Help Please - Sam & Dave / Prince Buster

Quinvy

I'm looking to get a copy of Sam & Dave - Sooth me, and Prince Buster - Al Capone. Were these two UK only releases? and how do I tell the original release?

I seem to remember being told that the U.S. release of Sooth Me was live?

Any help appreciated, and anyone want to sell me either or both, would be fantastic... :lol:

Phil.

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm looking to get a copy of Sam & Dave - Sooth me, and Prince Buster - Al Capone. Were these two UK only releases? and how do I tell the original release?

Any help appreciated, and anyone want to sell me either or both, would be fantastic... :lol:

Phil.

Sam and Dave came out in the Uk on blue Stax in the 60's i bought one :)

Social source share

Phil.

Yes, the US Issue of "Soothe Me" was recorded live in Paris (1967). The studio version was on the 'Double Dynamite' LP in 66.

The UK 45 is the LP studio cut (as far as I can tell with my one good ear!) :) .

The Al Capone / One Step Beyond has been released at least three times in the UK on Blue Beat

The original release is Blue with Silver type in a Radius across the top. The second was Light Green with similar typeface and the third was Blue with Silver type horizontal (pretty sure that was the order they were released in.

Classic double sider - as is the Sam & Dave 45 which has the wicked "Can't Stand Up For Falling Down" on the flip!

Sean

Social source share

Yes, the US Issue of "Soothe Me" was recorded live in Paris (1967). The studio version was on the 'Double Dynamite' LP in 66.

The UK 45 is the LP studio cut (as far as I can tell with my one good ear!) :g: .

The Al Capone / One Step Beyond has been released at least three times in the UK on Blue Beat

The original release is Blue with Silver type in a Radius across the top. The second was Light Green with similar typeface and the third was Blue with Silver type horizontal (pretty sure that was the order they were released in.

Classic double sider - as is the Sam & Dave 45 which has the wicked "Can't Stand Up For Falling Down" on the flip!

Sean

Many thanks to all for the info...Sean, I bow my head in awe of your knowledge mate.... :D

Phil.

Social source share

Many thanks to all for the info...Sean, I bow my head in awe of your knowledge mate.... :D

Phil.

You're very welcome Phil.

My old Dad used to say 'It's not enough to know - you've got to know that you know'

Guess it meant I should keep quiet 'til I knew for sure.... so I hope I'm right with what I've told you...

...(but I'm pretty sure I am) :D

Cheers

:g:

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Any help appreciated, and anyone want to sell me either or both, would be fantastic... :thumbsup:

Phil.

If you can find a Jamaican copy of Al Capone (on Prince Buster - Voice Of The People!) is has a great ska version of "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" (not called that, but I'm at work and the records at home and my memory's not what it once was...) by the Charmers on the flip. All pressings of the UK one have "One Step Beyond" on the flip, of course.

Sean got it slightly wrong - "Blue Radial" and "Blue Horizontal" were both being pressed simultaneously, when the record was in the UK Top 30 ("Blue Radial" comes first). The "Green Radial" dates from the early 70s.

Despite what Toad says I'm pretty sure that "Al Capone" was not released in the USA on RCA or any other label. "Ten Commandments Of Man" was, though - you can get that on Phillips.

Social source share

Sean got it slightly wrong - "Blue Radial" and "Blue Horizontal" were both being pressed simultaneously, when the record was in the UK Top 30 ("Blue Radial" comes first). The "Green Radial" dates from the early 70s.

Yeh, reckon that's right, Tony, on reflection. The "Blue Horizontal" does look quite dated. The light green copy was definately early 70's, as you say, so did come later.

See... 'It's not enough to know - you've got to know that you know'

Oh... and always let your yeh be yeh!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

If you can find a Jamaican copy of Al Capone (on Prince Buster - Voice Of The People!) is has a great ska version of "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" (not called that, but I'm at work and the records at home and my memory's not what it once was...) by the Charmers on the flip. All pressings of the UK one have "One Step Beyond" on the flip, of course.

Despite what Toad says I'm pretty sure that "Al Capone" was not released in the USA on RCA or any other label. "Ten Commandments Of Man" was, though - you can get that on Phillips.

Think it was actually called 'Yeah, Yeah, Yeah' (...as in Marvin singing..."and I say yeah, yeah, yeah") and came out as the flip on another UK Blue Beat 45 (Eric Morris - 'The Greatest' ...I think).

100% right about the straight Blue Beat lettering on the 'first' UK Al Capone release. They used it again on Buster's 'Shanty Town' 45. The 70's UK re-presses came in about 3 different colours, I've seen light blue, green & buff colours. :yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've not seen Prince Buster on RCA either. Only USA PB releases Ive seen are the Philips one, and "Wash Wash" released on Atlantic.

Not forgetting "Everybody Ska"/"Thirty Pieces Of Silver" on Amy (as released here on Stateside and Blue Beat).

The RCA 45 Toad might have been thinking about is "Ten Commandments From Woman To Man" by Prince and Princess Buster - also released on King.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Think it was actually called 'Yeah, Yeah, Yeah' (...as in Marvin singing..."and I say yeah, yeah, yeah") and came out as the flip on another UK Blue Beat 45 (Eric Morris - 'The Greatest' ...I think).

:thumbup:

Right on both counts...I think :thumbsup: ...and definitely right about the Charmers title. And as a certain Mr. Smith of this parish once pointed out to me, YYY actually has the same intro as Tommy Navarro's "I Cried My Life Away"!

Social source share

Not forgetting "Everybody Ska"/"Thirty Pieces Of Silver" on Amy (as released here on Stateside and Blue Beat).

The RCA 45 Toad might have been thinking about is "Ten Commandments From Woman To Man" by Prince and Princess Buster - also released on King.

Piece of information for Buster collectors....'Thirty Pieces Of Silver' on the Blue Beat release is a different cut than the Stateside release. Buster re-cut for Stateside using the name 'Judas Charmers' (as opposed to just 'Judas' on Blue Beat) as a swipe at fellow producer Llyod Charmers.

Also released on pama's Unity label.

Social source share

Sold my copies a couple of years back.

Blue_Beat_BB324a_n.gifBlue_Beat_BB324a_.gif

Blue_Beat_BB324a_r.gif-This One re-issue from the late 60's / Early 70's as well as the Green Label

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

100% right about the straight Blue Beat lettering on the 'first' UK Al Capone release. They used it again on Buster's 'Shanty Town' 45. The 70's UK re-presses came in about 3 different colours, I've seen light blue, green & buff colours. :thumbsup:

This one a Re-Issue from late 60's / Early 70's.

Blue_Beat_BB334a.gif

Once again, I sold this a couple of years back.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Piece of information for Buster collectors....'Thirty Pieces Of Silver' on the Blue Beat release is a different cut than the Stateside release. Buster re-cut for Stateside using the name 'Judas Charmers' (as opposed to just 'Judas' on Blue Beat) as a swipe at fellow producer Llyod Charmers.

Also released on pama's Unity label.

I've "only" got it on Ja. Wildbells - been years since I've played it, but I seem to recall that it's the "Judas Charmers" version. To be a bit pedantic about what you say, Charmers wasn't actually producing records, yet, when Buster pointed the finger at him in "Thirty Pieces" - it was more a retort to the Charmers duo going off and recording for a rival producer (Coxsone Dodd, I presume).

The Unity issue was legit, BTW - Pama licensed it from the UK office of Bell Records, along with all the soul things that came out on the main Pama logo. I work not 20 feet away from the man who approved all those deals...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

I've "only" got it on Ja. Wildbells - been years since I've played it, but I seem to recall that it's the "Judas Charmers" version. To be a bit pedantic about what you say, Charmers wasn't actually producing records, yet, when Buster pointed the finger at him in "Thirty Pieces" - it was more a retort to the Charmers duo going off and recording for a rival producer (Coxsone Dodd, I presume).

The Unity issue was legit, BTW - Pama licensed it from the UK office of Bell Records, along with all the soul things that came out on the main Pama logo. I work not 20 feet away from the man who approved all those deals...

You're right Tony, same thing happened with Buster and Derrick Morgan after Morgan started recording for Beverley's (ran by a Chinese guy? Can't think of his name now but it led Buster to call Morgan a 'Black Head Chinaman' :thumbup: ) . Their running battle during the mid-sixties is well known...Buster slagging off Morgan on his Blue Beat output and Morgan doing the same on Island. A lot of it was tongue in cheek though I'm sure.

I have seen your name mentioned a few times Tony so not surprised you know all about the dealings re- Pama etc....nice one! :(

Social source share

Blue_Beat_BB324a_n.gifIs this the original first press then?

100% with that one quinvy.

Ken, a lot of original Blue Beat 45's (especially this one as it sold bucket loads) come in different shades of blue, some are so dark they look black and I've got some that are almost sky blue.

Oh, and thanks Pikeys dog...Leslie Kong, that's the guy!

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

• 10 months later...

100% with that one quinvy.

Ken, a lot of original Blue Beat 45's (especially this one as it sold bucket loads) come in different shades of blue, some are so dark they look black and I've got some that are almost sky blue.

Oh, and thanks Pikeys dog...Leslie Kong, that's the guy!

Here's me blue one

post-1986-12503306696623.jpg

post-1986-12503306696623.jpg

Social source share

The UK 45 is the LP studio cut (as far as I can tell with my one good ear!) :thumbup: .

Sean

Sean, you know this is usually where I chime in with my worthless info on Aussie label releases .... !

Sam & Dave : Soothe Me / Can't Stand Up For Falling Down was also released on a nice looking Aussie Green & White Atlantic 45, release number AK 1874 .

Funnily though I have a sneaking suspicion that they stuck the studio version of Soothe Me on the Aussie one, I'll have to dig my copy out and report back to you !

Social source share

Yeh, reckon that's right, Tony, on reflection. The "Blue Horizontal" does look quite dated. The light green copy was definately early 70's, as you say, so did come later.

See... 'It's not enough to know - you've got to know that you know'

Oh... and always let your yeh be yeh!

:thumbup:

Sean

Not that early 70's really, I bought it in 1972 on a white Blue Beat label and the green one came after that, they constantly kept repressing it on all sorts of colours, mustard, pink, goodness knows what else

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!