Oldest Northern Track?

Nocker

Hi

Listening to a few tracks on Soulgirls site last night whilst doing the ironing, yes again!!! And with respect Soulgirl, some of the tracks IMO push the boundry on N/S, example being the Edmundo Ross instro of Summertime, its sounds like it was made in the 30ts. This isn't having a go, as I think the site is great, just got me thinking.

I guess most people think (should i say the best) records from about 1964 onwards would be about right as a starting point, but I am sure if the scene started at clubs like the Wheel etc in the early 60ts people must have been looking back then, could we say late 50ts. Would the tracks played then stand up now? Any ideas on the oldest?

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi

Listening to a few tracks on Soulgirls site last night whilst doing the ironing, yes again!!! And with respect Soulgirl, some of the tracks IMO push the boundry on N/S, example being the Edmundo Ross instro of Summertime, its sounds like it was made in the 30ts. This isn't having a go, as I think the site is great, just got me thinking.

I guess most people think (should i say the best) records from about 1964 onwards would be about right as a starting point, but I am sure if the scene started at clubs like the Wheel etc in the early 60ts people must have been looking back then, could we say late 50ts. Would the tracks played then stand up now? Any ideas on the oldest?

Ask Stevie B if Edmundo Ross was played at any soul nite in the 30's John - likely that he played it out around then :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Grant, your right, he would have picked it for a couple of old pennies knowing Steve. hope your all right mate?

If this has been done before I must have missed it, what was the oldest then? Cheers

Dunno, can't find the old thread, but it was 58/59'ish. (Not counting any of that so-called r&b/R&R stuff, of which quite a few I belive are late 50's)

Social source share

Hi

Edmondo Ross. Could easily be the 40's

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Edmondo Ross. Could easily be the 40's

Edmundo Ross worked with other bands, but did not have his own til the early 50's However, it is NOT northern soul. Just 'cos it was on soulgirls site don't make it so, and she has some dodgy taste in music anyhow :shades: Think that Fay Simmons "tell me i'm yours' was '59?? probably one of the earliest to acually be played out, although Saxie Russell has a misprinted 1958 on the label :shhh:

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Hi

"Where have all the flowers gone" must have a few cob-webs on! :shades:

Martin

Social source share

Hi

Any ideas on the oldest?

if you mean proper R&B tracks played on the scene, i'd say stuff like

richard berry - have love will travel

little walter - my babe

charles sheffield - voodoo (this is a late 50s recording, isnt it?)

are among the oldest played.

but oldest 'proper northern' tracks? how about jimmy ruffin on miracle? 61'ish...

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Thinks it something like Jackie Wilson Because of You or The Exits You Got To Have Money, it appears that these have been played out continuously since the 1920s. :shades:

Or have I got the wrong idea about this thread?

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Surely by default Wade in the water wins it? the song is as old as the hills

Wer're talking actual date of records Baz, not songs, I think. Lots of songs date back to the 20's/30's, like 'Put your arms around me' Old music hall song from the 20's but you wouldn't play the 20's version :shades: The question was also 'oldest northern track' which discounts R&B unless played at a northern niter or soulnite, not an R&B nite. I think we should also define it as a generaly accepted northern record, not just something someone played once in the backroom of a pub in 1975!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Thanks to everyone who has replied, Really i was thinking of what we would term Northern Soul, e.g soul content, with a dance beat, i don't need to give examples, not R&B or any other variant which seems to get labled N/S because it has a bit of a (dance) beat. To me as i said at the start of the thread from 64 onwards is the real starting point for N/S anything before wasn't N/S and sould be termed Rock and Roll/Pop/R&B/Doo Wop or what ever, depending on how far back you go. Also some "sound clips" seem to get slipped in as Northern when really they are nothing to do with Northern Soul they are too old, really they are dancable R&B etc. Even John Manships rarest of the rare pushes the term IMO. Has anyone realised we now have more then one style of "Northern Soul", One for dancing to, and one to sit and listen to at home!!!

Social source share

Thanks to everyone who has replied, Really i was thinking of what we would term Northern Soul, e.g soul content, with a dance beat, i don't need to give examples, not R&B or any other variant which seems to get labled N/S because it has a bit of a (dance) beat. To me as i said at the start of the thread from 64 onwards is the real starting point for N/S anything before wasn't N/S and sould be termed Rock and Roll/Pop/R&B/Doo Wop or what ever, depending on how far back you go. Also some "sound clips" seem to get slipped in as Northern when really they are nothing to do with Northern Soul they are too old, really they are dancable R&B etc. Even John Manships rarest of the rare pushes the term IMO. Has anyone realised we now have more then one style of "Northern Soul", One for dancing to, and one to sit and listen to at home!!!

==============

Mid tempo, R&B, Stompers, 7Ts, crossover, oldies, newies, modern.......yeah I guess you could say there's more than one style :shades:

Social source share

charles sheffield - voodoo (this is a late 50s recording, isnt it?)

It was released in 1961.

Additionally, there are two older recordings that come to mind. "Baby Please Don't Go" by Jo Ann Henderson dates from around 1955, whilst "That's Why I Cry" by Varetta Dillard is a 1958 release.

Social source share

Thinks it something like Jackie Wilson Because of You or The Exits You Got To Have Money, it appears that these have been played out continuously since the 1920s. :D

Or have I got the wrong idea about this thread?

PMSL Brilliant :yes::shades:

.....................Now get that phone number sorted One Deck :shhh:

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest mel brat

Hi

Why assume that the early club scene was "looking back" for it's music? The early Mods would only have played the very latest records surely, and wouldn't have been looking back at all! - That would have been anathema to any self respecting mod I should think!? At about the time "Northern" Soul got it's moniker, (1970/71) I remember that it was commonly accepted that the "Golden years" for dance records were 1964-68. Nobody I knew would have dreamed of claiming that records from the 50's be played at Rhythm and Soul/Rare soul clubs, though I daresay some the older collectors owned many R&B sides from new...

Social source share

Why assume that the early club scene was "looking back" for it's music? The early Mods would only have played the very latest records surely, and wouldn't have been looking back at all! - That would have been anathema to any self respecting mod I should think!?

Half the records on UK Sue were reissues from the 50's and early 60's...that was supposedly the number one Mod label with it's finger on the pulse

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert