Ain't No Mountain High Enough

https://cgi.ebay.com/MARVIN-GAYE-45-AINT-NO...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope that link works!!

Can someone explain why this pop favourite of my mother's is getting played at the expense of say around ten thousand and upward tunes of better quality and who on earth is bidding on it. OK it's a demo but $122 last time I looked.

I know some of us think maybe the scene has lost it's focus in recent years but this....

ROD

Social source share

• Replies 124
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hope that link works!!

Can someone explain why this pop favourite of my mother's is getting played at the expense of say around ten thousand and upward tunes of better quality and who on earth is bidding on it. OK it's a demo but $122 last time I looked.

I know some of us think maybe the scene has lost it's focus in recent years but this....

ROD

Cos its a brill record and still played out by some DJs with taste :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

Hope that link works!!

ROD

Just off out to work, I tried the link but it didn't work for me.

I understand that the DEMO is quite RARE.

Not sure how much though.

Social source share

Can someone explain why this pop favourite of my mother's is getting played at the expense of say around ten thousand and upward tunes of better quality and who on earth is bidding on it.

Do you have that list of 10000+ tunes that are better than "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". I would really, really like to see it (and hear them).

Social source share

Well Chrissie and Mischief you're both entitled to your views even if completely erroneous!!!

Something like the Contours "Your love grows more precious" or Kim Weston "Looking for the right guy" are "great bit"s of Motown/Soul. Not this pop schmaltz.

Chrissie are you seriously suggesting that in a dj spot of usually an hour this is worth 2.30mins of anyone's time, bearing in mind what is out there to play.

ROD

Social source share

I like it that much i got it by Diana Ross and the Temptations too :P

horses for courses and no i wouldnt want to hear it at a rare soul night but an accross the board night too bloody right and why not :lol:

Social source share

Well Chrissie and Mischief you're both entitled to your views even if completely erroneous!!!

Something like the Contours "Your love grows more precious" or Kim Weston "Looking for the right guy" are "great bit"s of Motown/Soul. Not this pop schmaltz.

Chrissie are you seriously suggesting that in a dj spot of usually an hour this is worth 2.30mins of anyone's time, bearing in mind what is out there to play.

ROD

I may be wrong and he can correct me with this but I am sure Steve G ended, or played very near the end of his set at the Ath earlier this year and it filled the floor, and if I am not mistaken I am sure Mick Smith has played it out.

QoFxx

Social source share

I like it that much i got it by Diana Ross and the Temptations too :D

horses for courses and no i wouldnt want to hear it at a rare soul night but an accross the board night too bloody right and why not :lol:

We could get into the argument "does rare necessarily mean good". It is one of the few records of that genre that does fit in. IMHO :hypo:

Cetainly don't expect or want to hear a motown set at somewhere like the Ath and and I know it wouldn't happen but this one track just does seem to fit, don't know why. :P

QoFxx

Social source share

We could get into the argument "does rare necessarily mean good". It is one of the few records of that genre that does fit in. IMHO :P

Cetainly don't expect or want to hear a motown set at somewhere like the Ath and and I know it wouldn't happen but this one track just does seem to fit, don't know why. :lol:

QoFxx

I agree Chrissie that Rare dosent mean good but this aint rare it is good but not rare and thats why i wouldnt want to hear it at a rare soul night but any accross the board nights is totally acceptable to me as them kind of nights mean just that, accross the board and they should cater for everyone. and yes this does fill the floor everywhere ive been and it was played so it must be good enough for many,

Social source share

Well Mischief, maybe I am. I never had much of an ear for knowing what makes a good Northern 45.

ROD

If you think your ear is bad you dont want to hear Mischiefs :lol:

Social source share

Can someone explain why this pop favourite of my mother's is getting played at the expense of say around ten thousand and upward tunes of better quality

Sorry Rod, there are not many better records than this, in any genre of music - possibly the most uplifting record I've ever heard. I could listen to it all day.

Social source share

My mum likes this one too :lol:

And you do too Simon cos i see you dancing to it at Boogaloo when Magoo played it :P you was in the middle of the dance floor with your beer in your hand spilling beer everywhere singing along at the top of your voice, i think there is a photo of you doing it too on here somewhere :hypo:

Social source share

I may be wrong and he can correct me with this but I am sure Steve G ended, or played very near the end of his set at the Ath earlier this year and it filled the floor, and if I am not mistaken I am sure Mick Smith has played it out.

QoFxx

Mick often plays it and now he also plays the instrumental version of it I dubbed for him :lol:

Social source share

And you do too Simon cos i see you dancing to it at Boogaloo when Magoo played it :P you was in the middle of the dance floor with your beer in your hand spilling beer everywhere singing along at the top of your voice, i think there is a photo of you doing it too on here somewhere :hypo:

Paul your starting to sound like Steves brother Jack Guanori :lol:

Social source share

I can see Im out voted here so I will concede defeat gracefully, you cloth-eared knobheads!!

Thank you for putting me in my place

ROD

Whats really worrying is that, after over 30 years of soul nights, I am finally begining to remember what DJs have played, think I need to increase the vodka intake to prevent turnng into a :P:lol:

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

I can see Im out voted here so I will concede defeat gracefully, you cloth-eared knobheads!!

ROD

:P quality, maybe we are the only ones to be brave enough to admit it though Rod :lol:

Rod are you saying you dont like it at all or are you saying that it should never be played out

Social source share

ROD

Your not the only one Rod, i for one agree with you ! Don't dislike it but i was bemused at the way people were reacting, or over reacting imo, to it.

Think it was John Barker at Junction 11 that reactivated it a couple of years back now. I stand corrected if wrong :lol:

Actualy, i found it in my collection after it got popular, couldn't even remember buying it & it was in my 'to be moved on' box.

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Great record still packing the dancefloors but so overplayed and way past it sell by date.

Picked a white label promo of this complete with great info stickers on the label in Detroit earlier this year for a couple of Dollars.

Is it the US promo or UK Demo that was fetching that much on Ebay?

post-1363-1192483829_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I don't give a rats who plays or likes this record...it is one of the best..there's not many records that are more uplifting than this. When I heard Amy Winehouse had used a sample from it I nearly caught the next pendolino to give her a piece of the Reggie mind I can tell you!!

Admit it, ffs it is quality, class, perfection...a record like this cannot be bettered...end of :lol:

Edited by reg
Social source share

I don't give a rats who plays or likes this record...it is one of the best..there's fewer more records that are more uplifting than this. When I heard Amy Winehouse had use a sample from it I nearly caught the next pendolino to give her a piece of the Reggie mind I can tell you!!

Admit it, ffs it is quality, class, perfection...a record like this cannot be bettered...end of :P

are you saying you like it then Reg :lol:

Social source share

are you saying you like it then Reg :lol:

Yes!!

I am sticking my neck out for this because, whilst I realise that everybody can't like everything, this record is so joyous that most people must ,however "popular" or played out it is....

Social source share

I don't give a rats who plays or likes this record...it is one of the best..there's not many records that are more uplifting than this. When I heard Amy Winehouse had used a sample from it I nearly caught the next pendolino to give her a piece of the Reggie mind I can tell you!!

Admit it, ffs it is quality, class, perfection...a record like this cannot be bettered...end of :P

There is 'always' something better Reg ! You only have to look as far as that badge on your avatar ! There is a better one in Manchester you know :lol::hypo:

Social source share

Fantastic track, and the only track that me and my 17 year old daughter see eye to eye on, as i think it was part of a soundtrack from a film a few years ago, can't remember the name of the film but it doesn't get much better than this, as Bearsy says played in the right enviroment of course,

Pete

Social source share

Watch it..... :hypo:

i have to agree with bogue for the first time in my life on that one im afraid Reg :D

lets not go there though eh :lol:

Anyway back to anmhe, i agree Reg it is loved and enjoyed by so many why not hear it played out its got a good vibe about it :P

Social source share

i have to agree with bogue for the first time in my life on that one im afraid Reg :D

Anyway back to anmhe, i agree Reg it is loved and enjoyed by so many why not hear it played out its got a good vibe about it :P

But there is only one team in Manchester Bearsy...the other as you know is in Trafford :hypo: Surely you remember us from the other year eh???

Social source share

Nuthin like a bit of varied taste to make the world go round. Soul is Soul from whatever era, never seen the need to get in a sweat about whos playing what when or where though if you dont like the music switch it off.

The Man in Black

Edited by reforee
Social source share

I'd like to make three points...

1. You can't put a value on something which is priceless.

2. You can't reactivate something which has been constantly active for 40 YEARS since it was an international soul and pop hit.

3. That's all for now.

:lol:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

But there is only one team in Manchester Bearsy...the other as you know is in Trafford :lol:Surely you remember us from the other year eh???

no.gif terrible memory me Reg, i forgot everything that happened a century ago :P

i tell you what a poll would of been great for this thread

Social source share

Fantastic track, and the only track that me and my 17 year old daughter see eye to eye on, as i think it was part of a soundtrack from a film a few years ago, can't remember the name of the film but it doesn't get much better than this, as Bearsy says played in the right enviroment of course,

Pete

Didn't realise that Pete.

Anyone else remember which film ?

i have to agree with bogue for the first time in my life on that one im afraid Reg :shhh:

ohmy.gif Ooh you liar ! You agreed with me that pink was your colour & Moggy is a jaxy b****** only last week !

Social source share

:lol: Ooh you liar ! You agreed with me that pink was your colour & Moggy is a jaxy b****** only last week !

I dont watch films as i can never get access to the remote control thats why im always on here with headphones in, what was the film about and is it worth watching

nothing wrong with pinkl and yes your right about moggy :P

Social source share

:lol: Ooh you liar ! You agreed with me that pink was your colour & Moggy is a jaxy b****** only last week !

Bogue, it was something like 'stepmother' and there was a scene where the actress was dancing round her bedroom miming to it, using her hairbrush s a mic, then again i could have dreamt it :P

Social source share

Bogue, it was something like 'stepmother' and there was a scene where the actress was dancing round her bedroom miming to it, using her hairbrush s a mic, then again i could have dreamt it :lol:

:P Hope not or it was a strange dream Pete.

Social source share

:P Hope not or it was a strange dream Pete.

i hope his sheets dried in time for bed the next night :lol:

can anyone remember the film as its doing my head in and im tired now

Social source share

Great record still packing the dancefloors but so overplayed and way past it sell by date.

Picked a white label promo of this complete with great info stickers on the label in Detroit earlier this year for a couple of Dollars.

Is it the US promo or UK Demo that was fetching that much on Ebay?

post-1363-1192483829_thumb.jpg

92ac_1.JPG

US DEMO >>> LINK <<< It went for $122.50

I sure that someone on Soul Source, recently

suggested this to be quite RARE on a White DEMO.

At the time I remember realising that I hadn't seen one.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

There is 'always' something better Reg ! You only have to look as far as that badge on your avatar ! There is a better one in Manchester you know :P:P

:lol:

i have to agree with bogue for the first time in my life on that one im afraid Reg :lol:

:yes:

Anyway back to anmhe, i agree Reg it is loved and enjoyed by so many why not hear it played out its got a good vibe about it thumbsup.gif

But there is only one team in Manchester Bearsy...the other as you know is in Trafford :lol: Surely you remember us from the other year eh???

:shhh:

QoFxx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert