Dionne Warwick - Northern Dancers On Scepter ?

Sunnysoul

Dionne's Scepter output was almost exclusively in an instantly recognisable style, of course.

But were any of these tracks played on the northern scene ?

Frank Elson used to write in Blues & Soul that "Window Wishing" was popular at the Wheel .

Heard on a tape a track of hers from '67 called " I Never Knew What You Were Up To" , an utterly brilliant dancer and totally different to her usual Bacharach / David work. LP only ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Dionne's Scepter output was almost exclusively in an instantly recognisable style, of course.

Frank Elson used to write in Blues & Soul that "Window Wishing" was popular at the Wheel .

Heard on a tape a track of hers from '67 called " I Never Knew What You Were Up To" , an utterly brilliant dancer and totally different to her usual Bacharach / David work. LP only ?

Hi

I purchased a copy of Dionne Warwicks 'Home Is Where There Is Love' UK Pye International LP from a charity shop only last week.

It has this track on it & I was knocked out by it also - as you say unlike her usual B/D stuff (which I love as well by the way) so was pleasantly suprised to see your thread.

Don't know if it was a 45 though.

Pete

Social source share

Hi

I purchased a copy of Dionne Warwicks 'Home Is Where There Is Love' UK Pye International LP from a charity shop only last week.

It has this track on it & I was knocked out by it also - as you say unlike her usual B/D stuff (which I love as well by the way) so was pleasantly suprised to see your thread.

Don't know if it was a 45 though.

Pete

Glad you like it Pete ! I have it on an Australian Scepter EP !!!!!!!

Social source share

Took me a while to dig it out but "Are you there (with another girl) is a great bit of Burt B and Hal D up town soul.

Sounds great played through a big system. Very catchy.

I also love her version of "Oh lord what are you doing to me" from her first album (I think)

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Hi Guys,

Nice thread.

I'm a fan of Dionne Warwick but confess I'm not familiar with ALL her work.

These you mention, "Window Wishing", which you say was a Twisted Wheel number, and "I Never Knew What You Were Up To", a brilliant dancer, I've never heard before.

Also "Home Is Where There Is Love".

Any chance of a soundbyte of each?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can oblige.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Hi Guys,

Nice thread.

I'm a fan of Dionne Warwick but confess I'm not familiar with ALL her work.

These you mention, "Window Wishing", which you say was a Twisted Wheel number, and "I Never Knew What You Were Up To", a brilliant dancer, I've never heard before.

Also "Home Is Where There Is Love".

Any chance of a soundbyte of each?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can oblige.

Found "Window Wishing" on YouTube.

I went to the Wheel and can't imagine this being played there. Although they did have midweek sessions so it might have been played then.

Back in the day, it wasn't easy to get to Manchester from Liverpool midweek so I only made the weekend visits.

Social source share

"You Can Have Him" used to get played in Mod clubs about 10 years ago...

We used to joke that this was the worlds first Jungle/Drum 'n'Bass record
:D

Love it meself unfortunately dropped my copy (Scepter) on our laminate floor the other day and cracked it(bloody styrene)

Cheers Paul

PS Don't know if you'd class it as 'northern" but I think "Slaves" (Scepter) is a darn good tune, flip to "April Fools"
:shhh:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

''Anyone Who Had A Heart', 'Walk On By', 'Wishin and Hopin', 'Make it Easy on yourself' so many great songs.

I think 'Another Night' is her best uptempo song though, maybe a bit fast for us lot?

Social source share

''Anyone Who Had A Heart', 'Walk On By', 'Wishin and Hopin', 'Make it Easy on yourself' so many great songs.

I think 'Another Night' is her best uptempo song though, maybe a bit fast for us lot?

Anyone got a MP3/Soundbite of her "People I've Got To Be Free"? Pleeeezz wink.gif

Social source share

Having a Dionne 'Fest' at the moment.

Played 'Reach Out' & 'This Empty Place' as a result of this thread - She is seriously undervalued by us Soul fans. Have always rated her sister (De De) as being the more soulful but have just listened to her slowed down version of the Shirelles 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow' from the Luther Vandross produced LP 'So Amazing' & you can really hear 'The Church' in her voice.

Wandering a bit here as I have just noticed this topic was supposed to be about Northern Dancers!!!!!!!!!!

I remember once talking to a girl who did not really know what Soul Music was but whose favorite singer was Dionne & favourite record 'You'll Never Get To Heaven'

Pete

Social source share

Guest martyn

Yes 'martyn' LP of the same name....................Thom Bell produced loveliness

Cheers Paul

Paul,I honestly can't remember how it sounded,only the name . Central Hall Kettering in 75 was where I remember it from.

Social source share

Took me a while to dig it out but "Are you there (with another girl) is a great bit of Burt B and Hal D up town soul.

Sounds great played through a big system. Very catchy.

I also love her version of "Oh lord what are you doing to me" from her first album (I think)

Regards

Alan

Hang on............I ve got a nice version of this!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert