Sapphires...single Sided Demo...any Others?

Mark Jones

Got this about 20 years ago on my very first trip to U.S (at the humble age of 23)....nothing spectacular..just a very worn copy (well label is but vinyl ok) of The "Sapphires - Who do you Love" Swan 4162 Demo from 1964.

But the unusual thing about it is the back is a totally blank white label and even weirder devoid of any grooves....just shiny plastic!!

When really I thought I would see a b side of "Oh So Soon"

Not interested in value just more curious really, has anyone else got one or can anyone tell me a little about why it's single sided? Early release to Radio stations maybe?

Been meaning to ask since I got it back in 1986! :rolleyes:

post-397-1172530006_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Got this about 20 years ago on my very first trip to U.S (at the humble age of 23)....nothing spectacular..just a very worn copy (well label is but vinyl ok) of The "Sapphires - Who do you Love" Swan 4162 Demo from 1964.

But the unusual thing about it is the back is a totally blank white label and even weirder devoid of any grooves....just shiny plastic!!

When really I thought I would see a b side of "Oh So Soon"

Not interested in value just more curious really, has anyone else got one or can anyone tell me a little about why it's single sided? Early release to Radio stations maybe?

Been meaning to ask since I got it back in 1986! :)

Quite a few of the arctic demo's are the same,some even have a checker pattern on the blank side,others look to have had the vinyl wiped with solvent?,could be a peculiarity of the pressing plant(both philly items ,same plant?)Salmon

Social source share

In the case of pre-1961 UK demos from the Decca group (RCA, London, Felsted etc), both the A and B sides were pressed on single-sided demos. This allowed a radio DJ to play the A-side, immediately followed by the B-side (for example, "Money" and "Oh I Apologise" by Barrett Strong would have been issued as separate single-sided London demos - anyone seen one?).

I wonder if this was the same strategy in the USA with their single-sided demos?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

In the case of pre-1961 UK demos from the Decca group (RCA, London, Felsted etc), both the A and B sides were pressed on single-sided demos. This allowed a radio DJ to play the A-side, immediately followed by the B-side (for example, "Money" and Oh I Apologise" by Barrett Strong would have been issued as separate single-sided London demos - anyone seen one?).

I wonder if this was the same strategy in the USA with their single-sided demos?

Gene ,only going off the arctic stuff,but ive never seen demos of the other side which was on the issue

Social source share

Gene ,only going off the arctic stuff,but ive never seen demos of the other side which was on the issue

I see what you mean. The 'checkered' pattern you refer to in your last post would probably be the imprint of another label, caused by being stacked on top of, or near it.

Reminds me of the single-sided demo of "Laws Of Love" by The Volcanos I had on Arctic. The flip-side, which looked like a sander was taken to it, had a mirror image of a label for "Queen Of Hearts" by Bobby Skel on the Soft label!

Tony Smith may be able to correct me on this one, but I recall that in the mid-80s, he had a single-sided demo of "Nothing Like A Mother" by Jimmy Soul Clark on Teek. If I remember rightly, the B-side label was a faint mirror image of "Get Rid Of Him" by Dionne Warwick on Scepter. I think the vinyl was deliberately scratched as well so that it couldn't be played.

The plot thickens..................... :)

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I see what you mean. The 'checkered' pattern you refer to in your last post would probably be the imprint of another label, caused by being stacked on top of, or near it.

Reminds me of the single-sided demo of "Laws Of Love" by The Volcanos I had on Arctic. The flip-side, which looked like a sander was taken to it, had a mirror image of a label for "Queen Of Hearts" by Bobby Skel on the Soft label!

Tony Smith may be able to correct me on this one, but I recall that in the mid-80s, he had a single-sided demo of "Nothing Like A Mother" by Jimmy Soul Clark on Teek. If I remember rightly, the B-side label was a faint mirror image of "Get Rid Of Him" by Dionne Warwick on Scepter. I think the vinyl was deliberately scratched as well so that it couldn't be played.

The checker pattern was on the vinyl,not the label so it must have done deliberatly

Social source share

True but, the scratched in legend "do not play" was scratched into the master as it was pressed rather than scratched, hope that makes sense??

Social source share

If I remember rightly, the B-side label was a faint mirror image of "Get Rid Of Him" by Dionne Warwick on Scepter. I think the vinyl was deliberately scratched as well so that it couldn't be played.

Is 'Get rid of him' available on a 45, i thought it was LP only?

Simon

Social source share

The checker pattern was on the vinyl,not the label so it must have done deliberatly

I have the Sapphires 'I've Got Mine, You Better Get Yours' on a white Swan demo with checkered vinyl on the flip...looks really cool..

I also have the same checkered pattern in the vinyl on a Sunny & Sunliners' white demo on Teardrop

J.J Jackson 'Seems Like I've Been Here Before' Calla single sided demo too, smooth vinyl on the flip.

Social source share

just shiny plastic!!

I have the Sapphires 'I've Got Mine, You Better Get Yours' on a white Swan demo with checkered vinyl on the flip...looks really cool..

I also have the same checkered pattern in the vinyl on a Sunny & Sunliners' white demo on Teardrop

J.J Jackson 'Seems Like I've Been Here Before' Calla single sided demo too, smooth vinyl on the flip.

as my original post said mine isn't checkered just totally black and shiny...almost like a mirror! :wicked:

Not touched by the press at all.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

ADD TO THE LIST OF CHECKERED VINYL PROMOS LARRY SAUNDERS- ON THE REAL SIDE.ANOTHER SINGLE SIDED PROMO, EDWIN STAR - AGENT DOUBLE O SOUL, HAPPY HUNTING, CARL W

There are 12" discs on Chocolate City with the same effect on the flip side ie. blank, with checkered design, so it's not just confined to 60's releases!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert