New Book on Soul LPs just released

John,

The site now has a review section. I'm sure if you sent Mike (or one of us reviewers) a copy of the book, we would give it a fair hearing on here & maybe the review would generate a few extra sales.     JRS

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Thanks Roburt and Mike.  Roburt, very happy to send a copy for review. What address shall I send it to please ?

Mike, yes, physically available right now. I've already shipped out a number of books...

I think Volume 2 is probably at least a couple of years away. Volume 1 has 408 pages and 435,000 words. It took me three years. But I've learned a lot in that time about how to write a book and the countless hours i wasted by needless editing will save me loads and loads of time for Volume 2 , and I've already started it, but I don't expect it to take three years this time around. .

John

Social source share

6 minutes ago, johndelve said:

Thanks Roburt and Mike.  Roburt, very happy to send a copy for review. What address shall I send it to please ?

Mike, yes, physically available right now. I've already shipped out a number of books...

I think Volume 2 is probably at least a couple of years away. Volume 1 has 408 pages and 435,000 words. It took me three years. But I've learned a lot in that time about how to write a book and the countless hours i wasted by needless editing will save me loads and loads of time for Volume 2 , and I've already started it, but I don't expect it to take three years this time around. .

John

as well as the listings by artist are there any 'top 100' type listings - thinking of those two articles you did for VFTS and 'In The Basement' - which were great reads (and some great recommendations) ...

BTW that is some achievement and great that you have documented an often overlooked aspect of Soul Music....................

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks again, Mike. Yes, a top 100 list is included ( but one only taken from artists covered within this book, ie only from those from A - K. I've also done a top 25 'best of' list. The book hopefully make sit clear why I've done two lists...

As I say in my preface, I've got fed up of waiting for someone else to do it, so did it myself ! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

John, RE: sending a copy of your book ......... I'm one of the reviewers (as I stated earlier) BUT it's Mike who allocates 'who gets what' to review. However, I love all types of soul (southern, Chicago, deep, some sweet, bluesy, Nola, 60's, 70's, 80's, etc) so would love to be asked to review your book (my soul LP collection is also extensive, so I should be able to do the book justice).

BTW, do you also include UK released albums (Bell Cellar of Soul, 60's Chess comps, Impression Big 16, etc.) in the book ?

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Roburt said:

John, RE: sending a copy of your book ......... I'm one of the reviewers (as I stated earlier) BUT it's Mike who allocates 'who gets what' to review. However, I love all types of soul (southern, Chicago, deep, some sweet, bluesy, Nola, 60's, 70's, 80's, etc) so would love to be asked to review your book (my soul LP collection is also extensive, so I should be able to do the book justice).

BTW, do you also include UK released albums (Bell Cellar of Soul, 60's Chess comps, Impression Big 16, etc.) in the book ?

Yes and no, is the answer to your question. I have deliberately avoided "various artists" compilations as I'm already conscious of the size and weight of book and this would have just pushed up time taken to write it, weight, cost, etc. etc up even further given there are so many various artists comps out there.

However, on the other hand, I do refer to Big 16 as it is obviously not a various artists collection. But I don't talk about it much as I have chosen to spend more time on "albums as albums" rather than "greatest hits " and "best ofs"..

Social source share

7 minutes ago, johndelve said:

However, on the other hand, I do refer to Big 16 as it is obviously not a various artists collection. But I don't talk about it much as I have chosen to spend more time on "albums as albums" rather than "greatest hits " and "best ofs"..

Seem to remember the criteria for your Top 100's was that they had to be contemporaneous releases for the artists and not retrospective collections so the likes of Irma Thomas' Muscle shoals was ruled out ....which I think on balance is probably the right approach

Social source share

Yes, Mike, absolutely right and my new top 100 in the book reflects this approach. The top 25 list I also include is one that DOES deal with retrospective sets as the likes of "Bill Coday" and "The Artistry of Brenda Holloway" are just too good to not deserve a highlight of their own....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, johndelve said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place within Soul Source to announce this or not. If not, apologies, but I did want to make people aware of a book I have just written and had published which is now available for sale. I'm attaching a handful of pictures which should give a bit more information but as I have said in my product description on Amazon : 

This is the definitive attempt in book form to list and discuss thousands of soul LPs that were issued in the vinyl era. Volume 1 addresses album releases by hundreds of artists from the famous - James Brown, Marvin Gaye and Aretha Franklin - to the much more obscure - John Byrd, Harmon Bethea and Geater Davis. Beautifully produced in hardback, including 108 colour photographs of LP covers, Spinning Around : The History Of The Soul LP, Volume 1 : A - K, is the first truly comprehensive study of this topic ever undertaken anywhere in the world.  

My plan was to announce this in conjunction with its availability on Amazon but trying to get it ready for sale there is proving to be a nightmare although I'm sure it will be sorted out soon.

An alternative means of sale is simply for anyone who is interested in buying a copy to contact me directly at john.lias@googlemail.com and I can ship copies directly. Price is £20 + £2.80 postage anywhere in UK.

Same selling price holds true for other parts of the world but postage is going to be expensive, I'm afraid, as book is heavy. But it really looks great, If I say so myself. 

Thanks

John Lias

page fb.jpg

frontfb.jpg

Backfb.jpg

Well done John fantastic achievement

All the best

Manus

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm sure 'Roburt' of this parish will be reviewing this book shortly but having possessed a copy for a few days now I can honestly say that in my opinion John Lias has written and published a major book on soul music history. I really haven't been able to put the somewhat substantial book down for days now. The first thing you notice is that Lias can write fluent and readable English. I recall his articles in 'Voices' and they were always so well informed and that characteristic translates to this book in bundles. It is has so many interesting facts surely published in print for the first time. The acknowledgement list includes credit to those doyens of great writing David Cole and John Ridley and with that quality in support and Lias' ability you are off to a winner from the start to the finish. 

This monumental and thrilling endeavour includes reviews of Lps of the famous : Etta, Aretha, Bobby Bland etc.,  to the obscure: Perk Badger, Carrie Cleveland, Electric Indian., Lias has attempted and as far as I can see succeeded in writing about every american artist who released a soul LP during the golden age of soul which he argues with strong evidence lasted from c1960 to 1982. Virtually every page brings new information. Who knew for example, that Norman Feels who cut two LPs in the 70s was also Norman Solomon who fronted The Preludes in the early 60s. Likely there will be minor criticisms but as far as I am concerned Lias has done a marvelous job and confirmed that he is a major writer on soul music. 

I'll give way for others to write about their experiences with this first volume adding only that the publication values are also exemplary. There are a series of beautiful colour plates within the text depicting LP covers. Such a pleasure to see such things well done without compromise. Brilliant stuff.

Edited by Stormcock
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 16:13, Stormcock said:

I'm sure 'Roburt' of this parish will be reviewing this book shortly but having possessed a copy for a few days now I can honestly say that in my opinion John Lias has written and published a major book on soul music history. I really haven't been able to put the somewhat substantial book down for days now. The first thing you notice is that Lias can write fluent and readable English. I recall his articles in 'Voices' and they were always so well informed and that characteristic translates to this book in bundles. It is has so many interesting facts surely published in print for the first time. The acknowledgement list includes credit to those doyens of great writing David Cole and John Ridley and with that quality in support and Lias' ability you are off to a winner from the start to the finish. 

This monumental and thrilling endeavour includes reviews of Lps of the famous : Etta, Aretha, Bobby Bland etc.,  to the obscure: Perk Badger, Carrie Cleveland, Electric Indian., Lias has attempted and as far as I can see succeeded in writing about every american artist who released a soul LP during the golden age of soul which he argues with strong evidence lasted from c1960 to 1982. Virtually every page brings new information. Who knew for example, that Norman Feels who cut two LPs in the 70s was also Norman Solomon who fronted The Preludes in the early 60s. Likely there will be minor criticisms but as far as I am concerned Lias has done a marvelous job and confirmed that he is a major writer on soul music. 

I'll give way for others to write about their experiences with this first volume adding only that the publication values are also exemplary. There are a series of beautiful colour plates within the text depicting LP covers. Such a pleasure to see such things well done without compromise. Brilliant stuff.

I agree it's very detailed and informative and a genuinely important addition to the Soul canon of essential reference books I think.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Received my copy through the post yesterday and have to agree from just a skim through so far focussing on some LP's that I own and many that I'd like to add eventually...a really great piece of work and absolute top quality content, paper and print quality + book binding (sorry I do like a good binding!) essential for anyone remotely interested in soul LP's and this will certainly be my regular read when time allows. Must've taken so many hours of hard graft, research and also time at the keyboard. Thank you John and already can't wait for "L-Z" if you can find the time and energy. Not a gripe by any means but would've loved to see more artwork included, though the dozen pages in the middle are lovely to look through and actually a hard back book just full of soul/funk LP artwork and no words would also be great if such a thing exists? Thanks again John and I hope you're duly rewarded for all your efforts on this. In fact I reckon I need two copies...one to use regularly and work through over the next ten years or more with post it notes and highlighter etc and one to keep in pristine condition on the book shelf. Cheers, Steve

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout
3 hours ago, irishpip said:

That's good and nice to see the cover art, but it is really about the cover artists/photographer's rather than about the albums themselves which is what ultimately let's it down IMVFHO

Social source share

18 minutes ago, Johnny One Trout said:

That's good and nice to see the cover art, but it is really about the cover artists/photographer's rather than about the albums themselves which is what ultimately let's it down IMVFHO

I agree with JOT, even many of the album covers displayed in the F&SC book have no detail at all on the actual records & their contents. Marvin Gaye's (& other) massive sellers do get some data about them included in the book but it's all the others we really need info on ......

Funk&SoulCovers.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 10/03/2016 at 11:24, Scotters said:

Received my copy through the post yesterday and have to agree from just a skim through so far focussing on some LP's that I own and many that I'd like to add eventually...a really great piece of work and absolute top quality content, paper and print quality + book binding (sorry I do like a good binding!) essential for anyone remotely interested in soul LP's and this will certainly be my regular read when time allows. Must've taken so many hours of hard graft, research and also time at the keyboard. Thank you John and already can't wait for "L-Z" if you can find the time and energy. Not a gripe by any means but would've loved to see more artwork included, though the dozen pages in the middle are lovely to look through and actually a hard back book just full of soul/funk LP artwork and no words would also be great if such a thing exists? Thanks again John and I hope you're duly rewarded for all your efforts on this. In fact I reckon I need two copies...one to use regularly and work through over the next ten years or more with post it notes and highlighter etc and one to keep in pristine condition on the book shelf. Cheers, Steve

Steve, thanks very much for kind words. It is much appreciated. I like the binding, too. I was determined to give this my best shot and I didn't want to stint on quality. 

Unless sales are absolutely disastrous - hopefully not of course - there will definitely be a Volume 2, and indeed, I am a little way along with it.

Cheers

John

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Received mine this week. What a fantastic effort!

Just after the first few pages have already learned more about albums/artists I thought I knew everything about! I know this is going to be a real treat.

Congratulations John and echoing my mate Scotters please persevere with the next instalment.

Tony Horn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

I've been living with John Lias' 'Spinning Around' book for about one month now and it is all ready well thumbed  and annotated. As the research is so comprehensive it's proved a fantastic asset and I'd have thought that anyone passionately interested in Soul music will get so much from this book. At £20  it is incredibly well priced. I feel that because the book is so well written it will become one of the Top Ten books written on soul music remaining in print for many years. I think it's that good. 

To those that are prepared to spend £1500 on a LP that probably doesn't exist why not spend £20 on this splendid book and get hours of enjoyment. 

Edited by Stormcock
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!