Ric Tic

I have always wondered why there has never been a proper 'Ric Tic' collection released - or is there one? . One or two tracks on the odd Motown compilation but no dedicated anthology - it would make a great box set.

Perhaps there are licensing issues? Maybe one or two on here who are 'connected' can throw some light on it - Jo, Ady, Tony?

Mike

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hello mike,bit iffy on the ric-tic demos mid label of the run has been talked about before on this site i think they are tough ones to get i have lots of early ric tic demos and later ones b

ut the in-between ones are a a bit elusive(ish) unless u know better ...soulie55...................

name the numbers u have...

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

i had the ric tic relics album about ten years ago but had it nicked. still riles me that, as i think i know who did it grrrrrrr>

bransholme slim, if yer reading this, can i have me record back?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I have always wondered why there has never been a proper 'Ric Tic' collection released - or is there one? . One or two tracks on the odd Motown compilation but no dedicated anthology - it would make a great box set.

Perhaps there are licensing issues? Maybe one or two on here who are 'connected' can throw some light on it - Jo, Ady, Tony?

Mike

I think that one of the issues might be that when Berry Gordy bought Ric Tic off Ed Wingate, he bought it primarily for the Golden World Studios rather than for the catalogue. (The fact that he let most of the artists out of their contracts upon purchase seems to corroberate this). I have a feeling that many of the original Ric Tic tapes did not make it into the Motown tape library, only those that were either hits (You Got To Pay The Price) or by artists whose careers subsequently continued on Motown (Edwin Starr, Fantastic Four). I believe that a lot of Ric Tic Relics was actually dubbed from 45 - which, of course, was not such an issue in the pre-digital era.

That said, Universal, who own Motown, did produce a very nice tape of "You Got To Pay The Price" for Ace when Ady and I included it on "Kent's Cellar Of Soul 2"...

TONE

Social source share

There was always the Ric Tic Relics album on Tamla Motown, although me and 45cellar were saying, wish it was on CD.

>>See here<<

rictic1.jpg

Hi

Yes I am still sure that it would be a successful release, and long overdue.

We are currently compiling the >>> Ric-Tic DEMO's on HitsvilleSoulClub <<<

103, 105, 109X & 120 to 128 Appear to be the hardest to acquire as a DEMO.

rictic2.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I think that one of the issues might be that when Berry Gordy bought Ric Tic off Ed Wingate, he bought it primarily for the Golden World Studios rather than for the catalogue. (The fact that he let most of the artists out of their contracts upon purchase seems to corroberate this). I have a feeling that many of the original Ric Tic tapes did not make it into the Motown tape library, only those that were either hits (You Got To Pay The Price) or by artists whose careers subsequently continued on Motown (Edwin Starr, Fantastic Four). I believe that a lot of Ric Tic Relics was actually dubbed from 45 - which, of course, was not such an issue in the pre-digital era.

That said, Universal, who own Motown, did produce a very nice tape of "You Got To Pay The Price" for Ace when Ady and I included it on "Kent's Cellar Of Soul 2"...

TONE

I suppose that the same question applies, to the Golden World Label.

Why no release on CD for the Soul output of this fine Label.

Quite a few have been issued spread over different CD's

Social source share

I believe that a lot of Ric Tic Relics was actually dubbed from 45 - which, of course, was not such an issue in the pre-digital era.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but were some of the tracks treated "electronically to give a stereo effect"

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Please correct me if I'm wrong but were some of the tracks treated "electronically to give a stereo effect"

..aaaah yes, "Electronically Reprocessed Stereo" - three words which, when used together, are guaranteed to strike terror into the heart of any self-confessed audiophile!

You're quite right about them being used on this LP, by the way...

TONE :boxing:

Social source share

..aaaah yes, "Electronically Reprocessed Stereo" - three words which, when used together, are guaranteed to strike terror into the heart of any self-confessed audiophile!

You're quite right about them being used on this LP, by the way...

TONE :boxing:

There are 4 or 5 copied CDs floating around Burnley at the moment with ALL the Ric Tic stuff on, including All Turned On which I have not heard out since at least 1972.

I'll have a look at 'em when I get home and post more info. There are sleeve notes with them, but who copied them and from where I have no idea.

I also have 7 CDs of unissued Motown, studio out takes. tracks being laid down with Joe Hunter doing the vocals, and first passes by artistes such as the Supremes, Barbara McNair YGLMB etc.

Maybe the same source?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There are 4 or 5 copied CDs floating around Burnley at the moment with ALL the Ric Tic stuff on, including All Turned On which I have not heard out since at least 1972.

I'll have a look at 'em when I get home and post more info. There are sleeve notes with them, but who copied them and from where I have no idea.

I also have 7 CDs of unissued Motown, studio out takes. tracks being laid down with Joe Hunter doing the vocals, and first passes by artistes such as the Supremes, Barbara McNair YGLMB etc.

Maybe the same source?

Yes, I think it's called Bootlegs-R-Us, a subsidiary of Amnesia Records Ltd :thumbsup:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest mel brat

There are 4 or 5 copied CDs floating around Burnley at the moment with ALL the Ric Tic stuff on, including All Turned On which I have not heard out since at least 1972....

Substitute "tapes" for "CDs" and this could have been WRITTEN in 1972!

:P:wicked:biggrin.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

fantastic topic. dad has the ric tic album and have to say Al Kent is just fab. if only a cd would be released would be a top seller. as for the unissued motown etc any chance of some sound clips to come on here.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert