Ebay prices - crashing - Sign of what's to come ??

On 02/06/2023 at 16:09, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

This week someone on another forum asked for a value on a record. Someone suggested 250 and he concurred. I pointed out that it had gone through eBay several times recently between 39 and 149 dollars. He tried to justify his valuation based on it was mint, had a picture cover etc.. So did many of the other copies.

one of the issues is that the cheque book Charlie’s have paid big for over hyped record just because DJ x, y or z has played it. Now they are stuck with it and trying to hype it still to get their cash back.

Ebay sellers in the US have jumped on the bandwagon over pricing records just because it’s Soul.  Even some of the prices quoted on this forum beggar belief and one seller in particular always tries it on and then ends up reducing his price by up to 50%.

Lastly EBay collect the money for the UK HMRC and they put around 28% on transactions. The VAT is 20% and they pay a third party to collect tax payments and do all the necessary paperwork and transfer, they take the 8%.

Are you referring to Lamar Thomas 45?

Social source share

On 30/05/2023 at 19:18, Frankie Crocker said:

The only saving grace is there’s very little left in the USA and much of that’s in rough condition.

Maybe we should have made more of the opportunity decades ago when tge moans about eBay were milder by comparison.

I wonder how much stuff is left over there. I started going over in the early 80s - haven't bothered for ten years or so but there was still plenty left then. You had to get a bit more creative, true. The main issue obviously is that the knowledge is everywhere. You could buy stuff for cents even in record shop basements, and they'd look at you as though you were mad for even paying that, and I'm sure that has gone by the by. 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Steve G said:

Well sort of in a way, although peoples tastes do change too. I do laugh at those who are now chasing records they were offered 10+ years ago for cheap and turned them down "Ooooh that's not for me", who are now spending a fortune trying to get the same records because they're "in" all of a sudden. No names on a public forum, but some well known ones. 

Think tastes only change because they think it's fashionable. 

Plenty buy slower records though gritted teeth for that reason. 

We all know it always has and always will be a dance orientated scene. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Paraboliccurve said:

I wonder how much stuff is left over there. I started going over in the early 80s - haven't bothered for ten years or so but there was still plenty left then. You had to get a bit more creative, true. The main issue obviously is that the knowledge is everywhere. You could buy stuff for cents even in record shop basements, and they'd look at you as though you were mad for even paying that, and I'm sure that has gone by the by. 

Having made over 70 record buying trips to The States over the last 30 plus years, I can confidently state there’s very little to be discovered in the wild. This is reflected on eBay and Discogs. The USA collectors and crate diggers are wise nowadays and have price-guides to help them snaffle records once ignored; they then use databases such as Popsike and Collector’s Frenzy to value 45’s at ridiculous levels. The desirable records are now in the hands of US collectors who part with them on rare occasions, in the hands of the artists, in lock-ups off-limits to casual visitors and on show at major record conventions but at colossal prices. There are more decent records in nice condition for sale in the UK compared to the USA - unfortunately the sellers want unrealistic sums for them so they often go usold.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 03/06/2023 at 21:57, Frankie Crocker said:

Having made over 70 record buying trips to The States over the last 30 plus years, I can confidently state there’s very little to be discovered in the wild. This is reflected on eBay and Discogs. The USA collectors and crate diggers are wise nowadays and have price-guides to help them snaffle records once ignored; they then use databases such as Popsike and Collector’s Frenzy to value 45’s at ridiculous levels. The desirable records are now in the hands of US collectors who part with them on rare occasions, in the hands of the artists, in lock-ups off-limits to casual visitors and on show at major record conventions but at colossal prices. There are more decent records in nice condition for sale in the UK compared to the USA - unfortunately the sellers want unrealistic sums for them so they often go usold.

I probably didn't phrase my comment very well.

I haven't made that many trips - a couple of dozen maybe - but I wasn't talking about in the wild because there's not really any such thing as in the wild any more.

You'll have noticed the change around 2007 (ish) from even people in record shops not knowing what stuff was worth to stallholders at flea markets thinking that if they find anything that remotely looks like a soul record the Brits will be after it.

I'm sure the same goes for other genres of music, and indeed collecting generally - the internet, principally but not exclusively eBay, slowly ruined it all except for those with very deep pockets who just want to buy the big sounds.

As it happens, I have reasonably deep pockets, and I could buy any record I want - but where's the fun in that? When I stopped going to the States it was because you could no longer rock up in some small town prospecting for gold. That was the fun part for me.

What I'm wondering is how much actual gear is still out there be it under lock and key or in collections or otherwise unobtainable? Unanswerable, obviously. Who knows.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

11 hours ago, Paraboliccurve said:

I probably didn't phrase my comment very well.

I haven't made that many trips - a couple of dozen maybe - but I wasn't talking about in the wild because there's not really any such thing as in the wild any more.

You'll have noticed the change around 2007 (ish) from even people in record shops not knowing what stuff was worth to stallholders at flea markets thinking that if they find anything that remotely looks like a soul record the Brits will be after it.

I'm sure the same goes for other genres of music, and indeed collecting generally - the internet, principally but not exclusively eBay, slowly ruined it all except for those with very deep pockets who just want to buy the big sounds.

As it happens, I have reasonably deep pockets, and I could buy any record I want - but where's the fun in that? When I stopped going to the States it was because you could no longer rock up in some small town prospecting for gold. That was the fun part for me.

What I'm wondering is how much actual gear is still out there be it under lock and key or in collections or otherwise unobtainable? Unanswerable, obviously. Who knows.

Your probably better off taking stuff back over to trade with collectors rather than cash. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!