Godzilla

• Replies 101
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

In the photo, the backdrop look like something from the 50's and the trombone suggests he's the trombonist in a 'band', rather than a member of R&B / R&R beat combo, or is that a red herring? If not, is he xxxxx & the somethings? And his name is the same on the record?

I keep thinking of the likes of Bob Kuban, Frankie Ford, Bill Black's Combo, Am I barking up the right tree?

That's about three questions.

In order I'd say

No

No

Yes

Social source share

I keep thinking of the likes of Bob Kuban, Frankie Ford, Bill Black's Combo, Am I barking up the right tree?

oops - I missed that last question. I think naming a whole bunch of artists is cheating, but on this occasion I'll tell you it's none of them. So Yes - it's the wrong tree up which you are barking :thumbup:

Social source share

did we establish an instrument? did he play the trombone?

That's two questions. However we need to get this done tonight as I'm busy all day tomorrow and out in the evening so:

No you haven't established an instrument - but it doesn't matter to this quiz which one.

Yes he did play trombone. He was well known for it apparently. Makes no difference to this quiz as it's got really got anything to do with his Northern Soul record. Actually there are some but pretty low in the mix near the end so don't get hung up on the 'bone.

Social source share

( Teddy Vann)..thumbup.gif

Actually you're closer with teddy Not for his soul credentials though.

Time for more clues: as well as thinking about Teddy Vann I can tell you've I've already mentioned a word that's in the title of Mystery Guy's record in an earlier post. On purpose.

Social source share

its the flasher himself, lloyd micheals, without his mistura

about time you joined in Cod. Nope though. I see you've cottoned on to the jazz business but don't let that lead you astray. His Northern tune was a 'genre' type record but not jazz. As you can probably tell I'm near the end of the wine and getting close to bedtime...

Social source share

harry betts, without his fantastic plastic machine

Well done!!!

Harry Betts was a trombonist and arranger who later worked extensivelyin Hollywood. His first major gig was as a trombonist and arranger withStan Kentonin the early '50s, after which he settled in Hollywood, working intelevision and film as well as in the burgeoning jazz recording field.Betts worked with Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, June Christy, Shorty Rogers, Barney Kessel, Pete Rugolo, and Oscar Peterson during the 1950s, while in the 1960s he was associated with recordings by Sam Cooke (on Ain't That Good News), Carol Lawrence, Frank Sinatra, and Mel Tormé. During the 1970s, his work brought him into collaborations with such diverse artists as Bobby Sherman, Tower of Power, and Bruce Johnston. During the late '50s and early '60s, Betts was also closely associated with Choreo/AVA Records,for which he recorded his only album, The Jazz Soul of Doctor Kildare,in 1962, which featured a band of West Coast luminaries including Jack Sheldon, Milt Bernhart, Bud Shank, and Bill Perkins. ~ Bruce Eder, All Music Guide

Harry Betts (born 15 September, 1922) is a jazz composer and trombonist.

Born in New York and raised in Fresno, CA he has written and orchestrated soundtracks for several films, including The Fantastic Plastic Machine and Nice Dreams. Music from his 1972 soundtrack to Black Mama, White Mama was used in the 2003 soundtrack for Kill Bill, Volume 1.

Aside from his work in scoring, he is known for his 1962 album, The Jazz Soul of Doctor Kildare. He has done numerous arrangements for singer Jack Jones.

He was active as a jazz trombonist and played with Stan Kenton's orchestra in the 1950s, among others.

So: Epic - sub of Major label Columbia. Connections with black music/art - the Blaxploitation soundtrack Black Mama, White Mama. Closer to Al De Lory as a Jazzer and anyone else mentioned who did theme songs.

post-1918-12504540093238_thumb.png

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Well done!!!

i,d like to thank my family, freinds, god, all who made this award possible, please godzilla can we have another one

Harry Betts was a trombonist and arranger who later worked extensivelyin Hollywood. His first major gig was as a trombonist and arranger withStan Kentonin the early '50s, after which he settled in Hollywood, working intelevision and film as well as in the burgeoning jazz recording field.Betts worked with Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, June Christy, Shorty Rogers, Barney Kessel, Pete Rugolo, and Oscar Peterson during the 1950s, while in the 1960s he was associated with recordings by Sam Cooke (on Ain't That Good News), Carol Lawrence, Frank Sinatra, and Mel Torm. During the 1970s, his work brought him into collaborations with such diverse artists as Bobby Sherman, Tower of Power, and Bruce Johnston. During the late '50s and early '60s, Betts was also closely associated with Choreo/AVA Records,for which he recorded his only album, The Jazz Soul of Doctor Kildare,in 1962, which featured a band of West Coast luminaries including Jack Sheldon, Milt Bernhart, Bud Shank, and Bill Perkins. ~ Bruce Eder, All Music Guide

Harry Betts (born 15 September, 1922) is a jazz composer and trombonist.

Born in New York and raised in Fresno, CA he has written and orchestrated soundtracks for several films, including The Fantastic Plastic Machine and Nice Dreams. Music from his 1972 soundtrack to Black Mama, White Mama was used in the 2003 soundtrack for Kill Bill, Volume 1.

Aside from his work in scoring, he is known for his 1962 album, The Jazz Soul of Doctor Kildare. He has done numerous arrangements for singer Jack Jones.

He was active as a jazz trombonist and played with Stan Kenton's orchestra in the 1950s, among others.

So: Epic - sub of Major label Columbia. Connections with black music/art - the Blaxploitation soundtrack Black Mama, White Mama. Closer to Al De Lory as a Jazzer and anyone else mentioned who did theme songs.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert