Tomangoes

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Claude Williams, the songwriter and pianist on this great recording, is apparently Dusty Williams.

A Dusty Williams was deemed good enough to be on a Memphis Sounds Revue in February 1968 along with such luminaries as Eddie Floyd, Pigmeat Markham, Barbara Mercer, Timmy Willis, JJ Barnes, Pat Lewis, Ruby Andrews etc, at the Riviera Theater on Grand River Avenue.

Having listened to some Dusty Wilson tracks, these untrained ears hear bits of Dusty Williams of the Tomangoe’s.

Just a thought!

Social source share

Keith Rylatt’s book ‘Groovesville USA’ tells us the following about Tomangoe’s.

”A session group consisting of a Dusty Wilson vocal on top of a Bob Seger band track sewn together by label owner Gino Washington”.

This advert backs that up...

636F3B0A-881B-47F2-8278-844B95855940.jpeg

‘Tragedy’ was probably recorded in 1967 and was Dusty Wilson’s final release under that name. Tomangoe’s came a year later.

Keith’s book does not list ‘Williams’ as having a release.

But Williams was ‘well known’ enough to appear on a top class show as mentioned above.

The producer of the show would have known Dusty Wilson well enough to let him take part under his new moniker.

Reasonable assumptions I think, and my ears still pick up similarities in both 45’s, albeit minor.

Edited by David Meikle
Social source share

Ok!

So did Dusty W...appear at the Westwood Ho weekender?

If he did, then it's 99.9 % Wilson and Williams.

Gino Washington is certainly a very talented guy, so putting together this tune as described above would certainly be possible. He did say Dusty was the only tomango just last week.

Ed

Social source share

• 7 months later...

My lass has just been having this conversation with Hitsville Chalky who says that when he interviewed Claude 'Dusty' Williams, Williams stated categorically that he wasn't the artist known as Dusty Wilson and didn't record under that name at all.

I had heard both singers, on records and before I'd read up on it I thought that they sounded like the same voice. My lass did show the evidence she was basing the assumption on that they were one and the same. HC is adamant and does say he got it from Claude Williams himself, linking to an interview, which for some reason I couldn't view but that is by the by.

Not an argument just an interesting discussion about an enigmatic record, all friendly. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Well how absolutely bizarre, watched the interview and Williams did indeed state that he wasn't the artist known as Dusty Wilson.

Which begs the question why was he booked and billed by Phil and Neil for that Soulvation appearance as Dusty Wilson?

The strange world of Northern Soul indeed!

An interesting discussion that seems to have no satisfactory conclusion...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert