Source Admin Log - Going ons..

Mike

Ok people as have a bit more time available now to spend on the admin side of things on here, read the below...

One thing always felt needed an improvement on here,  is letting people know what's going on or/and how things work and the thinking behind things/actions/decisions

Plan is as 'admin' things happen will try and make a note in this topic just to inform and try and keep all members aware of everything soul source related on the admin and moderation side

To get things going a couple of member related admin tasks that were carried out

Active/inactive members

We do close accounts after 3 years inactivity but as just done we can reopen once aware that the member has logged in again (a monthly check) as long as its within a year of the closure, as we delete after 4 years

This is done as per data protection/privacy concerns, we are signed up to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) under the Data Protection Act 2018. and do follow their UK GDPR guidance

Spam Members/Bots  - Getting Cleverer

There is an increase in the amount of posts by spam bots/members who appear to be getting cleverer all the time both thru ai and manual posting methods. sometimes hard to spot as they do quote other members posts in what at first seems a normal way but once you look at things deeper you can see what they are up to

If you do notice that a post by a new member has gone missing then there is a good chance that the member has been marked by us the site as a  'spammer' which will then automatically delete all the spammers content and closes the account

Ok that's about it for now as said will try and keep this 'admin' related topic both informative and worthwhile

As always if you do have any q's on anything admin/moderation related you are always more than welcome to shout them up via comments, new topics or if rather pm me or any of the team

team link

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/staff/

atb

mike

Edited by Mike
tidy
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

A morning catch up on recent admin stuff and backend work

eBay highlight feature

improvements carried out to our ebay highlights feature, can read here
https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/freebasing/site-ebay-highlights-feature-improvements-r5070/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Community map feature

As we  now have an inhouse event map feature the 'events' category on the Community map feature  has been removed as no need any longer

Also other Community map feature categories such as  record stores, historic venues, studio locations etc have been removed as they have never been used

Do need to be aware that some of these features here on Soul Source do require regular 6/12 monthly licence payments, and as such they are always under review

The Community map feature now basically serves as a member location only feature and will review if still worthwhile keeping it running in the near future

Community Map Feature link

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/communitymap/

Our New Local Soul Event Map replacement

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/events/14-local-soul/

Social source share

I’ve noticed allot of member locations, i.e, the written location on the profile do not match the map... mine doesn’t, the pin is bucks, but I live in Wales... unless the location feature maybe helps with spammers like your recent Indian post Mike, it's fun, but I don’t think that map is all that necessary.

Social source share

yep the 'map' and the 'profile' addresses are different 

it should now in theory sync the profile location onto the map one

try re-entering your profile location and within a hour it should sync so both are the same... in theory

Social source share

sales forum

a ebay sales advert post was dropped from our main forum

our main record sales forum is set up for direct selling only

as in setup for our members selling directly thru soul source

as it says in the guidelines that all members posting have agreed to follow...

--------------------

Sales Markt Section Guidelines

WHERE TO POST SALES

Sellers - where to post/advertise your record sale items in our Soul Markt sections...

Member posting individual sale items or lists - selling directly via Soul Source (by pm/email/telephone) - Post in the RECORD SALES FORUM

Member with a website/store - selling directly via Soul Source (by pm/email/telephone) - Post in the RECORD SALES FORUM

Member with a website/store - posting listings for their website/shop sales and sells directly via their own shop/listings - Post in the WEBSITE SALES FORUM

Members selling items on ebay/discogs - who wish to advertise those sales to members - Post in the WEBSITE SALES FORUM

Members who own/run a website which is set-up to publicly charge other traders to sell/buy 45s (fee/commission) - BANNER ADVERTISING AVAILABLE ONLY

--------------------

Social source share

yet again need to sort this out

If people wish to discuss 45s prices, merits etc then our 'box' forum is the place not other members sales topics

--------------------

COMMENTING ON SALES TOPICS

Please do not comment on the merits/prices etc of Sale Forum items.  This can have a negative effect on the sale and can affect the listings of other members sales.

The finer details of the deal should be done via the site PM (personal message) system. Use PMs for personal information, chat or off-topic chat. Any comments deemed to be in violation may be removed without discussion.

--------------------

Social source share

the  'Satellite Weekender's' issue has just come up again

It is something that needs to be done otherwise every weekend when there's a major national weekender such as Blackpool or Whitby we  would end up with up to say 6 different weekenders howing being on at the same town at the same weekend in the guide

Social source share

2 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Another bug on the Activity stream here Mike.

I scroll down through the first page no problem , but when I hit the "Load more activity" box to load the next page it's jumping from about six hours worth straight back to May 1st's activity and nothing inbetween ... ?

odd , seems ok here, maybe a cache issue, will reset a few things overnight to see if that sorts it out
can ya try viewing with browser in incognito mode

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

odd , seems ok here, maybe a cache issue, will reset a few things overnight to see if that sorts it out
can ya try viewing with browser in incognito mode

Hi Mike ,

It's working OK if I change the setting to "Expanded" but it's in the "Condensed" setting that I've used for a decade now that it's gone awry ... :)

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Hi Mike ,

It's working OK if I change the setting to "Expanded" but it's in the "Condensed" setting that I've used for a decade now that it's gone awry ... :)

Ok that helps as I can see that happening I will try and repair tomorrow

• Thanks 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Seems all good here now Mike ... :thumbup:

yep I just tracked down the cause, something was up with an articles comments, now sorted

12 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Sorted that but the activity stream link that was top right no longer there

should be ok fo rya now?

if you do it again (the edit), you need to hit the stream option button and then 'save as default'

• Thanks 2
Social source share

On 18/06/2024 at 13:42, Mike said:

having some issues with our news/articles feature and the comments intergration

looking like that there's a need to rebuild and refresh once time allows

on the list

just so ya aware

right old bit of work needed to sort this feature out once and for all

the main issue is that the comments are duplicated in both the forum and the news/articles feature

which does cause a lot of technical issues during this sorting out

in future looking at rather than 'mirror' the comments will go for a comments on the news/articles only and just an announcement in the forums

Social source share

We have recently had complaints/concerns regarding posts in the forum accusing people of criminal acts

In such cases, when we are not in a position to validate these accusations, once aware of any concerns we have no choice but to remove the posts as per our terms of use

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!