Radcliffe Rammed

Well, well, what can I say, we almost missed this night, no not because we got carried away with the wonderful music at Boomerang or the fact that we had to make a detour because the M62 was closed for 2 junctions Westbound but had Chris forgotten to text me 3 times,e-mail me 3 times,sent a message by Pony Express, Carrier Pigeon, Cycle courier,St Bernard rescue dog & Morse Code tapped out on venues main stench pipe, I'd have never known it was on, What a surprise!!!!!laugh.gif It would also have been nice had Boomerang had a sign at the door or did an announcement informing people that after the finale there they could trip the light fantastic over the border & at a discounted rate, just a thought for future referenceg.gif .

After said evening at Thorne & said detour down country lanes etc we landed at about 12:15'ish to be greeted by cars parked everywhere & on every bit of spare ground, reminded me a little of parking at Keele for some reason, don't ask why, it just did!!!unsure.gif Loads of people outside, were they all smokers or was it sh**e & they had to get out?,was it a mistake to leave Thorne & the safe haven of Yorkshire?? Was it hell, cos the usual suspects were there on the door step, Dave Rivers,Toby, Steve P, Jimmy,Shorny etc, now a heart stopping moment occurred next, Big Paul & Gail had gone ahead to pay but as I enter Chris blindsides me by asking for £15, them buggars have made off with my money I think, the robbing sods, but as I feel myself drifting into the abbyss & passing out, as I might have to pay twicesweatingbullets.gif , I hear a sweet soothing voice exclaim, "Chris, Chris, They've paid,they've paid, you daft sod", never have so few word meant so much, thank you Marcelle, remember were not tight us Yorkshire Gents, just extremely careful, my recompense is a hand shake & a "Alright Kidda" fom Chris followed by a wrist band & kiss from Marcelle, then in we go to a cacophony of sound both musical & vocal, the type that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up & shiver but without chemical assistance. The foyer reminded me of Bury Town Hall but with greenery & record dealers including my,"Where did you get that shirt,where did you get that shirt" mate Roger Banks with the fabulous Jennywub.gif . Main bar on the left up step/ramp & with plenty of staff & seating.thumbsup.gif

Before heading into the Main room I'm shocked but pleasantly suprised to bump into the lovely Donna & Brigitte (Mrs Mick) who are with Dj's Mick & Mo, also Headsy who is with Hoss & Tracy, the York crowd are here in the guise of Ian & Deb,Stevo & Sharon,Patto, Sue Warwick & Richard B also along for the ride in the main room are Steve LeAir & Bev, Paul & Gill Feeney, Imberboy,Paul Stead,Dusty,Nesta & Vic,Mary Lou, Kate who we not seen for 8 weeks(thought she'd gone back to being a biker chick)& Karl plus lots of faces I do & don't recognise & blow me down with a feather, the Barbara Winsor of Bury(Barmaid style not person) behind the bar Jayne "Don't call me Bett" Malone, a fine job she did too, still there at nights end whilst the youth was wiltingthumbup.gif .

The Main room was ideal, almost identical to the old Middleton, high stage, excellent dancefloor,3 entrances/exits & 3 sides of ample tables with seating, we joined our table of waifs & strays spending most of the proceedings there or outside in the foyer or Tab end alley where it was cool. The floor remained full from our arrival till being ushered out by the cleaners & though the emphasis was on oldies they loved it & I was especially impressed with Steve Thomas & Chalky's sets, though none could be faulted, Oldies wisebiggrin.gif . I wander past the room of Satan's sounds & even ventured a glance in (No I wasn't struck down by the Great Lord Protector of Northern Soul, thats because I'm pure & innocent & of good virtueinnocent.gif ), Stevie T, Steve Cato, Joe Dutton & Co seemed to be having the time of their life in a decent size room with another very good dancefloor but I was strong & resisted, the force was with me & I managed to escape it's pulldiablo.gif . Next on the itinerary was the Modern room were I propped up the wall with my best Hovis of the Valley mates Col & Shirl who I think were with Howard Earn, though he was outside regaling his full repertoire of stories & bad jokes to some unsuspecting & innocent bystander,whats can I say other than the place was wall to wall bodies with the inner circle of Louby & Maria plus God knows who else,hypo.gif as you couldn't see faces through the gyrating bodies & bottoms shhh.gif (Allegedly) infact I didn't realise there was actually a dancefloor till someone told me later,they all danced the night away with Mr Woomble, Rushton & Ring Master Sean Livesey, I had to leave after a short while, NO not because of the Bottom's gyratingblush.gif , it was the heat I tell you, honest M'Lord but I did return on a few occasions, just for a health & safety check you knowwhistling.gif .

Other than to say Marcelle the kisses I can stand, infact quiet enjoy but the hat was, wellg.gif a bridge to far, it reminded me of the hats Donkeys, with silly names like Mabel, wear on Blackpool beach to shade their brain & the Torch (Or whatever it was) in the mouth while dancing with the hat on was bloody scary,it looked like you were breathing fire & we all know your not a fire breathing Dragon but I almost ran from the premises screaming at the sight of itlaugh.gif ,remember dear, deportment & elegance are the order of the day but thats by the by my lovely, so well done Chris, Marcelle, Kev,Andy & any backroom boys I've missed, this place could be a massive hit.yes.gif

Take care, be safe & remember,"The Devil went down to Georgia,looking for a Soul to steal,he was in a bind, 'cause he was way behind,And he was willin' to make a deal",

Spot.shades.gif

• Replies 60
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Are you sayin you liked it then Spot? laugh.gif

Wish we'd known you were leavin Thorne at a similar time to us, then we could've followed you through those mad diversions! I swear we drove past those massive satanic mill-type smoking chimneys 17 times en route to Radcliffe. Karen Burke very kindly gave us a little signed pass thing so we'd get our NCS discount, so apart from the diesel for the 540-mile round trip, the new dress, killer heels etc, it was a cheap night out laugh.gif

Top drawer night all round, and loads of crumpet at Radcliffe, so all you single ladies get yourselves down there for the next one!

T x

It would also have been nice had Boomerang had a sign at the door or did an announcement informing people that after the finale there they could trip the light fantastic over the border & at a discounted rate, just a thought for future reference.

Er, didn't think a sign incentivising early departure for other events on the same night, was appropriate. But I had posted in the Events setion about the attendance confirmation note being available from the door (I just couldn't remember which allniter was offering the discount :lol: ), then designed the form, etc for Karen to fill in and sign/stamp at the door for those who asked.

To be honest, I'd rather the allniter told us about it directly within our events postings, as I don't have time to read everyone else's sections and I'd hate to misunderstand a post and advertise a discount incorrectly.

...Given all my travel lately, I have enough trouble reading my cereal box some mornings :thumbup:

Glad you had a good night regardless and a big thanks to the niter promoters for thinking of the soul night

m

ps. copy of unsigned note attached for anyone else interested in doing the same (and as a heartache & souvenir for Spot :no: )

post-3480-12494211114604_thumb.jpg

What an ace night. Got to say I was a bit gobsmacked really with the superb-ness of it all........

Thanks for all the kind words about the modern room - it seemed to gel really well, with a really receptive, up-for-it and open minded crowd.

Congrats to all involved, here's to next time! (Boxing day would be fab chaps :thumbup: ..... The Tigers are at Old Trafford - A possibly monstrous day out on the cards?..... )

Muchos thanks to Jayne for putting me & Louby up, and the same to Mr Livesey for the invite to be part of this fantastic new event.

(And thanks to Roger for playing the truly wonderous E Williams 'Trade my Soul To The Devil' for me in the middle room :lol: )

Er, didn't think a sign incentivising early departure for other events on the same night, was appropriate. But I had posted in the Events setion about the attendance confirmation note being available from the door (I just couldn't remember which allniter was offering the discount rolleyes.gif ), then designed the form, etc for Karen to fill in and sign/stamp at the door for those who asked.

To be honest, I'd rather the allniter told us about it directly within our events postings, as I don't have time to read everyone else's sections and I'd hate to misunderstand a post and advertise a discount incorrectly.

...Given all my travel lately, I have enough trouble reading my cereal box some mornings tongue.gif

Glad you had a good night regardless and a big thanks to the niter promoters for thinking of the soul night

m

ps. copy of unsigned note attached for anyone else interested in doing the same (and as a heartache & souvenir for Spot biggrin.gif )

Maria,

Wasn't a complaint or personal slight, merely an idea to stick in the collection box of ideas to be exhumed at a later date possibly, also I obviously didn't realise that you had already done most of the spade work on Events post & discount formsblush.gif , where are the men when you need them to help? Typical, as me Nana would have said, "They're neither use nor ornament"laugh.gif . I understand you not wanting any venue to deplete early but the Radcliffe was only 45 min's away so if people left at end they'd be there before 2am & Myself, Andy Dyson or even Theresa could have told you which Nighter BUT I understand how stressed & run ragged you must have been sorting out the days proceedings & Sam Birthday & a house full of guests etc, so I'm sorry for bringing it upshhh.gif . Anyway we still had a top night as always, in fact never had a bad one at Thorne, how could we with good friends,good music & 11 min's driver from my front doorthumbup.gif .

Take care,be safe & remember,"I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places, that this heart of mine embraces",

Spot.shades.gif

Thouroughly enjoyed my night!!! Can't really comment on the main room as the R&B room was too good to miss.

Great to see Ezzie, Hoss, Tracy, Headsey (on form as always, lol), Steve H, Rob and Rob, Kev Kus, Kaz and Gaz, Longy.......................etc, etc.

Brilliant venue, couldn't have been better really!!!

Roll on the next one!!!

Carol :P

Yep, have to say everyone has been spot on with their views, those who missed it -

shame...... You'll just have to try harder for the next one!

Us Irish soulies do travel loads to events in England but have to say this one is up there

with the best of them. Three quality rooms, all playing top, top tunes. A handy bar/ chill

area (and decent bar prices too, beats Euro 5.20 a pint in Dublin hands down) and the result??

Loads of happy smiling faces, and about a thousand new friends!!

If the next one is HALF as good as this one it'll be a cracker.

Well done to all concerned

Had a great night, superb venue with the right atmosphere, you could tell all the folk's were really enjoying the night (well most of them :laugh: lol), great to speak to friend's old and new, music to suit all, only grumble was............where did the time go to:laugh:.

Well done Chris & Marcelle

Willie

Guest HindleyPhil

Ha ha ! not sure what you mean Jayne ? g.gif Eeh by gum ecky thump we did av a reet gud nite !! dint we.

Forgot to say a big massive THANK YOU to Chris, Marcelle & all involved in my earlier post.

Reet - Im off t'eat sum Yorkshire pudding now then walk mi whippet on Ilkley Moor.

lots of Yorkshire love

Al xxx

(The White Rose lady)

well then tit twas a reet gud un and as wilt try mi best tu get ta next un, dun hav fa travel 2 far mi beingt ta WIGAN lad

time fort go naw ast it nearly grub time and me bally tinks mi throat ast been cut

Edited by HindleyPhil

Source Advert