Love starved heart

Jazz

21 minutes ago, Benji said:

The pic sleeve giveaway 45s from the early 90s turned up quite some time before the CK UK reissue.

The Motown one was only a year maybe two before Kingy's which was 1996 if memory serves.  The Motown one was to promote The Master box set wasn't it in 1994?

Social source share

9 hours ago, Benji said:

From what I remember, it was a long time ago:

The Tamla PS 45 was a giveaway to music industry reps/journalists/whatever at a convention/party sort of thing to promote the box set. The set was released in June 1994 so I guess the party was around the same time.

Story goes most copies given out were thrown away or stored away due to lack of interest. But a few copies came to the market and the price rocketed.

In 1995/1996 scene was mad for the tune so CK pressed it as a (licensed?) giveaway at his 40th birthday bash in 1996.

So neither the Tamla or the CK 45 were commercial releases. However the Tamla 45 was the first legal release.

I know someone who was picking copies up off the floor at the convention, it was used to support "The Marvin Gaye Classics Collection.  

Chris was working for Motown at the time compiling CDs of stuff from the vaults although if I remember he did get into a spot of bother with them. The copy Chris put out for his 40th states the same collection CD as its source.  

Until the recent 7s Box sets Richard Searling put out, the CDs were the only commercial release.

Chttps://www.discogs.com/release/5696636-Marvin-Gaye-The-Marvin-Gaye-Classics-Collection

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Until the recent 7s Box sets Richard Searling put out, the CDs were the only commercial release.

Chttps://www.discogs.com/release/5696636-Marvin-Gaye-The-Marvin-Gaye-Classics-Collection

Remember the CD Box set well , it was bloody expensive as it was my first ever CD purchase and I had to buy a CD player to go with it ... :lol:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!