Hamburg Weekender

Second one and it just gets better.

Friday was much better attended than the first and the modern room was great on both nights. The saturday alldayer was the perfect place to chill while listening to some cool music and the boat trip turn out to be better than I expected, concidering the weather. Loved the 4000 police they had put into the city centre friday to welcome us, especially the 100 roit police standing outside our hotel, 3rd Oct (The Wall coming down celebration, Hamburg style).

The main room was banging all weekend long and there was a warm welcome for Butch on his first re-turn to the city in a good few years. Now Roddy :lol: , a force of nature that had the locals smiling all weekend long. All round a killer weekend, one of europe's best, well done Ralf, Jan and the boys.

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Bit's I liked.....

Lars modern soul sets, so many great new tunes I now have to find. Marc Forrest's Saturday set was outstanding as was Butch's, Esther Grant was great to hear again in a big venue and the floor loved it.

The modern room on saturday in the back room was a great change from last year and worked so well.

Our room at 'The Rock n' Roll Hotel', this year we had the 'Punk Deluxe' room.

Roddy's mohair suit on saturday, nice bit of smutter.

The warm welcome from everyone there.

So many young people just up for a good time.

The guys letting me do a hour and a half set on the boat.

Second one and it just gets better. Friday was much better attended than the first and the modern room was great on both nights. The saturday alldayer was the perfect place to chill while listening to some cool music and the boat trip turn out to be better than I expected, concidering the weather. Loved the 4000 police they had put into the city centre friday to welcome us, especially the 100 roit police standing outside our hotel, 3rd Oct (The Wall coming down celebration, Hamberg style). The main room was banging all weekend long and there was a warm welcome for Butch on his first re-turn to the city in a good few years. Now Roddy :ohmy: , a force of nature that had the locals smiling all weekend long. All round a killer weekend, one of europe's best, well done Ralph, Jan and the boys.

Hi Daphe,

thanks for the kind words.

btw: the name of the big city up north you`d DJ`ed two years in a row is HambUrg (no mountain/berg in sight from my window) and the name of the fat man who paid you on sunday morning is RalF not Ralph :lol: .

Bye

Ralf

Stunning weekender!

Superb DJ- Lineup, brilliant Venue (although the Modern Room was kind of a sauna Saturday :ohmy: ), terrific tunes, nice people...

Thank you very much for making this happen. Ba and me had a great time.

Marc´s set on Saturday was stunning! He rushed from one room to the other... but also the other DJs kept the dancing crowd busy.

Looking forward to 2009... But before I hope to see some of you guys in Nuernberg, Bamberg (do not miss it!)...

Thank you very much again for this terrific weekend!

Keep the faith!

Ollo

Its hard to top what was in the year before already a fantastic weekender but they (Ralf and Jan) did manage to do so.

Well done "meine Herren" !

Especially well done if you think about the two Soul Allnighters (well, one Allnighter and one Soulnight :lol: ) they had on in Hamburg just the night before mellow.gif:wave: . Don`t even want to try to imagine all the stress and "fear" I would have had as a promoter in that case...

Just like Dave says (..and sorry again mate... :yes: ), friday night I think was even a better start then last year, already well crowded at 11pm, one hr after doors had opened! Fantastic idea that worked well to change rooms for the R&B and Modern locations, saturday the blast everybody had expected and hoped for I think. Great Alldayer just like Dave already said, well organized by Tolbert! The sunday boat trip despite the shite weather again a brill experience. Simply love it. And finally Matu gave it the well deserved "grand style" finish dj-wise at the Komet on sunday night. The weekend ended for me at about 1 am on monday morning :lol:

Not heard one bad song the whole weekend, honestly not. And its seldom I can honestly say so. So that hopefully will speak for itself. All the DJ`s did a great job IMHO. Especially nice to have met once again so many lovely faces from all over Germany and Europe. I think there were even more travellers around this time then last year ? Never experienced so many Berlin Soulies outside Berlin for example. well, that is a change for good !

Thanks for everything and roll on Hamburg 2009 :thumbsup: !

Marc

nuff said! ...actually...but there are the not to be missed words of praise and thanks.....

indeed a very nice weekend we had in probably the greatest city of germany. only great music the whole weekend! some great new people met and lots of good old friends. fantastic organised, a big program for the weekend and no breaks to feel bored with a very nice boat trip through the water part of the town (1st time for me). however, a really awesome weekend with no tear spending for getting quicker older as on usual weekends. many many thanks to the organizer...ladies, that was once more a great job! many many thanks as well to our hosts, friends and favorite record dealers simone, thorsten and jelso from www.puresoul.de...lots of kisses from here for giving us the feeling to be home. many thanks to all dj´s for filling the breaks between the beers :) with such a high quality level of soul music.

see you next year again in hamburg, me and anne

Was told that the number of UK travellers was significantly lower compared to the last one. Anyone confirm? Going by what had been posted on here I thought it would be like a brit invasion :)

I met and spoke with 14 individuals...not counting the DJ`s of course. Don`t know how many more where there but I bet some more then just the 14 I knew personally...

Marc

Finally recovered somewhat. Thanks to all organisers and djs for a very enjoyable weekend with lots of excellent music and great company (and free drinks...) :lol:

I was especially impressed with the sets from Lars, whom I've never heard dj before. Great stuff!

Also really enjoyed the selections by Stefan and Markus in the modern room.

Very nice seeing the UK bunch again, plus the German soul crowd of course. Hope it won't be too long till next time.

What a cracking weekend!!!

Thanks to Ralf (or Ralph? :huh: ) and Jan, to all the djs (a special mention to Marc... besides his great musical taste, his enthusiasm behind the decks is something rare!), to the Aachen Football & Soul Crew

(thanks for the t-shirt!!!!), and to all my old and new friends I've met!

Last but not least to my soulmate Oliver :( , who was so patient with me on thursday evening, when I was intentioned to skip the trip because of my "Holly Golightly's Mean Reds" :D

Well done guys, see you next year!! (but this time I will take 15 degrees from Italy!!! laugh.gif )

ciao,

Barbara

p.s. Next stop of my SoulTrain: N¼rnberg!!! :lol:

That´s right. Marc was smiling all the time and you could see that he enjoyed himself a lot while playing records. :rolleyes:

Besides that I did not hear one single record I did not like. Well done guys. Superb DJ Line up!

Ollo = patient? :) That was a good one my love. I´m very glad that you made it to Hamburg... :yes:

Guest stromberg

what a great weekend, finally recovered, but, boy, it took some time.

I think it lived up to the high expectations, great music, great people and ahem, great beer. Lots of people through the door, so everyone's happy, I guess.

I had expected to see a few more british people (around 25 were there?!), but it didn't spoil the fun.

I hope birthday boy Michael didn't lose the nice present he got :thumbsup:

I had a great time and I saw many smiling faces, so I think I wasn't the only one.

Best,

Stefan

Was told that the number of UK travellers was significantly lower compared to the last one. Anyone confirm? Going by what had been posted on here I thought it would be like a brit invasion :thumbsup:

I think over all the number of UK visitors was about the same as last year and overall numbers were definatly up.

I wanna thank you all for..... :lol: ...coming...dancing...laughing....drinking

special thanks

1. to Dave who saved my life with 4 packs of french fries on sunday tongue.gif

2. to Marc who made me smile the whole weekend :yes:

3. to Matu who played one of the best sets at the komet.....on sunday night...yes on sunday night :thumbsup:

4. to Tolbert who made the greatest alldayer of all the times :g:

5. to Roddy for beeing Roddy

6. to Ralf for.....you know it!!!!!!! :lol:

7. to 9876. is coming in the next few days.

I thought after sleepnig 3days and nights I feel not so emotional but.... :g: IT WAS THE BEST WEEKEND I'VE EVER HAD......THANKS

post-7805-1223551240_thumb.jpg

post-7805-1223551311_thumb.jpg

post-7805-1223551407_thumb.jpg

Had a fantastic time thanks guys all the Scots had a great time !

Loved the whole event, the enthusiastic crowds in all the rooms are still bringing a smile to my face.

Suedeheads dancing to modern

Rockers dancing to R n B

Confirmned modern fans dancing to oldies

Oldies people dancing to newies

No politics just smiles and laughs.

Ralf and Jan thanks for the cider and the good times.

(ps on sunday i stopped drinking to look after one of our party (Melv) who got so drunk he fell asleep i was deciding what to drink ralf suggested a fruitbased drink moddled on red bull i had three and in the morning it is truely the worst i have ever felt in my life...so its alchohol only in future)

Edited by Roddy
Guest Spooky

Fantastic crowd, thanks to Ralf, Kerstin and Jan. Surprised the cider lasted so long. :thumbsup: Are you all converted from beer yet ?

Roddy was like Tigger on Monday travelling back to Scotland after the Red Bull on Sunday night. We ALL didn't look pretty.....

Till next time....

Love to all

Katherine xxxx

Finally recovered somewhat. Thanks to all organisers and djs for a very enjoyable weekend with lots of excellent music and great company (and free drinks...) :D I was especially impressed with the sets from Lars, whom I've never heard dj before. Great stuff! Also really enjoyed the selections by Stefan and Markus in the modern room. Very nice seeing the UK bunch again, plus the German soul crowd of course. Hope it won't be too long till next time.

Thanks. I enjoyed your Y2K set in the R`n`B room...or wasn`t it you behind the decks? :lol:

Edited by Ralf Mehnert

(ps on sunday i stopped drinking to look after one of our party (Melv) who got so drunk he fell asleep i was deciding what to drink ralf suggested a fruitbased drink moddled on red bull i had three and in the morning it is truely the worst i have ever felt in my life...so its alchohol only in future)

Roddy,

it was just MATE TEA. Like I told you...it works really big style. Next time you have to try 6 bottles and a Wodka...you will have the shakin`-time of your life.

Fantastic crowd, thanks to Ralf, Kerstin and Jan. Surprised the cider lasted so long. :lol: Are you all converted from beer yet ? Roddy was like Tigger on Monday travelling back to Scotland after the Red Bull on Sunday night. We ALL didn't look pretty..... Till next time.... Love to all Katherine xxxx

Thanks Love,

you`re always more than welcome.

Really hope Kerstin and me make Edinburgh early next year.

R

Thanks. I enjoyed your Y2K set in the R`n`B room...or wasn`t it you behind the decks? :lol:

I thought we'd been over this before Ralf..I don't play Y2K! :ohmy:

Although I wasn't djing at all, I admit I spent a good few hours lurking around the decks with a notepad. :D

I wanna thank you all for..... :lol: ...coming...dancing...laughing....drinking

special thanks

1. to Dave who saved my life with 4 packs of french fries on sunday :lol:

2. to Marc who made me smile the whole weekend :lol:

3. to Matu who played one of the best sets at the komet.....on sunday night...yes on sunday night :lol:

4. to Tolbert who made the greatest alldayer of all the times :D

5. to Roddy for beeing Roddy

6. to Ralf for.....you know it!!!!!!! :ohmy:

7. to 9876. is coming in the next few days.

I thought after sleepnig 3days and nights I feel not so emotional but.... :P IT WAS THE BEST WEEKEND I'VE EVER HAD......THANKS

Apropos Photos...what happened to the gazillion pictures from the man who discovered the advantages of the digi camera? Will we be able to see some of them?

Jan, you and Ralf did a fab job, i said it before, but I have to repeat myself on this occasion. Also Mr. Tolbert ( Der einzige event den ich kenne bei dem Saecke auf Saecken lagen... biggrin.gif ), Kerstin who designed the bagdes etc... :)

M.

6 of us travelled from Derby and got to say was uncertain whether it would live up to last years fantastic weekender, with all the fun of Messers Rimmer and Weston.

I needn't have worried at all, if anything it was better. I can't single any one DJ out as it would be unfair, suffice to say that I never heard a bad set all weekend. The quality of music played at the 2 allnighters and the alldayer were top notch.

Met up with lots of old friends and made plenty of new ones, you won't find a friendlier event.

So would just like to say a big thank you to Ralf, Jan, and everyone else who gave us such a great weekend.

Mark and Liz

oh no the flashbacks have startedthank u 2 ralph kirstin for dinner on sat stefan still got birthday gift but cant rem much about sun  dont know how i got back 2 hotel :unsure: roddy running about hamburg mon like a headless chicken tongue.gif kat kicking the bishop up the arse roddy naked apart from parka in bar with myself and dave  on the 103big thank u 2 everyone for makeing it one of the best weekends ever :Dbutch for drinking the cider

Edited by nz soul

If anyone has a spare weekender patch i would be grateful as I appear to have lost mine.

Regards running around Hamburg like a headless chicken Mr NZ I would refer you to the Beastie Boys No sleep till Brooklyn or in your case bedtime (i have the photos and the t-shirts will be available for next years weekender.) and earlier in Scotland.

Option one Melv asleep sitting up

Option two Melv asleep on the floor of the boat

Here is a list of what I played over the weekend

Main Room

Betty Lloyd-I'm catching on (Alternate Version)Bsc Test Pressing

Chuck Cockerham-Have I the right-Mala

Little Royal-Don't want nobody-Tri Us

Holidays-Without your sweet love-c/u

Dewey Jeffries-When no one cared-Gary-Dew

Entertainers-Jerk is catching-Studio Disc

Willie White-Nobody likes me-Gold Soul

Houston Outlaws-Save the world-c/u

Rufus Wood-Before 2001-Espanola

Charles Mintz-Running back-Up look

Mongo Santamaria-We got latin soul-Columbia

Tokays-Baby, baby, baby-Brute

Little Archie-All I have to do-Dial

Sir Joe-If you give up your love-Ru Jac

Jimmy Church-Thinking about the good times-Peachtree

Adams Apples-Don't take it out on this world-Brunswick

Earnest King-You gonna miss me-LK

World Column-So is the sun-Tower

Rotations-When she slowly slips away-Roxanne

8th Avenue Band-The whole thing-Columbia

Masquaders-That's the same thing-Soultown

Salvadors-Stick by me baby-Wise World

Jimmie Raye-Philly dog round the world-KKC

Billy Kennedy-Sweet things-Thelma

Lakesiders-Hope we have-c/u

Accents-Who you gonna love-Onederful

Delrays Incorporated-Destination un-known-Tampete

Superlatives-Ain't I black enough for ya-c/u

Maxine Crayton-Don't take your love-Steeltown

Arthur Prysock-If I was a boy-Studio Disc

Martells-Where can my baby be-A La Carte

Rosco and Friends-Broadway sissy-Tec

Del-Larks-Job opening-Queen City

Detroit Executive-Cool off (Tribute to Richard)-Test Pressing

Crow-Your autumn of tomorrow-Inner Ear

Chosen Few-Birth of a playboy-Canyon

Major Harris-Call me tomorrow-Okeh

Jimmy Reed Jr-I an't going no where-Mercury

Moments-You said-Deep

Temptones-Girl I love you-Arctic

Modern Room

Florence Trapp-Love came into my life-You and I

Hiroshima-Never ever-Arista

Vernon Burch and the Peoples Band-Red People-c/u

Ron Flood & Sundown-Tell me-Scorpio

Bill Brandon-Streets got my lady-Piedmont

Timeless Legend-I was born to love you-Dawn Lite

Carl Davis & The Chi Sound Orch-Windy city-Chi Sound

Shellshock-K Jee-Sony

Angie Stone-Whis I didn't miss you-J

Gospel Funk-Tion-People come together-c/u

Young Divines-Ain't that sharp-Note

Anthony White-Hey baby-PIR

Eddie Billips-Shake of that dream-Gar Pax

Reo Lane-Give me your love-Bren

Freedom-High on you-Freedom

24 Karat Gold-What does the future hold-Desert Bone

Stevie Wonder Project-Choose the one-c/u

Al Mason-Good lovin-Fynal Vynal

Merger-You pick me up-MGR

4 Sonics-If it wasn't for my baby (Alternate Version)-Studio Disc

Cheryl Berdell-Giving it all to you-EMT

Caviar-Never stop loving you-Survivor

Jewel-Paradise-Jewel Productions

Boat Trip

(Many of the above plus...)

Sy Hightower-I know you're leaving me-Carmen

Richard Popcorn Wylie-How did I loose you-ABC

C J Surge-Be my love-Boston Heights

Bottom & Company-Gonna find a true life-Motown

Billy Taylor Trio-I whish I knew how it would feel to be free-Tower

James Walsh Gypsy Band-Cuz it's you girl-RCA

Little Reuben-In the nameof loneliness-NR

Four Voices-Summer love-Studio Disc

Jobell & the Orchestra De Salsa-Never gonna let you go-JAN

Classic Sullivans-Shame, shame, shame-Master key

Soul Bos. Inc-Pyramid-Goldn Eye

Guitar Ray-You're gonna wreck my life-Shagg

Lonnie Hill-Galveston bay-10

Charles Mintz-Lucky guy-Up Look

Houston Outlaws-Ain't no telling-Westbound

Edited by Dave Thorley

My Alldayer Playlist:

Set One:

Johnnie Taylor: It don't pay to get up in the morning (Stax Lp)

Harry Ray: Next time that I see you (Sugar Hill)

Richard Caiton: I feel love girl in your eyes (Caiburt)

Family: Feeling what you feel (LCR)

Bassie Banks: Don't you worry baby...(Quality)

Basic Black & Pearl: There'll come a time...(Polydor)

Wes Black: I feel good, feeling good (Highland)

Tony Aiken&Future 2000: Good things (Kimsha Lp)

Quinn Harris: I'll always love you ((M.L.E.)

Curtis & The Brothers: You make everything better (Bell)

The Rising Sun: Miami Bump (SRI)

Set Two:

Sir Henry Ivy: He left you standing there (Future Dimension)

Touch: You & Me (Brunswick)

Flame N King& The Bold Ones: Ho Happy Day (N.Y.C.S.)

Walter Jackson: Let me come back (Brunswick)

Bobby Foster: If you really need a friend (Sound Plus)

Billy Jones: I'll keep holding on (Zafiro Lp)

Ohio Players: Love slips thru my fingers (Trip Lp)

Cheryl Wiliams: Everybody's happy but me (Bengee)

David Ruffin: What you gave me girl (Motown Lp)

The Rising Sun: One night affair (Suncut)

Custers Last Band: I couldn't last a day without your love (Golden Chariot)

King Tutt: You've got me so hung up (Fun City)

:D

Edited by Tolbert
Guest Fabsoul69

Haha, the Curtis & The Brothers-45 is gonna be a german exclusive - i know 3 other german guys (including me) spinning this great record...

My Alldayer Playlist:

Set One:

Johnnie Taylor: It don't pay to get up in the morning (Stax Lp)

Harry Ray: Next time that I see you (Sugar Hill)

Richard Caiton: I feel love girl in your eyes (Caiburt)

Family: Feeling what you feel (LCR)

Bassie Banks: Don't you worry baby...(Quality)

Basic Black & Pearl: There'll come a time...(Polydor)

Wes Black: I feel good, feeling good (Highland)

Tony Aiken&Future 2000: Good things (Kimsha Lp)

Quinn Harris: I'll always love you ((M.L.E.)

Curtis & The Brothers: You make everything better (Bell)

The Rising Sun: Miami Bump (SRI)

Set Two:

Sir Henry Ivy: He left you standing there (Future Dimension)

Touch: You & Me (Brunswick)

Flame N King& The Bold Ones: Ho Happy Day (N.Y.C.S.)

Walter Jackson: Let me come back (Brunswick)

Bobby Foster: If you really need a friend (Sound Plus)

Billy Jones: I'll keep holding on (Zafiro Lp)

Ohio Players: Love slips thru my fingers (Trip Lp)

Cheryl Wiliams: Everybody's happy but me (Bengee)

David Ruffin: What you gave me girl (Motown Lp)

The Rising Sun: One night affair (Suncut)

Custers Last Band: I couldn't last a day without your love (Golden Chariot)

King Tutt: You've got me so hung up (Fun City)

biggrin.gif

Edited by Fabsoul69

6 of us travelled from Derby and got to say was uncertain whether it would live up to last years fantastic weekender, with all the fun of Messers Rimmer and Weston.

I needn't have worried at all, if anything it was better. I can't single any one DJ out as it would be unfair, suffice to say that I never heard a bad set all weekend. The quality of music played at the 2 allnighters and the alldayer were top notch.

Met up with lots of old friends and made plenty of new ones, you won't find a friendlier event.

So would just like to say a big thank you to Ralf, Jan, and everyone else who gave us such a great weekend.

Mark and Liz

Hello Mark and Liz,

thanks for the nice words. Hope the couple (sorry, forget their names...) you bring over first time enjoyed it as well.

Are you going to Berlin in november for the Hip City with Kitch behind the decks? Would be great to meet you there again. We`ll go for sure...

All the best from rainy Hamburg

R

Source Advert