be very confusing for the NS “Outsider” to try and identify the Northern Soul “sound” when you compare this week or indeed any weeks listings, the spectrum of the music stretches far & wide, but all have something very special, that certain indescribable quality that lifts it up and grabs your attention. In this case from an ordinary girl-vocal to a record that creeps under-your-skin and stays put.

Betty Turner’s rarest 45 ripples with “Popcorn flavoured” horns, shrill girl chorus and Betty’s lead vocal bubbling her way through the lyrics. Then there’s Holly St. James style “Kettle Drums” booming unexpectedly and the uttering out of kilter “Sherriff Of Nottingham” style horns calling from the castle walls… what is that all about?

..BUT IT WORKS and it’s works brilliantly as proven by decades of being a cherished dancefloor favourite - and guess what? The overlooked mid-tempo flipside is thoroughly captivating too..

NORTHERN SOUL? Well, it’s the little things that count, those special additions to a production that make it standout from the norm..

This promo has magnificently clean, the only blemish is the PROMO MAN George Jay I.D. stamp on the label.

The winning bid was £ 490.00

9272_1sm.jpg9272_1sm.jpg9272_2sm.jpg
Gloria & The T-aira's I'm Satisfied C/w Running Out Of Time

Mysterious Chicago plagiarizing of Detroit and Motown, as Jerry Mundo & Sunny Sawyer craft totally flawless on-the-money Northern Soul!!

Who?…. yes Jerry Mundo & Sunny Sawyer are not names that jump to mind whilst thinking of 60s Chicago Soul but the pairing hits a “Bulls eye” with these two sessions… with the equally obscure “Jose Soul” doing the arranging this one-off session planted on one of the most-eye-catching of labels is a Northern Soul enigma, and rare in the extreme.

Another riddle is why has this not joined the upper tier of Northern Soul trophies like Lillie Bryant, Tamala Lewis, Yvonne Vernee etc. every darn note as good and equally elusive! The answer is obvious, as it never became a Wigan, Mecca or Cleethorpes Monster, but to be honest I don’t think I ever saw a DJ with a copy at “The Pier” but did receive enthusiastic plays in 1977 from both Soul Sam & the legendary “Poke” with the other mortals only able look on in envy it never became the “classic” it so deserved…

Leaving me to summarize, damn RARE, Awesome Northern Soul who’s value is only a fraction of what it would have been had it received regular turntable visits at any of these iconic clubs..

Is this another record suffering from it’s own serious unavailability…

Click the soundfile - TWO killer tunes await you; prepare to be drawn into the same needing of ownership… that the magical label has already imposed upon you.

The winning bid was £ 463.00

9287_1sm.jpg9287_1sm.jpg9287_2sm.jpg
Skull Snaps My Hang Up Is You C/w It's A New Day

For the Northern Soul Scene this was a groundbreaking spin. As New York’s finest broke ranks with straight-soul, changing direction to bring you innovative in-ya-face Soul/Funk that took the Blackpool Mecca by surprise as the Highland Room jocks played numerous tracks from their coveted 1973 album.

Although the album never enjoyed UK release fortunately this short-Lived UK GSF label (that only managed just over 10 releases) chose wisely, every one now rare and highly collectable; this example being the most sought after and highest valued.

Once you click the soundfile you’ll know exactly why.

Listen to “The Diplomats” with a change of name and style, bringing themselves back with a bang. BOTH sides offer up intricate, attitude driven solid-FUNK. Topside became a Mecca, Cleethorpes classic, that has been enjoying a recent revival from notable Jocks.

Flip it over for an highly respected, and far meatier FUNKER that is now in favour, as FUNK invades the Northern Soul turntables..

Look gorgeous and offers so much for the £££…

The winning bid was £ 322.00

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I bought Gypsies - Womans world on a demo this week on evilbay and paid £40, did I get the ultimate bargain alternatively did someone pay top dollar or a combination of both?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301298576707?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It certainly puts auctions into perspective.

You got a great buy there and it sounds really good - I'd say your version was worth £75 to £100, would have been more but for the clicks in the middle.  Having said that I rare a minter at £200 to £250, have to say not had one for years though and never had an issue which I would rate at the price that the auction one went for.

Social source share

What do you guys think of Album Full Of Soul and Gloria & T-Airas? Both went for about twice as much as I expected.

Gloria & T-Airas, about right really I think, £400 maybe, I was lucky enough to buy a couple of copies when it was still hardly known (despite it having one Wigan play in 77) but it was £100+ then, 20 years back - in fact I got my first one off Gene Robertson on here as a swap...anyway point being, a very tough record to find.  Quality too.  I have a very special copy with Lost Soul on the other side  :lol:

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

the gloia and the tiaras wen bi tad cheap I thought, great tune and been in my box for about 10 years now. nice to see lots of positive vibes this week.

Social source share

You got a great buy there and it sounds really good - I'd say your version was worth £75 to £100, would have been more but for the clicks in the middle.  Having said that I rare a minter at £200 to £250, have to say not had one for years though and never had an issue which I would rate at the price that the auction one went for.

Been listing the same copy for sale on here since 2012 from £200 - £250 with no takers.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

If the Betty Turner was being sold for someone else I think they must be very disappointed with the final price. After JM takes his cut, they'll be well down if they bought it set sale in the last 10 to 15 years. IMO its a solid 500 quid record, with some for sale even recently at 600.

Social source share

If the Betty Turner was being sold for someone else I think they must be very disappointed with the final price. After JM takes his cut, they'll be well down if they bought it set sale in the last 10 to 15 years. IMO its a solid 500 quid record, with some for sale even recently at 600.

There's no shortage of copies for sale though. I would have thought that had a bearing on the price?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

There's no shortage of copies for sale though. I would have thought that had a bearing on the price?

looking at the Skullsnaps. not always :lol:  But it is a fair point.

I'm trying to get together enough to make an offer on one for sale at the minute.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

What do you guys think of Album Full Of Soul and Gloria & T-Airas? Both went for about twice as much as I expected.

gloria and the tiaras is a rare rare tune......that,s cheap compared to some of the other stuff!!

betty turner.......load of crap if ever l heard some.....why would ya give more than tupennce for it.........it,s a poor record

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert