Vinyl Cutting/carving

sunra

There are a number of companies on the internet who offer a vinyl cutting/carving service. You provide them with track via cd or mp3 and they will make you a 7" or 12" copy. Has anyone ever used any of these services? How did it work out?

I'm not sure whether I will ever use them but there are some tracks that are beyond my bank account that I would love to play at parties etc.

Social source share

• Replies 74
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

'Tis the devil's work - don't go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am curious as to whom these "big money" tunes belong to - & are they willing to lend them you to carve ?- simply put them all on a CD - every "party" has a CD player

Edited by epic
Social source share

Guest bradcam

I used one once from eBay. The quality was good but I sold it on once I found an original copy. I agree, put it on a CD if you can't afford the original. If people like the tune it doesn't matter about the format IMHO. The worst thing to do is deprive people of hearing the music due to format wrangles.

Social source share

1 CD = 20 pence (max.) & it can hold 80 minutes of music (over 30 Northern Soul tracks) - fits neatly in your pocket - ideal for the "party" DJ.

How many carvers would you have to buy to equate to the above ? & what would be the cost?

I am just trying to see the logic of carver over CD.

Social source share

1 CD = 20 pence (max.) & it can hold 80 minutes of music (over 30 Northern Soul tracks) - fits neatly in your pocket - ideal for the "party" DJ.

How many carvers would you have to buy to equate to the above ? & what would be the cost?

Simple. So you can play it on your record player.

Social source share

I'm with you, for home personal use I'd sooner just use cd's or mp3's (pc goes through stereo). Carvers I use for unissued stuff for DJing only.

Social source share

Well you pleases yoursleves...I can't afford the originals so I make them myself, they look pretty good and you can touch them, feel them, look at them, play them...you can play a cd but it's not like having a record. Anyway, I did have 3 out of the 4 below as originals at one time...

post-1893-1215712760_thumb.jpg post-1893-1215712772_thumb.jpg

post-1893-1215712784_thumb.jpg post-1893-1215712796_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Well you pleases yoursleves...I can't afford the originals so I make them myself, they look pretty good and you can touch them, feel them, look at them, play them...you can play a cd but it's not like having a record. Anyway, I did have 3 out of the 4 below as originals at one time...

like you say Pete each to their own, I'd just sooner use the money towards records I can afford and play the ones I can't afford off cd. Trouble is after twelve weeks on the club (sick) with my elbow I can't afford any :thumbsup::thumbup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I think the sound on the 45s coming from VinylCarvers is WAY below par. Very low volume (even on tracks that are less than 2 minutes) and a thin sound that is too heavy on the mid-range frequencies. It's almost impossible to play a carver after a loudly pressed original 45 at a club without compromising the sound quality or getting feedback through the system because you've had to crank up the gain so much on the channel that plays the VinylCarver. Very poor sound quality in my opinion. Go with the CD is what I say, you'll get both more tracks cheaper AND better sound quality.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

surly if its not real, why would you get pleasure from that. your only kidding yourself.

i understand the vinyl playing bit, i love playing the stuff.

but, i wouldn't want to think i was playing an original, when quiet obviously it isn't. :thumbsup:

its like wearing fake clothing, if its not a real ''whatever'', why wear it?

right, i'll go back to my real world, of rising costs, negative equity and cd's of records i can't afford :thumbup:

alan

Social source share

I haven't got any carvers but am going to get a couple done for dj purposes only stuff thats not been issued on single format and really only stuff I don't think is being played amywhere.

This is only the same as in the late 60s when I cut stuff of albums on EMI disc for dj purposes only I beleive these carvers are a lot better quality.

I wouldn't do it for personal use.

Regards Brian Phillips

Social source share

I think the sound on the 45s coming from VinylCarvers is WAY below par. Very low volume (even on tracks that are less than 2 minutes) and a thin sound that is too heavy on the mid-range frequencies. It's almost impossible to play a carver after a loudly pressed original 45 at a club without compromising the sound quality or getting feedback through the system because you've had to crank up the gain so much on the channel that plays the VinylCarver. Very poor sound quality in my opinion. Go with the CD is what I say, you'll get both more tracks cheaper AND better sound quality.

That's rubbish and they ought to have a word with you about those comments - the sound quality is usually better than the source and they are cut extremely loud - I've never had one that sounded worse than the source, which is usually a cd.

Social source share

surly if its not real, why would you get pleasure from that. your only kidding yourself.

i understand the vinyl playing bit, i love playing the stuff.

but, i wouldn't want to think i was playing an original, when quiet obviously it isn't. :unsure:

its like wearing fake clothing, if its not a real ''whatever'', why wear it?

right, i'll go back to my real world, of rising costs, negative equity and cd's of records i can't afford :lol:

alan

I don't care what label it's on, it could be on bloody Disco Demand as long as it played the track I wanted to hear, I'm not kidding myself about anything - labels mean nothing to me, and I've had more originals through my hands than a lot of people have had hot dinners so I do know what they look like...

Social source share

I don't care what label it's on, it could be on bloody Disco Demand as long as it played the track I wanted to hear, I'm not kidding myself about anything - labels mean nothing to me, and I've had more originals through my hands than a lot of people have had hot dinners so I do know what they look like...

thought you didn't like disco records :unsure:

Social source share

Guest bradcam

Another way is to just burn the track on CD at a higher rate and make an individual label for it from a scan of the vinyl, like a CD single. Great for having a wallet or small box and flicking through like 45s.

Social source share

============

may you be taken to the gates of hell and burn forever smiffy!!!

Social source share

Hmm, this seems to be the emotive topic on here, and you either seem to be for or against 'em. I don't have a problem with using them privately, and no I'm not kidding myself at all. Like everyone else on here I'm a vinylphile (if that's the right word :( ) and CD's don't do it for me. Just not the same thing at all. On the other hand I'm married with 2 kids and can't afford to splash out up to a grand or more on tunes I really want (alright the missus would de-knacker me) so I'll have 'em carved - I'm no DJ, would only play em at private do's or in my kitchen, but still get the sensory pleasure of that vinyl playing that tune.

As for royalties and copyright I'm not sure if the artists get a nice cut every time their tune gets played out at a night do they? Or anything at all if it's included on a new CD - they were proper shafted by most labels back in the day, would that have changed?

OVO is fine at proper all/nighters, s'what you pay your money for in a way, but don't tell me I'm doing any more harm owning a carver than I was when chawed anything else - or has no-one else on here ever been on the chaw? :lol:

It's all relative in the end, which is why it's such an emotive subject I s'pose - anyway, I'm off to beat the littl'un for nicking my chips at tea-time :unsure:

Social source share

That's rubbish and they ought to have a word with you about those comments - the sound quality is usually better than the source and they are cut extremely loud - I've never had one that sounded worse than the source, which is usually a cd.

It's not rubbish. I can only speak from my own experience, but the records I've had sent my way have been cut with very low volume, at about 50%-60% volume compared to an average 60s or early 70s release. I can't really use any of the carvers I have, the volume is too low.

Social source share

Never had one done...record all my 45s onto the computer and then to ipod. That way I can listen to them all the time and the ipod fits into my stereo system so it's not that often that I actually get the records out and put them on the deck. Saves wearing them out :lol: . If I don't have the original then CD or MP3 is just fine :unsure: .

But I now need to get a couple done as I've got a few unreleased acetates that I would like to play out on the rare occasions that I DJ but don't want to damage the acetates by overplaying them. Can anyone point me in the direction of a reliable place to get them done?

Cheers,

Adam.

Social source share

if you want one cut have one cut... but don't play it out and try to pass it as a real one, thats unfair to the dj that owns a real one...

and sorry as far as royalties goes... yeh we know whats right but...have you every done a Tape up for a mate, or done a CD for someone... or even down loaded a tune off soul source that you haven't got...

isn't there a cd swap thread some where, how we sorting out the royalties on all them CD's..

I don't agree with companys selling the stuff but knocking one up your self... we have all done it in one way or the other..

ever bought an album and only taped one track off it for the car!!!

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Was using vinyl carvers before they even had their website, cutting favourite tracks for my own use, 100% reliable, great quality discs...do go there!

hi pete,

not really in to carvers, but a few years ago i purchased a airtown test press, the vondells - hey girl --of you and the sound quality was superb . nige

Social source share

I personally aren't trying to pass anything off as anything, these are mine, I play them at home

not aimed at you, if you play them indoors thats the same as me playing the free CD i got at a do for being one of the first 50 in... I never gave that back and said have you paid royalties on this :unsure:

Social source share

I personally aren't trying to pass anything off as anything, these are mine, I play them at home

the guy previous, say he allegedly bought one of you...........

i quote ''not really in to carvers, but a few years ago i purchased a airtown test press, the vondells - hey girl --of you and the sound quality was superb . "

personal use or personal profit? :unsure:

not really bothered, just playing devil advocate :(, but he was happy with the quality, which backs up your claim of the quality issue :lol:

Social source share

if you want one cut have one cut... but don't play it out and try to pass it as a real one, thats unfair to the dj that owns a real one...

and sorry as far as royalties goes... yeh we know whats right but...have you every done a Tape up for a mate, or done a CD for someone... or even down loaded a tune off soul source that you haven't got...

isn't there a cd swap thread some where, how we sorting out the royalties on all them CD's..

I don't agree with companys selling the stuff but knocking one up your self... we have all done it in one way or the other..

That's right mischief - and as you've kept the receipt you take it back and buy sommet else :unsure:

Social source share

That's right mischief - and as you've kept the receipt you take it back and buy sommet else :(

i'd never do that :unsure:

should have done it with that Sam Sparrow she made me buy...

and I asked for Jack Sparrow by mistake in HMV :lol:

Social source share

Exactly what I got from the only job I did there. Quite unplayable. I strongly recommend that people get acetates and use a proper sound engineer in mastering if you can't do it good enough yourself. It is more expensive yes, but you can make them sound really good as opposed to the crap vinylcarvers.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

There are a number of companies on the internet who offer a vinyl cutting/carving service. You provide them with track via cd or mp3 and they will make you a 7" or 12" copy. Has anyone ever used any of these services? How did it work out?

I'm not sure whether I will ever use them but there are some tracks that are beyond my bank account that I would love to play at parties etc.

Your avin a laugh..........the only reason people want a carver is to dj with (£20 a time) if you ain't got the tune for your party get a cd

Social source share

the guy previous, say he allegedly bought one of you...........

i quote ''not really in to carvers, but a few years ago i purchased a airtown test press, the vondells - hey girl --of you and the sound quality was superb . "

personal use or personal profit? :unsure:

not really bothered, just playing devil advocate :( , but he was happy with the quality, which backs up your claim of the quality issue :lol:

An Airtown test pressing? Not off me. I did have a proper acetate of the Vondells with an Airtown label and I might have sold him that but not a carvers with a label stuck on as far as I know. And yeah, it would have been for profit, so what?

Social source share

Dont feel same,and you cant show em' your bell/nashville etc stamps can you eh ! :unsure:

Social source share

just a quick thought !! I really want a " Thats why I love you " but at the moment can not afford the original , a local DJ said really if i paid Steve callaway ( a friend of mine from the group who sang on lead) a agreeable fee between us i could get a carvers done and play it out to DJ with. my thoughts this would be cheating ! to me it would not be like owning an original , although Steve as said to me to do it with out a fee to honer his legacy as he knows i ve not pressed them to sell and make money.

Social source share

just a quick thought !! I really want a " Thats why I love you " but at the moment can not afford the original , a local DJ said really if i paid Steve callaway ( a friend of mine from the group who sang on lead) a agreeable fee between us i could get a carvers done and play it out to DJ with. my thoughts this would be cheating ! to me it would not be like owning an original , although Steve as said to me to do it with out a fee to honer his legacy as he knows i ve not pressed them to sell and make money.

What?

So in order to replicate the record on a carver, it would be OK to pay ONE of the artists an 'agreeable fee' and that would make it all OK?

What was your friend, the 'local DJ' thinking of?

Does your local DJ friend believe that Pete Smith has to find a group member (to bung a brown envelope to) everytime he gets a carver cut?

:rolleyes:

Social source share

I won't pay top dollar for a big sound there's no fun in that anyone with money can do that,(and i'm not skint)but finding some great album,cd only tracks and putting them on carvers as more appeal if nobody is playing them out like playing anything of quality thats not getting airplay in the venues.

As regards royalties the artist have got more chance via cd sales than rare vinyl sales.

Regards Brian

Social source share

What?

So in order to replicate the record on a carver, it would be OK to pay ONE of the artists an 'agreeable fee' and that would make it all OK?

What was your friend, the 'local DJ' thinking of?

Does your local DJ friend believe that Pete Smith has to find a group member (to bung a brown envelope to) everytime he gets a carver cut?

:rolleyes:

Sean I don't agree with the idea myself and just wonder what others would think on this thread , i Have not done it and I won't even though their is alt takes unissed on cds which would not be any diffrence to getting a carver of a Motown unissed track done.

Social source share

Sean I don't agree with the idea myself and just wonder what others would think on this thread , i Have not done it and I won't even though their is alt takes unissed on cds which would not be any diffrence to getting a carver of a Motown unissed track done.

I'm neither 'for it' or 'against it' mate.... I was just contemplating that your local DJ mate reckons that Pete (for example) should spend a large part of his life looking for an ex group member to bung, before he cuts the carver, to make it, somehow, legit.

Particularly as we're all (as someone alluded to earlier) copying stuff onto CD or tape (for personal use) on a regular basis!

The mind boggles!

:rolleyes::thumbup::shhh:

Social source share

I'm neither 'for it' or 'against it' mate.... I was just contemplating that your local DJ mate reckons that Pete (for example) should spend a large part of his life looking for an ex group member to bung, before he cuts the carver, to make it, somehow, legit.

Particularly as we're all (as someone alluded to earlier) copying stuff onto CD or tape (for personal use) on a regular basis!

The mind boggles!

:rolleyes::thumbup::shhh:

I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR SAYING MATE :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert