The Fantastic Glenrothes Ym Allnighters

Dennisoul

After the Allanton/ Shotts thread, I think it`s essential that the magical mayhem all nighters at the Glenrothes YM in Fife are given a thread too.

Especially since Alan Walls one of the promoters is on Soulsource now, Alans brother Steve was the other promoter.

The Glenrothes YM was my first allnighter, cant remember what month..perhaps October, definitely 1984 though. Must have run for at least 3 years, Mr Walls will remember.

Across the board music, as far as I remember, but edging more towards new and under played 60s/70s.

The Atmosphere at Times was absolute F**kin Mahem...!!!!

When Mick Vickers...On The Brink.. was played it was absolute carnage, women and children thrown out the way to get to the dance floor...and as normal, absolutely no space on the dance floor.....so....onto the tables people would climb. I also remember Robin Salter playing Larry Wedgeworth..".No More Games" as a first time out and the place erupted, so much so that when Alan was on the decks later, he either just bought Robins copy or borrowed it , played it again, and the f**kin roof came off!!!

The Guys that played there, as well as Alan himself as far as I can remember...Spike, Brian Welsh, Mark Linton, Keith Whitson , Jock O Connor, Jim Tennent, Colin Law, Zander, Robin Salter, Pete Mckernan, Keb Darge, Jim Winseora and Pat Brady, Guy Hennigan. There were more I`m sure but canny think off hand. Even got a go myself when spike went on holiday one month, thanks Al and Steve!!

One of the biggest surprises was seeing Jock O`Connor there, or perhaps it was a bigger surprise for Jock seeing me there, as young 16 year old. I`d known Jock all my life, since I was a toddler in fact, he just lived over the road from me. A huge but great surprise, and from then on Jock kept me right on all things soul with his superior knowledge, cheers Jock!

Thanks Alan and Steve for helping make a lot of great memories.

Andy Dennison

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest micky p

Yeee..f**kin...ha..!!!!! am Away to dance on the livin room table.

Spot on Chris :wicked:

glenrothes eh what a nighter,plenty of duramine,ionamine,and loads of mad jocks ! lol i loved the place,what i can remember lol micky p wallsend

Social source share

Good call Andy!

Glenrothes YMCA was a tremendous venue and crowd. The Walls brothers did a masterful job at running the venue and the sounds were knock out. I remember the Larry Wedgeworth 'incident' as if it were yesterday!

Full to the brim with great characters, the place had an electric atmosphere, which was almost 'Wild West' at times. Picked up some great tunes there as well, Larry Davis, Frank Foster etc.

SOOOOOOOOO many great memories.

Come on Alan time for a YMCA re-union!!!

gary

Social source share

Blimey, this one's caught me on the hop! Andrew, young man, you are full of surprises! :yes:

Right, off the top of my head, things that immediately spring to mind:

- Tam Galloway and The Table Top Dancers

- a hearse pulling up and around a dozen Aberdeen boys spilling out, Anthill Mob style

- the crap decks we had to put up with (it was hard enough persuading a working mobile jock to hire us his equipment and not him, there was no way we'd get anything decent)

- the 'dry' night ( :lol::yes::D )

- the game of 73-a-side footie in the car park next day, careering around the grass like one big herd of 'phet crazed Soul Wildebeests. Took 20 minutes before we realised the ball had long since been trampled into the ground

- Dave Thorley's wee girl playing on a rocking horse on the stage as Dad did the business

- George Sharp playing Larry Clinton - She's Wanted: the one and only time I've heard it played out (I know, bizarre!)

- sitting in the bog, overhearing some locals complain about "those Walls brothers putting on all those English dj's to impress their English pals". Ooooh, meeooow! laugh.gif

- Guy, just back from one of his first trips to the States, screwing us into the ground for his fee. He settled on £120, while Keb - who had dragged himself out of his influenza death bed to make it 'home' to Scotland - took all of £14!

- that man Guy again, advising me that "some sneaky bugger is taping my set" as he peeled back the DJ line up sheet from the facia of the decks, to reveal a jack socket attached to a cable which winded it's way under the decks and into a portable cassette recorder, in 'record' mode, hidden from sight by strategically placed furnishings...ahem! :yes:

I'll try to think of more, but as I may need counselling after the Celts visit to Old Trafford tonight, don't hold your breath!

Social source share

Blimey, this one's caught me on the hop! Andrew, young man, you are full of surprises! :lol:

- a hearse pulling up and around a dozen Aberdeen boys spilling out, Anthill Mob style

- the crap decks we had to put up with (it was hard enough persuading a working mobile jock to hire us his equipment and not him, there was no way we'd get anything decent)

- the 'dry' night ( :ohmy:angry.gif:sleep3: )

- the game of 73-a-side footie in the car park next day, careering around the grass like one big herd of 'phet crazed Soul Wildebeests. Took 20 minutes before we realised the ball had long since been trampled into the ground

- Dave Thorley's wee girl playing on a rocking horse on the stage as Dad did the business

- George Sharp playing Larry Clinton - She's Wanted: the one and only time I've heard it played out (I know, bizarre!)

- sitting in the bog, overhearing some locals complain about "those Walls brothers putting on all those English dj's to impress their English pals". Ooooh, meeooow! :lol:

- Guy, just back from one of his first trips to the States, screwing us into the ground for his fee. He settled on £120, while Keb - who had dragged himself out of his influenza death bed to make it 'home' to Scotland - took all of £14!

- that man Guy again, advising me that "some sneaky bugger is taping my set" as he peeled back the DJ line up sheet from the facia of the decks, to reveal a jack socket attached to a cable which winded it's way under the decks and into a portable cassette recorder, in 'record' mode, hidden from sight by strategically placed furnishings...ahem! whistling.gif

I'll try to think of more, but as I may need counselling after the Celts visit to Old Trafford tonight, don't hold your breath!

Alan

Great to see you on here. Very fond memories of the YM. Many an adventure myself and Mr Higgins had getting to and from the place. I always remember Peem the human bulldozer dancing some 'clear space' on the dance floor. Probably one of the reasons people took to the tables!!

gary

Edited by gazman
Social source share

Blimey, this one's caught me on the hop! Andrew, young man, you are full of surprises! :lol:

- the 'dry' night ( :ohmy:angry.gif:sleep3: )

- sitting in the bog, overhearing some locals complain about "those Walls brothers putting on all those English dj's to impress their English pals". Ooooh, meeooow! :lol:

- that man Guy again, advising me that "some sneaky bugger is taping my set" as he peeled back the DJ line up sheet from the facia of the decks, to reveal a jack socket attached to a cable which winded it's way under the decks and into a portable cassette recorder, in 'record' mode, hidden from sight by strategically placed furnishings...ahem! whistling.gif

Alan

Going back to Steve & Helen's afterwards and Helen trying to make us have some soup. Then of to the pub for the rest of the day. I generally got back home on a tuesday and i only lived 9 miles away!!

Messheads ya bass!!

Derek

Social source share

Aye the hearse wasn't best idea we had, we got stopped twice on the way there by Taysides finest, but seeing we were nice clean cut lads they let us go on our way whistling.gif many great memories of YMCA, totally changed the soul scene in Scotland, well for those of us who wanted a change from the auldies! hard to believe its 24 years ago :g: the Exit Centre and Crown Hotel must get a shout too

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Aye the hearse wasn't best idea we had, we got stopped twice on the way there by Taysides finest, but seeing we were nice clean cut lads they let us go on our way :shhh: many great memories of YMCA, totally changed the soul scene in Scotland, well for those of us who wanted a change from the auldies! hard to believe its 24 years ago :no: the Exit Centre and Crown Hotel must get a shout too

I went to the Crown Hotel a few times. I think I've still got the first anniversary patch somewhere. The crowd were bonkers, but totally up for it. I remember one time we left Euston at 7am Saturday morning to get to Derby to get the coach up with Keb ,Guy, Gilly, Tommo etc. That didn't leave until 1pm, we got there at 1am and I wasn't even taking anything.

Tempests 'Someday' was played on the coach up there on a cassette and by the trime we arrived it had been played a few times and 'broken' ready to play that night.

Great times :yes:

Social source share

An absolute pleasure to Dj there for Alan, my first taste of the incomparable Scottish hospitality too.

I always remember the journey up..with a mate in the back who was feeling a bit "suspect"...the conversation got round to someone saying "peace of mind" and he was convinced he heard "the police are behind" :thumbsup: ...that finished him off before we got there!

Then on the way back once, playing pool with Ion in a Northumbrian hostelery Sunday lunchtime...the locals were convinced we were squaddies and we had to exit stage left in a hurry...

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

This was the first event I ever went North Of The Wall for.

Left L.B on Thursday night got home on the following Tuesday.. :)

Happy times indeed if only I could remember them. I am sure I ended up somewhere with Jock and Stan and all the crew, could be wrong though.

Always been a fan of nights in Scotland since that first visit.

Or did I go with Pablo and Simon Small :thumbsup:

Social source share

An absolute pleasure to Dj there for Alan, my first taste of the incomparable Scottish hospitality too.

I always remember the journey up..with a mate in the back who was feeling a bit "suspect"...the conversation got round to someone saying "peace of mind" and he was convinced he heard "the police are behind" wink.gif ...that finished him off before we got there!

Then on the way back once, playing pool with Ion in a Northumbrian hostelery Sunday lunchtime...the locals were convinced we were squaddies and we had to exit stage left in a hurry...

Thanks Robin, but really, the pleasure was ours! :boxing:

I am genuinely surprised at the regard the Glenrothes YM is clearly held in. I dunno about Steve, but I have seem to have subconsciously overlooked it, due to it being sandwiched between what many would regard as the two of the most important, influential nights Scotland has produced: the Crown Hotel, Thornton and Allanton/Shotts. Guess I should be digging out my tapes and photos, it's obviously more significant than I remember!

We started up the YM in order to build on our modest achievements at the Crown, ie to provide a Scottish Niter in the mould of Stafford, where new/lesser known 60's had prominence, respectfuly supported by 70's/modern soul and oldies. Scotland was well served with 'traditional ' Northern nights, so our aim was to promote a niter which offered something different, in terms of both the music played and the progressive attitude we hoped to generate. Quite simply, we were Stafford boys who felt duty bound to spread the word.

For me, being able to give guys like Robin, Keb, Guy, Dave Thorley, Pat Brady and Gary Rushbrooke - my first Northern hero! - a chance to play up here was a great thrill. Not just because they made my time on the floor at Stafford so special, it was seeing local guys who had never heard these dj's before getting switched on to the new sounds that made it something worthwhile. Which, when we folded, encouraged Jim, Barney and John to take it to another level with Allanton. Aye, no bad thing!

ps Robin: What the hell kind of one horse, sheeyit kicker's town were you in, that the locals mistook you and Ion for squaddies? :thumbsup:

Social source share

This was the first event I ever went North Of The Wall for.

Left L.B on Thursday night got home on the following Tuesday.. :boxing:

Happy times indeed if only I could remember them. I am sure I ended up somewhere with Jock and Stan and all the crew, could be wrong though.

Always been a fan of nights in Scotland since that first visit.

Or did I go with Pablo and Simon Small :thumbsup:

:ohmy::lol: :lol:

Good to see nothing much has changed in all the years since Gav!

Was my first Scottish experience too... and loved every minute of it.

Went on the mini bus from Derby I think, with Guy, Ion etc. Got back to Luton the following Tuesday too ph34r.gif

HAPPY DAYS INDEED :lol:

Social source share

Thanks Robin, but really, the pleasure was ours! :boxing:

ps Robin: What the hell kind of one horse, sheeyit kicker's town were you in, that the locals mistook you and Ion for squaddies? :thumbsup:

Hi Alan, good to see you on here, they must have been blind - I would have been in my "slim soulie" build days, and Ion somewhat veered in the other direction before he became a gym god.

Great to see you at Guy's do last year - see you at his 60th! Or Jock's 50th?! (theres a thought!)

Social source share

Thanks Robin, but really, the pleasure was ours! :thumbsup:

I am genuinely surprised at the regard the Glenrothes YM is clearly held in. I dunno about Steve, but I have seem to have subconsciously overlooked it, due to it being sandwiched between what many would regard as the two of the most important, influential nights Scotland has produced: the Crown Hotel, Thornton and Allanton/Shotts. Guess I should be digging out my tapes and photos, it's obviously more significant than I remember!

We started up the YM in order to build on our modest achievements at the Crown, ie to provide a Scottish Niter in the mould of Stafford, where new/lesser known 60's had prominence, respectfuly supported by 70's/modern soul and oldies. Scotland was well served with 'traditional ' Northern nights, so our aim was to promote a niter which offered something different, in terms of both the music played and the progressive attitude we hoped to generate. Quite simply, we were Stafford boys who felt duty bound to spread the word.

For me, being able to give guys like Robin, Keb, Guy, Dave Thorley, Pat Brady and Gary Rushbrooke - my first Northern hero! - a chance to play up here was a great thrill. Not just because they made my time on the floor at Stafford so special, it was seeing local guys who had never heard these dj's before getting switched on to the new sounds that made it something worthwhile. Which, when we folded, encouraged Jim, Barney and John to take it to another level with Allanton. Aye, no bad thing!

ps Robin: What the hell kind of one horse, sheeyit kicker's town were you in, that the locals mistook you and Ion for squaddies? :rolleyes:

Hi Alan

It was always great fun coming up to DJ there and at the couple of alldayers around the same time. Love my trips to Scotland and it's still the same these days on the occasional visit to Aberdeen.

I still have this great image in my head, when Guy, Keb and few others got this little peddle car out of the playschool stuff and put my daughter, Roxanne in it and off she shot out the door down the hall, turning right and across the dance floor. Some very messy heads in the room nearly exploded at the sight of this.

Many of the guys from there I only see now a couple of times a year, but it like we have never been apart, great friends.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Myself and 2 mates only ever made the trip up there the once, but we had a memorable time. Not least because it must have been Jan/Feb/Mar time and i've never been that cold going to a niter since. We also did a 360 spin on a roundabout not to far from the venue, but ended up pointing the right way, so Kev, just carried on driving like nothing had happened. I think we were still in silent shock at about 4am :rolleyes:

I wouldnt be able to pin down any tunes from the night but we had a great laugh with some scooter guys and girls, and I do remember the enthusiasm being at another level to the other places we were going at the time. Hinkley and Leicester. Not that there was anything wrong with them. They were superb allnighters. Just walking into Glenrothes was like walking into a 6 year olds party a few minutes after the Sunny D had been shared out. wacko.gif

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey, this one's caught me on the hop! Andrew, young man, you are full of surprises! laugh.gif

- the 'dry' night ( :yes::lol:sleep3.gif )

- sitting in the bog, overhearing some locals complain about "those Walls brothers putting on all those English dj's to impress their English pals". Ooooh, meeooow! :D

Well Alan - its Gouldy here !!

Long time no see mate.

Ah the days of the Crown, Exit and the YM - used to take the money at the door and sell the RTSC patches - think i made u and Stevie a small fortune !!

Our trips down to Leicester, Stafford etc were truly exceptional too

Remember partaking in some possibly illegal substances off the back of your record box in a layby outside leicester one nite- Rico was the designated driver that time !!!

The new 60s Bigots / Mafia with Keb and Guy - The dancing reverend TC , Robin, Dave etc etc etc

Good days and fondly remembered !!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert