Your Favourite Anniversary Allnighter

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mines ?

3rd Anniversary at Morecambe Central Pier , huge venue busting at the seams with soulies and a top playlist of quality " modern " tunes that are still holding their own today ,

Ah memories !

thumbup.gif

the 3rd anniversary was a top night and musically not many other allnighters have had the mix that the pier had. from new discoveries like cleveland robinsons love is a trap to garfield fleming please dont send me away some excellent music and i am surprised with all the compilations out now a days that no ones done a morecambe pier one. the anniversary was packet out and the atmosphere was electric and i am not one for dancing comps but this one was ok i think vernon won it. definately one of the best allnighters i went to

Social source share

Mines ?

3rd Anniversary at Morecambe Central Pier , huge venue busting at the seams with soulies and a top playlist of quality " modern " tunes that are still holding their own today ,

Ah memories !

thumbup.gif

Funny, without having read any of the posts I was about to type exactly the same (three in a row has gotta say something about that night) - I was very much a pup in my first full year of nighters and just wasn't prepared for it - remember they were dancing on the balconies, tables... everywhere - I requested Catch Me - the DJ didn't have it so I lent him my 12" - he played the medium long rather than the insanely long cut (still have it) - the place just went off BANG. Went to the bogs (remember watching the sea through the hole?) and you could feel the whole pier bouncing. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous - even the slow train journey over from Hull picking up people at every stop - just an incredible buzz, some of the people I met that night remain friends to this day.

Dave

PS Remember 'She's My Girl (But She Was Your Girl First)' - the Majors(?) something like that - anyway RS had it covered for ages. Funny I'm considered very much a 60s, RnB and club sound man by my mates - when actually I bought more new releases than anything else in my early days, and still have most of em.

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Mines ?

Ah memories !

:thumbup:

The only that stands out is The Wilton 1st ann, the only reason it stands out because it was the 1st time I had been.

I've been to a few 100 Club anns put the 1st time I went was not a ann.

I only went to one ann at Wigan the 1st and it was no way near the best night I had there.

I went to Morecambe a good few times, but no idea if any were anns.:thumbup:

Social source share

Mine's (as if you couldnt tell) are ALL the Bradford Queens Hall anniversaries

The reason .... they were just awesome. Northern upstairs & Modern downstairs with plenty of people mixing between the two rooms. Some did frown on this act but hey ho I was well up for both rooms.

I s'pose because ALL of my top nights were spent at BQH its hard to pin point the anniversay as been the best anniversary nighter but I guess they must have been.

Wilton Ballroom anniversaries of course come 2nd to my beloved BQH and not just cos of the quality of the night but they do give out the best anniversary gifts. Classy pin badges 2003 was a record box design,2004 was a record in a white sleeve design,2008 blue rock label design pin badge ... oh the list is endless.

So Bradford Queens Hall in 1st place with Wilton Ballroom coming in 2nd

ATB

Ali x

Social source share

Mine's (as if you couldnt tell) are ALL the Bradford Queens Hall anniversaries

The reason .... they were just awesome. Northern upstairs & Modern downstairs with plenty of people mixing between the two rooms. Some did frown on this act but hey ho I was well up for both rooms.

I s'pose because ALL of my top nights were spent at BQH its hard to pin point the anniversay as been the best anniversary nighter but I guess they must have been.

Wilton Ballroom anniversaries of course come 2nd to my beloved BQH and not just cos of the quality of the night but they do give out the best anniversary gifts. Classy pin badges 2003 was a record box design,2004 was a record in a white sleeve design,2008 blue rock label design pin badge ... oh the list is endless.

So Bradford Queens Hall in 1st place with Wilton Ballroom coming in 2nd

ATB

Ali x

Never that bothered on the Anniversaries at Bradford - probably coz EVERY night was as good as it got (ALWAYS went to Bradford in preference to anywhere else - even when I had to coach it on my own from Oxford when the 100 Club was on - 11 hours once, it was a stopper) - specially when it briefly went 2 weekly (and everyone was pushing for weekly - and it would have gone too had the police not 'miraculously' uncovered a fire in the toilets that no one else saw) - easily the best northern period of my life - would sell my house and move to Bradford in an instant if someone could resurrect it like it was. I remember Pete insanely off his head wrestling with handfulls of notes trying to pay us in - gave em £50 - took back £10, then gave em £5 then grabbed the lot - I had to wade in coz it was getting stupid and a crowd was forming to watch the floor show, or when they sent out a search party for me and Brian Rae coz they thought we'd been turned over (lot of squad about at the time) - coz we were verballing in the car for 4 hours! Mickey Cruise being carried in out of the back of the red van the Newcastle lads used to come in. Lovey dovey on MDA and experiencing tinsel toes for the first time down stairs when they first started playing soulful garage before the seriously dodgy ravers spoiled it. Remember the group of squad who were well into northern and always danced next to Gary Taylor, Mark Walmsley, Graham, Netty, Kath Jenkins, Scouse and all that lot in front of the back stairs entrance?

Dave

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

PS Remember 'She's My Girl (But She Was Your Girl First)' - the Majors(?) something like that - anyway RS had it covered for ages. Funny I'm considered very much a 60s, RnB and club sound man by my mates - when actually I bought more new releases than anything else in my early days, and still have most of em.

7th Wonder - She's My Girl (But She Was Your Girl First) on T Town records

Social source share

7th Wonder - She's My Girl (But She Was Your Girl First) on T Town records

That's the one - pretty sure the Majors was the cover name - was really scarce even when it was uncovered, remember Kath Jenkins from Gloucester shared ownership of a copy with Mark Everdon from Swindon.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Never that bothered on the Anniversaries at Bradford - probably coz EVERY night was as good as it got (ALWAYS went to Bradford in preference to anywhere else - even when I had to coach it on my own from Oxford when the 100 Club was on - 11 hours once, it was a stopper) - specially when it briefly went 2 weekly (and everyone was pushing for weekly - and it would have gone too had the police not 'miraculously' uncovered a fire in the toilets that no one else saw) - easily the best northern period of my life - would sell my house and move to Bradford in an instant if someone could resurrect it like it was. I remember Pete insanely off his head wrestling with handfulls of notes trying to pay us in - gave em £50 - took back £10, then gave em £5 then grabbed the lot - I had to wade in coz it was getting stupid and a crowd was forming to watch the floor show, or when they sent out a search party for me and Brian Rae coz they thought we'd been turned over (lot of squad about at the time) - coz we were verballing in the car for 4 hours! Mickey Cruise being carried in out of the back of the red van the Newcastle lads used to come in. Lovey dovey on MDA and experiencing tinsel toes for the first time down stairs when they first started playing soulful garage before the seriously dodgy ravers spoiled it. Remember the group of squad who were well into northern and always danced next to Gary Taylor, Mark Walmsley, Graham, Netty, Kath Jenkins, Scouse and all that lot in front of the back stairs entrance?

Dave

pmsl Dave at your post. All those people you mentioned I know (apart from the squad of course!) so maybe our paths have crossed.

When I was upstairs I used to hang around the edge of the stage with the Newcastle crowd (not too far from the back stairs) with people like Gazza,Snowden,Jaxy oh damm & loads more who's name escapes me at the mo. Sometimes used to stand in front of the stage with the Hull crowd & South Yorkshire folk.

When I was up I was up & when I was downstairs I was at the side where the snooker table used to be but the opposite end (near the little stage). I loved both rooms at different stages of BQH and I cant remember any dodgy ravers spoiling downstairs - but there again where did I leave my whistle & glow in the dark gloves (tee hee hee!).

Great to hear your recollection of those wonderful days.

ATB

Ali x

Social source share

pmsl Dave at your post. All those people you mentioned I know (apart from the squad of course!) so maybe our paths have crossed.

When I was upstairs I used to hang around the edge of the stage with the Newcastle crowd (not too far from the back stairs) with people like Gazza,Snowden,Jaxy oh damm & loads more who's name escapes me at the mo. Sometimes used to stand in front of the stage with the Hull crowd & South Yorkshire folk.

When I was up I was up & when I was downstairs I was at the side where the snooker table used to be but the opposite end (near the little stage). I loved both rooms at different stages of BQH and I cant remember any dodgy ravers spoiling downstairs - but there again where did I leave my whistle & glow in the dark gloves (tee hee hee!).

Great to hear your recollection of those wonderful days.

ATB

Ali x

Course they did - 2 weeks ago at Radcliffe apart from anywhere else. Didn't know any Hull crew at Bradford though I was fairly fesh out of college from there - apart fro Martin Midgley - who was really Bradford of course - never saw anyone I knew from Hull there other than the twins - who I didn't know when I was in Hull.

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

Course they did - 2 weeks ago at Radcliffe apart from anywhere else. Didn't know any Hull crew at Bradford though I was fairly fesh out of college from there - apart fro Martin Midgley - who was really Bradford of course - never saw anyone I knew from Hull there other than the twins - who I didn't know when I was in Hull.

Cheers

Dave

Cheeky !! & I've realised after reading another thread that our paths have crossed over the years.

It was great seeing you at Radcliffe & I'm glad that both of you are playing out again !!

The Hull crew that used to go to Bradford & stand at the front of the stage were a guy called Cal,his sister Joanna & their brother Mike (I wont mention their surnames as they might not like it). There were two brothers who also used travel from Hull with them but I dont think they were twins. Also a really tall guy called Mike (who I bumped into recently at Whitby). I havent seen Cal,Jo or Mike since Bradford but I am in touch with Jo from time to time so hoping to drag her out somewhere soon then you might recall them.

Anyway Dave .... not forgetting Pete. Welcome back ! & welcome to soul source !

ATB

Ali x

Social source share

Cheeky !! & I've realised after reading another thread that our paths have crossed over the years.

It was great seeing you at Radcliffe & I'm glad that both of you are playing out again !!

The Hull crew that used to go to Bradford & stand at the front of the stage were a guy called Cal,his sister Joanna & their brother Mike (I wont mention their surnames as they might not like it). There were two brothers who also used travel from Hull with them but I dont think they were twins. Also a really tall guy called Mike (who I bumped into recently at Whitby). I havent seen Cal,Jo or Mike since Bradford but I am in touch with Jo from time to time so hoping to drag her out somewhere soon then you might recall them.

Anyway Dave .... not forgetting Pete. Welcome back ! & welcome to soul source !

ATB

Ali x

Guys I knew in Hull were Striker, Bob Skewis, Sean and Chalky (all old Hull Drifters SC), and not forgetting Paul Madden of course and the fabulous Kate (coolest girl I ever met, she did the door in later years at the Griffin in Leeds). The twins were the most identical I've ever met, but I didn't meet em til about 1986. Used to travel to Peterborough regularly with Striker, Bob and Chalky as well as Martin Midgely on scooters in 83/84 (and occasionally Thorne in 85) and co-ran a soul night with Striker at the Adelphi in Hull (used to be murder to get people to turn out in them days - everyone was still on the funeral march after 1981), Brian Rae guested occasionally. Bob also used to put on a modern do at the Tower Ballroom next to the art college (where I went) on Anlaby Road - Sam used to come up for it - Bob's older brother was a close friend of Mr B's.

Really enjoyed Radcliffe - though I was a bit 'tired and emotional'.

Dave

Social source share

Guys I knew in Hull were Striker, Bob Skewis, Sean and Chalky (all old Hull Drifters SC), and not forgetting Paul Madden of course and the fabulous Kate (coolest girl I ever met, she did the door in later years at the Griffin in Leeds). The twins were the most identical I've ever met, but I didn't meet em til about 1986. Used to travel to Peterborough regularly with Striker, Bob and Chalky as well as Martin Midgely on scooters in 83/84 (and occasionally Thorne in 85) and co-ran a soul night with Striker at the Adelphi in Hull (used to be murder to get people to turn out in them days - everyone was still on the funeral march after 1981), Brian Rae guested occasionally. Bob also used to put on a modern do at the Tower Ballroom next to the art college (where I went) on Anlaby Road - Sam used to come up for it - Bob's older brother was a close friend of Mr B's.

Really enjoyed Radcliffe - though I was a bit 'tired and emotional'.

Dave

I can't remember when the Griffin All-Nighter in Leeds was, was it the early 90s?

There wasn't that many, I think I went to them all.

It was there that I got back in touch with Gary Fields from Leeds.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert