Your first list?

Not sure if this has been covered before, but would be nice to know what the first ever record list you recieved?
This is mine, just the front page (it is the complete list though) of the first ever 'Richard Searling' list produced.
Not sure what year this will have been but I would definitely say the early to mid 1970s

img043.jpg

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Wow ,what spiffing thread my first ;

From Record Collector;1969, collectors Auctions ! camberly Surrey , Mitch Ryder "Breakout' £1,50 

F. L. Moore Leighton Buzzard;  " Spookies Day Off " Swinging Soul Machine : Belgium Polydor 50shillings ,  Arthur Conley "Funk Street" ,missed that Fat Fish one .

Brian 45 Phillips , 5 Gilpin  Red ,Middleton Manchester ; "That,s Enough' Roscoe Robinson W, Pye demo £2.00,various Dodgy emidiscs ; Incredible , Dynatones, at £3 each.Plus loads of deletions From ; Roy Hurst records , Market Stall ,Eg Platters "washed Ashore "at 2/6pence

Social source share

About 1984-85, that little book type list with tiny print put out by Richard Domar...Sent away my SAE after seeing the advert in Echoes when I was first getting into the scene. That showed Not all the stories of prices back in the day are good with hindsight. In that book / list was the Feathers "Trying to get to you" on Team for £100. Remember seeing that and dying to hear it... Then I did, oh dear! On a positive note got loads of £1 and £2 shots from the list phoning back week after week.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

30 minutes ago, mark w said:

About 1984-85, that little book type list with tiny print put out by Richard Domar...Sent away my SAE after seeing the advert in Echoes when I was first getting into the scene. That showed Not all the stories of prices back in the day are good with hindsight. In that book / list was the Feathers "Trying to get to you" on Team for £100. Remember seeing that and dying to hear it... Then I did, oh dear! On a positive note got loads of £1 and £2 shots from the list phoning back week after week.

mine were a couple of years later from domar, had the accents - think again for £2 on it and god knows what else

• Helpful 2
Social source share

14 hours ago, mark w said:

strange about the Feathers..cos that was a known tune from the early 70's..not a great tune which is why it never took off..lots copies about in 1974 so surprised it was listed at £100..i had one £1.50...

Social source share

15 hours ago, geeselad said:

mine were a couple of years later from domar, had the accents - think again for £2 on it and god knows what else

Remember he had a copy of Vickie Baines up for about 2 years for a ton and just couldn't sell it back then.

Used to buy a lot off him when I was at college in Hull (along with the ubiquitous Soul Bowl - King Tutt £10, Curtis £15, Sad Girl £8 etc etc etc).

Hope you are dong fine AS - we're in hibernation as Pete ain't well.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Remember he had a copy of Vickie Baines up for about 2 years for a ton and just couldn't sell it back then.

Used to buy a lot off him when I was at college in Hull (along with the ubiquitous Soul Bowl - King Tutt £10, Curtis £15, Sad Girl £8 etc etc etc).

Hope you are dong fine AS - we're in hibernation as Pete ain't well.

Dx

sorry to hear that Dave, I rarely out at the mo too, spend most of my time and cash at BMX race tracks nowadays, obscure northern venues, importing rare parts from the states, lol same crap diff pot.

Social source share

My first actual record list woul;d have been F L Moore Leighton Buzzard but don't have it any longer

I do have a collection of paper lists from later on though ie. 

Black Knight Records    great lists these from Gary

Anglo American            bought loads of great records from Tim including excellent soul packs

Crazy Beat                      also some great records

The problem was getting through on the phone  had many a frustrating wait redialing frantically.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

FL Moore was my first list too.  And the first imports I bought?  This old heart - Tammi Terrell and Girls Girls Girls - Chuck Jackson.  The magic of holding those magically colourful Motown imports for the first time was exquisite.  I remember he had a copy of Little Johnny Taylor Zig Zag Lightening for 30 bob.  I may even have that list somewhere.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

My first list was from Steve Glover from somewhere in the Midlands. Either Steve or Brian 45 in Manchester. The first "import" I bought was "Oh I've Been Blessed" Bobby Taylor (VIP) from Spin-Inn Disc Centre, Cross Street, Manchester from Kev Edwards or Gary Laine around 1968 I guess...

Social source share

First lists from the likes of John Anderson, Gem records and Keith Rylatt.Remember running up to top of street with list and a pile of 10p pieces to lean against the lamp post waiting for the classic red box to empty.Then they changed it to the new style box.Got there next day and bugger me the silly people had placed it with the door facing the lamp post.Couldnt open the door enough to get in. :yes:

Its too easy now with the net.It was chuffin hard work on the phone.

Still got loads of lists in a box somewhere that i must root out.Remember a major collection going up for sale in 2-3 lists of coloured paper.Major tuneage of the time on it.Must have a looksie.

Trev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 23 September 2016 at 11:26, SHEFFSOUL said:

strange about the Feathers..cos that was a known tune from the early 70's..not a great tune which is why it never took off..lots copies about in 1974 so surprised it was listed at £100..i had one £1.50...

Hmm, now you mention that I'm wondering if the track was Teamettes trying to get to you, not the Festhers... Could be a bit of haze in the memory...not  impossible thinking about a list from 1984 right enough!!!Never know now s'pose unless someone's got an that old list ??

Edited by mark w
Social source share

1 hour ago, mark w said:

Hmm, now you mention that I'm wondering if the track was Teamettes trying to get to you, not the Festhers... Could be a bit of haze in the memory...not  impossible thinking about a list from 1984 right enough!!!Never know now s'pose unless someone's got an that old list ??

or even "The Poor Side Of Town" ?

Social source share

Just another addition  To the F L Moore above

The then day pay pal  system

Going to Post Office for a postal order and adding it with your order and posting off then waiting for the records to come through the post, absolute agony.

But agree they were my first imports too  those labels made the english ones look drab,but there were the odd exceptions loved Action Deep Soul  Soul City  Buffalo and the demo's of course.

Social source share

23 hours ago, Northern Soul UK said:

Here yer go then, 1st page of Richard Searlings first ever list. Imports £1 each, and remember, this will have been the 1970s :-)

searling list page 1.jpg

Nice memories but they're mostly pressings aren't they? could be a list of stuff I bought at the time - same as most people I knew back then. They were only 85p in Syd Booths in Mansfield though, bargain..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!