Laine Hill Or Hall?

Guest soulmaguk

Guest soulmaguk

Can anyone help? does anynone know what the original 'laine hill-time marches on' look like? i.e. colour, stamps. Also, is the bootleg Hall or Hill? what colour is the boot?

Thanks Soulmag.

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Easy. It's Lanie Hill. The original New Voice is half blue half yellow-ish. The bootleg is blue and white using the same design. There's a second boot on a dark blue New Voice which makes no attempt to copy the original design and this may well be credited to Lanie Hall. Same record though.

Social source share

that's great...easy for you guys. gonna have to have guide to boots and pressings for Xmas, much obliged.

The one thats going in the big box with me when the time comes.Number one tune from my early days on the scene mid 70s :unsure:

Social source share

I'm fairly certain it is Dave ( of course i may be wrong)

How did you deduce this :lol: ? Surely not because of a mis-spelt boot :yes: ?

More info if possible :rolleyes:

Cheers

Social source share

Dave

I'm pretty certain I read it in one of those old All-Nighter mags (Soul Time or Soul Symbol),but it was a long time ago and you know how memory can play tricks on you.

I am quite prepared to believe i'm wrong,and after digging around on a couple of websites i found a couple of Discographys for her and there was no mention of "Time Marches On"...pity.

If you do turn up anymore information about real identity,I would be very interested to hear from you.

Social source share

Laine Hill also recorded as Elaine Hill on RSVP. Both Time Marches on and Isn't It Just A Shame written by Gary Knight who recorded with Tracey Dey as Dey and Knight.

Chalky,

You got a contact for Gary Knight? Or a lead I can pursue?

Reckon Tracy Dey could be Lanie Hill? Didn't she also do something on Mala?

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Chalky,

Yeah she recorded on Amy - Go Away, sh*t if I remember rightly. Think I took one in trades years ago....soon moved it on.

Can't help with Gary Knight I'm afraid. I did find reference to a cd, singles collection, of Tracey Dey...no referene to Laine Hill though....

TRACEY DEY - The Singles Collection

The singles collection from Tracey Dey - and a few cuts with Gary Knight as Dey & Knight too! 23 tracks.

Jerry (I'm Your Sherry)

Once in A Blue Blue Moon

Long Time No See

Jealous Eyes

Teenage Cleopatra

Who's That (I Dreamed Smiled at Me)

Teddy's the Boy I Love

Here Comes the Boy

Gonna Get Along Without You Now

Go Away

Hangin' On To My Baby

Ska Doo Dee Vah I Won't Tell

Anykind of love

Blue Turns To Grey

Didn't Ya

Hanky Panky

Shakin' the Blues Away

Young Love - with Gary Knight as Dey & Knight

I'm Gonna Love You Tomorrow - with Gary Knight as Dey & Knight

Sayin Something - with Gary Knight as Dey & Knight

Ooh Do La Do Lay - with Gary Knight as Dey & Knight

Marchin Home - with Gary Knight as Dey & Knight

Edited by chalky
Social source share

could try checking this guy out Dave??? https://www.myspace.com/dynovoice

This is Leonardo. He's the guy that I'm working with to try and locate Lanie Hill and Kenny Wells. He wrote the Dynovoice feature for the latest issue of There's That Beat! I'm sure someone out there must remember who they were. Can't find any other recordings by them at all. Maybe psuedonymns? The hunt goes on...

Social source share

This is Leonardo. He's the guy that I'm working with to try and locate Lanie Hill and Kenny Wells. He wrote the Dynovoice feature for the latest issue of There's That Beat! I'm sure someone out there must remember who they were. Can't find any other recordings by them at all. Maybe psuedonymns? The hunt goes on...

Just guessing but I would say Elaine Hill is maybe her real name, the name she used on RSVP????? :thumbsup:

Not got the latest issue yet, just ordered it :D

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help? does anynone know what the original 'laine hill-time marches on' look like? i.e. colour, stamps. Also, is the bootleg Hall or Hill? what colour is the boot?

Thanks Soulmag.

Ahh! Laine Hill's Time Marches On, one of the last 5 Dynovoice/NewVoice/Crewe I've been looking for! (why is it that the last 5 records on a label are always impossible to find or out of my price range?)

First off I would like to thank Dave to allow me to write and have an article published in his magazine. One reason why I wanted the article to be in There's that beat is that I knew the layout would be top notch...and it was! Beautifu! As a fan of the label Dave and Jason definately caught the spirit of DynoVoice with those hypnotic Dark Blue and Orange glossy pages. So a deep and belated thank you to both Jason and Dave! Cheers!

I had decided to write the DynoVoice/NewVoice Soul story in three parts: DynoVoice Bell (prt 1), NewVoice Bell (prt 2) and DynoVoice Dot (prt 3). Also if you see that I left out any indepth article on The Toys Attack/Lovers Concerto LP is that I wanted to devote an article alone on that LP and the great lost Toys II LP that was partly recorded and shelved and unreleased as of 2007. The Dynovoice bell story was 15 pages alone and to add NewVoice to that would have easily doubled the story!

First off that's a great scan of that Laine Hill 45rpm you have! Signed by Herb Bernstein! Fantastic...What's the story behind that record?

I have contacted Gary "Knight" Weston about both Kenny Wells and Lainie Hill. He honestly doesn't remember much as it was so long ago and he was involved with over 1500 songs by the mid 7T's! Gary was only involved with the writing of Time Marche On and was not present at the recording of the songs. Herb Bernstein could answer some of those questions concerning Elaine Hill, I've written him a few times but I know he's still a busy producer and I haven't received any reply from him.

Kenny Wells has fallen into the same mystery as well. I've Talked to both Gary Knight and the cowriter of Isn't It A Shame Gary Gant who was and still involved with the Invitations. Kenny just seems to be one of those people that Knight lost contact with and Gary Gant only wrote the song and wasn't involve with the recording of it. Maybe Herb Bernstein might know who he was but Kenny Wells definately wasn't a member of The Inviations as Gary Gant doesn't recognize the voice. The good news in all this discussion is that Gary Gant is going to include Isn't It a Shame in the current Invitations live set as he was unaware of it's popularity of the song.

As I'm sort of finished with Young Birds Fly and I have some time again the next logical step is to talk with Herb Berstein and Bob Crewe and hopefully we could get a bit of info out to solve this mystery!

Cheers!

Leonardo Flores

Social source share

Ahh! Laine Hill's Time Marches On, one of the last 5 Dynovoice/NewVoice/Crewe I've been looking for! (why is it that the last 5 records on a label are always impossible to find or out of my price range?)

First off I would like to thank Dave to allow me to write and have an article published in his magazine. One reason why I wanted the article to be in There's that beat is that I knew the layout would be top notch...and it was! Beautifu! As a fan of the label Dave and Jason definately caught the spirit of DynoVoice with those hypnotic Dark Blue and Orange glossy pages. So a deep and belated thank you to both Jason and Dave! Cheers!

I had decided to write the DynoVoice/NewVoice Soul story in three parts: DynoVoice Bell (prt 1), NewVoice Bell (prt 2) and DynoVoice Dot (prt 3). Also if you see that I left out any indepth article on The Toys Attack/Lovers Concerto LP is that I wanted to devote an article alone on that LP and the great lost Toys II LP that was partly recorded and shelved and unreleased as of 2007. The Dynovoice bell story was 15 pages alone and to add NewVoice to that would have easily doubled the story!

First off that's a great scan of that Laine Hill 45rpm you have! Signed by Herb Bernstein! Fantastic...What's the story behind that record?

I have contacted Gary "Knight" Weston about both Kenny Wells and Lainie Hill. He honestly doesn't remember much as it was so long ago and he was involved with over 1500 songs by the mid 7T's! Gary was only involved with the writing of Time Marche On and was not present at the recording of the songs. Herb Bernstein could answer some of those questions concerning Elaine Hill, I've written him a few times but I know he's still a busy producer and I haven't received any reply from him.

Kenny Wells has fallen into the same mystery as well. I've Talked to both Gary Knight and the cowriter of Isn't It A Shame Gary Gant who was and still involved with the Invitations. Kenny just seems to be one of those people that Knight lost contact with and Gary Gant only wrote the song and wasn't involve with the recording of it. Maybe Herb Bernstein might know who he was but Kenny Wells definately wasn't a member of The Inviations as Gary Gant doesn't recognize the voice. The good news in all this discussion is that Gary Gant is going to include Isn't It a Shame in the current Invitations live set as he was unaware of it's popularity of the song.

As I'm sort of finished with Young Birds Fly and I have some time again the next logical step is to talk with Herb Berstein and Bob Crewe and hopefully we could get a bit of info out to solve this mystery!

Cheers!

Leonardo Flores

Hi Leonardo

One of my favourite labels Dyno-Voice, thanks for taking the time to

write the fantastic article in "There's That Beat!"

a Quality publication as you quite rightly state.

Social source share

Hi Leonardo

One of my favourite labels Dyno-Voice, thanks for taking the time to

write the fantastic article in "There's That Beat!"

a Quality publication as you quite rightly state.

Thanks! It's much appreciated.

I had a great time writing the article and talking to so many talented people. I've been a huge fan of the label for years and I had way too many questions that had been unanswered for too long.

Does anybody have a scan of the "Laine Hall"

bootleg as I would like to see it as I've never seen it before. I can use it in the next article.

Thanks again & KTF,

Leonardo

Social source share

I had a great time writing the article and talking to so many talented people. I've been a huge fan of the label for years and I had way too many questions that had been unanswered for too long.

bootleg as I would like to see it as I've never seen it before. I can use it in the next article.

Thanks again & KTF,

Leonardo

Hi Leonardo

The only New-Voice I have are all Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels.

New_Voice_811a_DJ.jpg

The New-Voice stuff also had the Variety of Label, I have seen "Break Out" Blue Paper, and Blue Printed Vinyl.

Whereas the Original Laine Hill only on Paper Label similar to the DEMO above.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

post-2477-1193867462_thumb.jpg

Thanks again & KTF,

Leonardo

post-2477-1193867462_thumb.jpghope this is ok not too good with computers

kev

Social source share

Hi Leonardo

The only New-Voice I have are all Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels.

New_Voice_811a_DJ.jpg

The New-Voice stuff also had the Variety of Label, I have seen "Break Out" Blue Paper, and Blue Printed Vinyl.

Whereas the Original Laine Hill only on Paper Label similar to the DEMO above.

Bell manufactured their 45rpms with both a painted or silkscreened label and regular paper label. As you correctly stated the promos were printed in diffrenty colors ( althought there are a couple of exceptions.) I doubt that the Laine Hill 45 was ever released as a Blue stock copy as nobody has seen any over the last 40 years. If somebody found a true stock copy that would be one rare 45rpm.

Thanks for the Laine Hall post that is one odd record!

Cheers

Leonardo Flores

Social source share

Bell manufactured their 45rpms with both a painted or silkscreened label and regular paper label. As you correctly stated the promos were printed in diffrenty colors ( althought there are a couple of exceptions.) I doubt that the Laine Hill 45 was ever released as a Blue stock copy as nobody has seen any over the last 40 years. If somebody found a true stock copy that would be one rare 45rpm.

Thanks for the Laine Hall post that is one odd record!

Cheers

Leonardo Flores

Hi Leonardo

It does beg the question, as it is apparently a Promo Only.

Why? Wasn't it ever Issued on a Stock Copy.

It's Such a Brilliant record.

Very near to the Top of my wants list.

Yet someone decided not to release it., I've only ever seen DEMO's

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

Chalky,

Recorded for VeeJay and Columbia "Marchin Home" another Knight Crewe number.

I have a unreleased acetate of a Crewe number "Little Miss Lonely heart".

Dont foget my copy of Magazine after Guy's bd Bash!

Social source share

Hi Leonardo

It does beg the question, as it is apparently a Promo Only.

Why? Wasn't it ever Issued on a Stock Copy.

It's Such a Brilliant record.

Very near to the Top of my wants list.

Yet someone decided not to release it., I've only ever seen DEMO's

That's a great question concerning it's lack of promotion. I believe that with racking in the Hits and money with The 4 Seasons, Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels and Frankie Valli, these small one record contract deals such as Maggie Thrett and Laine Hill fell between the cracks. I had talked with the Margo Brothers of the Tokens who also had a independent label called BT Puppy who told me that artists would walk in off the street on a Monday, record them, press the record and have it at the radio station by the weekend, if the song wasn't a hit that was the last time they ever saw the artists...ever! That's an extreme example but there was just so much talent with Crewe, Gaudio, Calello, Denny Randall, Sandy Linzer, Brown-Bloodworth, Gary Knight etc etc. that a brillant record such as Isn't it a shame and Time Marches On would just sort of disappear between releases. Here we are nearly 40 years later asking the question "why?"

Unrelaesed Crew? I'm always up to hearing that!

Leonardo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert