Voice Masters - You've Hurt Me baby

billb

Q1 ... Did Frisco really put out 2 different versions of the Voice Masters 45 ... one featuring "In Love In Vain" & the other having "Dance Crazy" as the flip side ??

I guess they must have as "In Love In Vain" is numbered 15235-C, which would make "Dance Crazy" 15235-B.

They didn't seem to promote this 45, so why put it out twice ??  The label must have done some deal (in 65) with a promoter up on the east coast as Frisco 110 (Danny White) charted up in DC (& I'd guess it got some action in Memphis where it was cut).

2nd Q ... my contacts in St Louis assure me that the Voice Masters 45 was released on the local Copa label first. That is where it's Frisco number originated it seems. However, I've never actually seen (in the flesh) a copy of this 45 on Copa. Anyone here got a copy of it ??

Q3 ... There was a Copa label out of Texas, was this a totally seperate entity ?

Frisco44.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 4 years later...
On 19/08/2016 at 07:48, Roburt said:

Q1 ... Did Frisco really put out 2 different versions of the Voice Masters 45 ... one featuring "In Love In Vain" & the other having "Dance Crazy" as the flip side ??

I guess they must have as "In Love In Vain" is numbered 15235-C, which would make "Dance Crazy" 15235-B.

They didn't seem to promote this 45, so why put it out twice ??  The label must have done some deal (in 65) with a promoter up on the east coast as Frisco 110 (Danny White) charted up in DC (& I'd guess it got some action in Memphis where it was cut).

2nd Q ... my contacts in St Louis assure me that the Voice Masters 45 was released on the local Copa label first. That is where it's Frisco number originated it seems. However, I've never actually seen (in the flesh) a copy of this 45 on Copa. Anyone here got a copy of it ??

Q3 ... There was a Copa label out of Texas, was this a totally seperate entity ?

Frisco44.jpg

Spot the credit ? anyone ever get a copy ? or was it never released as such ?

Gene 2.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

• 1 year later...
On 18/08/2016 at 23:48, Roburt said:

Frisco44.jpg

I've never seen a St. Louis-based Copa Records.  I have a couple records on The Texas label.  Both my Houston-based Copa label records have 8000 series catalogue numbers, with that same number and a -A designation for the plug side.  So, unless the Texas label changed their cut number series, that 5-digit number (15235) probably comes from a different, St. Louis-based Copa label (not likely to have been affiliated with the Houston label. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!