Sunday Picture Quiz

Godzilla

Just tried to post this but it disappeared. I'll have another go and hope it doesn't duplicate.

As usual our mystery person is an artist who has had at least one tune played on the Northern Soul scene but not really a soul singer.

I'll take questions to which I can answer 'yes' or 'no' - and will provide more clues as we go along. All depends on people joining in but judging by previous weeks there are loads of good sports on here. Last week we had Curtis Lee whose tune still (rightfully) gets played.This time it's one from the dark days when anything with the right beat was acceptable...

post-1918-12540788001364_thumb.jpg

who is the guy singing here?

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

• Replies 102
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just tried to post this but it disappeared. I'll have another go and hope it doesn't duplicate.

As usual our mystery person is an artist who has had at least one tune played on the Northern Soul scene but not really a soul singer.

I'll take questions to which I can answer 'yes' or 'no' - and will provide more clues as we go along. All depends on people joining in but judging by previous weeks there are loads of good sports on here. Last week we had Curtis Lee whose tune still (rightfully) gets played.This time it's one from the dark days when anything with the right beat was acceptable...

Mitch Ryder

Social source share

Billy Harner

Social source share

Has he had any notable commercial success?

Well no, or rather he had quite a bit of local success but I don't think a great deal of national. People in his band went on to do a relatively successful version of his Northern song though, then a later version of that group recorded an all time classic and one of my favourite tunes when it got covered by an unrelated white British artist. And she has some Northern tunes too, but focussing on that may lead you astray

Social source share

Well no, or rather he had quite a bit of local success but I don't think a great deal of national. People in his band went on to do a relatively successful version of his Northern song though, then a later version of that group recorded an all time classic and one of my favourite tunes when it got covered by an unrelated white British artist. And she has some Northern tunes too, but focussing on that may lead you astray

Godz just reading that lead me astray :thumbsup:

Social source share

johnny rivers

or

joe south

Not as well known as either in the pop world. His Northern tune was (briefly) bigger than anything by any of them though. In fact I think Russ actually played the later version which was connected to his early band by writer and producer. Connected to another guess we've had too...

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert