Duffy On Jools Holland

Guest Rowly

Anyone else see her last night? .... Not bad at all I thought.

she takes a while to get going here but pretty darn good when she does!

"> Edited by Rowly
Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Got her after returning from Little Reg's book signing, and how great was she! Been listening to her stuff for a few months now and she is superb, very soulful and with a feel to her voice that few have, very soulful and very emotive. Top woman! Right up there with Ray Lamontagne for sheer class.

Social source share

Guest dudleysteve

Saw her live last week in Birmingham. Mercy definately the stand out track.

Single out in Dec (rockferry) and album out in March, and touring Feb/March.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Great to see this thread.

Was saying exactly the same to the better half, awsome voice. Loved the Mercy track. Wondering if the album track will be same?

Not as keen on Rockferry.

I've signed up to the website so hopefully will get the lowdown on the release date.

https://www.iamduffy.com/

Doc

Social source share

she takes a while to get going here but pretty darn good when she does!

Yeah spose so. But what is it with all these white chicks wanting to sound like Etta James all of a sudden? And how long before this fad passes and you and me can go back to listening to Argo records with a quaint smile?

75% appreciation for the quality. 25% dubious mistrust of how it all came to be.

Social source share

Very cute pop music by a very talented pop artiste.

Like Joss Stone and Amy Winehouse these are all are talented pop performers who appear to have been inspired by classic soul music.

But I would never use the word "soul" in relation to the music that these artists are making ...

Surely if you've ever listened to Garnett Mimms or Etta James or the Impressions and so on, can't YOU tell the difference between these artists and the Joss Stone's of this world ?

Social source share

Very cute pop music by a very talented pop artiste.

Like Joss Stone and Amy Winehouse these are all are talented pop performers who appear to have been inspired by classic soul music.

But I would never use the word "soul" in relation to the music that these artists are making ...

Surely if you've ever listened to Garnett Mimms or Etta James or the Impressions and so on, can't YOU tell the difference between these artists and the Joss Stone's of this world ?

Yeah of course.... cos we all know that Soul singers have to be black don't we eh? White (Brits) just can't do it to save their life! :rolleyes:

You're honestly saying that if that had been just a sound file and not a video clip you would have spotted her as a young white Brit pretender? :thumbup:

btw.... the "next Amy Winehose" bit I put was intended to be tounge in cheek - from the little I've heard of this Duffy so far I'd say she's got a better voice & more talent... (unless of course it's just she's not off her face on booze & smack all the the time yet!)

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

It's a pleasant enough piece of music. She's undoubtedly talented.

But why this obsession with white pop acts who include black-influenced musical styles as part of their 'shtick'?

In the past year or two on this site there's been threads praising (among others) Amy Winehouse, Joss Stone and even (unbelievably) Christina Aguilera - let's not even mention Frank Popp.

Where are the threads praising genuinely talented and original black artists such as Betty Wright, Bettye Lavette, Linda Jones and myriad others?

Still, if nothing else it shows the A&R /PR monkeys at record companies are getting more savvy, I suppose.

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

DUFFY, is a welsh girl from nefyn nr PORTHMADOC,

FOR YOU NON-WELSH PEOPLE, WHO BUY THE SUN,AND GO ON THESE £9.50 HOLIDAYS,

IT,S NR GREEN ACRES/HAVEN

IF YOU WANT TO MEET HER

SHE IS COMMING WITH ME TO THE AMLWCH ALL-NIGHTER ON DEC 15TH

P.S.

THE LAST TIME I WENT ON A £9.50 HOLIDAY,WAS TO SOUTHPORT

ME AND THE DRAGON HAD JUST GOT BACK ON SPEAKING TERMS

SO I TOOK HER ON HOLIDAY,

WHEN WE GOT TO THE CAMP,WENT TO BOOKING OFFICE;

f*** ME ,ON THE WALLS MOTOWN POSTERS ALL OVER THE PLACE

IT WAS A MOTOWN WEEKEND

YOU F----ING KNEW ABOUT THIS DIDN,T YOU

STOP TALKING AGAIN,

TO MAKE IT WORSE,

WE ALL CAUGHT FLEECE

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I saw her on Jools too. I was instantly reminded of Lulu and the Luvvers...

Not necessarily a bad thing, Lulu recorded a sensational version of 'Here comes the night' before being coaxed over to the dark side...

Social source share

A lot of fuss about nowt if you ask me...I closed my eyes and heard any even more whiny version of winehouse..if that's possible.

Not my cup of tea sorry...and definitely not soulful..imo of course tongue.gif

Edited by reg
Social source share

It's a pleasant enough piece of music. She's undoubtedly talented.

But why this obsession with white pop acts who include black-influenced musical styles as part of their 'shtick'?

In the past year or two on this site there's been threads praising (among others) Amy Winehouse, Joss Stone and even (unbelievably) Christina Aguilera - let's not even mention Frank Popp.

Where are the threads praising genuinely talented and original black artists such as Betty Wright, Bettye Lavette, Linda Jones and myriad others?

Still, if nothing else it shows the A&R /PR monkeys at record companies are getting more savvy, I suppose.

Very much agree Sweeney - It does seem odd at times that we start raving about artists such as Duffy / Winehouse and Stone the minute the record companies start promo'ing the material (No surprise there). No doubt the 3 ladies in question have talent but if you want southern grits / passion and genuine talent start buying / listening to the thousands of soul records already out there. There seems to be some glaring gaps in peoples collections if we are raving about Duffy and not Ellison/Wright/Peebles et al. The music is and has been out there for a very long time and continues to be so - There will always be a wave of certain style and genre when one catches on - others will follow. I'm not knocking these new artists per se as I'd rather listen to that than your indie/rock band type material and if it makes the listener want to explore that genre then great. I have friends who will ask if I've heard Duffy / Fried etc and I'll say yes but have you heard of such and such - to which the answer will be no... I have that horrible feeling it's tied in to a particular buyer/ listener that the record companies are aiming and succeeding at and I don't think that group is the likes of us. Just my opinion of course.. :ohmy:

Best

Rich

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Yeah of course.... cos we all know that Soul singers have to be black don't we eh? White (Brits) just can't do it to save their life! :yes:

You're honestly saying that if that had been just a sound file and not a video clip you would have spotted her as a young white Brit pretender? :lol:

btw.... the "next Amy Winehose" bit I put was intended to be tounge in cheek - from the little I've heard of this Duffy so far I'd say she's got a better voice & more talent... (unless of course it's just she's not off her face on booze & smack all the the time yet!)

i've just contacted her managment team and sugested they make her and her band up like this

_38223299_minstrel300.jpg

instant soul band :lol:

i thought she had a fantastic voice, love warwick road thumbsup.gif

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Yeah of course.... cos we all know that Soul singers have to be black don't we eh? White (Brits) just can't do it to save their life! whistling.gif

You're honestly saying that if that had been just a sound file and not a video clip you would have spotted her as a young white Brit pretender? :unsure:

No they dont have to be but you will find that a large majority are, check your history books and think you will see thats generally now documented as fact. You will find all the greatest are and about 98.9% of the greatest soul records are made by not only Black artists, but generally by US Black artists. And before I get a playlist from the latest Northern night, this thread is very much about soul artists, not Northern Soul, and therefore the responses Rich, Sweeney etc give are not only understandable but needed. The usual lazy ar*e soul police response is not only tiresome but incredibly uninformed.

And in case you dont get their point it is if you are holding them up as a great soul singer you should be comparing them to Rozetta Johnson/Millie Jackson not Amy Whinehouse.

And before I get the same abuse as before, I am not saying this latest greatest press tip is bad, havent bothered to listen to her as yet, just if you are a genuine soul fan (I repeat not defining Northern but the universally accepted genre that is soul music, that shock horror is alive, if maybe not in quite the same abundance today) you may be should be looking elsewhere for the next best sensation.

The closest analogy I can get to what you are saying is comparing a new tram to a classic train, sure there are similarites and probably from the same broad thinking design idea but they are not the same!

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

This all seems a bit twisted to me. No one picks on Wynton Marsalis for being black and playing classical music. No one criticised Hendrix for being black and playing rock. It's all just music and colour doesn't come into it. Right now there appear to be more white girls singing real soul than black girls, but even if there are, so what?

Important thing number one. A singer needs a voice that people like to listen to. Unimportant thing number one. People like what they like. Some idiots insist they only like one kind of thing, but most will admit jumping genres on more than the odd occasion.

So if you find a singer with a voice that you like singing a song that you like, celebrate it. Who cares if Joss Stone puts more anguish into her songs than any young middle class white chick could possibly have survived? 'Super duper love' and 'Do you wanna ride' were a couple of superb little ditties and the world is better off for having heard them. Amy Whinehouse? I admire the voice, but she's not really recorded anything that appealed to me, but that ain't 'cos she's not black, it's because I don't like her choice of song, it's no big deal...

...She probably wouldn't like mine.

Social source share

No they dont have to be but you will find that a large majority are, check your history books and think you will see thats generally now documented as fact. You will find all the greatest are and about 98.9% of the greatest soul records are made by not only Black artists, but generally by US Black artists. And before I get a playlist from the latest Northern night, this thread is very much about soul artists, not Northern Soul, and therefore the responses Rich, Sweeney etc give are not only understandable but needed. The usual lazy ar*e soul police response is not only tiresome but incredibly uninformed.

And in case you dont get their point it is if you are holding them up as a great soul singer you should be comparing them to Rozetta Johnson/Millie Jackson not Amy Whinehouse.

And before I get the same abuse as before, I am not saying this latest greatest press tip is bad, havent bothered to listen to her as yet, just if you are a genuine soul fan (I repeat not defining Northern but the universally accepted genre that is soul music, that shock horror is alive, if maybe not in quite the same abundance today) you may be should be looking elsewhere for the next best sensation.

The closest analogy I can get to what you are saying is comparing a new tram to a classic train, sure there are similarites and probably from the same broad thinking design idea but they are not the same!

Blimey! talk about missing my point completely! I'm hardly holding up Winehouse as a great Soul singer. More like as a contemporay singer who is better than most (contemporay singers) and is enjoying chart success with material that has a 60's / classic soul feel about it - and in the process hopefully switching a few kids onto the wealth of great music out there that we all love.

I absolutely LOVE big powerful female vocals... Etta James, Margie Hendrix, Ann Peebles, Gladys Knight, Betty Lavette, Tina Turner, Martha Reeves, Leah Dawson, Erma Franklin, Carolyn Franklin, Dorothy Berry, Anna King, Marva Whitney, Lyn Collins, Irene Reid.... I could go on & on& on.

Of course 98.9% of the best soul music is made by Black Americans... (if I'm gonna really stir up a hornets nest I'd say between the years of 1963 - 1975 but that's a different discussion completely :thumbup: ) my comment was a mild pop at those that seem to wanna dismiss anything from non black non Americans / contemprary singers as not worth listening to. You even state that that you haven't even bothered to listen to her yet but you've taken trouble to reply to my post ...

This Duffy - to my ears at least - has a bloody good voice on her, with more than a bit of soul in there, I thought I'd flag her up on a here so those that might not of heard her yet could have a listen too...

Social source share

Blimey! talk about missing my point completely! I'm hardly holding up Winehouse as a great Soul singer. More like as a contemporay singer who is better than most (contemporay singers) and is enjoying chart success with material that has a 60's / classic soul feel about it - and in the process hopefully switching a few kids onto the wealth of great music out there that we all love.

No sorry but I think I am getting your point completely, and all I am saying is why go for pale imitations when there are far better examples out there. Jill Scott/Ledisi/Valerie Adams/Trudy Lynn etc. etc.have all made much bettter and more authentic contemporary soul records in last 2 years than this, the only difference is this is mimicking a 60's soul feel e.g. the instrumentation, and therefore you say coz its like Northern it must be soul. My view is why play them imitations when there is too much of the real stuff to focus on. Apologies if a bit strong its just that like many others I get very frustrated when people hold up imitiations as the real thing. Doubt if you will like much of the above due to their contemporariness, and trust me many soul fans with far better knowledge than I dont like contemporary soul, I dont have a problem with that, all my point is if you want to hold something up as better than most do a little more homework. Otherwise these few kids will end up searching out the crap, its happened a number of times during our scenes history!

Of course 98.9% of the best soul music is made by Black Americans... (if I'm gonna really stir up a hornets nest I'd say between the years of 1963 - 1975 but that's a different discussion completely :thumbup: ) my comment was a mild pop at those that seem to wanna dismiss anything from non black non Americans / contemprary singers as not worth listening to. You even state that that you haven't even bothered to listen to her yet but you've taken trouble to reply to my post ...

This Duffy - to my ears at least - has a bloody good voice on her, with more than a bit of soul in there, I thought I'd flag her up on a here so those that might not of heard her yet could have a listen too...

I would actually say probably narrow years 1966-1973 for all the greatest Soul music but 10 minutes in my record room would soon find exceptions, I would also however say most of these great records would not be for dancing to and that is the beauty of Soul, many differing views within one genre, however what it shoudn't allow us to do, is ignore the defining characteristics of the genre, which is the voice in soul music.

Have now listened to your woman, she sings relatively soulful in a Joss Stone sort of way, but, and I have said it before, so allegedly does (did!) Pavrotti (not in a Stone way obviously) and so does the music of Batehoven, they are not Soul however!

Apologies if you are getting it in the neck here, as appreciate from your list and other things on here your taste is probably fairly good in the soul world but time and time again lately we, the Soul Police as it suits for differing arguments, have to apologise for trying to get people to appreciate soul at the quality end when people hold up poor examples! Why??

Not a problem with people openly arguing about pop/indie/freakbeat as it is, but why not spend a little time (general comment here not to you) looking a bit deeper if you want (and only if you want) to like Soul music in its entirity!

Social source share

After a bit of a read maybe my post was a bit harsh-she isn't a bad singer really and also I think that

in retrospect Rowly wasn't saying that this girl was as good as some of the best Black proper soul artists but maybe some welcome relief from a lot of the other tat that us office types have to endure on daytime radio.

For example this morning I've had:

Wet Wet Wet

Limahl

Yazz

Take That

Michael Buble or whatever he is called

Katie Melua

to name just a few bad examples...this is on Imagine Radio the station of choice here (we used to listen to Smooth which was ever so slightly better but not much)....

Social source share

No sorry but I think I am getting your point completely, and all I am saying is why go for pale imitations when there are far better examples out there. Jill Scott/Ledisi/Valerie Adams/Trudy Lynn etc. etc.have all made much bettter and more authentic contemporary soul records in last 2 years than this, the only difference is this is mimicking a 60's soul feel e.g. the instrumentation, and therefore you say coz its like Northern it must be soul. My view is why play them imitations when there is too much of the real stuff to focus on. Apologies if a bit strong its just that like many others I get very frustrated when people hold up imitiations as the real thing. Doubt if you will like much of the above due to their contemporariness, and trust me many soul fans with far better knowledge than I dont like contemporary soul, I dont have a problem with that, all my point is if you want to hold something up as better than most do a little more homework. Otherwise these few kids will end up searching out the crap, its happened a number of times during our scenes history!

Well I have to admit Jocko that I'm not familiar with any of those ladies you mention... but then as you correctly say I don't listen to a lot of contempory soul artists.... save for Sharon Jones / Daptone stuff - I'm still hearing loads of (new to me) stuff from the 60's (& a bit of 70's) to keep me busy...

I would actually say probably narrow years 1966-1973 for all the greatest Soul music but 10 minutes in my record room would soon find exceptions, I would also however say most of these great records would not be for dancing to and that is the beauty of Soul, many differing views within one genre, however what it shoudn't allow us to do, is ignore the defining characteristics of the genre, which is the voice in soul music.

I originally put '66 -'73 in my post but went back and changed it as It seemed too narrow a band - and when thought about things a bit more decided '63 - '75 covered things better (tho still with a few other exceptions!)

Social source share

After a bit of a read maybe my post was a bit harsh-she isn't a bad singer really and also I think that

in retrospect Rowly wasn't saying that this girl was as good as some of the best Black proper soul artists but maybe some welcome relief from a lot of the other tat that us office types have to endure on daytime radio.

Yeah that's closer to what I was getting at Reg... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well I have to admit Jocko that I'm not familiar with any of those ladies you mention... but then as you correctly say I don't listen to a lot of contempory soul artists.... save for Sharon Jones / Daptone stuff - I'm still hearing loads of (new to me) stuff from the 60's (& a bit of 70's) to keep me busy...

+++++++++++

And that's the point I think some of us are trying to make. No ones having a pop at you Rowly as you have mentioned yourself who you prefer etc etc. I by no means at all consider myself a member of the soul police - I'm more Hamish Macbeth than Jack Regan! There's a ( I think) a belief - certainly within collectors I know and correspond with - that too many chase the same old same old when there's a huge wealth of material yet to be listened to by many across the myriad of genres within soul music.And the frustration lies with me in that we get excited by someone like Duffy when we all too often disregard what has already been done. Recently someone said (and they may be right I don't know) that cheap records don't sell anymore.. Are we all to chase and buy the same top 500 records? Some do and good luck to them - My bank balance can't afford it but what it can afford and has afforded me so far is several thousand 45s that still hasn't made a dent in the 'soul mountain'. I urge anyone who likes Duffy et al to support companies like Kent / Shotgun / Soulscape etc etc who put out some wonderful material on some wondeful talent. Record companies these are sh****** themselves on lost revenues and are trying to re-sell what can't be bettered. We've supported ourselves through 3 or 4 decades without bowing to record company/media hype - Why start now?

Yes I am having a cr** day at work.

Regards

Rich

Social source share

Totally agree with Rowly (apart from the years great soul music was made!!!). The other point is that you can go and see these UK performers live now and possibly right on your doorstep in some cases. As much as I'd like to see soul singers of the 60's/70's at there height, it's not a realistic thing, although Maxine Brown at the Forum came close. Joss Stone, Amy Winehouse and Duffy are the best and closest thing we have to those performers/artists of the past that we love, and although I prefer Sharon Jones and Nicole Willis they don't come to the UK regularly enough so those are the choices especially if you like live music (which I do).

Edited by timthemod
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert