Customs Charges

Dave West

I recently bought a batch of records from the U.S. $68 dollars for 33 records,a real bargain. three weeks later a card fell on my mat stating I owe £14.66p to Customs dept. If the seller had put used 45's value $10 it wouldnt have been a problem, but I had to pay an extra 45% of the original price, so be warned and get the seller to put a very small value on the records or you'll get stung like I did.

At the same time another batch arrived, these had value $40 on and this was ok with customs. ??????????

Westy

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Random checks. I've had a parcel where the sender declared the value to be $850, got it without a problem. But every time I've ordered from Dusty Groove, I've been stung for VAT and import duty. Even on small value parcels. :lol:

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

i've had the same prob, but having said that got pack of 50 records and no prob so i think it's a random thing.it's up to the seller to put "used 45's" even as a favour and you should be ok. just got a right bargain,or so i thought! went to pay for record and guy charged $27 p+p for one record. even dick fookin turpin wore a mask!!!! :lol:

Social source share

Can't remember the exact figures but its something like anything above£18 merchandise/£30 gift is chargeable by customs.

They rarely do it, but when they do, they seem to have a purge.

It's over £18 or £36 as a gift. I got stung last week for an additional £13. :lol: GREEDY BARSTOOLS!!!

gary

Edited by gazman
Social source share

i've had the same prob, but having said that got pack of 50 records and no prob so i think it's a random thing.it's up to the seller to put "used 45's" even as a favour and you should be ok. just got a right bargain,or so i thought! went to pay for record and guy charged $27 p+p for one record. even dick fookin turpin wore a mask!!!! :lol:

:P I've bin lucky up to now and all the recs av bought so far av sed $7 or so as to what its worth. So avent had to pay a customs charge.

Suz

Social source share

Trouble is a lot of them won't....

I think its a Federal offence to dodge the tax in the U.S., so their arses are doing five pence, ten pence at the thought of getting into bother for tax avoidance.

ah yes, in that case, just hope for the best! :)

mind you, I've bought stuff from some US sellers and had them refuse to ship outside the USA. What's that all about? :D

Social source share

from a personal perspective, i,ve being buying a few years from many different states across the u.s and have never been charged ...the only thiings i,ve been charged duty on as been clothing shipments and that as to be levied on delievery.( and i accept that) last year i took delivery of an assignment and 5 weeks later i got an invoice for the duty,and i point blank refused to pay it ..stating it should have been levied at point of delivery,not 5 weeks later and that i,d see them in court...and when it was thrown out, i would be charging them for my expenses.e.t.c.......strangely i never heard from them again.

Social source share

Trouble is a lot of them won't....

I think its a Federal offence to dodge the tax in the U.S., so their arses are doing five pence, ten pence at the thought of getting into bother for tax avoidance.

It does not in any way harm the US seller to claim a low value (unless there is some sort of insurance claim involved). This is not "dodging tax", there are no US taxes on outgoing mail. For example, see the official ebay email quoted here:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...14165415AAXfRGL

It's just that you're not playing by the rules, and the only thing that can happen is that the foreign government (in this case, the UK) gets mad and eventually decides to penalize the ADDRESSEE (the person in the UK receiving the package).

Social source share

It does not in any way harm the US seller to claim a low value (unless there is some sort of insurance claim involved). This is not "dodging tax", there are no US taxes on outgoing mail. For example, see the official ebay email quoted here:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...14165415AAXfRGL

It's just that you're not playing by the rules, and the only thing that can happen is that the foreign government (in this case, the UK) gets mad and eventually decides to penalize the ADDRESSEE (the person in the UK receiving the package).

You know that, and I know that, but.....

there are still people who say "I will not declare a fraudulently low value so please do not ask" - and, as I said, people who will not sell to anyone outside the US because it's "too difficult"

Unfortunately, these are often - but of course not always - the people who have nice rare and cheap records!

Social source share

You know that, and I know that, but.....

there are still people who say "I will not declare a fraudulently low value so please do not ask" - and, as I said, people who will not sell to anyone outside the US because it's "too difficult"

Unfortunately, these are often - but of course not always - the people who have nice rare and cheap records!

I love those people, it keeps you guys from bidding and gets me records for cheaper

Social source share

I love those people, it keeps you guys from bidding and gets me records for cheaper

Unless, of course, I happened to have a friend with a US postal address... :)

Social source share

what happens if you dont pay , do they keep the record or return it to the seller?

Not sure to be honest....

if its returned they could send it as gift or different value etc

Some won't. Full stop.

or couldnt you do a paypal investigation as to item not recieved and get money back

That's totally unfair on the seller. It's not their fault that Customs have the item, and that you won't pay the charges. Why should they pay for your 'tightness'?

Social source share

I can live with the customs charge it's the bloody post office charge for collecting it, that pisses me off.

I was going to say the same thing, I think the post office "handling charge" is about £8 on top of the VAT? I wouldn't mind so much if if it was just the tax but a handling charge? - isn't that what they are supposed to do with post?

Regarding the customs form - it asks for value, I once tried to explain the difference between value and price to a US seller who refused to put "Used record $5" on a parcel but it didn't get me anywhere rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest loma 1

anything under £30 including postage shouldnt be stopped by customs . saying its a gift wont work any more . i sell bicycle parts from the U S and it seems that customs just think of a number when chargin for things . i sold a set of wheels for £125 and they charged £65 , i sold a set of wheels for £ 300 and they only charged £50 . so mutch for free trading eh

Social source share

just received a copy of Apollas "mr creator" from the states (my old copy was Knackered) only paid $65 inc postage, seller marked value at $5 so some of them are good.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert