Jump to content
Blackpoolsoul

Prince Shell..Chicago Musician and arranger

I was listening to Cookie Scott this morning and wondered who Prince Shell actually was

A little digging found out this. I wondered if we can have some more of the stuff he was credited with please

Eutrice Ulysses "Prince" Shell, accomplished musician, was born in Lott, Texas, USA, on December 31, 1928. He died on April 11 2007. He began playing piano as a child and later studied valve trombone at Chicago's DuSable High School with music educator and band director Walter Dyett. Shell honed his arranging skills while a member of the Tennessee State Collegians big-band at Tennessee State University and also at the Navy School of Music. During his service in the Air Force, Shell became "chief arranger" for the Strategic Air Command Band at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska. He performed and toured with Gene Ammons and Gene McDaniels, and became the house pianist at Chicago's original Regal Theater where he appeared with Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, and others. Shell teamed up with Jesse Jackson and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1970 to arrange for and record their Operation Breadbasket Orchestra and Choir for Chess Records. Sun Ra and other nationally known musicians have performed and recorded his arrangements, and his works have been featured in concerts at the Berklee College of Music and the New England Conservatory of Music.

 

Cookie Scott.jpg

Prince.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Typo

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:19, Blackpoolsoul said:

I was listening to Cookie Scott this morning and wondered who Prince Shell actually was

A little digging found out this. I wondered if we can have some more of the stuff he was credited with please

Eutrice Ulysses "Prince" Shell, accomplished musician, was born in Lott, Texas, USA, on December 31, 1928. He died on April 11 2007. He began playing piano as a child and later studied valve trombone at Chicago's DuSable High School with music educator and band director Walter Dyett. Shell honed his arranging skills while a member of the Tennessee State Collegians big-band at Tennessee State University and also at the Navy School of Music. During his service in the Air Force, Shell became "chief arranger" for the Strategic Air Command Band at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska. He performed and toured with Gene Ammons and Gene McDaniels, and became the house pianist at Chicago's original Regal Theater where he appeared with Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, and others. Shell teamed up with Jesse Jackson and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1970 to arrange for and record their Operation Breadbasket Orchestra and Choir for Chess Records. Sun Ra and other nationally known musicians have performed and recorded his arrangements, and his works have been featured in concerts at the Berklee College of Music and the New England Conservatory of Music.

 

Cookie Scott.jpg

Prince.jpg

And on the yellow and green ORR, you get the instrumental to Mislead by Prince Shell , which is fantastic in its own right.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

It would be nice to know who the Chevelles were. (can I guess they aren't the same band the backed Gloria Walker and Angela Davis ?)

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
7 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Really, thanks for that, I always thought they were a different group.

The players are all listed on the Lp, that’ll be where the info is taken from.  Not sure if they are the same Chevelles on ORR with Cookie Scott, I would assume they are. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 12/02/2019 at 12:56, Chalky said:

The players are all listed on the Lp, that’ll be where the info is taken from.  Not sure if they are the same Chevelles on ORR with Cookie Scott, I would assume they are. 

The ORR Chevelles is not the Flaming Arrow Mighty Chevelles.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 12/02/2019 at 10:26, KevH said:

And on the yellow and green ORR, you get the instrumental to Mislead by Prince Shell , which is fantastic in its own right.

On the WD as well... 

image.jpg

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Les Reed. Great Uk Songwriter And Musician.
    All About The Soul by on Wed 17 Apr 2019
    • 6 / 458
    • souljer6 on 23 Apr 2019
  2. Who Is Jerry Nassis - Soul Musician?
    All About The Soul by Grantosol on Wed 27 Jul 2011
    • 2 / 627
    • Russell Gilbert on 31 Jul 2011
  3. Dennis Coffey - Musician, Producer And Artist
    All About The Soul by Carl Dixon on Wed 05 Mar 2008
    • 4 / 475
    • ZapatootheTiger on 06 Mar 2008
  4. News: Jack Ashford Article - International Musician Website
    All About The Soul by Mike on Mon 09 Dec 2019
    • 2 / 300
    • Thinksmart on 09 Dec 2019
  5. Which Musician?
    All About The Soul by in town Mikey on Thu 15 Nov 2007
    • 7 / 669
    • SoulBoogieAlex on 18 Nov 2007

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.