Southside Soul Club Mid-Late 80's

As I'm now into my 2nd half century and my memory slowly sliding into the abyss, I'd like anyone who has any thoughts, memories or pics from these days to share. We had some fantastic nights down there and there must be loads of stories so c'mon don't be shy. Let's have a look!

I remember in the early days before Richard Saint was the doorman I had to hurl myself head first from the top of the stairwell to knock back a few local youths who were under age and had bottles in their hands. Luckily I won that one.:thumbsup:

I also remember Geoff Buckley falling headfirst down the same stairs, worse for wear, and his record box exploding everywhere.:thumbsup:

It all began with a fund raiser to bring Lenny's body back from France after his tragic swimming accident. First time I met Backdoor Kenny!

Dj's (the one's I can remember) throughout the clubs life were Dave Evison, Ady Croasdel, Ian Clark, Keb Darge, Scotch John, Guy Hennigan, Mick Atherton, Swish, Rob Marriot, Dave Moore, Val Palmer, Roger Stewart, Geoff Buckley, Roger Banks, Tony Smith, Ion, Matt Simpson,

Sorry if I've missed anyone.

These were the days when I first met a lot of good friends.

Would be good to share some of the fun we had.

Regards

Kev

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I remember the Alexandra and made many a trip down there. I remember the cloth black and white walls,( if I am right?). Do you know what Richard Saint is up to now? He went out with my sister for some time too. Brilliant bloke. Obviously a night/event that sticks in my mind is when the '01 for London' filming took place there. I am convinced that we still have it somewhere on video. I remember Val's interview on it most, as I always knocked about with her at the time. There is about a two second bit where Nick and I are dancing in the background. I will try to get Nick to hunt the video down. I remember always having a really good time there, and it was always crowded wasn't it?

All The Best,

Dawn

Social source share

Hi,

I walked past the Alex a few weeks ago and it made me think what a healthy soul scene London had back in the 80s. The 100 Club in its prime, a hardcore who travelled to niters every week and a host of other good soul nights and niters. London wasn't blighted by the blind oldies attitude so you heard a really good mix of northern at many dos.

I always enjoyed DJing at the Alex as the crowd were a mixed bunch or northern scene regulars and locals who came for whatever soul/funk or jazz was being spun that night. You could play pretty much what you wanted provided it worked so corny oldies could sit alongside c/us and noone blinked. I wish there was as open-minded and young a crowd around now.

Somehow all my recollections of the Alex are of drinking a bit too much. I particularly remember me Craig Brick and I think Kev Moore rolling out and the deciding to go the Dunstable allnighter. A foreign minicab driver approached us and I convinced him that Dunstable was 'North London' - I think he got a bit worried as we steamed past the M1 services but we got there in the end.

Good times indeed, and well done to Kev.

All best

Ion

Social source share

I remember the Alexandra and made many a trip down there. I remember the cloth black and white walls,( if I am right?). Do you know what Richard Saint is up to now? He went out with my sister for some time too. Brilliant bloke. Obviously a night/event that sticks in my mind is when the '01 for London' filming took place there. I am convinced that we still have it somewhere on video. I remember Val's interview on it most, as I always knocked about with her at the time. There is about a two second bit where Nick and I are dancing in the background. I will try to get Nick to hunt the video down. I remember always having a really good time there, and it was always crowded wasn't it?

All The Best,

Dawn

Top bloke Richard Saint and worth every penny. The last time I saw him was on the door of THE BRAIN. I wonder what he's up to now?

There was always a healthy mix of music and people down there. With the 3 different nights we ran we ended up giving 10,000 membership cards out over the 4/5 yrs.

I never got a copy of the 01 footage with Keb dancing but last saw it on a screen at Walls of Heartache.

Film crews came down there quite a few times. I remember one with Ady talking about the new Shrine releases and Val Palmer relating how she moved into Northern via collecting The Beatles and Tamla Motown. The last time was Network 7 (a kids late afternoon media show). I got news that they wouldn't air it because the painted backdrops were too rude!:lol:

post-13983-0-91467200-1299695018_thumb.j

Quite a few friendships made there. Here's the Serri brothers. Some of them went on to join an International dance troupe. And Lemonade Boy from Brixton. His first ever club. We looked after him. He's a lawyer now and says The Alex shaped his outlook on life. That's nice!

post-13983-0-12919700-1299695331_thumb.j

post-13983-0-78331000-1299695473_thumb.j

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

That was my box that exploded. Keb on one side, Guy on the other, gathering up UK Demos from the rain sodden street. :lol:

Regards,

Dave

Soz Dave I thought it was Geoff the great trainspotter. You always rocked the place with your British collection!

Kev

Social source share

Hi,

I walked past the Alex a few weeks ago and it made me think what a healthy soul scene London had back in the 80s. The 100 Club in its prime, a hardcore who travelled to niters every week and a host of other good soul nights and niters. London wasn't blighted by the blind oldies attitude so you heard a really good mix of northern at many dos.

I always enjoyed DJing at the Alex as the crowd were a mixed bunch or northern scene regulars and locals who came for whatever soul/funk or jazz was being spun that night. You could play pretty much what you wanted provided it worked so corny oldies could sit alongside c/us and noone blinked. I wish there was as open-minded and young a crowd around now.

Somehow all my recollections of the Alex are of drinking a bit too much. I particularly remember me Craig Brick and I think Kev Moore rolling out and the deciding to go the Dunstable allnighter. A foreign minicab driver approached us and I convinced him that Dunstable was 'North London' - I think he got a bit worried as we steamed past the M1 services but we got there in the end.

Good times indeed, and well done to Kev.

All best

Ion

Hi Ion. i think I remember that night. Was it the one where the venue had been changed at the last minute and we ended up at one of John Buck's allnighters, arriving there at 7.00am.:lol:

post-13983-0-52382700-1299700138_thumb.j

Best

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I had my handbag nicked there. Glass always half empty, me.

Seriously, it was an excellent night and I hasten to add, the bag was taken by an 'outsider'. Kate Sharkey's twin had his coat nicked the same night.

When I reported the theft, the Police couldn't believe that I'd left the bag on one side, occasionally going back just to get my cigs because "there's no need to keep an eye on your things at a Soul night"

By Scotch John, do you mean John Walker Kev?

One of my favourite memories is of two local attractive blondes jiggling about in front of the decks, trying to get noticed by any of the DJs. And Tony Smith and Dennis Barton up there, poring over some obscure label together, cigs in mouths, completely oblivious to them.

Social source share

I had my handbag nicked there. Glass always half empty, me.

Seriously, it was an excellent night and I hasten to add, the bag was taken by an 'outsider'. Kate Sharkey's twin had his coat nicked the same night.

When I reported the theft, the Police couldn't believe that I'd left the bag on one side, occasionally going back just to get my cigs because "there's no need to keep an eye on your things at a Soul night"

By Scotch John, do you mean John Walker Kev?

One of my favourite memories is of two local attractive blondes jiggling about in front of the decks, trying to get noticed by any of the DJs. And Tony Smith and Dennis Barton up there, poring over some obscure label together, cigs in mouths, completely oblivious to them.

:lol: That really sums up what The Alex was like. Spot on crazy Northern behaviour. I'm sure there are hundreds of stories.

I remember buying my 2nd copy of The Delegates of Soul on Up Look records for £25, putting it on the bar, turning round to speak to someone for a few seconds, turning back and it was gone! It never did come running back.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

I remember I had quite the silver tongue in those days and remember persuading Scotch John (Walker) that I deserved his US Dunhill W/D of Willie Hutch more than him and he flogged it to me for £30! We were sat at the back of the top of a double decker bus that Ion had hired to ferry people to Edmonton? for yet another late allnighter venue change.

Last I heard John had been awol from the Foreign Legion or something and had returned there ....or been dragged back, but i'm sure that's probably just idle gossip.

I remember now that Pablo (the chef from Milton Keynes) did some djing for us in the early days. I wonder where he is now?

Best

Kev

Social source share

Hi Kev,

That'll be the one pal! I think the Alex and the journey were better than the niter but there we go! Hope you are well and look forward to seeing you soon. All best. Ion

I remember when you let me borrow your play box for a couple of weeks to tape your records Ion. Nice education that was and much appreciated. There was a good feel about everything in those days for sure. I remember being told off by someone for playing Flowershop YCALWB when Tamala Lewis was sitting at the back of my box.laugh.gif Were you there the night the French students turned up, set out a tablecloth in the middle of the dancefloor and had a picnic for half an hour.laugh.gif

Hope to see you around soon too. :lol:

Best

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

I remember Rosie Hightower's husband ringing me when he saw this poster in the downstairs window. He and Rosie lived down the road in Tooting. I arranged for me and Pete Lawson to meet up with her for an interview in one of the local pubs.....but that's another story. We almost got her back to my flat with promises of vodka, great music and a plate of Lancashire jam butties.:lol:

.post-13983-0-86773600-1299710185_thumb.j

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Always a place in my heart, Kev, as my introduction to the northern soul scene! Before that the soul scene for me was my bedroom and a pile of Kent LPs, and no idea that there was anywhere to go that actually played this amazing music. And all because you were happy to reach out to new people and sensible enough to put the do in Time Out. I remember the excitement of seeing the words... northern soul! And it was at the Alexander that I picked up my first flier for the 100 Club...

Edited by ben summers
Social source share

Always a place in my heart, Kev, as my introduction to the northern soul scene! Before that the soul scene for me was my bedroom and a pile of Kent LPs, and no idea that there was anywhere to go that actually played this amazing music. And all because you were happy to reach out to new people and sensible enough to put the do in Time Out. I remember the excitement of seeing the words... northern soul! And it was at the Alexander that I picked up my first flier for the 100 Club...

I never knew that Ben. quite a few people I've met over the years have mentioned it was their first Northern Soul Club. We advertised in Echoes Time Out & City Limits and I remember trawling all the local art schools every week thinking they're the more broadminded punters to aim at.

We did send quite a few towards the 100club during that time.

Sorry i can't make Boogaloo on Sat as I'll be at Prestatyn. Have a good one!

Kev

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Here's that pic geeselad...formally known as Kenny with Dave. I remember you did dj down there for us a few times and if I remember correctly did a sterling job too!:sweatingbullets:

Oh my god, thanksfully I've lost a few ibs since then!!!!!!!!! I'm on the left with me old mucker Dave C

Social source share

I was studying @ st martins when I met you Kev, djing in our coffee bar, the Alex introduced me to so many folks on the scene, and reading this so much has come flooding back, those drapes wow! So many names mentioned on here have conected names to faces as I remember talking heavy vinyl with dennis Ben and Mat especially on many occasions. I'm sure I've got a flyer somewhere, musically Kev playing Jackie Beavers and Little Johhny Hamilton, and hearing John and the weirdest for the first time and darting over to ask Tony smith wha it was. I 'm certain I recalled asking you why you'd rigged up a pulley system to keep the lids on the deck up, 'why dont you take them off Kev?' I asked. :lol:

Social source share

I was studying @ st martins when I met you Kev, djing in our coffee bar, the Alex introduced me to so many folks on the scene, and reading this so much has come flooding back, those drapes wow! So many names mentioned on here have conected names to faces as I remember talking heavy vinyl with dennis Ben and Mat especially on many occasions. I'm sure I've got a flyer somewhere, musically Kev playing Jackie Beavers and Little Johhny Hamilton, and hearing John and the weirdest for the first time and darting over to ask Tony smith wha it was. I 'm certain I recalled asking you why you'd rigged up a pulley system to keep the lids on the deck up, 'why dont you take them off Kev?' I asked. :ohmy:

That's funny.Made me laugh :lol::yes: :yes:

I remember we chained a huge bass bin to the ceiling joist directly over the dancefloor. I prayed every night for weeks that it wouldn't come crashing down killing god knows how many dancers and giving us BIG headlines in The South London Press.!!

One of the things I liked about the place is that Geoff and me built the place from scratch,. dancefloor, electrics, console, cloakroom, fire exit. We purposely built it to turn it into a club that could have a 2 O'clock liscence. Something that didn't happen in that area at all.

If you can find that flyer could you post it up. I'm trying to contact Keiron as he has all the promotional stuff from those days. I lent him them as he was compiling a book on the history of clubs in the Brixton/Clapham area but I've now lost touch with him.

Best

Kev

Anyone remember THE DANCE CHASE nights and THE HIGH NOTE CLUB!!

Ion, do you think there'd be enough interest in trying to get a reunion together??

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Great stories everyone, I was definitely there a good few times. Lennys memorial one stands out as it was very emotional and if I remember rightly his family were there too.

Great days, also Kev I remember when you supplied the equipment from the Alex for the Labour party ( Val Palmer was Djing) Christmas party and we both had to go and get it at the last minute :ohmy:

Social source share

Great stories everyone, I was definitely there a good few times. Lennys memorial one stands out as it was very emotional and if I remember rightly his family were there too.

Great days, also Kev I remember when you supplied the equipment from the Alex for the Labour party ( Val Palmer was Djing) Christmas party and we both had to go and get it at the last minute :ohmy:

Mark

Lenny's sad death was the start of it all. we'd been running The Dance Chase for over a year by then but the Northern nights began with that fundraiser. Yes his family were there that night. I didn't know him from Stafford as I was a non-attender but we became good mates when I moved to Clapham. He was going out with Teresa my girlfriend Debbie's best mate at the time he died. A sad loss. I still have a couple of records his sister gave me as a reminder of him.

I also remember that Lenny's labrador dog MAX turned up at the Alex one night , not long after his funeral, and Teresa followed it home only to find it was locked in the house. (I kid you not)

Always was a wild one Lenny.:lol:

I remember the Labour party do. I was playing stuff like Garfield Fleming and The Seven Souls at that Xmas Party. Also remember dancing with Glynnis Kinnock to a Marvin Gaye record. I bumped into John Prescott in the bogs and pleaded with him to sort things out if he ever got into power as, I quote, (Its mighty shit out there). I bumped into him years later outside the Guardi Cathedral in Barcelona but didn't have the heart to remind him, (Its still mighty shit out there.):yes:

See you at the next Majestic hopefully.

Best

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Yeh some top times, good topic Kev some good story's..............biggrin.gif

Hi Ken.

Seems a long long time ago since we first met that sad day at The Alex.:lol:

It did however spark some fantastic soul nights and longstanding friendships :hatsoff2: .

best

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Hi Kev,

Lenny, and the Alex were my intro to northern soul.......fantastic times! Richard was taxi to after parties. Reunion......i'd be there.

all the best

Marion

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert