Is this really the state of our scene?

On 20/07/2022 at 15:43, Soulman said:

As the original poster I feel an update is needed. Thanks for the input so far, some a little off topic,  but it's all made for interesting reading:

My original post was merely to point out that someone I know felt unwelcomed and disappointed at the atmosphere at a local event. It was not my opinion, I was merely the messenger and wondered if this was the state of the scene in general, hence the original headline topic on the post.

Yesterday (Tuesday 19th), it was pointed out to me by a friend that someone has posted regarding this topic on Facebook and suggested that I am "filled with bile and poison" by posting this. I am unable to see the said post however I was sent a screen shot and to say the least, am annoyed beyond belief that a so called "long standing DJ and stalwart of the scene" can display such vitriol when the post wasn't aimed at him or, indeed, anyone in particular. I thought this person was a friend - obviously not. 

He will be hearing from me via other means. It appears that the vitriol extends beyond venues and now seeps into social media posts too.... but of course we knew that.

Steve  

I wouldn't worry about it, although social media has some benefits ie the likes of soulsource , my view is it's created a bunch of cowards who hide behind a keyboard and post the kind of bs they would never say to your face. I would speak directly to the person involved because people are so different when face to face. Good luck.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Leicester Boy said:

I wouldn't worry about it, although social media has some benefits ie the likes of soulsource , my view is it's created a bunch of cowards who hide behind a keyboard and post the kind of bs they would never say to your face. I would speak directly to the person involved because people are so different when face to face. Good luck.

Well said Leicester Boy....X...and if youre speaking on behalf of someone else Soulman then give them our sound advice....its good to talk. It is NOT the 'state of the scene'....its the state of a relationship betwixt your friend and another. Don't let it become a scene....X Folk have been hiding behind...and using computers since 1985 that I know of to vent their spleens and stir sh*te....the real world is where its at. Here's a tune that i've just added to my general collection that will help find the way!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 18/07/2022 at 21:16, Petesi said:

IF you dance reasonably well you will find that at most nights you will never be short of hello`s and friends on the night etc. Its always been like that even back in the 70`s.... Dancing just unites folk its a common bond .

We'll said, I couldn't, t have put it better.

Social source share

On 23/07/2022 at 01:24, Sooty said:

JEEEEEZ...I knew I shouldn't have popped in. 

Steve...'Soulman'...Boston. Look at this wonderful picture of me and one of my best mates on the scene...and off it. Yet when we met...at a Boston Soul Night in 93.....he wanted to kick my head in. Thought I was a copper....all neatly cut. He had a thing about me. BUT....I was a 'soulie'...loved the music...and wanted to be 'mates' with all....and just...dance. I told him so...lets be friends. Simple as that. There weren't the net about back then either...or texts. So it was done in the real world. I know EVERYBODY in Boston whose been on the scene in the past 30 years. I've DJ'd there and promoted there....I know the factions...and the fanatics. WONDERFUL CROWD....under siege by Eastern Block too!!x I've figured whose doo you went too. Phone him up and say "Sooty sed there's a war going on 22 hour drive away...a drive he's done 14 times in the past 5 months...and he thinks we should sort this kids sh*te out. Because he reckons we could be friends for the next 30 years if we do"...LIVE the music folks...stopped watching soaps when Meg Richardson died and Sandy ended up in a wheelchair. Felt ever so sad for him. Benny cried....I did....never been able to have such drama in my life ever since. I'm outta here...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

Wayne and me....we is luvvers for 30 years........and my favourite dance partner.....boyyyy wee've done some shuffling around each other over the years.....PROPER soulmate....worth fighting for....GO FOR IT STEVE!!!x Dave....sort it out.........i'll pay for his ticket to the Gliderdome...!!!x....looks MEGA...dead jel!x That lad going to Detroit instead of DJing there....has done a wrong un.......I reckon!!!x Gliderdome....Teddy Boys were scrapping in there in the 50's...PROPER NORVERN VENUE...enjoy!x

wayne.jpg

Agree with everything you've said. However, it's not me that went to "the do", it's someone who has tried "dipping their toe into the local scene", and felt very unwelcomed. I was merely the messenger.

Trust you are well Sir

Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulman said:

Agree with everything you've said. However, it's not me that went to "the do", it's someone who has tried "dipping their toe into the local scene", and felt very unwelcomed. I was merely the messenger.

Trust you are well Sir

'Elo Steve....didn't realise it was you!!x That's where I went wrong....tried being on the fringe at the bar....shudda jumped straight in onto the floor!!!x Mind you the dynamic that first night in '93 introduced me to Pat Loasby (RIP X) as a go between...John Hall as an excellent Politician and Colleen...Waynes wife....who thankfully NONE of us wanted to mess with...Wayne in particular hahaha!!x Forgive my ignorance  but wouldn't the question you posed been more apt to fire at the people who organise the doo it happened at....assuming lines of comms are as I Iast knew they were ie youre all friends?!x I know sh*t happens....but we both know Dave and he's approachable for sure x The last night I had with Boston folk was at Skeggy Scooter Rally 3/4 months back....i've been to Ireland twice...and the Ukraine 14 times since then...hundreds have died around me in that time so anythings possible Steve back in Boston!!!x I found this this morninjg at a boot sale in Hull...for all you lovely Boston folk x

I also found the secret to keeping Wayne on a leish for the past 30 years......I stay close to his Mrs all night...!x 

....he deals with it......but he's brewing.....I know that look....hehe!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

colleen.jpg

Social source share

Not much 'surreal' about suggesting doing summink about something in the real world Kenb as opposed to 'waffling' in a virtual world about it....surely?!!x What's surreal to me is how this net has made 'us' more talkers than doers. Its why I stay off it. Putin's doing as he likes....cos the rest of us is waffling. To keep it real...i'll say this....for 47 years the Soul Scene was my 'sanctuary'....a place to get away from lifes sh*te....escapism.....dance me ar*e off to music that made me do that...and have a craic with friends. THAT is 'the scene'...to me. The net weren't around when we took the scene by storm back in the early 90's. I made friends with 15-20 other promoters...we met...spoke...danced together. We then worked together and achieved the unbelievable....a new all nighter with 1000+ attending BOOOOM...all done...FACE TO FACE...no mobiles either. ANY problems...were sorted 'in house'...amongst our own. Folk came from around the UK...too a HAVEN....a safe zone....from lifes sh*te...It was a joy to be together to dance....not a football match with opposing fans. So I come on here....see a concerning comment and dilemma....and offer solutions....cos I know its there to do. It's as real as it gets....!x There ain't much left out there that doesn't deserve a drama....but things like this.....is down to being adults....and respecting what we is getting together for....'TOGETHERNESS'. THAT was the Northern Soul scene to me....in the real world.....and i'll say it in this virtual one too.....to all factions who proport to be 'soulies'...X

I have a vested interest....my 6 year old will inherit my collection....she loves the music....and want her to have a scene to go to. We're a long time dead....init x

LUV
SOOTY
X

10156109026341307_small.jpg

Social source share

...i'll tell you this. Youre priviliged. I have a private forum. I talk...folk listen. Most of the UKs Police Forces...Researchers from Westminster...your telly Journos and National reporters and movers and shakers all pile in at every comment I make.....and nobody....sez a word. They just read.....and digest. 25,000 of them. I like that....its called respect. However...I do enjoy a 'chat'. But I don't do bo**ox. My waffle...diatribe...succinct points....are to benefit all. I'm dealing with death each week Chalky. Do you think I can take seriously a he said she said among folk in the same City...when I know them all??? NO...so I say SHUT UP and sort it out. NEXT. You Sir may consider it waffle....but my message...has been received....by those who trust and respect my words. That is who my comments have been aimed at. Perhaps as it wasn't your cup of tea you should have read onto the next thread. As for my waffle on my RLSD thread.I take issue sir....fellow Soulies have contributed quite sensibly and interestingly....comments I enjoyed reading and adding to. I thank them all for that...X Waffle you call it? Divs? Sigh. Music will conquer all.....gather round....

LUV...and I mean LOVE
SOOTY
X

Edited by Sooty
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!