• Replies 57
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

From DFTMC :

All I Do Is Think About You (Luvel Broadnax-Clarence Paul-Stevie Wonder) publ. Jobete

Stevie Wonder Produced by Clarence Paul

Oct-80 Tamla LP TS373 Hotter Than July

Tammi Terrell; rec 14-Jan-66 Produced by Clarence Paul

03-Jun-02 UMO CD 544 619-2 A Cellarful Of Motown [uK]

Brenda Holloway; rec 24-Mar-66 Produced by Clarence Paul

07-Feb-05 Motown CD 980 765-2 The Motown Anthology [uK]

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Gorgeous song, i've got it an old Nige Brown CD. I was told it was unissued as a 45.

Has Nige done a version as well? Jeez, I don't know how that one got past us all! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Which version are we talking about? Derek says he found it on a hip hop cd...does he mean the modern version or Tammi TERRELL? Liz(Sheridans) used to play the modern version and it escapes me who it's by...not Blackstreet but similar band???Anybody..?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Has Nige done a version as well? Jeez, I don't know how that one got past us all! :huh:

:thumbup::thumbsup:

I also can't upload it for some reason. sad.gif

Social source share

Which version are we talking about? Derek says he found it on a hip hop cd...does he mean the modern version or Tammi TERRELL? Liz(Sheridans) used to play the modern version and it escapes me who it's by...not Blackstreet but similar band???Anybody..?

Cleptomaniacs on Defected records from around 2000/1 ?

Social source share

The version on the hip hop cd was the Tammi Terrell version with a rapper rapping over the first few seconds and the last few seconds.

Derek

Social source share

Cleptomaniacs on Defected records from around 2000/1 ?

You know this really bugging me now...I know this version but I'm sure there's another one...it's a similar style to the Cleptomaniacs but not quite as housey if you get my meaning? I've looked on AMG and can't find it so maybe they called it something else.

Or maybe I imagined it....I had some heavy nights at Sheridans :thumbsup:

Social source share

You know this really bugging me now...I know this version but I'm sure there's another one...it's a similar style to the Cleptomaniacs but not quite as housey if you get my meaning? I've looked on AMG and can't find it so maybe they called it something else.

Or maybe I imagined it....I had some heavy nights at Sheridans :thumbsup:

Wouldn't be the Robin S version off the From Now On album would it?

Also got a white label 12" version similar to the Cleptomaniacs but there's no info on it.

Will dig it out later if I can find it.

Social source share

Wouldn't be the Robin S version off the From Now On album would it?

Also got a white label 12" version similar to the Cleptomaniacs but there's no info on it.

Will dig it out later if I can find it.

No it's not Robin S.....it's an American band similar to Blackstreet...quite well known? I'm almost certain I'm not imagining this!

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

While I think of it, let's also not forget that the Four Tops did a cracking version of the song on their 1981 "When She Was My Girl" album on Casablanca. Would have mentioned it before but I did forget, temporarily laugh.gif

PS - According to ASCAP, as well as those mentioned above and in this post, these people have all done the song:

ALLEN & ALLEN

BRYAN CHAMBERS

D MOB

DJ DISCIPLE

DJ MAGIC MIKE

FRANKIE KNUCKLES

JULIUS PAPP

KIRK WHALUM

LYDIA PRIM

MARC DORSEY

MASTERSTEPZ

PROPHET JONES

RANDY CRAWFORD

WENDY MOTEN

...perm any one from ten, then!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

While I think of it, let's also not forget that the Four Tops did a cracking version of the song on their 1981 "When She Was My Girl" album on Casablanca. Would have mentioned it before but I did forget, temporarily laugh.gif

PS - According to ASCAP, as well as those mentioned above and in this post, these people have all done the song:

ALLEN & ALLEN

BRYAN CHAMBERS

D MOB

DJ DISCIPLE

DJ MAGIC MIKE

FRANKIE KNUCKLES

JULIUS PAPP

KIRK WHALUM

LYDIA PRIM

MARC DORSEY

MASTERSTEPZ

PROPHET JONES

RANDY CRAWFORD

WENDY MOTEN

...perm any one from ten, then!

None of them!

I promise you...it will all be revealed once my elusive memory kicks in. Or Cunnie finds that white label, possibly :thumbsup:

Social source share

Actually I can see mr Sadot logged on...maybe if he reads this thread he will remember as he was a Sheridans stalwart and has heard this record played there..maybe his memory's better than mine...but possibly a bit too modern for him smile.gif

Don't worry I'll give up soon!

Edited by Reg
Social source share

• 1 year later...

When versions like the Tammi Terrell one only get released on CD it tends to dent the OVO argument IMHO. It's a real shame that because of the "rules" tunes like this will never get the audience & acclaim they deserve.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

When versions like the Tammi Terrell one only get released on CD it tends to dent the OVO argument IMHO. It's a real shame that because of the "rules" tunes like this will never get the audience & acclaim they deserve.

I have it on a 7 inch carver and if anyone told me I was doing wrong if I played it out they would be met with a resounding 'f*** off'

Like i've explained on the other thread...i'm all for OVO and this is the only one I have in my box... but if the record isn't released in the first place then the only way you can play it out is by making one up...simple as that...and i'd rather a brilliant record be played out as a carver than not be played out at all because it never had an official release, if people would look down on that then they seriously need to get a life IMO.

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Play it on the original format - ie the CD :rolleyes:

I bet it would sound better than off a boot.

I know that I've heard that Gladys Knight record that's on the same Motown compilation played out on a carver/boot whatever (if you ever get your hands on love) and it sounds absolutely dreadful.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Play it on the original format - ie the CD :lol:

I bet it would sound better than off a boot.

I know that I've heard that Gladys Knight record that's on the same Motown compilation played out on a carver/boot whatever (if you ever get your hands on love) and it sounds absolutely dreadful.

The carver I have is crystal clear...brilliant recording and has been played out countless times to a full dancefloor

I would rather slit my own wrists than play a CD out...besides...wouldn't even know how to cue one up...most of my mates who DJ the Manchester club scene use Pioneer CD turntables these days but i've always been a purist...vinyl or nothing for me

Social source share

The carver I have is crystal clear...brilliant recording and has been played out countless times to a full dancefloor

I would rather slit my own wrists than play a CD out...besides...wouldn't even know how to cue one up...most of my mates who DJ the Manchester club scene use Pioneer CD turntables these days but i've always been a purist...vinyl or nothing for me

Ha ha, I was just playing....Cds are pants, hate the things...they f**k up/scratch easier than records! And they look rubbish too :lol:

You obviously haven't heard the Gladys Knight one though.... :lol: Which is a damn shame as the track is great but the sound quality on Mr K's copy (not naming names of course) is very very poor!

I have a white label of Stormy that admittedly sounds great :lol:

Social source share

hi Derek

Here it is on a 45, cost me £3, has been discussed on here before,

Catch up soon!

cheers Sutty

That is a boot though innit? She didn't release anything on Tamla and it's not in the listings. The only legit release is a CD as with the Brenda Holloway I believe....

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

That is a boot though innit? She didn't release anything on Tamla and it's not in the listings. The only legit release is a CD as with the Brenda Holloway I believe....

It is a boot yeah...a fancier one than mine...but a boot nonetheless :lol:

Social source share

To me OVO should mean just that.................. not OVO but I can play the odd carver or two.

Once people take the high moral ground about original vinyl that is where they must then stay. Anybody IMHO who pays to have a piece of music copied onto an acetate or carver has broken their own code of conduct & is not in any position to criticise anybody else who doesn't happen to play OVO.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

To me OVO should mean just that.................. not OVO but I can play the odd carver or two.

Once people take the high moral ground about original vinyl that is where they must then stay. Anybody IMHO who pays to have a piece of music copied onto an acetate or carver has broken their own code of conduct & is not in any position to criticise anybody else who doesn't happen to play OVO.

What? Even if it's never been released?!

You talk some utter bollocks sometimes...seriously :lol::lol:

Social source share

What? Even if it's never been released?!

You talk some utter bollocks sometimes...seriously :lol::lol:

I didn't make the rules about OVO - other people do that.

To help me understand (& so as not to talk some utter bollocks) please explain to me why it is acceptable to play a carver (bootleg) & not okay to play a legally released CD track. If anybody can give me a definitive answer to this question I will graciously concede to their better knowledge.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

To help me understand (& so as not to talk some utter bollocks) please explain to me why it is acceptable to play a carver (bootleg) & not okay to play a legally released CD track. If anybody can give me a definitive answer to this question I will graciously concede to their better knowledge.

We are talking about Tammi Terrell in this thread...it never got an official release...as has beren stated...So what I can gather from what you're saying...is that if it hasn't had an official release then it can't be played out at all? Am I right? Because judging by your last post that's exactly what you're saying

My view is clear...if you can buy it on Original Vinyl then get it...if it HAS NEVER BEEN RELEASED on Original vinyl then if you want to hear it in a club there is no other option than to make a boot of it...simple as that.

Social source share

Guest johnm

I was trying to make the same point on the 'snob' thread but didn't put it as succinct as you

Edited by johnm
Social source share

My view is clear...if you can buy it on Original Vinyl then get it...if it HAS NEVER BEEN RELEASED on Original vinyl then if you want to hear it in a club there is no other option than to make a boot of it...simple as that.

So the official legitimate CD release being played out by you is out of the question then Beeks? :lol:

Social source share

We are talking about Tammi Terrell in this thread...it never got an official release...as has beren stated...So what I can gather from what you're saying...is that if it hasn't had an official release then it can't be played out at all? Am I right? Because judging by your last post that's exactly what you're saying

First off, at no point in my postings have I said it can't be played out.

I really don't want to sound like a radical but let me make a completely off the wall suggestion ........................... play the CD!!!! That way it DOES get played out & to make things even better you can play it in it's only official, legal release format. - Motown see the popularity of these CDs thus releasing more previously unissued gems for us all to enjoy You don't have to buy a carver or play a boot - everybody's happy!!!

Social source share

First off, at no point in my postings have I said it can't be played out.

I really don't want to sound like a radical but let me make a completely off the wall suggestion ........................... play the CD!!!! That way it DOES get played out & to make things even better you can play it in it's only official, legal release format. - Motown see the popularity of these CDs thus releasing more previously unissued gems for us all to enjoy You don't have to buy a carver or play a boot - everybody's happy!!!

That would seem to be a hell of a lot easier than making your own bootleg. What's to think about.........? :lol:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

So the official legitimate CD release being played out by you is out of the question then Beeks? :D

Ian D :P

I've been a DJ since I was 17...i'm now 35 nearly 36...and in all that time I have never once played a CD in any of my sets and don't intend to start now :huh:

Social source share

I've been a DJ since I was 17...i'm now 35 nearly 36...and in all that time I have never once played a CD in any of my sets and don't intend to start now :huh:

My God Beeks. For one so young and relatively untainted you're very quickly succumbing to that stubborn attitude that usually engulfs people twice your age and is particularly prevalent on this scene. You'll be telling me you still wear oxford bags and patch jumpers next........... :D

Social source share

Guest Beeks

My God Beeks. For one so young and relatively untainted you're very quickly succumbing to that stubborn attitude that usually engulfs people twice your age and is particularly prevalent on this scene. You'll be telling me you still wear oxford bags and patch jumpers next........... :huh:

Nah...like I said Ian...couldn't give a hoot what anyone else does...I just happen to have got the collecting bug and enjoy buying original vinyl...different strokes for different folks that's what I say :D

Social source share

Guest Trevski

OVO, with regards to Tammi T, If beeks gets a carver done, then that is OVO, as it does not exist except on CD. It's not a boot of an OVO if no OVO exists!

I totally agree with getting quality unreleased gems like this carved, if only for the fact that many venues don't have the facility to play a CD anyhow.....

PS. If you buy the CD, then get a cut done, you aren't ripping any artists off if you don't sell the cuts made from it. You can legitimately make one copy I believe. Similarly, if you paid 79p to buy it from iTunes, you can burn a few copies before they block up. So what's the diff from copying it to CD or vinyl?

PPS I am a total OVO Snob, but where no OVO exists...... Does someone have to drag in a reel-to-reel tape player 'cos they only have the studio tape?

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Beeks

PPS I am a total OVO Snob, but where no OVO exists...... Does someone have to drag in a reel-to-reel tape player 'cos they only have the studio tape?

:huh::P

Quality concept...get hold of the original mastertapes and play them only...even better than OVO :D

Social source share

Surely those two words kind of defeat any argument you may have - OVO is what it is - ORIGINAL VINYL ONLY !!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Surely those two words kind of defeat any argument you may have - OVO is what it is - ORIGINAL VINYL ONLY !!

FFS!!

So if something doesn't exist on vinyl, has never existed on vinyl, it cannot be played at all, because it never existed on original vinyl? Tell that to the guy's who got the studio tape of Kae Williams, and had cuts made; or Adey who got unreleased tapes from RCA and had cuts done to play at the 100 club! The thing does not exist on vinyl!!! Ergo, ANY vinyl cut made from the Cd or tape is the original i.e. first, vinyl it has ever existed on! If anything appears on vinyl for the fist time ever, is it not original vinyl? Not gonna argue the toss over this anymore, some folk on here would argue black is f**king white just for the sake of it. (Either that or they are genuinely thick) frusty2.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!