Ian Levine Productions And Songs

hi ian is this cp spencer available on 7 inch wicked tune cheers vince

I'm still waiting and hoping for Phil Dick to put it out.

I do hope it ends up on vinyl. I shall be gutted if it never does.

Social source share

• Replies 1.1k
  • Views 71.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

No not yet????? laugh.gif

P :lol:

Ian Dewhirst has gone very quiet of late, and I have to fear that if they didn't sell enough sevens of Cafe Regios and Peter Lamarr, that the much needed and awaited C.P. Spencer and Nat Augustin 45s might never see light of day on vinyl.

I urge those of you who like this stuff to support the couple of sevens that Phil Dick has done.

When I pressed Sidney Barnes on vinyl, in 2001, no-one wanted to know. It took six years for it to take off.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Ian Dewhirst has gone very quiet of late, and I have to fear that if they didn't sell enough sevens of Cafe Regios and Peter Lamarr, that the much needed and awaited C.P. Spencer and Nat Augustin 45s might never see light of day on vinyl.

I urge those of you who like this stuff to support the couple of sevens that Phil Dick has done.

When I pressed Sidney Barnes on vinyl, in 2001, no-one wanted to know. It took six years for it to take off.

They'll all be coming out.

We have an agreement, and I have to recoup the investment. The only way I'll do that is by putting out 45's.

Phil

Social source share

They'll all be coming out.

We have an agreement, and I have to recoup the investment. The only way I'll do that is by putting out 45's.

Phil

Big sigh of relief.

So which is next - C.P. or Nat ????

Social source share

I have the Cafe Regios, So is the Lamarr 45 available now?

P smile.gif

Social source share

I have the Cafe Regios, So is the Lamarr 45 available now?

I have a copy but the label is too small. I don't know if they're being redone or not.

Social source share

I have a copy but the label is too small. I don't know if they're being redone or not.

Hopefully. Just waiting to hear from the manufacturers.

I currently have 100's of Peter Lamarr with 85mm labels instead of the specified 90mm labels.

Phil

Social source share

Heard something about Betty Lavette commenting on Ians contribution to music being posted on here (a recorded clip)? would love to hear what one of these great soul artists had to say? Why was it removed (I cant find it)?

Surely the 'soul artists' are what we are concerned with?

:Dsad.gif

Social source share

Guest the average man

I was thinking the other day about it being a good idea getting some soul tracks onto Guitar Hero or Rock Band after reading an article about how kids are getting into bands they had previously never heard of before playing Guitar Hero, and so many taking up playing real instruments because of it.

hmmm the guitar teacher I know seems to be saying something similar James except that once they've played the game and decided to go and buy an instrument they are finding it's harder to play than the game may have them believe and therefore getting disillusioned with it and just going back to the game. I think invariably more people will have started playing guitars because of it though. And having your own song featuring in it can be lucrative, I was reading that Aerosmith have made more money on their version of Guitar Hero than their combined album sales (which I find hard to believe TBH but still)

As for this Ian Levine fellow. He refered to himself in the third person when talking about Kings Go Forth which I thought was immense. I tried to order something in Greggs (I know I should know better) once in the third person, I had to mumble my name in case they thought I was a nutter although every time I've been stupid enough to venture into one of their "bakeries" or "industrial defrosting units" theres been a weirdo in there. And I don't like their queueing system in that they don't have one.

Also like Ian. I do a bit of boxing and like him I'm still a fat goon. But I'm not gay. Thats where the likeness well and truly ends.

that is all

Social source share

I currently have 100's of Peter Lamarr with 85mm labels instead of the specified 90mm labels.

Phil

sorry can I ask what that means?

is it just the label on the record is 5mm to small?

if so that don't effect play, differnt if they were to big..

or am i getting it wrong.. (sorry if i sound stupid)

so can we buy them with labels that are to small..but play fine :D

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Who did the vocal on this one? One of your better productions to my ear. Did you have a hand in the video at all or was it all the BBC?

Paul, the sound file from Betty is in my signature, if you click on the quote "I will kick him between the legs"...

Social source share

Who did the vocal on this one? One of your better productions to my ear. Did you have a hand in the video at all or was it all the BBC?

Paul, the sound file from Betty is in my signature, if you click on the quote "I will kick him between the legs"...

any more abuse/insults between you 4 will result in immediate action being taken to who ever makes them

if anyone reacts to any abuse/insults then it will be treated the same

account suspended for 72 hours

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...t&p=1000000

Social source share

sorry can I ask what that means?

is it just the label on the record is 5mm to small?

if so that don't effect play, differnt if they were to big..

or am i getting it wrong.. (sorry if i sound stupid)

so can we buy them with labels that are to small..but play fine :ohmy:

From what I can gather, the records were pressed abroad and the labels were just too small. The Cafe Regio's had proper sized labels which fitted properly, but the Peter Lamarr labels just look too small, and not like American labels.

It's an aesthetic thing and has nothing to do with the way the record plays.

Social source share

By the way, just for the record, yes I wrote the theme to the Doctor Who spin-off from 1981, "K-9 And Company", as a demo that was supposed to be produced with a full orchestra of strings and brass.

I did not produce it.

The person who did produce this version that was used, ignored what it was meant to be, and made it sound very cheap and electronic, and I protested at the time.

The version posted on this page, which has nothing whatsoever to do with soul music anyway, was not produced by me at all, and is therefore irrelevant.

Social source share

I love Bettye Lavette.

I produced over fifteen songs with her.

Plus an entire album released.

She had money off me. She recorded for me in 1989, 1990, and in England in 1992 for the album.

She went on TV with me in Detroit in 1990

She performed at my huge 17 artist concert at The Pontchartrain in Detroit in 1990

She performed in England in 1991, which I arranged for her, at our Motorcity Weekender in Great Yarmouth.

She then filmed for our Strange World Of Northern Soul in 1999.

Her comments sound totally tongue in cheek to me, and made me laugh. She has a wicked sense of humour.

If she meant what she said, she wouldn't have worked with me over such a long period, and, as I said, she had received money advances, which never got to the stage of breaking even, and therefore never led to her earning anything above the advances and the expensive studio costs of making the records at the time.

I unreservedly adore her and would never hear a bad word said against her, and I'm so proud of her for her new found fame.

post-13099-1236015754_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Je pense que Ian Latrine's vidos serait mieux si il a laiss sur le capuchon d'objectif. Que pensez-vous Nico?

You are absolutely right and if I may suggest, I think it could nice to put a cap on the video recorder's microphone too.

Social source share

Here we go again....

Ian - a question for you ......

George Daniel Long " What Makes A Man A Man "

This interpratation of the Charles Aznavour / Bradford Craig song , worked very well with GDL : have you any intention of working on more material like this , i.e. the material of Jaques Brel and Kurt Weill , with GDL ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

This interpratation of the Charles Aznavour / Bradford Craig song , worked very well with GDL : have you any intention of working on more material like this , i.e. the material of Jaques Brel and Kurt Weill , with GDL ?

Malc Burton

Do us a favour Malc, listen to more than 10 minutes of Brel and it's wrist slashing time!

(Or did you mean Brecht? Either way, same result)

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Do us a favour Malc, listen to more than 10 minutes of Brel and it's wrist slashing time!(Or did you mean Brecht? Either way, same result)

I hope that is not a request Pete laugh.gif .......

The music of JB & KW was listenable , that was until Marc Almond opened his trap ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I hope that is not a request Pete laugh.gif .......

The music of JB & KW was listenable , that was until Marc Almond opened his trap ......

Malc Burton

I was thinking about Scott Walker Sings Jaques Brel, an LP on Philips...also that film, Jaques Brel Is Alive And Well And Living In Paris...depressing, very depressing. Marc Almonds version of Jackie was good though, Bowie's version of Amsterdam was brilliant.

Social source share

Malc Burton

A friend of mine suggested doing a mid tempo disco version of the Charles Aznavour song, and I searched high and low to find someone suitable to do it. I wanted a Sammy Davis Jr type character.

Consequently, George was recommended to me by Gerod Harris, because George actually played Sammy Davis in the West End production of The Rat Pack.

Hence perfect pairing of styles.

I love answering proper questions like this. It enables me to ignore the garbage posted further up the page.

Social source share

I was thinking about Scott Walker Sings Jaques Brel, an LP on Philips...also that film, Jaques Brel Is Alive And Well And Living In Paris...depressing, very depressing. Marc Almonds version of Jackie was good though, Bowie's version of Amsterdam was brilliant.

I am not a DB fan , but I will agree with you that his version was a cut above other versions I have heard ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I am not a DB fan , but I will agree with you that his version was a cut above other versions I have heard ........

Malc Burton

I'm lost now

Social source share

Did Ian really do this (not sure if your joking?) It does have that Levine production quality, with the synths replacing the other instruments? Quite soulful I think. Definitely in the same 'homage to Northern soul' vein that the Lamarr tune is! Great stuff for sure :thumbup:

Social source share

I was thinking about Scott Walker Sings Jaques Brel, an LP on Philips...

Love that album and Im not joking Pete. Brel was such a good lyricist and Walker did him proud :thumbsup:

Not saying it's a bad album, quite the opposite, but I wouldn't play it when I was feeling depressed!

Sorry to take this off topic by the way.

Social source share

I'm lost now

Do not worry Ian - just a bit of off tangent banter between Smithy and myself .......

Pete brought up the subject of " Amsterdam " , when I mentioned Brel / Weill in relation to my question to you about George Daniel Long .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Do not worry Ian - just a bit of off tangent banter between Smithy and myself .......

Pete brought up the subject of " Amsterdam " , when I mentioned Brel / Weill in relation to my question to you about George Daniel Long .

Malc Burton

Ian ........

What song - or songs - of yours have you been unsuccessful ( as of yet ) in finding the " right " vocalist or vocalists for , despite your attempts to do so , that you are still wanting to record ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Ian ........

What song - or songs - of yours have you been unsuccessful ( as of yet ) in finding the " right " vocalist or vocalists for , despite your attempts to do so , that you are still wanting to record ?

Malc Burton

An amazing song called "Don't Need a Stranger In My Life".

First done on Chris Judge, then done with Benjamin Barnes (the actor, and the one who co-wrote "Miracles") and also tried out with Italian singer, Lorenz.

No-one has come close so far.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Ian i have just looked through my Nigthmare Lps wich i have Vol1 to 6,been playing Steve Manch Hopelessly..Carol Woods..Never Satisfied etc etc then i found a Track on Vol6 by Lilly Savage :thumbup: i just cant play it to my self..whatever made you record him or is it her :shades: Graham

Social source share

Ian i have just looked through my Nigthmare Lps wich i have Vol1 to 6,been playing Steve Manch Hopelessly..Carol Woods..Never Satisfied etc etc then i found a Track on Vol6 by Lilly Savage :thumbsup: i just cant play it to my self..whatever made you record him or is it her :D Graham

Ian - hope you do not mind me posting this .......

One of my favourites of yours : Have you any more plans to work with Carol Jiani in the future ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Phil

Just heard that new (hopefully this time right) copies of the Peter Lamarr 45 will be here on Monday :lol:

It will then be available for sale.

Phil

Edited by phild
Social source share

FFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTIIIIII

IIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCC :thumbsup:

You have impeccable taste

Social source share

Ian i have just looked through my Nigthmare Lps wich i have Vol1 to 6,been playing Steve Manch Hopelessly..Carol Woods..Never Satisfied etc etc then i found a Track on Vol6 by Lilly Savage :thumbsup: i just cant play it to my self..whatever made you record him or is it her :thumbup: Graham

Er......

Er...........

Er................

no comment.

Social source share