Rap-overs Or Polyvelts

ajb

what was/is your favourite footwear for dance'n ?

polyvelts?

rapovers?

bowling shoes?

brouges?

ect, ect.......?

had a preference for poly's in me school disco days, but loved my bowling shoes (aquired from nottingham bowling alley :thumbsup: ) when i started my allnighter days. liked rap-overs, but would end up sliping over, more times than not :angry:

come on fuel your foot fetish :thumbsup:

alan

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can I ask what polyvelts and rapovers are?

wacko.gif

Thanks

rapovers.... leather uppers, so called as by design leather strips wraped over each other to form upper, with leather soles, generally very slippy

polyvelts.... leather upper, smooth in black, grained in brown. style similar to a loafer, but lace up and more pronouned rise at front where stiched. smooth flexible rubberish sole, very smooth and slippy.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

rapovers.... leather uppers, so called as by design leather strips wraped over each other to form upper, with leather soles, generally very slippy

polyvelts.... leather upper, smooth in black, grained in brown. style similar to a loafer, but lace up and more pronouned rise at front where stiched. smooth flexible rubberish sole, very smooth and slippy.

:thumbsup:

thought you meant salatios, can in a few different designes(diamond), and colour.

brill for dancing in, polyvelts and nature trekk early eighties not really any good for dancing in (imvho)

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Seemed to be an order to these things, one came in, went out and was replaced by another shoe.

Round here when i was a teenager it was:

Polyveldts...

...then Nature Treks

..then Diamonds or Bostons

...then Pods

...then Doc Martin Shoes

...after that, wear what you like. We were old enough to make our minds up :thumbsup:

I seem to remember that when Polyveldts and Nature Treks were around together, girls wore Polyveldts and boys wore Nature Treks.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Stormin Si

my pair of Loakes brogues have got to be my favourite.

I've got a pair of leather slip ons though, they are comfy as hell, feels like I'm dancing in slippers.

Social source share

polys.... yes.gif had a brown pair for travelling in and a black pair with polished soles for dancing in...... the most comfortable shoe in the world ... was a sad barsteward a few years ago and wrote to clarks to ask em to bring em back...... best ones for dancing in now is my doc martin shoes .... they are battered bruised and ruddy stinky, so are just right :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Polyveldts in my youth, seemed to remember certain members of the Banbury crowd at the Locarno used to dye them black. Following my return to the scene approx 10 years ago a pair of brown brogues which never get worn at other than soul do's. They have been resoled on numerous occassions & my heart will be sorely broken when they finally wear out !!

Dave

Social source share

Guest mel brat

:rolleyes:

Are polyvelts 'deck shoes'? ie. rather like a moccasin but with a classic 'deck shoe' sole (zig-zagged tread designed for wear while sailing) and leather lace threaded all the way around? I always found them great and comfortable for dancing, but they suddenly started making the same shoe with a stupid 'trainer' type sole for some reason, which looked vile! Can you still buy the original deck shoe?

Social source share

Rap overs,dont you mean "spoons"yuk!!,in me youth it was brogue`s;pollywelts in cherry red;monkey boots;pods;bowling shoes swiped from Sheffield bowls.............now!!"Weejuns"beefroll in blakc.

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Are polyvelts 'deck shoes'? ie. rather like a moccasin but with a classic 'deck shoe' sole (zig-zagged tread designed for wear while sailing) and leather lace threaded all the way around? I always found them great and comfortable for dancing, but they suddenly started making the same shoe with a stupid 'trainer' type sole for some reason, which looked vile! Can you still buy the original deck shoe?

No, Polys were made by Clarks in the seventies / early eighties. I guess they were made for hiking / walking and were popular with maths teachers, social workers and rastafarians and Norther Soulers !!! I dont know what secret ingredient the soles were made of but I'm told they could withstand 100,000 hours stomping to Leon Thomas L.O.V.E and the stitching would always give up before the soles !!

They came in Black and Brown and a disturbing beige/yellow, and had very thick laces.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Moccasin's used to be comfortable too :thumbsup: Had a nice leather soled burgundy coloured pair circa 80/81, used to look great with white socks ! :rolleyes:

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

No, Polys were made by Clarks in the seventies / early eighties. I guess they were made for hiking / walking and were popular with maths teachers, social workers and rastafarians and Norther Soulers !!! I dont know what secret ingredient the soles were made of but I'm told they could withstand 100,000 hours stomping to Leon Thomas L.O.V.E and the stitching would always give up before the soles !!

They came in Black and Brown and a disturbing beige/yellow, and had very thick laces.

They still make em`,for teachers :rolleyes: And polyvelts you obviously didnt do a lot of dancing,the sole`s used to crakc,a basterd in them days when it was allways freezing and wet used to put cardboard in em`me sokcs where allway wet. :thumbsup: in fact i have got some in a sandle type style coool!!.

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

I loved my Polyvelts until they cracked across the sole. The "Grannie sandals" were the go for a while. I'm wearing a white pair on the Wigan footage.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Polys were made by Clarks in the seventies / early eighties. I guess they were made for hiking / walking and were popular with maths teachers, social workers and rastafarians and Norther Soulers !!! I dont know what secret ingredient the soles were made of but I'm told they could withstand 100,000 hours stomping to Leon Thomas L.O.V.E and the stitching would always give up before the soles !!

Right. I think I know 'em. Never had a pair though. They don't sound particularly great dancing shoes to me, but what do I know?!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Moccasin's used to be comfortable too :lol: Had a nice leather soled burgundy coloured pair circa 80/81, used to look great with white socks ! :rolleyes:

NO WHITE SOCKS under ANY circumstances, ever! (except when playing cricket/tennis, possibly!) :thumbsup:

Social source share

NO WHITE SOCKS under ANY circumstances, ever! (except when playing cricket/tennis, possibly!) :thumbsup:

Now whats wrong wi`white sokcs then Mel?as long as theyre not the ten pairs for a pound toweling type things,infact i`m gonna`go white tomorrow :rolleyes:

Social source share

polyvelts?

rapovers?

bowling shoes?

brouges?

ect, ect.......?

had a preference for poly's in me school disco days, but loved my bowling shoes (aquired from nottingham bowling alley :rolleyes: ) when i started my allnighter days. liked rap-overs, but would end up sliping over, more times than not :angry:

come on fuel your foot fetish :thumbsup:

alan

Loved me Polys late Wigan........they never did them in black for years, so we had to dye them black ourselves & we wanted the ends to turn up, so we would fold the shoe in half length ways & put the legs of ya bed on em. Wore bowling shoes too, dark blue, light blue & black, they were the slippiest shoes known to man, I would never wear them outside, only change into them once in the venue, so as not to knacker the sole.

Russ

Social source share

Rap overs,dont you mean "spoons"yuk!!,in me youth it was brogue`s;pollywelts in cherry red;monkey boots;pods;bowling shoes swiped from Sheffield bowls.............now!!"Weejuns"beefroll in blakc.

Bass Weejuns, classic 'proper' loafers Kenny :rolleyes: ......though I prefer the penny loafer meself :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts
They still make em`,for teachers :P And polyvelts you obviously didnt do a lot of dancing,the sole`s used to crakc,a basterd in them days when it was allways freezing and wet used to put cardboard in em`me sokcs where allway wet. :lol: in fact i have got some in a sandle type style coool!!.
Your right Ken, although they took years to wear down they did bloody crack right accross ! 'didnt do a lot of dancing' - bloody cheek ! :lol:
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Fukin hell kevin thats only 'cause you re soled 'em with elephant ball bag skin when you worked in that exotic butchers in darlo

gotta say polyvelts were the div's option....had to be solatio's if you were from 'round by we! saying that saw some in a retro shop in the mander centre recently look like two dinner plates no wonder the trousers were so wide

then of course there was bacon-slicer in his placcy jelly sandals at willenhall baths...how could we forget that style icon

Social source share

Fukin hell kevin thats only 'cause you re soled 'em with elephant ball bag skin when you worked in that exotic butchers in darlo

gotta say polyvelts were the div's option....had to be solatio's if you were from 'round by we! saying that saw some in a retro shop in the mander centre recently look like two dinner plates no wonder the trousers were so wide

then of course there was bacon-slicer in his placcy jelly sandals at willenhall baths...how could we forget that style icon

Who you calling div :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest edsuede

polyvelts?

rapovers?

bowling shoes?

brouges?

ect, ect.......?

had a preference for poly's in me school disco days, but loved my bowling shoes (aquired from nottingham bowling alley :thumbsup: ) when i started my allnighter days. liked rap-overs, but would end up sliping over, more times than not :angry:

come on fuel your foot fetish :ohmy:

alan

These days, Loakes Royals in burgundy - style quality and comfort!

Social source share

These days, Loakes Royals in burgundy - style quality and comfort!

Might just be me but i have never had a confortable pair of loakes in me life ever!!.

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Might just be me but i have never had a confortable pair of loakes in me life ever!!.

:thumbsup: You could just have uncomfortable feet?! Always found Loakes to be great - as well as me brogues, still have a pair of Loakes loafers that I've used for dancing for 20 years and they're REALLY comfy - like a pair of well-worn slippers!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert