Soulful House/garage

Deep in conversation on Friday Night about the sameness of some of the newer records that were being played nowadays. Lack of strings, productions that lack a little finesse and basically how hard it is to find the next Mel Britt etc. In between jigging about to Andy Fisher, Bottom and Co, and a few others that contradicted this 'theory" :thumbsup: , the conversation came round to soulful house/garage to wit I have to admit I am not fully conversant with said genre so kept mi trap shut. On reading a thread this morning up pops the same conversation. So...let's be having yer then. Could someone post 5 'top notch' soulful house/garage tracks that they reckon will blow my socks off as was claimed on Friday. (Quote: "Proper tracks Dave will blow yer socks off"). I've got mi best socks on and wait in anticipation.

It's a serious request as always up for sumat different, provided that key element is present: QUALITY.

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

• Replies 280
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mickeyb

Deep in conversation on Friday Night about the sameness of some of the newer records that were being played nowadays. Lack of strings, productions that lack a little finesse and basically how hard it is to find the next Mel Britt etc. In between jigging about to Andy Fisher, Bottom and Co, and a few others that contradicted this 'theory" :D , the conversation came round to soulful house/garage to wit I have to admit I am not fully conversant with said genre so kept mi trap shut. On reading a thread this morning up pops the same conversation. So...let's be having yer then. Could someone post 5 'top notch' soulful house/garage tracks that they reckon will blow my socks off as was claimed on Friday. (Quote: "Proper tracks Dave will blow yer socks off"). I've got mi best socks on and wait in anticipation.

It's a serious request as always up for sumat different, provided that key element is present: QUALITY.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Deep-House-t84521.html

There are some pretty good clips on the above thread started by Miss Schmidt a little while ago.

Social source share

Contemporary..

Give Me Joy (try the 7" edit) - Marc Evans (UK Defected)

Justifiable - Studio Apartment featuring Kenny Bobien (USA King Street)

Black Man - Gianluca Pighi Featuring Robert Owens (Italian Conya)

Classics

Day By Day (Chez'm'Trent Remix) - Andrew Pearce (UK Network)

I Never Knew - 280 West Featuring Diamiond Temple (backing vocals by Ray, Goodman and Brown) (USA 280 West)

Soul Music - Notenshun featuring Sandy Mill (UK Chillifunk)

Social source share

Contemporary..

Give Me Joy (try the 7" edit) - Marc Evans (UK Defected)

Justifiable - Studio Apartment featuring Kenny Bobien (USA King Street)

Black Man - Gianluca Pighi Featuring Robert Owens (Italian Conya)

Classics

Day By Day (Chez'm'Trent Remix) - Andrew Pearce (UK Network)

I Never Knew - 280 West Featuring Diamiond Temple (backing vocals by Ray, Goodman and Brown) (USA 280 West)

Soul Music - Notenshun featuring Sandy Mill (UK Chillifunk)

Soulful house is a misnomer, a contradiction in terms really, isn't it ?

I've always found it a curious proposition (and stereotype) that, because a person may for example be black and wail like hell over a computerised 120pm beat, it is "soulful".

I've had a good listen to a lot of so called soulful house over the last 20 years or so and the remarkable thing about a lot of it - the vocals , the music and the songwriting - is how cold and soul-less and tune-less it really is.

Bit insulting to the likes of everyone from Garnett Mimms to Anita Baker to call this stuff "soulful", eh ?

Wasn't soul music pretty much dead by some time in the mid 80's anyway ???

Please read the Betty Lavette LP thread ! :D

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

I've always found it a curious proposition (and stereotype) that, because a person may for example be black and wail like hell over a computerised 120pm beat, it is "soulful".

I've had a good listen to a lot of so called soulful house over the last 20 years or so and the remarkable thing a lot of it - the vocals , the music and the songwriting - is how cold and soul-less and tune-less it really is.

Bit insulting to the likes of everyone from Garnett Mimms to Anita Baker to call this stuff "soulful", eh ?

Very good post. :rolleyes:

Social source share

I've had a good listen to a lot of so called soulful house over the last 20 years or so and the remarkable thing about a lot of it - the vocals , the music and the songwriting - is how cold and soul-less and tune-less it really is.

tuneless - yeh maybe.

Can't you hear the difference? (I'll presume not). Doesn't matter if it's a black or white person's voice on there does it? you can hear the difference

between a soulful vocal and a pop vocal?. The difference between dance/ house and soulful dance / soulful house can be spotted within half a minute (less) of

hearing the vocal on the record.

well I reckon anyway..

Jayne.x

Social source share

House music has had it's day...people who have jumped onto it these days are flogging a dead horse as it's been dead since the early 90s...Manchester is testement to this...dance nights are as rare as rocking horse shit these days round these parts as most people with any kudos at all wouldn't touch the shite bandied about with a barge pole...obviously like anything there are exceptions to the rule...but on the whole it is glorified chart music and Manchester knows better...can't speak for the rest of the UK :D

Social source share

House music has had it's day...people who have jumped onto it these days are flogging a dead horse as it's been dead since the early 90s...Manchester is testement to this...dance nights are as rare as rocking horse shit these days round these parts as most people with any kudos at all wouldn't touch the shite bandied about with a barge pole...obviously like anything there are exceptions to the rule...but on the whole it is glorified chart music and Manchester knows better...can't speak for the rest of the UK :rolleyes:

But that's got nothing to do with the quality of the music has it Beeks? Your outlook is once again from a DJ/Scene based perspective Mate. Rock n roll has 'had it's day' but that doesn't detract from the quality of the music does it?

I've listened to the links and appreciate the direction some have pointed me in...first impressions are not good though :thumbsup: . It all sounds very much like distorted disco to me. I can't recognise anything I would describe as soul in there at all. I have this vision of Rave and Ibiza and folks with whistles that create a scene as opposed to listen to music. Maybe I'm just destined to stay in my musical comfort zone of classic sounding 60s and 70s soul. Ah well.....socks still firmly on, but at least I tried. :D

Social source share

But that's got nothing to do with the quality of the music has it Beeks? Your outlook is once again from a DJ/Scene based perspective Mate. Rock n roll has 'had it's day' but that doesn't detract from the quality of the music does it?

Ah but Dave you are completely missing the point here...of course my outlook is from a DJ/scene perspective...House music was created for just that...dancing in sweaty warehouse spaces...not for listening to in the comfort of your armchair...it's not like soul where you can appreciate it anywhere...you grew up with soul...I grew up with house...as for the quality of music...it hasn't changed...it was never good, bar the odd Masters At Work/Todd Terry release but at the time I thought it was the greatest music ever invented (due to copious amounts of acid and Es)...it was what I, as a 16 year old lad used to get mashed to...I listen back to the music that I was into then and I cringe...I listen to any new House releases and I feel the same...

So you see for spotty teenagers wanting to get off their heads and dance around an aircraft hangar then I suppose it's spot on...for anyone else it needs a wide berth

Social source share

it was never good, bar the odd Masters At Work/Todd Terry release but at the time I thought it was the greatest music ever invented (due to copious amounts of acid and Es)...it was what I, as a 16 year old lad used to get mashed to...I listen back to the music that I was into then and I cringe...I listen to any new House releases and I feel the same...

So you see for spotty teenagers wanting to get off their heads and dance around an aircraft hangar then I suppose it's spot on...for anyone else it needs a wide berth

It certainly seems that way to me. Strange that some folk ( well respected folk too), seem to accept that these records are 'soulful'. Then again most of them are DJs too! :thumbup: Appreciate the honesty. It's not for me, mi lugs are far to refined now at my age! :thumbsup:

Social source share

It certainly seems that way to me. Strange that some folk ( well respected folk too), seem to accept that these records are 'soulful'. Then again most of them are DJs too! :thumbup: Appreciate the honesty. It's not for me, mi lugs are far to refined now at my age! :thumbsup:

try

The Rebirth - This Journey In

I posted it up on refosoul awhile back...suppose you could loosely call it house...it's soulful dance music anyway...great record and about as near to what I suppose some on here are getting at when they describe soulful dance music

Social source share

Ah but Dave you are completely missing the point here...of course my outlook is from a DJ/scene perspective...House music was created for just that...dancing in sweaty warehouse spaces...not for listening to in the comfort of your armchair...it's not like soul where you can appreciate it anywhere...you grew up with soul...I grew up with house...as for the quality of music...it hasn't changed...it was never good, bar the odd Masters At Work/Todd Terry release but at the time I thought it was the greatest music ever invented (due to copious amounts of acid and Es)...it was what I, as a 16 year old lad used to get mashed to...I listen back to the music that I was into then and I cringe...I listen to any new House releases and I feel the same...

Deep House and rave stuff is totally different...early Blaze for example is not really the "I got a whistle and I'm off my tits" sound...I'm looking more at Jersey not at Manchester.

Kenny Lattimore-Days Like this (yoruba soul mix) is, as the name of the mix already says, more a Soul than a house tune. Well, in my opinion House can be really soulful but it's a different genre to Soul. If I pay to go to a Soul night I really wouldnt expect any house to be played. That would surprise me a bit. I know at some nights they do play the odd tune but it's not what you would expect.

Edited by Miss Schmidt
Social source share

Schmidt... Kenny Dope...Todd Terry et al were hardly 'I got a whistle and i'm off my tits' are they?! They were Pioneers of deep house

Lets face it...noone is going to put on a house record...make a brew and sit down for a relaxing music listening session...it's purely going out tackle and to be honest i'd rather leave it to the kids :thumbsup:

Social source share

it's purely going out tackle and to be honest i'd rather leave it to the kids :thumbsup:

lol - you sound like a right old fart! :thumbup::shades:

you should have a listen to a Davie Bell set (or Eddie).. have you met Davie yet? he's a modern DJ who plays to the soulful extreme's. I love Davie to bits..

OR a Colin Curtis spot at the next stoke nighter..

Jayne.x

Social source share

Could someone post 5 'top notch' soulful house/garage tracks that they reckon will blow my socks off as was claimed on Friday. (Quote: "Proper tracks Dave will blow yer socks off"). I've got mi best socks on and wait in anticipation.

will have a go at this tonight when I get home Dave..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

zzzzzz

Boring boring boring boring

This topic has been done to death and as per usual the Soul Nazi's are still clueless.

Tell ya what if you don't like it don't bother asking about it.

Social source share

lol - you sound like a right old fart! :thumbup::shades:

you should have a listen to a Davie Bell set (or Eddie).. have you met Davie yet? he's a modern DJ who plays to the soulful extreme's. I love Davie to bits..

OR a Colin Curtis spot at the next stoke nighter..

Jayne.x

To be honest Jayne I have a reasonably good knowledge of House...even in todays climate due to the fact that a few of my friends are still very much in the thick of it as artists/producers/DJs...but i'm just completely disinterested in it as a genre these days...no idea why I went so cold on it...just woke up one day and thought...'This Is Shit'...and never looked back :thumbsup:

Social source share

To be honest Jayne I have a reasonably good knowledge of House...even in todays climate due to the fact that a few of my friends are still very much in the thick of it as artists/producers/DJs...but i'm just completely disinterested in it as a genre these days...no idea why I went so cold on it...just woke up one day and thought...'This Is Shit'...and never looked back :thumbsup:

what about 'old skool' stuff that you may have loved 'back in the day'?..

Jayne.

Social source share

I met Neil Rushton on friday, he was picking up a record from me and as it was raining, he jumped in my car only to hear "Lets get brutal" by Nitro Deluxe on the cd player so I quickly pressed 'next track' and I said "Don't tell anyone" :thumbsup:

the Ipod genius did a compilation for me see

p.s. is that an old house record?

Social source share

try

The Rebirth - This Journey In

I posted it up on refosoul awhile back...suppose you could loosely call it house..

It's a cover of an old Funk track it's got fck all to do with House :thumbsup:

Social source share

what about 'old skool' stuff that you may have loved 'back in the day'?..

Jayne.

Exactly the same...the only slight saving grace is that certain records do take me back to a time and a place in a club/event...suppose it's similar to the oldies crowd on here that only like certain records because it brings back memories for them

I don't know...I just can't listen to dance music anymore and no matter how much of an effort someone might go to to tell me that ANY dance music is soulful they will be falling on deaf ears...to me Frankie Knuckles et al was great house...but at the end of the day that's all it is...electronically generated music with a few string samples and a vocal over the top does not a soul record make...

That's not to say i'm knocking people who enjoy it...good for them and for many years it gave me the same thrill...just not my bag anymore.

Social source share

It's a cover of an old Funk track it's got fck all to do with House :thumbsup:

It's a dance record...and like I stated...'loosely' call it house...was a MONSTER on the club circuit here in manchester going back a couple of years...so make of that what you will.

Social source share

Fook Me! Who rattled your cage? :thumbsup:

It has been done to death. It's just another excuse for the anti House brigade to jump up with their ill informed opinions and post utter shite.

Social source share

It has been done to death. It's just another excuse for the anti House brigade to jump up with their ill informed opinions and post utter shite.

I wouldn't know a house record from a reggae record. When I asked about ska, reggae, bluebeat etc I got loads of samples, examples, help to identify which genre was which, how to differentiate between them and generally good stuff that helped me to appreciate the genre as I didn't think I ever would.

My enquiry about Soulful House was hopefully gonna produce the same result, but unfortunately all you wanna do is rattle on about Nazis. Move over, Mate, make room for someone with better manners and a willingness to share their limited knowledge. Unless of course you are the Soulful Ominipitent One that your 'name' would suggest. :thumbup::thumbsup:

Social source share

I wouldn't know a house record from a reggae record. When I asked about ska, reggae, bluebeat etc I got loads of samples, examples, help to identify which genre was which, how to differentiate between them and generally good stuff that helped me to appreciate the genre as I didn't think I ever would.

Dave

Didn't think you'd be wanting a listen to the housy side of things but as you say its good to at least identify it. I'll sort some out for you to listen to. I'll post them or bring em to Burnley at the Dec do if I get there. Don't think its your cup of tea though, but you'll get an idea.

Cheers Kev

PS. Thanks again for the Supremes pic sleeves.

Social source share

I wouldn't know a house record from a reggae record.

One comes with it's own Rizla..

I was posting about Beeks and Pete S posting utter shite about House music. What they have to say has been said time and time again and is still utter nonsense.

Too be honest you must know what you like so just listen to some of the various podcasts in the media section or do you need some one to tell you if somethings good or not..

Your right Mark it's not worth it....

Bloody good fun though :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Steve Lehair

soulfull house is the natural successor to northern soul , listen to "TEARS"by Frankie Knuckeles if thats not soul i dont know what is ,and ive been a northern man since 73

Social source share

Guest souldancer

I've listened to the links and appreciate the direction some have pointed me in...first impressions are not good though :shades: . It all sounds very much like distorted disco to me. I can't recognise anything I would describe as soul in there at all. I have this vision of Rave and Ibiza and folks with whistles that create a scene as opposed to listen to music. Maybe I'm just destined to stay in my musical comfort zone of classic sounding 60s and 70s soul. Ah well.....socks still firmly on, but at least I tried. :thumbsup:

Blimey...you've given up already? Soulful House is damn good but to expect to get hooked after 4 hours is asking a bit much... :thumbup:

No..jokeing aside....you need be listening to it continuously...in your car, catch lots of radio shows and podcasts as mentioned.

Don't expect to like every one... none of us do..develop your own taste.

I shall post a few myself later.

Social source share

John

as I can appreciate that for what it is I think Dave's socks are still on and he's reaching for his slippers or the exit. Knowing Dave really well and trying to compare the Byron Stingly track to a Mel Britt is a no hoper.

Maybe something like James Ingram 'Lean on me' or Ron Carrol 'Back to me' just might be a little closer. But honestly Dave it will all sound like a different style of disco to you IMO.

Kev

Sorry I can't refo post as my burner is up the spout.

[/quote

You know me well. :thumbup:

I'm determined to make my own mind up on this style of 'dance/soul/genre' of music and just needed a step off in the right direction. This is not my forte as you know but I'm more than willing to give it a chance and delve a little deeper. Can't be any more insulting to the lugs than that Salvation Army sounding gubbins by George Lemons or the Dean Barlow diatribe can it. :thumbsup:

Can it???? :shades:

Social source share

Guest familytree

Please read the Betty Lavette LP thread ! :thumbup:

You dont think any of the many Northern tracks at 120bpms or faster are soulful either then?...

Edited by familytree
Social source share

Guest bazrico

Forgive me for being an old soulie well past sell by date.

But i have never been one to say oldies for ever however some tunes posted on this thread would never be played at soul night or all nighter (unless there was a separate room).

I could go on and say northern soul 2-30 minutes 4 beats to the bar then some, however with the new stuff which is more mid temp and 3-30 minutes is more to my liking.

So i don't i will be dashing off to purchase any of the soul/house turns, but then that's my choice.

Social source share

Guest familytree

Getting carried away now... and before anyone tells me yes i know its gospel but its beautiful... me thinx with a few word changes there is a BIG tune here from my dear friend Ace.

Social source share

Guest souldancer

Deep in conversation on Friday Night about the sameness of some of the newer records that were being played nowadays. Lack of strings, productions that lack a little finesse and basically how hard it is to find the next Mel Britt etc. In between jigging about to Andy Fisher, Bottom and Co, and a few others that contradicted this 'theory" :thumbup: , the conversation came round to soulful house/garage to wit I have to admit I am not fully conversant with said genre so kept mi trap shut. On reading a thread this morning up pops the same conversation. So...let's be having yer then. Could someone post 5 'top notch' soulful house/garage tracks that they reckon will blow my socks off as was claimed on Friday. (Quote: "Proper tracks Dave will blow yer socks off"). I've got mi best socks on and wait in anticipation.

Right..I'm gonna have a stab at this..

My first 5 are a proven stepping stone for any staunch Northern fan to get into Soulful House if they so desire. Some have already been mentioned and rightly so..

Given Me Joy - Marc Evans

Innerside - Shazz

I Thank You - Stephanie Cooke

Won't Give Up - Domu feat. Pete Simpson

Let It Go - Joi Cardwell

Next 5....my faves for 2008..

Hold On - Marlon D vs Mena Keys feat. Max C

Into My Life - Elements Of Life feat. Lisa Fisher & Cindy Mizelle

Loves Just Better With You - Kloud 9 (Realm mix)

Beautiful - Jada

Overcome - Flora Cruz (Phil Hooton mix) - a rework of a House classic

Social source share