Anyone got pictures of Northern originals in quantity?

Solidsoul

Not mine ,but,I believe 100 copies of Harvey’s’ “Any Way You Wanna” were found in the basement of the mansion Berry Gordy owned,and was later auctioned off...sure  there is a thread on SS about it somewhere...

A5B1FF25-A436-46E7-A771-7C22A91CCD8A.jpeg

Edited by Mgm 1251
Missing words
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

From the lack of reply posts it looks like photos are rarer than the records. Like Frankie C above I wish I could go back in time with a digital camera and photo all the boxes of records and inside every shop and  warehouse from the 70s. At the time the idea of taking photos of records was something that I never even considered. Just getting them was enough and who would have thought fifty years later any one would want to see them. The only photos I took from back then were street scenes and tourist attractions . However I took a photo of the outside of Global Records in Philadelphia, which if I'd taken a photo inside, would have shown boxes and boxes of some decent titles. At least a thousand copies of Precisions- If This Is Love and lots of Swan and Arctic stuff. For Rock and Roll fans there were loads of Sun titles and Country and Western fans would have been in heaven.

1989767381_globalUSphoto001.thumb.jpg.a0374d8ec1b11026a7e37976364c985b.jpg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

What a wonderful and interesting question D9 Ktf Sadly I can't directly give you evidence in photographic matter but a few things I came across;  1985, me, Chris King, and Guy Hennigan on a trip to Detroit visited the house of a fellow James Stanford (Casablanca) he was one time working for Ed Wingate at Golden World records. Now when Berry Gordy Jr bought the studio in late 1966 (that became Studio B for Motown) 1000s of mainly Ric Tic 45s and still boxed (25 count shipping boxes, with RT-??? #) stamped on the side were dumped in Casablanca's house garage. We wasn't the first to go through those things but there was plenty to go at. In sweltering heat the 3 of us and ''Popcorn'' Wylie (dressed in a smart jacket and trousers) waded through all of them, sweat pouring out the 4 of us in the hope of finding the more desirable #s. How many records in there, I don't rightly know but a serious amount for sure.

Another one, when trawling through Dave Hamilton's basement studio loft (1988) In there were boxes of his Topper label 45s. Mainly Pricilla Page's two releases, and boxes of the Dottie & Millie's 45s (a handfull of the other #s) a couple of boxes of the TCB 'My Sweet Baby' and several boxes of some of his other labels.

Also 2x25 count of Jimmy Raye's own label JRE 45s

At least 90 copies of Bobby Sheen's. 'Something New to Do.

20200307_215128.thumb.jpg.3b305dcd2dc0b76b42897fc1b4703ce8.jpg

A box that contained 25 (to add to the 50 I brought back) of the Dottie & Millie 45

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!