Who Wouldn't You Play

Guest dundeedavie

• Replies 65
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

nothing's out of bounds for us ....... if it can stand up as a decent dancefloor track .... tom jones ... elvis ... peggy lee ...... sandie shaw ..... lulu ..... cliff ..... cilla ..... some good tracks from that motley crew.

link

I particularly like that number Cilla used to sing when reuniting long lost families on TV - they should play that on the scene.... :D

Hammy

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Any artist with name with a prefix, ie Screaming, Fat, Howling, Blind, Big, Little (there are exception to the "little" rule) etc.....just sounds too Swampy for my tastes.

I think I'd  also give Girls Aloud a miss  :lol:

link

Wern't most of Keb and Guy's cover up names along the lines of:

Little someone and the somethings, featuring big mamma someone :D

I'd be a tad miffed to hear a Michael Jackson song played by you DJ lot.

Social source share

Just my thoughts on the what you will play thread.There should be two approaches and people should adopt one or the other.

1. Play anything by anyone if it sounds 'soulful' enough.

2. Only play 'soulful' music by black artists.

Any mixture of the two approaches is hypocritical; or at least unprincipled IMO.

If Dean Parrish is OK then why not Elvis, and Timi Yuro then why not Dolly Parton.

Remember no one (with the a few notable and mainly crass exeptions) ever set out to record a northern soul record. They just happen to hit the formula that hits to spot with some of us at least. Obviously this accidental hitting on the right formula can happen to any artist. Even Paul Anka.

For my perspective if it sounds good and soulful it gets my vote.

Social source share

Just my thoughts on the what you will play thread.There should be two approaches and people should adopt one or the other.

Any mixture of the two approaches is hypocritical; or at least unprincipled IMO.

If Dean Parrish is OK then why not Elvis, and Timi Yuro then why not Dolly Parton.

Remember no one (with the a few notable and mainly crass exeptions) ever set out to record a northern soul record. They just happen to hit the formula that hits to spot with some of us at least. Obviously this accidental hitting on the right formula can happen to any artist. Even Paul Anka.

link

:D

Social source share

With the Elvis track I would go by my ears, and not play it. I actually love Elvis, the only other artist I listen to outside of soul so not just saying this cause it's an Elvis track.

Have you heard Only the strong servive,great choon`Elvis nobody can really take the piss out off,he had something soulfull goin`on,now M jackson,as he done anything remotely,like a soul record?so he could dance,looked cute!,give Elvis a break hear,he`s responsable for more people wantin` to listen to black/R&B,than wacko anyday,any soulfull jacko choons out there,please let us know,mabe somebody can prove me wrong,iv`e not heard everything you know.ken

Social source share

With the Elvis track I would go by my ears, and not play it.  I actually love Elvis, the only other artist I listen to outside of soul so not just saying this cause it's an Elvis track. 

Must be desperate to be different if you have to resort to Elvis as well IMHO.  There is so much unknown/forgotten, lesser/semi known soul/northern soul out there that can be played to make you different from other DJ's,  not just expensive but 100's of cheap 45's.

link

But I know someone who has Rubbernecking by Elvis and its pretty good! :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

link

I doubley agree with Shane

:lol::D

Social source share

Any artist with name with a prefix, ie Screaming, Fat, Howling, Blind, Big, Little (there are exception to the "little" rule) etc.....just sounds too Swampy for my tastes.

I think I'd  also give Girls Aloud a miss  :D

link

:lol: Hang on sweetie - aren't these the very words you use to describe him indoors? :D:P

Social source share

I wouldn't NOT play something just because of who the artist was (played the odd Dusty track sometimes, 'Here She Comes' I think is great).

Surely Dusty's greatest ever Northern dancer is "Silly Silly Fool" on Atlantic (US only) from 1969 written and produced by Gamble and Huff in Philly !!!

Can't get any more credible than that , can you ? That tune ought to be a monster on the scene !!!

Social source share

Surely Dusty's greatest ever Northern dancer is "Silly Silly Fool" on Atlantic (US only) from 1969 written and produced by Gamble and Huff in Philly !!!

Can't get any more credible than that , can you ? That tune ought to be a monster on the scene !!!

link

Oh yes, forgot about that, have that too though not my normal style of thing... must agree, surprised it doesn't get more plays.

Social source share

I think I'd  also give Girls Aloud a miss  :P

link

Big is ok sometimes...."oh lord,what are you doing for me" :D

It seems the RnB thing really gets to some...Finding the difference between quality gritty soulful RnB and 2 c"nts from Preston(country and western)cowboy music etc...I can take a little of anything :lol: The odd record i don't like aint gonna stop me going to a night in the future...If you don't want to hear a tune you don't like then have the all-niter in you're front room :D

Social source share

Here it is.

Lulu-There has got to be a way.

Enjoy!!

link

Can anybody tell me whats soulful about this vocal. Its got a good modern dance backing track. Thats it.

As Chalky said 'desperate to be different'.

And I have no problem with white artists before anyone jumps down my throat.

This is not Soul music. Full stop. IMVHO.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert