Isley Brothers - Who's That Lady - United Artists

boba

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I just saw this sell on ebay for over $50 (the 60s version of "who's that lady" on united artists). It wasn't even a US issue, it was canadian. Is this in demand or something?

I have had a U.S. copy on UA. The vocals are similar to the 70s version but the backing is more R&B with an organ lead. It was produced by the great Bert Berns and I sold my copy through Ebay to Bert's son! It was also released here in 1991 on an EMI compilation CD.

Social source share

I just saw this sell on ebay for over $50 (the 60s version of "who's that lady" on united artists). It wasn't even a US issue, it was canadian. Is this in demand or something?

It's in demand with me! Ive been tryin to get a copy last few years, and always get outbid, must admit I didnt think it was a track that many would be after, got pipped again on that copy last nite angry.gif

But after a natter with a mate, he rec's he's got me one! :no:

it's a great early version of "That Lady" quite a haunting tune

Oh and it did come out on US boba! Ive seen black US issues

steve

Social source share

It's in demand with me! Ive been tryin to get a copy last few years, and always get outbid, must admit I didnt think it was a track that many would be after, got pipped again on that copy last nite :huh:

But after a natter with a mate, he rec's he's got me one! :ohmy:

steve

Great version this Steve. It's a tricky one to get, but it doesn't go for a lot when you do see it. I've played it out a few times over the years and it always goes down well, in fact it's in my box to play tonight at the Brittania in Shrewsbury. Mine's an American UA white demo.

Jordi

Social source share

It's in demand with me! Ive been tryin to get a copy last few years, and always get outbid, must admit I didnt think it was a track that many would be after, got pipped again on that copy last nite :rolleyes:

But after a natter with a mate, he rec's he's got me one! :thumbup:

steve

I know it came out on the US, this was a hit in Chicago and this still gets played on the radio (yes, I'm talking about the 60s version). That's why I'm confused about it selling for so much. I find the record pretty frequently, although it's one that tends to always be beat up and play with some styrene distortion, I rarely find it clean. I never thought it would be a $50+ record. Thanks.

Social source share

I know it came out on the US, this was a hit in Chicago and this still gets played on the radio (yes, I'm talking about the 60s version). That's why I'm confused about it selling for so much. I find the record pretty frequently, although it's one that tends to always be beat up and play with some styrene distortion, I rarely find it clean. I never thought it would be a $50+ record. Thanks.

Sorry boba, misread what you said, I've seen it top $75 before now (and that was a US buyer), and the same UK dealer has beat me to it twice now. Condition for this one would have to be mint for me, as you say it's styrene, and you know how quick styrene loses its quality. Tho I went for the one last night even tho it was only VG+ coz I was sick of missing it! (mind the sound file on buyers listing sounded dam good!)

ATB

steve

Social source share

Great version this Steve. It's a tricky one to get, but it doesn't go for a lot when you do see it. I've played it out a few times over the years and it always goes down well, in fact it's in my box to play tonight at the Brittania in Shrewsbury. Mine's an American UA white demo.

Jordi

cheers Jordi, but don't make it too popular :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Guest east rob

cheers Jordi, but don't make it too popular laugh.gif

steve

this version of the song was on a stateside sampler lp.

released mid eighties if memory serves me right. (it usually dosent) :thumbsup:

Social source share

last time i played the 45 out i was asked who had remixed it, when i said it was a 1964 the guys jaw dropped to the floor. great record. took me a few years to find it and finally got one about 7/8 years ago and not seen another one. not on any isley lp's from the time either.

cheers Paul

Social source share

this version of the song was on a stateside sampler lp.

released mid eighties if memory serves me right. (it usually dosent) :lol:

That's where I first heard it and I was looking for some years for a copy of the 45. I've had 2 copies but I haven't seen it for sale very often at all over the years.

Jordi

Social source share

Isley Brothers - Whos' That Lady - United Artists

As requested.... here's the original version from 1964. I've played this out at Lifeline to a decent floor reception, it's such a great record, and hard to believe it's that early. This should be getting a lot more DJ attention, it certainly will at the Creative Soul nights.

Not that easy to find either, just 3 copies on eBay during the last 12 months.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert