Levine Manifesto Interview

I think history may have been re-written.

"The Dome was running all-nighters at the time and had a policy whereby anything made after 1970 wouldn't get played. Every time I went there I would get asked for the Four Vandals. They simply couldn't get enough of it. As soon as it was on the decks the floor would fill and this for a record that was recorded in 1999. Had they known that it would have been banned from the club."

The Dome didn't run all-nighters, did Levine ever DJ there? I thought not, when he asked Matt Jahans for a spot Matt asked him to do a tape and he went off in a hissy fit. Did anyone ever play the Four Vandals there or has he completely lost it (again)?

Social source share

• Replies 89
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"The Dome was running all-nighters at the time and had a policy whereby anything made after 1970 wouldn't get played. Every time I went there I would get asked for the Four Vandals. They simply couldn't get enough of it. As soon as it was on the decks the floor would fill and this for a record that was recorded in 1999. Had they known that it would have been banned from the club."

The Dome didn't run all-nighters, did Levine ever DJ there? I thought not, when he asked Matt Jahans for a spot Matt asked him to do a tape and he went off in a hissy fit. Did anyone ever play the Four Vandals there or has he completely lost it (again)?

Based on the rest of the interview and some of his other comments - it's a re-writeof history, but as I wasn't a Dome regular can't comment on that particular point re the 4 Vandals, but do know it was an 8-2 am type event.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I don't have a comment to make about this particular bit of Ian's interview, as I have never attended a Dome all nighter and thus I wouldn't know one way or the other, but I have to say that his memories of the start of the scene (and his role in it) are remarakbly accurate - not just because he gives me lots of mentions, either.

Anyone who doesn't remember them almost the same way, couldn't have been there.

Social source share

Yeah, you're right Ady. I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned it earlier. Firstly, 70s records were played at the Dome. A small proportion admittedly but there was certainly no exclusion. I remember hearing stuff like Mind & Matter (I've got a tape to prove it), Jan Jones, Co Co & Ben, Bobby Rich, Lil Major Williams and others. Levine didn't DJ there and I never heard the Four Vandals played.

Social source share

i think he meant the rocket nighters

never saw him at the dome . or heard 4 vandals.

Social source share

I went to the Dome regually and never heard the 4 vandals but I was not there every week, suppose only people like Matt J, Dave Flynn etc can really answer that one.

You hear all sorts about Ian Lavine, but what strikes me is how somebody can so regually, knowingly state things in print and on film that he knows are completely untrue, how could you look others in the eye knowing you have repetitively done that? or more importantly you are in fact full of S***!

He's a very strange man..

m

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

I went to the Dome regally and never heard the 4 vandals but I was not there every week, suppose only people like Matt J, Dave Flynn etc can really answer that one.

You hear all sorts about Ian Lavine, but what strikes me it how somebody can so regally, knowingly state things in print and on film that he knows are completely untrue, how could you look others in the eye knowing you have repetitively done that? or more importantly you are in fact full of S***!

He's a very strange man..

m

I did go regularly (good job you didn't go every week Mal as it was only on Bi monthly :huh: ) & I never heard the zzzzzz factor.

All nighters ? Hmmmm :thumbsup: Ady & Mal comments? spot on as usual :thumbup:

Social source share

Yeah, you're right Ady. I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned it earlier. Firstly, 70s records were played at the Dome. A small proportion admittedly but there was certainly no exclusion. I remember hearing stuff like Mind & Matter (I've got a tape to prove it), Jan Jones, Co Co & Ben, Bobby Rich, Lil Major Williams and others. Levine didn't DJ there and I never heard the Four Vandals played.

Think that was one of the few times I went - wasn't it Arthur Fenn who played those in his set? Certainly recall the Bobby Rich and Coco & Ben - I loved it, though looking up now and again there were a few crossed arms and scowling faces in there :thumbsup:

Social source share

Did anyone ever play the Four Vandals there or has he completely lost it (again)?

It was only ever played once as far as i remember & that was by Dave Flynn & the record went down pretty well if i remember rightly, this was about a month before IL played the 100 club & although despised in certain quarters a few people were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, unfortunately not long after his 100 club appearance he lost the plot again big time & from hearing his recent radio interview & the Manifesto bit it sounds like he hasn't moved on in the slightest.

Simon

Social source share

Think that was one of the few times I went - wasn't it Arthur Fenn who played those in his set? Certainly recall the Bobby Rich and Coco & Ben - I loved it, though looking up now and again there were a few crossed arms and scowling faces in there :thumbup:

I was probably one of them!

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Think that was one of the few times I went - wasn't it Arthur Fenn who played those in his set? Certainly recall the Bobby Rich and Coco & Ben - I loved it, though looking up now and again there were a few crossed arms and scowling faces in there :thumbsup:

Arthur Fenn played those two plus many other goodies in his set (Unique Blend). Mick Smith played three good 70s in a row in his set I can other remember the Lil Major Williams/ whatever it was c/u though. Carl & Greg used to play the occasional one too.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Hmm, maybe Ian has forgotten that he told everyone how cr#p the Dome was after they wouldn't let him DJ there, and as for the 4 Vandals I'll ask Flynn or Greg to comment, they'd remember if it ever got a spin. He is a funny old stick isn't he? Daft as a brush and surrounded by crazy people and daleks. Its rather sad. Has anyone still got those hilarious photos? :ohmy:

Someone should ask Phil Dick whether he found god after his visit to the Levine home gymn. :lol:

Social source share

and as for the 4 Vandals I'll ask Flynn or Greg to comment, they'd remember if it ever got a spin.

It was deffo Dave who spun it Stu, don't know whether he'll admit that though!

Simon :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

It was deffo Dave who spun it Stu, don't know whether he'll admit that though!

Simon :ohmy:

He fessed up immediately. I have told him that he can no longer be my friend. :lol:

Apparently Ian asked him to play it. Thats about all he has to say on the matter, apparent from screaming "It was only the once! I was young and foolish and I thought he was my friend" before bursting into tears. :lol:

Social source share

The 4 Vandals did get played at the Dome, I went and heard it on at least 3 occasions. People did dance to it, I do remember Janine Snow wiggling her backside about the dance-floor (if you're reading this Janine, I'm not a perv..............well................... I am but don't tell anybody). I'm not sure if David Flynn and Carl Fortnam keep their playlists but I'm certain they were the ones who played it, must have been I tended to go just to get a look at David's sexy legs !!!!! David was playing some unreleased September Jones stuff at the same time too. The reporting of the Dome all-nighter is in fact an error on Manifestos part, I'm surprised that Mike Ritson didn't pick this up before printing. I'm rather aghast that a thread like this even gets on this medium, it is after all pretty much a non-event, I know Levine-bashing is considered quite hip, especially on SS, but reading all the mails posted so far, c'mon guys, surely we have better things to do. As much as some people don't like it and can't accept it the 4 Vandals did, maybe still does, get played at venues, saying otherwise now that's re-writing history.

Social source share

The 4 Vandals did get played at the Dome, I went and heard it on at least 3 occasions. People did dance to it, I do remember Janine Snow wiggling her backside about the dance-floor (if you're reading this Janine, I'm not a perv..............well................... I am but don't tell anybody). I'm not sure if David Flynn and Carl Fortnam keep their playlists but I'm certain they were the ones who played it, must have been I tended to go just to get a look at David's sexy legs !!!!! David was playing some unreleased September Jones stuff at the same time too. The reporting of the Dome all-nighter is in fact an error on Manifestos part, I'm surprised that Mike Ritson didn't pick this up before printing. I'm rather aghast that a thread like this even gets on this medium, it is after all pretty much a non-event, I know Levine-bashing is considered quite hip, especially on SS, but reading all the mails posted so far, c'mon guys, surely we have better things to do. As much as some people don't like it and can't accept it the 4 Vandals did, maybe still does, get played at venues, saying otherwise now that's re-writing history.

Hi Chris, nobody said it didn't get played, I was asking whether it did and it appears so, though not by Ian as the article inferred. However the rest of the paragraph is either incorrect or misleading and is about Ian making out he got one over on everyone at the Dome when as you can see that's hardly the case. It's not Levine bashing, just defending a terrific club that a lot of us on here loved to go to.

Social source share

Someone should ask Phil Dick whether he found god after his visit to the Levine home gymn. laugh.gif

What on earth is this supposed to mean?

I've never been to either the Dome or Ian Levine's gym. If you're going to make fun of me and my faith at least have the decency to explain what you're on about.

Social source share

Couldnt give a flying one about IL bashing or any other "scene politics",but this is clearly trying to say that he got one over on the Dome crowd, DJ's and punters alike, and is total nonsense. He got his knickers in a twist when they woudnt give him a spot without a demo tape, as EVERY dj had to, not to scrutinise the quality of the set but to try to blend the whole evening together.

I dont understand who, comments like this are aimed at. The CSC events were popular with every part of the country and every sub-genre of the NS scene, so who does he or the writer think was going buy this twaddle?

Social source share

Hi Chris, nobody said it didn't get played, I was asking whether it did and it appears so, though not by Ian as the article inferred. However the rest of the paragraph is either incorrect or misleading and is about Ian making out he got one over on everyone at the Dome when as you can see that's hardly the case. It's not Levine bashing, just defending a terrific club that a lot of us on here loved to go to.

C'mon Ady the thread was ambiguous at best look at the replies it generated.

"Couldnt give a flying one about IL bashing or any other "scene politics",but this is clearly trying to say that he got one over on the Dome crowd, DJ's and punters alike, and is total nonsense. He got his knickers in a twist when they woudnt give him a spot without a demo tape, as EVERY dj had to, not to scrutinise the quality of the set but to try to blend the whole evening together.

I dont understand who, comments like this are aimed at. The CSC events were popular with every part of the country and every sub-genre of the NS scene, so who does he or the writer think was going buy this twaddle?"

"Strange,can´t comment on the Dome thing,but one things for sure........levine brought some fantastic sounds to the scene(then) BUT he was an arsehole arrogant know all , "Shane Martin-never came out in England!!" we know better look at this ....should have seen his face."

"He is a funny old stick isn't he? Daft as a brush and surrounded by crazy people and daleks. Its rather sad. Has anyone still got those hilarious photos? Someone should ask Phil Dick whether he found god after his visit to the Levine home gymn."

It's getting to be as tedious as a rare soul set, this is a very good medium with some great contributions and thankfully the majority of the members steer away from Levine baiting, let's move on for heavens sake.

Social source share

C'mon Ady the thread was ambiguous at best look at the replies it generated.

It's getting to be as tedious as a rare soul set, this is a very good medium with some great contributions and thankfully the majority of the members steer away from Levine baiting, let's move on for heavens sake.

No. Ambiguous means something has two meanings and my post quoted from a magazine article that was largely incorrect and made comments about that article. If Levine continues to misrepresent a chapter of Northern Soul history he will be corrected. I'd expect the same treatment if I were to come out with a questionable version of events.

I agree this is a brilliant medium and only people involved with each particular topic are likely to comment as we've seen from this. I don't expect anyone from Yorkshire say would give a damn unless they were visitors to the Dome when Ian honoured it with his presence. So to declaim the thread as Levine baiting is wrong.

Social source share

That's the crux of the matter.

Everyone except Ian has moved on.

Whilst his massive contribution to the scene 30 plus years ago is unquestionable - he currently has no influence on the scene other than as a bit of a laughing stock to some people.

Unfortunately for Ian, he doesn't have either the good grace or common sense to know when he is on a hiding to nothing, and that by being a little more humble he could have made his mark again.

Insulting everyone on Soul Source has done him no favours, in fact it's probably galvanised ill feeling towards him, and brought a few more 'anti' Levine members into the camp.

He's making himself into a very bitter and sad individual, for the sake of his mental health I'd recommend that he dropped any connection with the 'Northern Soul' scene and concentrate on something more positive.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Whilst his massive contribution to the scene 30 plus years ago is unquestionable - he currently has no influence on the scene other than as a bit of a laughing stock to some people.

Unfortunately for Ian, he doesn't have either the good grace or common sense to know when he is on a hiding to nothing, and that by being a little more humble he could have made his mark again.

Insulting everyone on Soul Source has done him no favours, in fact it's probably galvanised ill feeling towards him, and brought a few more 'anti' Levine members into the camp.

He's making himself into a very bitter and sad individual, for the sake of his mental health I'd recommend that he dropped any connection with the 'Northern Soul' scene and concentrate on something more positive.

sounds about right to me.

joe, tell us that fish and chip story tongue.gif

shane

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Alan H here i was the co-founder of the Capitol Soul Club along with Irish Greg.

Ian Levine wanted to dj at the club so we said to Matt who was our promotor that he should send a tape to us so that we could check out what he was going to play.

He didnt send a tape and went from saying he enjoyed the club to slagging it off whenever he could.

We chose our favourite djs it was a club for us and our mates and we had a ball for the 5 years it ran.

We were only on 6 times a year and ran from 9 till 3.

Hope that sorts out any points about the Capitol

Cheers

Al H cool.gif

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

I don't expect anyone from Yorkshire say would give a damn unless they were visitors to the Dome when Ian honoured it with his presence.

I'm from Yorkshire and I wasn't there that night at the Dome or indeed any other, and you're right I don't give a damn.

In fact it has so little bearing to my life that I wouldn't have posted to this at all save for the weird comment by one Stuart T relating me, and Ian Levine's gym to this thread.

Social source share

No. Ambiguous means something has two meanings and my post quoted from a magazine article that was largely incorrect and made comments about that article. If Levine continues to misrepresent a chapter of Northern Soul history he will be corrected. I'd expect the same treatment if I were to come out with a questionable version of events.

I agree this is a brilliant medium and only people involved with each particular topic are likely to comment as we've seen from this. I don't expect anyone from Yorkshire say would give a damn unless they were visitors to the Dome when Ian honoured it with his presence. So to declaim the thread as Levine baiting is wrong.

This is where we disagree Ady, from where I stand it looks like Ian is the only guy getting these

kind of personal insults............for heavens sake, his love of Dr Who, Superman comics, his

relegious beliefs, are they really part of any rational objective ? I am not convinced they are,

Simon Soussan was a real scoundrel, where are the postings on him, Mike Ritson spelt my name

wrong twice...........on the same page !!! Not one single thread ;-)) Anyway I feel it's dead horse

flogging so I shall, in the words of Dobie Gray, just drift away from this issue. This in no way affects

my feelings for you BTW.............................

(disclaimer : no animals were used in the writing of this posting - the use of "SS" is as a shortcut for Soul Source

and is not meant to represent a 1940's para-military movement)

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Next Q alan when are you going to run a (i hate the term) 're-union'

Best soul night i've ever attended.

Cheers Baz

Im sure we will all get together again and have a big knees up mate

But not just yet i need to find out who nicked our massive Capitol Soul Club banner on our last night :D

Cheers

Al H

Social source share

========

maybe he is but ill always be a fan of ian

i think he had a lot to offer the scene when he came back and some of the tunes he played on searling shows were awesome and certainly inspired me to go searching for those old 60s/70s mecca tunes.

defo on of the scenes characters and am glad knew him for a short while....and ANS was a scream at times,,couldnt wait to get back home from work and see what was on there...

Social source share

========

....and ANS was a scream at times,,couldnt wait to get back home from work and see what was on there...

It really was a bizarre soul list, sometimes I used to keep it on at work and watch this amazing

posts coming in..........luckily I had my own office but my colleagues used to ask why I was

giggling so much................................. :)

As for the man himself scene's far better with him than without, he's pretty infectious when

you're with him. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I'm from Yorkshire and I wasn't there that night at the Dome or indeed any other, and you're right I don't give a damn.

In fact it has so little bearing to my life that I wouldn't have posted to this at all save for the weird comment by one Stuart T relating me, and Ian Levine's gym to this thread.

:) Oh never mind Phil. PMed you again.

I fail to see what Ian Levine has actually added to the northern soul scene since the 70s aside from a whole load of divisiveness six or seven years ago when he alleged that He was going to destroy the other London clubs. Its no wonder that people love him so much. I just wonder why Manifesto bothered interviewing him as that has all been done to death and his activities with fake records are hardly something to give him a platform for, was there anything else of more relevance and interest in the article?

:thumbsup: Back atcha Chris! :( I still miss Honky Donkey, 6Ts Newie Pig, Psyxchic Sweary Parrot and that Major character. The madness, the madness! FOAD

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

But not just yet i need to find out who nicked our massive Capitol Soul Club banner on our last night :thumbsup:

Cheers

Al H

:( now you mention it Al, i do remember the banner coming down, but i was too interested in trying to get my fizog in the ender photo shoot by the decks to think about it. Damn, i wish i had thought about getting it first :)

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I've looked in all the major guides and Googled it as well, but I can't find anything about any tracks by the Queens Horses on Gold Carriage!

Any chance of a clip anyone?

Its a cover up mate.

Social source share

laugh.gif Oh never mind Phil. PMed you again.

I fail to see what Ian Levine has actually added to the northern soul scene since the 70s

I have actually asked Mike why he gave over valuable "Manifesto" space to this interview.

As for the fake records, it's certainly something that Ian shouldn't boast about, and it didn't stop with Venecia Wilson or the 4 Vandals either -David Rhodes - actually a pretty good record of his (an acetate in the 70's, pressed in the late 90s and sold off to people as "original copies found in Danny Leake's basement" - more deceipt and rubbish.

Social source share

I have actually asked Mike why he gave over valuable "Manifesto" space to this interview.

As for the fake records, it's certainly something that Ian shouldn't boast about, and it didn't stop with Venecia Wilson or the 4 Vandals either -David Rhodes - actually a pretty good record of his (an acetate in the 70's, pressed in the late 90s and sold off to people as "original copies found in Danny Leake's basement" - more deceipt and rubbish.

Hello Steve,

The interesting point here is that it was necessary to expose these tracks that way because, sadly, most DJs will only show interest in a record if they think it's rare or unreleased.

Rarity is interesting but not when it's at the expense of the music.

The scene would benefit from DJs who play good records - rather than just rare records - and DJs would be rated on their musical taste instead of their financial status.

The best things in life are free ...or quite cheap.

:)

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Edited by Paul
Social source share

The scene would benefit from DJs who play good records - rather than just rare records - and DJs would be rated on their musical taste instead of their financial status.

wink.gif

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

I am waitin`in the wings,waitin`for the call. :)

Social source share

Hello Steve,

The interesting point here is that it was necessary to expose these tracks that way because, sadly, most DJs will only show interest in a record if they think it's rare or unreleased.

Rarity is interesting but not when it's at the expense of the music.

:)

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Why does it always resort to the same stereotypical view that anyone who buys rare records has no taste and all ego...BORING..BORING...if every record played was cheap and cheerful the scene would not have lasted in the way that it has..most records that have been played over the years were at one point "rare" records..Nothing wrong with good rare or common records but i have seen soul events try to run with just cheapies ethos and people then moan "I can hear this at home".

and nothing and i mean nothing in life is free my friend.

biggrin.gif:thumbup:

Social source share

Why does it always resort to the same stereotypical view that anyone who buys rare records has no taste and all ego...BORING..BORING...if every record played was cheap and cheerful the scene would not have lasted in the way that it has..most records that have been played over the years were at one point "rare" records..Nothing wrong with good rare or common records but i have seen soul events try to run with just cheapies ethos and people then moan "I can hear this at home".

and nothing and i mean nothing in life is free my friend.

:)biggrin.gif

You missed my point. I didn't say that people who buy rare records have no taste or are all ego. I made the point that musical taste is more important than financial status.

It is my view, however, that at times the emphasis on rarity is at the expense of good music.

At one time the scene was focused on good records, many of which just happened to be rare. I'd hate it to be focused on rare records, many of which just happen to be good.

There's a big difference.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

At one time the scene was focused on good records, many of which just happened to be rare

Yes this is very true of the 70's and 80's when fresh tunes were turning up by the box load ,and lots of new releases were played alongside the rareuns .. Today Everything goes to auction , people are more aware of the money records ,and seem to be impressed by expensive auction records in playlists.. Its mainly quite boring now IMO unless its a good social !! .. :)

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert