Knackered Mecca Tape

Guest melandthensome

Guest melandthensome

I recently tried to transfer a tape recorded from the highland room in 1972 onto a cd but it wont transfer in any way.....and as the tape is so old I dont want to risk losing it.....has anyone any ideas please as to what or how I can safely transfer it onto something without actualy damaging this old piece of MECCA MAGIC......

cheers

mel

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I recently tried to transfer a tape recorded from the highland room in 1972 onto a cd but it wont transfer in any way.....and as the tape is so old I dont want to risk losing it.....has anyone any ideas please as to what or how I can safely transfer it onto something without actualy damaging this old piece of MECCA MAGIC......

cheers

mel

Hi Mel,

Mark Freeman sorted me out with my old Mecca tape. Give him a pm?

ATB

Brian

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Hi Mel,

Mark Freeman sorted me out with my old Mecca tape. Give him a pm?

ATB

Brian

:thumbsup: thanks brian

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Why won't it transfer?

I dont know mate

probably because its so old I really cant say.A mate of mine who is pretty clued up with these kind of things just couldnt get it to transfer and I didnt go into specifics with him so just took it back.......

Social source share

I dont know mate

probably because its so old I really cant say.A mate of mine who is pretty clued up with these kind of things just couldnt get it to transfer and I didnt go into specifics with him so just took it back.......

the age shouldn't matter. will it play in a tape deck? if so it will transfer. Can't you copy the tape to another tape?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

the age shouldn't matter. will it play in a tape deck? if so it will transfer. Can't you copy the tape to another tape?

Sometimes the iron in the tape goes off with age, especially if they been kept in damp conditions. If it's started to degrade you might only get one chance to play the old tape so make sure whatever you a recording to is up and running before you start playing the tape. You should also monitor the recording if possible, because often stuff comes off the tape on to the 'play' head and builds up to diminish the play volume, and hence recording volume.

Post it to me and I'll have a go, but can't promise anything, if your mate's already said it dead.

Social source share

Agreed Chalky...if the tape will play it will transfer to any available source. Of course if it won't play then it won't transfer, or in fact do anything !

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Agreed Chalky...if the tape will play it will transfer to any available source. Of course if it won't play then it won't transfer, or in fact do anything !

(Just to butt in) As many of us must own ancient "live" tapes from venues/concerts etc., I was speculating recently whether we ought to set up a kind of 'database' of people's old tapes and get as many as we can listed and preserved for posterity before we lose them forever. Is this practical do you think? Any ideas?

Social source share

(Just to butt in) As many of us must own ancient "live" tapes from venues/concerts etc., I was speculating recently whether we ought to set up a kind of 'database' of people's old tapes and get as many as we can listed and preserved for posterity before we lose them forever. Is this practical do you think? Any ideas?

It's a Good idea Mel.

You're right. Must be scores of them out there.

Perhaps you should start a separate thread to see what people (on here) have... and what they're happy (or able) to share.

From that a central 'Tape library' could be created.

Certainly would be better than seeing these relics disintegrate.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

cheers

mel

Do you have a track listing? It would be interesting to see what was on it.

Alan

Social source share

I dont know mate

If the tape playes ............I will put it onto a CD for you! and if it is snapped I can repair it? No bother!

PM me if you can't find the soloution :thumbsup:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Sometimes the iron in the tape goes off with age, especially if they been kept in damp conditions. If it's started to degrade you might only get one chance to play the old tape so make sure whatever you a recording to is up and running before you start playing the tape. You should also monitor the recording if possible, because often stuff comes off the tape on to the 'play' head and builds up to diminish the play volume, and hence recording volume.

Post it to me and I'll have a go, but can't promise anything, if your mate's already said it dead.

Yeah, Cassette tapes will deteriorate in quality over the years, thats why there are PC programes available to restore both video and the audio relics? Everyone is transferring their old wedding videos onto DVD and the result is a better video without the flickering etc... and the nasty crap is removed..........sorted :thumbsup:

Social source share

cheers

mel

It's a Good idea Mel.

You're right. Must be scores of them out there.

Perhaps you should start a separate thread to see what people (on here) have... and what they're happy (or able) to share.

From that a central 'Tape library' could be created.

Certainly would be better than seeing these relics disintegrate.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Hi Mel, Hi Sean

I think that it is a brilliant idea.

There has been talk on this forum about a Museum, also heard that the same thing was being considered in Detroit.

A Virtual Museum would be Positive move I think, a place where many Images, and Media like this could be placed on a database.

There must be lots of stuff Posters, Badges, Photos etc that would be of Interest, to preserve for the Future. :lol:

It would be a shame to lose them, forever. :lol:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

It would be a shame to lose them, forever. :lol:

Absolutley :thumbsup: I have just transferred an old "ska" radio show from C90 tape that was laying under my mates bed for 25 years ........ into digital format, and now everyone is digging it again!!! IT WOULD HAVE BEEN LOST OTHERWISE! :lol:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Do you have a track listing? It would be interesting to see what was on it.

Alan

I'll dig it out for you..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

If all else fails, but you can still play the tape via your PC and hear it from your speakers, you can record on the fly with Total Recorder :rolleyes: This is a nifty bit of software because you can record anything you hear through your speakers :thumbsup:

Social source share

cheers

mel

If you can do a tape to tape recording, and send me the new tape, I will record it to CD and post them back to you, all for free too :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Well I just got the tape out

put it in my recorder and all I got was hissing noises and a very very low sounding recording from the highland room.And when I say very very low I mean as in like a mouse in a box trying to sing.

I am not clued up in any way on these things and I appreciate all the kind offers and if anyone is still willing I would be grateful to send it for them to maybe fix.

I have about 500 tapes from over 30yrs on the scene and although this is a early one from 1972 its starting to make me pissed off.I have some great stuff from down the years so hope I can transfer them in time.

As promised this is the listing from

THE BLACKPOOL MECCA-THE HIGHLAND ROOM-1972.

Side 1

Duke Browner-crying over you-Impact(inst)

Otis Smith-Ler her go-Perception

Brice Coefield-Aint that right-Omen

Jerry Cook-I hurt on the other side-Capitol

Lorraine Chandler-I cant hold on-RCA/Giant

The Glories-I worship you baby-Date

The Sapphirres-Slow Fizz-ABC

P.J.Proby-Thats the tune-Enigma album track-Liberty

Gino Parks-Nerves of steel-Crazy Horse

Maxine Brown-One in a million-Wand

Lenis Guess-Just ask me-Legrand(although back then S.P.Q.R.)

The Invitations-Ski-ing in the snow-Dyno Voice

Side2

Duke Browner-Crying over you-Impact(vocal)

Jimmy Bee-Wanting you-Kent

P.P.Arnold-Everythings gonna be alright-Immediate/or English if you were lucky.

Sam and Kitty-I've got something good-Four Brothers

The Kelly Brothers-Love Time-Sims

The Soul Brothers Six-Thank you baby-Atrlantic

Sons of Moses-Soul Symphony-Coral

Ben Aiken-Satisfied-Loma

Bob Relf-Blowing my mind to pieces-Trans American

Wally Cox-This man-Wand

The Sweet Things-I'm in a world of troubles-Date

The Chalfontes-He loves me-Mercury

Milton Wright-The Gallop(inst)-Carla........

Mecca-Mel....... :thumbsup:

post-6164-1175964510_thumb.jpg

post-6164-1175964529_thumb.jpg

Social source share

put it in my recorder and all I got was hissing noises and a very very low sounding recording from the highland room.And when I say very very low I mean as in like a mouse in a box trying to sing.

I am not clued up in any way on these things and I appreciate all the kind offers and if anyone is still willing I would be grateful to send it for them to maybe fix.

I have about 500 tapes from over 30yrs on the scene and although this is a early one from 1972 its starting to make me pissed off.I have some great stuff from down the years so hope I can transfer them in time.

Side 1

Side2

Ben Aiken-Satisfied-Loma

Wally Cox-This man-Wand

Mecca-Mel....... :thumbsup:

Great stuff, PJ Proby excepted

Alan

Social source share

Side 1

Side2

Ben Aiken-Satisfied-Loma

Wally Cox-This man-Wand

Mecca-Mel....... thumbsup.gif

I posted this a few weeks ago:

I have a tape in my drawer here at work from 73 from the Mecca. some of the tracks are:

• Sue Barrett
  • Devonnes
  • Glories
  • Bobby Randolph
  • Tomangoes
  • Larry Atkins
  • Mel Williams
  • Patti Austin TATPS
  • Top Shelf
  • Tony Clarke
  • Detroit Sound
  • Debbie Dean
  • Invitations SINS
  • Terrible Tom
  • R Dean Taylor
  • Eddie Foster
  • Joe Hicks
  • Janie Grant
  • Vel-Vets
  • The Petals CCTWTYH
  • J Jackson experience Lets Shingaling
  • United 4
  • Cissie Houston
  • Salvadors

and loads more...... Happy Days! (Mark Freeman put this on CD for me, which I can't find at the moment!)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hi Mel, Hi Sean

I think that it is a brilliant idea.

There has been talk on this forum about a Museum, also heard that the same thing was being considered in Detroit.

A Virtual Museum would be Positive move I think, a place where many Images, and Media like this could be placed on a database.

There must be lots of stuff Posters, Badges, Photos etc that would be of Interest, to preserve for the Future. :thumbsup:

It would be a shame to lose them, forever. :wicked:

Of course a lot of memorabilia, pics of record labels etc. already DOES get posted, but in a haphazard way via. individual threads. Though I always appreciate seeing it, it would maybe be nice to collate it all in one accessible and more permanent place. It would require a collective effort, but that's what the UK Soul scene is best at after all! Cassette tape preservation, or at least a comprehensive track listing would be a useful start.

One of the initial attractions for me with Soulsource was the ability to post up my own memorabilia for the benefit of anyone interested, but perhaps too young to have gone to particular clubs themselves (see the Catacombs thread and my various photo albums) - and also in the hope that more photos of the beloved 'Cats' might turn up. They haven't so far, so perhaps my drawing of the Catacombs interior is all that's remains to show what it actually looked like! Hopefully not.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Side 1

Side2

P.P.Arnold-Everythings gonna be alright-Immediate

Ben Aiken-Satisfied-Loma

Wally Cox-This man-Wand

That's great. I like to see positive proof of old playlists such as this, and they were obviously playing certain records many months before I'd even heard of some of them. Some of these sides were also big records at The Torch and Catacombs etc. of course. Incidently, Wally Cox and the Sapphires were still being played well over a year later, which was fairly unusual in those days of rapidly changing playlists, that was probably because they hadn't been bootlegged, eventually being released on UK Probe and Pye Disco Demand.

(P.P. Arnold was a UK ONLY release by the way, however it was bootlegged on a silver 'US Immediate' facsimile label in late 1973)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert