Ian Levine Productions And Songs

• Replies 1.1k
  • Views 71.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I would just like to state for the record, that, in my humble but expert opinion, Northern Soul is a sound, in the same way as reggae or jazz or blues or country or techno or two-step, is a sound.

If a record has a brisk uptempo Motownesque flavour, then it's probably part of a genre that we term "Northern Soul".

What is this nonsense of claiming it has to be SPECIFICALLY played on the rare soul scene to be allowed to be classed as Northern Soul ??

I have never heard such bull in my fifty years on this planet.

I was fourteen when I started discovering records that we grew to call "Northern Soul".

At the Mecca and The Torch, we played new releases like Archie Bell and Jimmy James alongside super rarities like Leon Haywood and Sandi Sheldon.

Northern Soul described the sound. As David Nathan said over dinner last week, he and Dave Godin had a box at Soul City, in the late 1960s, early 1970s, and every record with a Motown beat went into that box and was classed as Northern Soul.

As he was Dave Godin's partner in the shop, he should know better than anyone.

To define a record as only being Northern Soul if it's played on the scene. as opposed to having the specific sound, is pure lunacy, according to David Nathan, and as a pioneer of your "scene", I wholeheartedly concur.

Lets stop this idiocy now.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I would just like to state for the record, that, in my humble but expert opinion, Northern Soul is a sound, in the same way as reggae or jazz or blues or country or techno or two-step, is a sound.

If a record has a brisk uptempo Motownesque flavour, then it's probably part of a genre that we term "Northern Soul".

What is this nonsense of claiming it has to be SPECIFICALLY played on the rare soul scene to be allowed to be classed as Northern Soul ??

I have never heard such bull in my fifty years on this planet.

I was fourteen when I started discovering records that we grew to call "Northern Soul".

At the Mecca and The Torch, we played new releases like Archie Bell and Jimmy James alongside super rarities like Leon Haywood and Sandi Sheldon.

Northern Soul described the sound. As David Nathan said over dinner last week, he and Dave Godin had a box at Soul City, in the late 1960s, early 1970s, and every record with a Motown beat went into that box and was classed as Northern Soul.

As he was Dave Godin's partner in the shop, he should know better than anyone.

To define a record as only being Northern Soul if it's played on the scene. as opposed to having the specific sound, is pure lunacy, according to David Nathan, and as a pioneer of your "scene", I wholeheartedly concur.

Lets stop this idiocy now.

Oh right. So none of the records you have written "Northern Soul" on the package have been played on the 'northern soul scene'? Okay dockey.

Social source share

With just two days to go, I really would like many of you here on Soul Source to come and join us on Saturday for an amazing show, free of charge, as my guests. Most Soul Sourcers are more than welcome.

The truly fantastic launch party for the "Soul Steppers" CD and DVD.

Please please do try to come this Saturday to our wonderful launch party at Ramshackle, for "Soul Steppers". Loads of acts performing, including The Flirtations, Rosetta Hightower, Donna Williams, The Concentrations, Laverta Lewis, Milton Brown, Janine Johnson, Tahira Jumah, Michael Lloyd Pinq, Delroy G. Pinnock, Peter Lamarr, Jay Harvey, Kitty Corbin, Pearly Gates, Noel McKoy, and loads more.

Ramshackle in Fulham High Street, from 7pm till 1 am

Just e-mail us on soulsteppers@live.com

and all your names and the names of your guests and friends will be ready on the guest list for Saturday night.

You have my appreciation and gratitude

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Ian, why do you think it is that none of the records you package as "Northern Soul" get played on the 'northern soul scene'?

What could be the reason, in your humble but expert opinion?

Social source share

Ian, why do you think it is that none of the records you package as "Northern Soul" get played on the 'northern soul scene'?

What could be the reason, in your humble but expert opinion?

:rolleyes: ya kno jimmy boy, in my humble and non expert opinion, ya baiting of Ian Levine is going nowhere!

I mean, come on lad...look at ya self portrait in ya avatar!! your so obsessed with the man ya even beating yourself up to look like him!... take a tip from an old man.... get yaself a healthy interest... try some of that good old soul music.. and just be yourself!... and leave Ian to carry on being himself. One man's Northern Soul may not be another man's Northern Soul. a dear departed mate of mine once said "I don't care what music you're into.... as long as your into your music"

steve

Social source share

As David Nathan said over dinner last week, he and Dave Godin had a box at Soul City, in the late 1960s, early 1970s, and every record with a Motown beat went into that box and was classed as Northern Soul.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thankyou again Ian , for clarifying the meaning behind the term ..........

A lot of people tend to forget that " Northern Soul " was coined by Dave Godin , as a way of " seperating " records that had the more uptempo Motown aligned musical type and style , from the other records stocked and sold at Soul City .

I once asked David about this , and he told me by labelling boxes with the term " NS " , it saved a lot of time when people

" from the North " went to SC , as it gave them a " dedicated " section for browsing and selection , instead of them going through stock that would not be of interest to them , a lesson he had learned through experience .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Thankyou again Ian , for clarifying the meaning behind the term ..........

A lot of people tend to forget that " Northern Soul " was coined by Dave Godin , as a way of " seperating " records that had the more uptempo Motown aligned musical type and style , from the other records stocked and sold at Soul City .

I once asked David about this , and he told me by labelling boxes with the term " NS " , it saved a lot of time when people

" from the North " went to SC , as it gave them a " dedicated " section for browsing and selection , instead of them going through stock that would not be of interest to them , a lesson he had learned through experience .

Malc Burton

This is totally true, and it really irks me when, forty years later, people who weren't even born back in the late 1960s try to dictate to us all what Northern Soul should and shouldn't be.

It's a bit like Girls Aloud saying they invented the Motown Sound.

Social source share

This is totally true, and it really irks me when, forty years later, people who weren't even born back in the late 1960s try to dictate to us all what Northern Soul should and shouldn't be.

It's a bit like Girls Aloud saying they invented the Motown Sound.

But surely the definition has changed? This subject has been debated over and over and a lot of people accept the definition that if it's been played in a Northern soul club it's Northern Soul. That's a theme that links traditional Motown sounding soul, pop stompers with the right beat, 70s, instrumentals, Latin, modern, UK cover versions, Beat ballads and so on and so on.

I bet Mel Britt and Billy Woods wouldn't have gone in that "Uptempo Motown" sounding box for a start. What about NF Porter's "Keep On Keeping On"? Played at Torch and about as un-Motown as you can get. And those examples are off the top of my head. I think some of your own original spins completely dispel the argument that only Motownesque sounds are Northern Soul.

Finally, people set out to make Jazz, reggae, techno etc. I think you'd be hard pushed to say that there were many US artists responsible for what we call call Northern Soul records who deliberately made them to appeal to record buyers in the North of England.

Social source share

But surely the definition has changed? This subject has been debated over and over and a lot of people accept the definition that if it's been played in a Northern soul club it's Northern Soul. That's a theme that links traditional Motown sounding soul, pop stompers with the right beat, 70s, instrumentals, Latin, modern, UK cover versions, Beat ballads and so on and so on.

I bet Mel Britt and Billy Woods wouldn't have gone in that "Uptempo Motown" sounding box for a start. What about NF Porter's "Keep On Keeping On"? Played at Torch and about as un-Motown as you can get. And those examples are off the top of my head. I think some of your own original spins completely dispel the argument that only Motownesque sounds are Northern Soul.

Finally, people set out to make Jazz, reggae, techno etc. I think you'd be hard pushed to say that there were many US artists responsible for what we call call Northern Soul records who deliberately made them to appeal to record buyers in the North of England.

oh - b. 1950s btw

Social source share

But surely the definition has changed? This subject has been debated over and over and a lot of people accept the definition that if it's been played in a Northern soul club it's Northern Soul.

I vehemently refute that, and I can produce a couple of hundred people who will share that view.

Some of them have been banned from Soul Source for debating it, losing their temper, and getting embroiled in arguments that led to their being kicked off.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

I understand that the term Northern and what is deemed as such in reality is very much judged over a certain period when the term 'Northern Soul' actually meant something as such.

But, over the years the music that is judged to be acceptable and allowed to be put under the banner of 'Northern Soul' has surely been brought to the fore by people adjudged to be of enough credibilty to be given the job of playing (new/undiscovered/unplayed) music to a dancefloor.

The DJ.

The myriad of wanky terms that have been spewed forth to encapsulate the new forms of music played today at All-Nighter level have done nothing more than fuel a divide about what truly is Northern Soul.

This is complicated and I'm about to fall over my own mouth.

Blame the DJ's - or more to the point, blame the people that have appointed them such.

Therefore:

It's all the punters fault.

Is it f*ck.

Social source share

I understand that the term Northern and what is deemed as such in reality is very much judged over a certain period when the term 'Northern Soul' actually meant something as such.

But, over the years the music that is judged to be acceptable and allowed to be put under the banner of 'Northern Soul' has surely been brought to the fore by people adjudged to be of enough credibilty to be given the job of playing (new/undiscovered/unplayed) music to a dancefloor.

The DJ.

The myriad of wanky terms that have been spewed forth to encapsulate the new forms of music played today at All-Nighter level have done nothing more than fuel a divide about what truly is Northern Soul.

This is complicated and I'm about to fall over my own mouth.

Blame the DJ's - or more to the point, blame the people that have appointed them such.

Therefore:

It's all the punters fault.

Is it f*ck.

hypo.gif

5169PBKHDPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Final chance

I do hope lots of you are coming tonight to our wonderful launch party at Ramshackle, for "Soul Steppers". Loads of acts performing, including The Flirtations, Rosetta Hightower, Donna Williams, The Concentrations, Laverta Lewis, Milton Brown, Janine Johnson, Tahira Jumah, Michael Lloyd Pinq, Delroy G. Pinnock, Peter Lamarr, Jay Harvey, Kitty Corbin, Pearly Gates, Noel McKoy, and loads more.

and all your names and the names of your guests and friends will be ready on the guest list for Saturday night.

Social source share

Final chance

I do hope lots of you are coming tonight to our wonderful launch party at Ramshackle, for "Soul Steppers". Loads of acts performing, including The Flirtations, Rosetta Hightower, Donna Williams, The Concentrations, Laverta Lewis, Milton Brown, Janine Johnson, Tahira Jumah, Michael Lloyd Pinq, Delroy G. Pinnock, Peter Lamarr, Jay Harvey, Kitty Corbin, Pearly Gates, Noel McKoy, and loads more.

===

have a good nite ian,,sorry cant make due to djing commitments...

Social source share

have a good nite ian,,sorry cant make due to djing commitments...

I have to publicly thank Ian Dewhirst from the bottom of my heart for finding such a bloody fantastic venue for us to have our launch last night.

Sixteen songs got performed and the venue was stunningly perfect - the best yet.

Social source share

it sounds like it all went well last night for you ian im pleased for you and everybody involved will you be posting up any vids or more info about last night???,

Didn't get to film last night. But loads of videos still to be posted up on YouTube from Soul Steppers - I just wanted to stagger them a bit.

Social source share

Guest Soulie007

Hello,I quite like some of the work Ian has produced over the years but I must stress I do not wish to be involved in the slanging matches I have read on this thread.

Ian, please can you inform me as to what Ebony Alleyne is doing now and if you will be working with her again. I have checked her My Space Site but it states she has not logged in for a few months now so she has not updated it.

Thanks.

Social source share

Hello,I quite like some of the work Ian has produced over the years but I must stress I do not wish to be involved in the slanging matches I have read on this thread.

Ian, please can you inform me as to what Ebony Alleyne is doing now and if you will be working with her again. I have checked her My Space Site but it states she has not logged in for a few months now so she has not updated it.

Thanks.

There is a brand new song by her on "Soul Steppers". We only recorded it in February, last month.

Please watch this and you can see a clip from it in here, sixth song in. She has now become a barrister.

"> Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Neither do I. And if you notice, I haven't been.

Social source share

Neither do I. And if you notice, I haven't been.

I have talked to quite a few people since its' release , about how good " Soul Steppers " is , and when I done so , the one word that we are in agreement on , is the overall quality of the material contained within the album .

Well done Ian : it has been worth the effort .

Malc Burton

Social source share

I have talked to quite a few people since its' release , about how good " Soul Steppers " is , and when I done so , the one word that we are in agreement on , is the overall quality of the material contained within the album .

Thankyou.

Now we need people to buy it so Wienerworld are glad they pressed it.

Right now we're in the middle of recording "Northern Soul 2009" and I want to make sure it has a safe home.

Social source share

Malc Burton

Thankyou again Malc, and as you love it so much, please do a customer review on Amazon, and you know I will be most grateful.

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Je pense que Ian Latrine's vidos serait mieux si il a laiss sur le capuchon d'objectif. Que pensez-vous Nico?

:thumbup:

Edited by Scarborosoul
Social source share

Wasnt Leee David the lead singer of Lynx??

Rick

You are thinking of David Grant .

Leee John was the singer with Imagination , whilst DG was the vocalist with Lynx .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Thankyou again Malc, and as you love it so much, please do a customer review on Amazon, and you know I will be most grateful.

Will do Mon Capitain : a pleasure to do so .

Malc Burton

Social source share

So far everyone who had one of my amazing soul packs has raved about them.

Pete Smith very kindly found a few genuine customers for me.

It's been great to see, when people collected them in person, how their eyes lit up when they looked through.

To anyone who collects across the board soul, they are unmatchable by anyone else anywhere in the world, at that price, and out of nearly twenty people, I believe every one of them has been more than pleased with what they got.

I'm now about halfway through sorting the eighty thousand, so still loads left, but once I finish, it's over and done.

Social source share

Especially for Cunnie, and every one else too.

Here's THE one you've all been waiting for.

Delroy G. Pinnock - Halfway To Your Heart

">
Social source share

Played it last Friday at our Modernism night & it sounded even better loud.

Also had a few folks asking what it was & all of the feedback was positive.

I'm so grateful, and I only wish there were more like you.

You really have my appreciation and my gratitude, and I dedicate this video especially to you.

Social source share

Thanks Ian :thumbsup:

Played it last Friday at our Modernism night & it sounded even better loud.

Also had a few folks asking what it was & all of the feedback was positive.

I will confirm Martin's statement Ian ........

I was at Modernism that night , and the reception to the track was very positive .

Malc Burton

Social source share

I will confirm Martin's statement Ian ........

I was at Modernism that night , and the reception to the track was very positive .

Malc Burton

Ian - a question for you .......

Record producers - past and present - who have you admired / who do you admire , and for what reasons ?

Examples of particular recordings those producers have worked on , would be appreciated , and the reasons why you have chosen them .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Which is now released (well tomorrow anyway) and available for sale at only £10.00. With the great "Under Lock & Key" on the other side.

Hello,

Yes it sounds great on vinyl.

And it was very nice to meet you on Friday, Phil. I'll get the drinks next time. :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Which is now released (well tomorrow anyway) and available for sale at only £10.00. With the great "Under Lock & Key" on the other side.

How fabulous and exciting

Social source share

And I just thought that we should actually remind everyone how joyfully, exhuberantly brilliant that song truly is...

">
Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

People around the world (and yes I have fans from Buenos Aries to Malaysia), who care about decent soul, and aren't blinkered by obsessive collectors mentalities, or the age of a record, or how it was made, or whether it was on vinyl or not, as long as the song, vocal, and overall feel are good.

And I have fans from 14 to 70, and four million hits on YouTube.

My worst critics are many of the members of Soul Source, unfortunately, which is a bit ironic, as you'd think, basically, they'd be the audience most receptive to my material, but that has never never never been the case. In fact, if my only audience was this one, I think I'd be sweeping the streets.

You say "decent soul" but its DISCO

Social source share

You say "decent soul" but its DISCO

Rubbish, what utter rubbish. What on Earth possesses you to make such an outrageous untrue and inane statement ????

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Without breaking forum rules, and being rude, I am still simply reeling from this utter nonsense.

Not saying its a bad track for what it is.

But soul, sorry it sounds to much like a Disco to me

Social source share

Which track are you talking about that you say sounds like Disco ?????

Social source share

The post you quoted, from page one of twenty pages, had no track attached. So without being psychic, I haven't a clue which one you're talking about. If it's Peter Lamarr that you're calling disco, I shall be unable to prevent myself PMSL.

DISCO ???????????????????????????????????????

Social source share