Levine Manifesto Interview

Hello Steve,

The interesting point here is that it was necessary to expose these tracks that way because, sadly, most DJs will only show interest in a record if they think it's rare or unreleased.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Hi Paul, so am I to infer from the above that you agree with Ian's tactics of selling fake records at a high price?....Surely not.

And not sure a friend of mine from Glos who traded a Tangeers on O'Keh for David Rhodes in a straight swap would quite see it that way either. :(

Steve

Social source share

• Replies 89
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Paul, so am I to infer from the above that you agree with Ian's tactics of selling fake records at a high price?....Surely not.

And not sure a friend of mine from Glos who traded a Tangeers on O'Keh for David Rhodes in a straight swap would quite see it that way either. :(

Steve

...nor, most probably, would Ginger Taylor :unsure: . Has he still got that blown-up Four Vandals label on his record Box?

Social source share

And not sure a friend of mine from Glos who traded a Tangeers on O'Keh for David Rhodes in a straight swap would quite see it that way either. :lol:

Steve

Hello Steve and Jerry

I don't agree with the tactics but the result certainly proved my point about DJs putting too much emphasis on rarity instead of musical content.

Of course it's a shame if anyone lost out financially but I'm afraid that can be a risk of being a "rare soul" DJ these days.

Did Ginger Taylor buy the Four Vandals record because he liked it or because he thought it was rare? I doubt he would have shown much interest if it had been a common new release at £10.00

There are so many great soul records that deserve exposure. Many of them have been overlooked by DJs simply because they aren't considered to be rare enough. How sad is that?

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello,

I just had a call from Ian.

As he isn't a member of soulsource he asked me to point out that he's very annoyed with some inaccuracies in this thread and, not surprisingly, is taking some comments personally - particularly things said by Steve Guarnori who he considers to have gone "beyond the realms of fair criticism".

I really think it's time to end the hypocrisy and personal attacks. This is a public forum and people should ensure their comments are accurate and fair.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Hello,

As he isn't a member of soulsource he asked me to point out that he's very annoyed with some inaccuracies in this thread and, not surprisingly, is taking some comments personally - particularly things said by Steve Guarnori who he considers to have gone "beyond the realms of fair criticism".

I really think it's time to end the hypocrisy and personal attacks. This is a public forum and people should ensure their comments are accurate and fair.

Paul Mooney

Ooooh, very annoyed is it? Perhaps Ian would like to apologise for the 4 Vandal fake, the David Rhodes fake and the Venetia Wilson fake before he starts getting on his high horse and trying to tell other people how to behave. Is that accurate and fair enough?

Social source share

I'm sure anyone who has posted here believes their postings are accurate and fair. I don't consider Ian's article was accurate and fair and that's why I raised it on here. He wrote something in a magazine which a lot of us read and this is a forum for discussion, just because it's Levine doesn't mean we can't talk about it.

Social source share

This is a public forum and people should ensure their comments are accurate and fair.

Paul Mooney

I agree entirely,so I assume that the next issue of Manifesto will carry an apology from Ian regarding the inaccuracies he quoted regarding the Dome.

After all, the whole point of this thread was about the inaccuracies in the remarks Ian made.

fair's fair !!

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Hello,

Paul Mooney

Perhaps Ian should have considered this before he called ALL members of this site cockroaches on Mary Fox's show.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Perhaps Ian should have considered this before he called ALL members of this site cockroaches on Mary Fox's show.

:lol: I so very utterly annoyed and I bet I'm not the only one, Paul please call Ian and let him know.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

I'm sure anyone who has posted here believes their postings are accurate and fair. I don't consider Ian's article was accurate and fair and that's why I raised it on here. He wrote something in a magazine which a lot of us read and this is a forum for discussion, just because it's Levine doesn't mean we can't talk about it.

Ady,

I didn't even suggest than any topic should not be discussed, I'm very much against censorship as I've often said on soulsource. I just asked for some fair play and an end to personal attacks.

It's obvious from the sudden postings that some people have strong views about Ian and / or his music. People are free to like or dislike his music but make sure it doesn't get personal.

I tried to calm things down because it seems that some people are enjoying criticising him just for the sake of it - as if it was a new sport. Bootleggers and fraudsters have had better treatment on soulsource.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

As I have did not hear MF's show , or have seen / read any transcripts of the same , just what was the background to Ian's tirade towards us ? .....

I personally have done nothing to offend Mr Levine , unless you count the time I snogged Joanne Leach ....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

laugh.gif I so very utterly annoyed and I bet I'm not the only one, Paul please call Ian and let him.

I'm too busy to act as a go between and messengers can get shot sometimes ...not that I'm afraid of a few bullets.

:lol:

I like Ian and I admire his determination and passion. He's more than capable of defending himself but he isn't a member of soulsource so he doesn't have the opportunity.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

I'm too busy to act as a go between and messengers can get shot sometimes ...not that I'm afraid of a few bullets.

huh.gif

I like Ian and I admire his determination and passion. He's more than capable of defending himself but he isn't a member of soulsource so he doesn't have the opportunity.

Paul Mooney

I really dont know,as he been thrown out of soul source or something?,if not why not become a member he can defend i`m self then. :lol:

Social source share

Paul Mooney

Of course every member of Soul Source has the opportunity to go on Mary Fox's radio show and defend themselves don't they.

If Ian Levine wants to broadcast insults on radio, then admit to defrauding people, and making totally false claims in magazine interviews, when people have no right of reply through those same mediums, what right does he have to complain if people use other mediums.

Yes, he discovered a lot of good records, over thirty years ago. More recently his behaviour has been an embarrassment and a disgrace. I wonder how you can admire someone who broadcasts personal insults, admits to fraud, and attempts to re-write history to show himself in a favourable light. Personally I think all these traits are despicable, your view of people obviously differs from mine.

Social source share

Hello,

Paul Mooney

Well I just had a call from Ian and he said that he thought it was wonderful that everyone was discussing him again as that hasn't happened for some time on the Northern Soul scene .. at least 3 months anyway.

I advised him to join Soul Source then he could congratulate and thank everyone personally.

I'm sure he's not barred is he?

Social source share

[quote name='millbrand' date='Aug 16 2007, 08:22 PM' post='560702'

Bootleggers and fraudsters have had better treatment on soulsource.

Paul Mooney

Sorry Paul but that is just not true

Cheers Paul

Hello Paul,

I clearly remember being outraged at some members defending bootleggers on soulsource. And some of those bootleggers also turned out to be serious fraudsters.

At least one of the bootleggers joined soulsource twice with different identities and I called for him to be banned. Some people chose not to get involved, others actually defended them.

I remember it well because I received personal threats of violence (which didn't work) and I served legal notices on two of the bootleggers. One of them was raided by South Wales police and the fraud squad.

Some soulsource members, however, were very supportive and it was much appreciated.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

:lol:

Paul Mooney

Why would Ian got to the trouble to joining and defending himself? He's using you Paul to do it for him.

Derek

Social source share

Yes Paul, you're quite right I remember it now.

Sorry for my earlier post

Glad you don't tar all soul sourcers with the same brush.

Cheers Paul

We're all different, Paul. Some of us are sad old men and others are even sadder.

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello,

Paul Mooney

Fascinating Paul, Ian could have spoken to me if he feels that way, and as I have said before I do not have a personal grudge against him.

I stand by the David Rhodes story, but if he's feeling hurt I am happy to put a sock in it and move on.

However Ian should do the same and stop knocking us all in his interviews...that would be fair I think?

Steve

Social source share

I don't have a comment to make about this particular bit of Ian's interview, as I have never attended a Dome all nighter and thus I wouldn't know one way or the other, but I have to say that his memories of the start of the scene (and his role in it) are remarakbly accurate - not just because he gives me lots of mentions, either.

Anyone who doesn't remember them almost the same way, couldn't have been there.

Ian certainly wasn't there at the start of the scene about three years later although he was collecting motown earlier,the scene was flourishing along with hundreds of rare imports at the wheel,cats,chateau,and quite a few other venues before a 17 year old Ian turned up and it was at least 12 months after that when he actually contributed any new sounds to the scene.He certainly re wrote the beginings of the scene but did have a major part in helping the scene to grow and is swons project brought a lot of people back into the scene.

Social source share

Ian certainly wasn't there at the start of the scene about three years later although he was collecting motown earlier,the scene was flourishing along with hundreds of rare imports at the wheel,cats,chateau,and quite a few other venues before a 17 year old Ian turned up and it was at least 12 months after that when he actually contributed any new sounds to the scene.He certainly re wrote the beginings of the scene but did have a major part in helping the scene to grow and is swons project brought a lot of people back into the scene.

======

is this THE Brian Phillips?

Social source share

It is I'm not in trouble am i cheers Brian

Hi Brian, welcome to the mad house lol, nice to have one of the original pioneer's of the scene here at last, I don't wish to comment on this thread as it really has no interest to me but just wanted to say hello and welcome you to SS, a place where we can share the passion of everything Soulful.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Hi Brian,

Good to have some qualified comment on the early days of the scene, particularly the places you were breaking the mould through your supply of imports.

I'm just amazed that you can stay looking so good having been around back then you handsome brute!!

All the best mate,

Neil Jones :thumbsup:

Social source share

Based on the rest of the interview and some of his other comments - it's a re-writeof history, but as I wasn't a Dome regular can't comment on that particular point re the 4 Vandals, but do know it was an 8-2 am type event.

is it possible for somebody to post the article in question to save me buying the magazine

Social source share

Fascinating Paul, Ian could have spoken to me if he feels that way, and as I have said before I do not have a personal grudge against him.

I stand by the David Rhodes story, but if he's feeling hurt I am happy to put a sock in it and move on.

However Ian should do the same and stop knocking us all in his interviews...that would be fair I think?

Steve

Hello Steve,

Yes, Ian is certainly taking things personally so I think you should have a chat with him to try and sort things out. People will always have different views on things but there's usually some common ground or a compromise if people look for it.

We all get so passionate about music sometimes that things get out of hand.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hi Brian, welcome to the mad house lol, nice to have one of the original pioneer's of the scene here at last, I don't wish to comment on this thread as it really has no interest to me but just wanted to say hello and welcome you to SS, a place where we can share the passion of everything Soulful.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Thanks Mark for your welcome iV@e been reading this site for years but my mother warned me off these sort of things she said I meet the wrong type of people regards Brian

Social source share

Hi Brian,

Good to have some qualified comment on the early days of the scene, particularly the places you were breaking the mould through your supply of imports.

I'm just amazed that you can stay looking so good having been around back then you handsome brute!!

All the best mate,

Neil Jones :thumbsup:

Cheers Niel I hope to see you tonight see your still giving the bullshit out

Social source share

Welcome to Soul Source, Brian. It's customary for new members to do us an intro in the Intros forum https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showforum=44 - just tell us a bit about yourself! :thumbsup:

Thanks Rachel i@ll have a look at that but not to clued up on this forum stuff I may have to get my son to help me when he returns from raving in Ibiza regards Brian

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert