Marsha Gee - Baby I Need You

• Replies 29
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I've had a copy donkey's years but how can I tell if it is legit or a boot? g.gif

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

Apparently on one press there is a Capitol "Daisy Stamp" in the DEAD WAX

Another press has the Triangle with 3 letters contained within it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However,

Uptown_704a.jpg

I bought 2 Copies from a Trusted Source in the 70's & I can't find a Stamp on either.

I will scan the record again as the above scan is from my old scanner.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Yep, "daisy wheel" also print quality is poor on some boots.

Oh, and play the B side if you haven't already. :(

Cheers,

John.

Marsha Gee - Baby I Need You -

Here's one of my copies, Although I'm unable to find a Daisy Stamp.

UPTOWN_704a-2.gif

UPTOWN_704a_Matrix.gif

Difficult to take a Photo at this time of night but this is the scratched in Matrix on my copy

(Which Does NOT Have A Daisy Stamp as far as I can tell)

"45---67023 - F-1----1"

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Here's one of my copies, Although I'm unable to find a Daisy Stamp.

UPTOWN_704a-2.gif

UPTOWN_704a_Matrix.gif

Difficult to take a Photo at this time of night but this is the scratched in Matrix on my copy.

"45---67023 - F-1----1"

That's exactly what I have scratched on mine (definite original from reputable dealer around 1978), the 1 is stamped? The daisy wheel is about a third of the way round the disc from that.

Best,

John.

Edited by John Al
Social source share

That's exactly what I have scratched on mine (definite original from reputable dealer around 1978), the 1 is stamped? The daisy wheel is about a third of the way round the disc from that.

Best,

John.

Don't think my copy is stamped, but I will check in daylight tomorrow.

"45---67023 - F-1----1" Is the stamp this side of the Number

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Don't think my copy is stamped, but I will check in daylight tomorrow.

"45---67023 - F-1----1" Is the stamp this side of the Number

Yes it is and the second 1 is stamped too.

Actually I notice that where your label says "A Wright-Hanson Production" mine says "Produced by: E.Ray"

Curious!

John.

Social source share

Yes it is and the second 1 is stamped too.

Actually I notice that where your label says "A Wright-Hanson Production" mine says "Produced by: E.Ray"

Curious!

John.

Hi John

Many Thanks for Info.

My copy the second number doesn't appear to be stamped in any way as far as I can tell. Just scratched I or 1

Now that is something I definitely wasn't aware of, both my copies have "A Wright-Hanson Production" Both Sides.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi John

Many Thanks for Info.

My copy the second number doesn't appear to be stamped in any way as far as I can tell. Just scratched I or 1

Now that is something I definitely wasn't aware of, both my copies have "A Wright-Hanson Production" Both Sides.

You're very welcome.

My label is matt finish by the way.

Bit late now but I'll see if I can get some scans up tomorrow. Meanwhile we'll see what others say.......

Cheers,

John.

Social source share

Just looked at mine.

I know hard to tell from image but 45Cellar's copy looks matt whilst mine is shiny label.

Stamped matrix 45-67023-P1 with triangle couple of inches away.

Differences on label:-

BABY, I NEED YOU all on one line

Hyphen between BMI and 2:34 shorter in length

"A Wright-Hanson" all on one line.

ROD

Hi Rod

My Copy of "HEARTBEAT" has Shiny Label with STAMPED Matrix & Triangle

UPTOWN_712a_Matrix.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi Steve

Apparently on one press there is a Capitol "Daisy Stamp" in the DEAD WAX

Another press has the Triangle with 3 letters contained within it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However,

Uptown_704a.jpg

I bought 2 Copies from a Trusted Source in the 70's & I can't find a Stamp on either.

I will scan the record again as the above scan is from my old scanner.

Send em back,was it done in canada they dont stamp there stuff !!

Social source share

Hi John

Thanks Again, I've Just been on >>> PopSike.com <<< All have "A Wright-Hanson Production".

Good mornin'

interesting re popsike - are they all stamped?

Scanned mine in although the markings are very difficult to see, even on the record.

If your eyes (or specs) are good and you zoom in you can see the stamped 1 directly above the U in "YOU" and the daisy wheel to the left of the I in "I Need You". The scratched markings don't seem to have come out at all to my eyes but they are around the edge running approx from the E in GEE round to the e in Smashville.

.....and of course "Produced by: E. Ray"

It came in Uptown sleeve too.

Best,

John

post-4607-12539552112722_thumb.jpg

post-4607-12539552112722_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Good mornin'

interesting re popsike - are they all stamped?

Scanned mine in although the markings are very difficult to see, even on the record.

If your eyes (or specs) are good and you zoom in you can see the stamped 1 directly above the U in "YOU" and the daisy wheel to the left of the I in "I Need You". The scratched markings don't seem to have come out at all to my eyes but they are around the edge running approx from the E in GEE round to the e in Smashville.

.....and of course "Produced by: E. Ray"

It came in Uptown sleeve too.

Best,

John

Hi John

One on PopSike Mentions Daisy Stamp.

PopSike.com

120331203177.jpg

This one mentions RE-ISSUE but doesn't give detail.

PopSike.com

300331356171.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I can just about make out the Daisy Stamp on your Scan & the STAMPED 1.

Still can't find the Daisy Stamp on my copy.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

This is strange, I replied to this yesterday and it hasn't shown up!

My original has the daisy stamp at 9 o clock and an I stamp at 11 o clock, on the B side this is reversed, daisy at 3 o clock and I at 5 o clock

Thanks Pete

Almost certain now that my copies have Daisy Stamp missing, as I have checked both sides.

Social source share

This is one of the most frustrating ones - mine has the 1 scratched in, matt label, bought in late '76 before that awful speeded up boot appeared, and it took me almost the entire niter to prise it from the seller. I certainly wasn't aware at the time of an Uptown boot, never been convinced since and wonder if it was just another run done at a smaller pressing plant?

Social source share

This is one of the most frustrating ones - mine has the 1 scratched in, matt label, bought in late '76 before that awful speeded up boot appeared, and it took me almost the entire niter to prise it from the seller. I certainly wasn't aware at the time of an Uptown boot, never been convinced since and wonder if it was just another run done at a smaller pressing plant?

Social source share

Hi Jerry

When I bought my copies, I too wasn't aware of a BOOT or RE-ISSUE,

Considering the fact that both my copies were from Soul Bowl, I was astounded to find no Stamp.

I can only think that "another run done at a smaller pressing plant" could be the answer, but nothing documented.

Social source share

Thanks guys my copy only has 45-67023-F1 1 scratched into deadwax so sounds like a 70s pressing although I hope Jerry and 45Cellar are correct and its from a small pressing plant hence no stamp

I was so trusting when I was young 30+ years ago

So how much is it worth?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Perception

When I bought my copies, I too wasn't aware of a BOOT or RE-ISSUE,

Considering the fact that both my copies were from Soul Bowl, I was astounded to find no Stamp.

Soul Bowl sold reissues mixed with originals on the Northern Specials part of the list.

It was only records on the Northern Rarites page that where guaranteed originals.

So it depends which list page you bought them off.

Social source share

Soul Bowl sold reissues mixed with originals on the Northern Specials part of the list.

It was only records on the Northern Rarites page that where guaranteed originals.

So it depends which list page you bought them off.

Yes, I have kept most of my lists, going to have a look later.

Plus, when I find the time, I have a suitcase full of Soul Bowl Mailers.

As I keep my records in poly-lined cardboard sleeves

I decided to keep the paper sleeves in the mailer normally with records bought in pencil written on each mailer.

When the records arrived the Mailer stored Company Sleeves.

Found this kept the sleeves in good order & now years later Invaluable for Info (Date Of Purchase) etc.

Edited by 45cellar
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi John

One on PopSike Mentions Daisy Stamp.

PopSike.com

120331203177.jpg

This one mentions RE-ISSUE but doesn't give detail.

PopSike.com

300331356171.jpg

Slightly off topic - how do you manage to scan records with black labels, or predominantly black labels and get such a good result?

When I try, the scanner doesn't seem to be able to recognise the label boundaries and the result is often only half a label etc. Any tips please, apart from scanning it in a white sleeve?

Thanks Mick

Yes, I can just about make out the Daisy Stamp on your Scan & the STAMPED 1.

Still can't find the Daisy Stamp on my copy.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

So two originals on this one matt finish,one gloss finish both have the machine stamped number 1 and

stamped daisy matrix,and clear label print deffinition.

And the boot no machine stamped matrix`s hand scratched in numbers and poor print details

compared to the original,thanks...

Dave f.......

Social source share

Thanks guys my copy only has 45-67023-F1 1 scratched into deadwax so sounds like a 70s pressing although I hope Jerry and 45Cellar are correct and its from a small pressing plant hence no stamp

I was so trusting when I was young 30+ years ago

So how much is it worth?

Cheers

Steve

Wishfull thinking on there part,lol..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!