The "heydays" Of Northern Soul

I'm afraid the scene had ceased to be "underground" as early as 1975. Seeing the likes of Wigan's Ovation and crew cavorting on 'Top of The Pops', and articles on Wayne Gibson et.al. in the tabloid press. That didn't sit easily with some of my generation's view of Northern Soul music one little bit!

:wicked: Must be wonderful being you....

Social source share

• Replies 76
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest mel brat

:wicked: Must be wonderful being you....

Yes it is. What's it like being a amateur pirate impersonator with no useful opinions?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Wonderful...

probably more upbeat and loving life.

And I get to eat Bacon sarnies, which is always a boon.

Oh I get it! You're having a go because I'm a veggie! Another stick to beat me with I suppose. Lucky you!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest hurryup

Ayup ,Hurryup....nice to see you and Daz at the Empress other week,you going this week end ?

Bazza

Hi Bazza

Not too sure at the moment, I always enjoy the Empress Rooms - good crowd and brill music, but we thought we fancied a change but then again - bear in mind that the Empress is only on at bank holidays, I think we might end up there. Watch this space Bazza :ohmy:

Social source share

depends which way you take it I spose .... :P

OER missus did I really say that?? PMSL

Anyway ...back to the topic in hand ....

For me it was 78/83

It was quite short really

Pete99 when did palais close to northern all dayers?

I do remember bali hi room /funk room with revolving floor and hanging vines / cane furiture ..had a very nasty experience in that room never went in there again! :(

stayed upstairs

Social source share

Pete99 when did palais close to northern all dayers?

I do remember bali hi room /funk room with revolving floor and hanging vines / cane furiture ..had a very nasty experience in that room never went in there again! :(

stayed upstairs

Hi Mandy

Mmm - there's a question! Would be about 1980/1 wouldn't it? Soooooooo long ago.

I remember the revolving floor - I couldn't believe it when my mates told me. I was just a lad from the countyside - was too scared to go down and have a look to start with - what with them funk lot and all that!

:P

Social source share

Guest mel brat

How on earth is he meant to know you are a vegetarian???

Elementary my dear Watson. He read my comments in the Freebasing room, presumably.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

no, cos your a first rate cock who hides behind a screen name...

Your eloquence is staggering and puts me to shame. (not!) oo-ar!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

This is all a bit tame imo. The arguments and name calling were much better before 1975 rolleyes.gif

Is that when mr Elson was a mod? The first page I'd turn to in Blues & Soul was the letters page.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

...or Dave G's column to see who was threatening who with writs!

Back then Jerry the biggest threat I ever got was mum telling me she'd serve up what I didnt eat at tea time for breakfast lunch and dinner until it was all gone.

Social source share

Back then Jerry the biggest threat I ever got was mum telling me she'd serve up what I didnt eat at tea time for breakfast lunch and dinner until it was all gone.

Aaah, you young sprog...and this at the time my mum was asking me if I wanted Sunday lunch when I'd just got in from a niter... whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Aaah, you young sprog...and this at the time my mum was asking me if I wanted Sunday lunch when I'd just got in from a niter... whistling.gif

Jerry, I'd forgotten that trauma - wishing we'd got a dog who'd clear the plate for me. But no, we didn't have a dog and each mouthful was a bit of an effort :boxing: Best bits...'75-'82 (Wigan, West Hampstead, 100 Club, Bedford :D ) and then '98 onwards - Capitol Soul, Scenesville, These Old Shoes, Cleethorpes etc :lol: Jo

Social source share

How I Imagine..... Mel Brat (1 in a series of 20)

Armchair Soulie No1

The acrid smell of his piss-soaked bathchair having seeped into his overly-nostalgic brain, combined with the discomfort caused by sitting in said piss has fuelled his thoroughly negative and repetetive rants.

post-1281-1179940038_thumb.jpg

Social source share

This is all a bit tame imo. The arguments and name calling were much better before 1975 :shades:

Especially at the Mecca.. the undoubted leader at the time for trail-blazing insults! :thumbsup:

*Edit: Sorry, just seen that Joe got the Mecca reference in first shades.gif

Edited by Dave
Social source share

Seen this phrase a lot just lately....some say the 80's But to me 69 to 74 were my "heydays",

I suppose its cos that was when it was new and exciting,and I was in my prime or youth ,todays scene is very different to the old days..for many reasons...some good some not so good..

Many complain about the number of venues,I think that will eventually turn out to be a good thing ...the good ones will survive....some others may not..but the choice is there at the moment...modern,oldies,100mph ,R&B..its all there for the taking...better that than just a few tired out old do's. todays scene is very healthy I recone

Bazza

NOW!!!!!

Offspring grown up, single, even more fantastic music discovered and having a ball :thumbsup:

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest mel brat

How I Imagine..... Mel Brat (1 in a series of 20)

Armchair Soulie No1

The acrid smell of his piss-soaked bathchair having seeped into his overly-nostalgic brain, combined with the discomfort caused by sitting in said piss has fuelled his thoroughly negative and repetetive rants.

laugh.gif:D "Armchair Soulie No.1" ain't bad, I can live with that I guess. (However, my "piss soaked bathchair" still has more milage in it than your tired metaphors)

PS. Shoot that dog, it's rabid!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Especially at the Mecca.. the undoubted leader at the time for trail-blazing insults! whistling.gif

*Edit: Sorry, just seen that Joe got the Mecca reference in first :D

As a matter of fact they probably WERE, particularly when Levine got going! But, how would you possibly know that? (or anything else come to that!)

PS. Wigan stunk!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert