P'boro - Club Caliente 31St Oct 09

Raym

Just a few lines to kick off the thread for last nights Halloween Fancy Dress party night. Great up for it crowd with many in fancy dress adding to the 'spooky' atmosphere. The guest DJ's all played blinding sets with a real 'across the board' mix of cracking Soulful tunes from the 60's thru' 80's+ and a good mix of interesting ("havent heard this for years") Oldies and some tasty exclusive/one off rarities giving plenty for all to enjoy - and enjoy they did!! Many staying to the very last record - aways a good sign of a great night.

More later, but for now a few photos (more to be posted later) to give you a feel of how things went last night.

Thanks, Ray Mahoney

post-7608-12570714740237_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12570715127114_thumb.jpg

post-7608-1257071547896_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12570715734621_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12570715994522_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12570716344288_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12570716694039_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12570724159854_thumb.jpg

More from me later when i've recovered!!............

Edited by Raym
  • Replies 16
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Right !! 'Priority' things are done and out of the way. On with last night at Peterborough..

I'd seen turntable action at their 'other' promotion: 'The City' 'nite, in Peterboro' city centre, But the first time, for me, at Russ & Ray's 'Club Caliente' promotion held at (an absolute 'Superb' venue, & perfect for a 'niter..) the Parnwell Centre – easily found on the peripherals of P'boro – with quick access from the main routes.

As you enter through the double doors your met with a decent 'overview' of the venue.. Tables & seating area to the left, with the 'nice size' bar in front of that & extending to where the dance floor takes over. Just to the right of the entrance are another couple of tables with chairs - and also bordering the dance floor. The decks are located to the right of the entry doors – on a raised, small, stage - at the end of the dance floor.. which was a 'nice' size – with the table and chairs located at it's farthest end easily removed should 'dancer' numbers dictate the need for more floor space. Situated to the right of the floor, extending the full length of the building & slightly beyond the stage, are many lounge-chairs/settee's & tables. The toilets are tucked away to the left hand side of the venue so the open plan layout of this place ticked all the right boxes. smile.gif

They also offer hot food & drinks, all served by friendly, helpful, staff. The venue is well decorated and VERY clean – especially the loo's (well, the one I went into that is..). Capacity must be somewhere around the 200 mark, I would guess (??) – but 75 to 100 is certainly more than capable of providing a good atmosphere and creating a 'buzz'. thumbup.gif

Plenty arrived in fancy dress – good to see people entering the 'spirit' of Halloween – with several boy & 'ghoul' (sorry..) attendees donning make-up, wigs and suitable attire in their very worthwhile efforts. Dracula was there.. Which was nice, for me personally, as I'm a big 'Fang' of his – and I know he had a 'Fangtastic' night..

Russ & Ray warmed up the decks for the first hour, and provided a suitably soulful welcome to the constant stream of arrivees. Young Brett got the dancers up for their 'warm-up's', playing some outstanding tunes – with two or three that were unknown to me but had my old ear-lugs pricking up, and forced on me the urge to glance at the deck to see what it/they was/were. I personally think this young guy has the potential makings of one of 'tomorrow's' TOP DJ's.. Certainly worthy of keeping an eye out for if he keeps in the direction of the path he currently travels. I totally enjoyed it !!

Steve G took over the Music Management at 10pm – with a fine hour of quality soul music. Predominantly more on the 'modern' side, I'd say, but laced with some incredible 60t's rarities & class (more recent – late 80's/90's period) 'oldies'. His airing – and my 'top' tune for the night – of 'Love Slave' by the Antillects turning my face a nice 'Jealous green' colour (whilst very pleased for him, too).

A short intermission after Steve's fine Set – to spin a couple of 'youth club' oldies, in aid of the Fancy Dress 'Dance Off'.. With (Catfish) Michelle taking the honours.

Then it was my turn to 'play' the turntables.. Throwing together (only..) nineteen selections. Covering from 60's through to one or two 21st Century spins, with a couple of 'One-Off's' and a few 'alternate versions' of well known tunes in the fray. Along with a smattering of 'unissued' bits, and finishing off with a Class slab of soul from 1993. (My play-list follows for those that might be interested).

I had to depart just after my Set, to head on to the Lifeline 'Niter – to pick up my coat that I left at Burnley last week – and see out the rest of the night with their 'Real Deal' & 'Top Drawer' entertainment they consistently provide. So I missed the majority of Steve Jay's hour plus Russ & Ray's 'Finale' (humble apologies and hope I didn't appear rude..) but I had a truly great evening – and PERFECT warm-up for Lifeline – with oodles of class, quality, Soul music. Ample Soulie friends/associates/reprobates in attendance, with several 'travelling' soulies making their respective journey's/jaunts to assist in making this a good night all round. Nice to see Mick from Skeggy (but no Mo..) as it was Bob & Carol from Spalding, plus me 'old mukka' Kyp ('The Faith') Highbury coming over from Nott'm. thumbsup.gif

I could really see a 'niter promotion at this venue, the kind that becomes one of those 'special' type 'niters – that fill the many memories.. And alongside places the likes of Stafford, Leighton Buzzard, the 100 Club.. Mmm, food for thought ??? g.gif

Well done to the 'Boy's' for making these nights happen. They're DEFO on to a winner & I can only see this 'nite of Soul being a very popular and regularly well attended 'must do' on the Soul itinerary. I'll be back, that's for certain.. Nice One, guy's !! good.gif

Fingers shades.gif

PLAYLIST: (more or less in correct order of play..)

Carstairs 'Stick By Me Baby' (Test Press)

Jimmy Hughes 'Slipping Around With You' (Atco – LP)

Detroit Magnificents 'Is This A Woman's Way' (Unissued Grapevine – UK)

Marvin Gaye 'It's A Lonely World Without Your Love' (Unissued)

Don Varner 'Tear Stained Face' (Quinvy)

Edwin Starr 'I Just Wanted To Cry' (T.Motown – Germany) REQUEST

No No Starr 'Barefootin'' (Midas)

Nina Simone 'Take Care Of Business' ALT.TAKE (Verve S.P.)

No No Starr 'Swing Your Love My Way' (Midas)

Jay & Techniques 'Apple Peaches Pumpkin Pie' (Mercury – UK)

Devotions 'Do Do De Dop' (Nation) REQUEST

Fascinators 'In Other Words' (Bombay)

Lonnie Russ 'Say Girl' (Kerwood) REQUEST

Patrinell Staten 'A Little Love Affair' (Sepia)

Margaret Williams 'Just Because' (Test Press)

Endeavors 'I Can't Help Crying' (Empire State)

Marvin Gaye 'Lucky Lucky Me' ALT.TAKE (Unissued)

Flash McKinley 'I'll Rescue You' (Bombay)

Alexander O'Neal 'Since I've Been Lovin' You' (Tabu – LP – UK)

Edited by FickleFingers

I had a really good night, really enjoyed the music. Good sets from all the DJ's especially "Fingers". Good to see, Russ and Ray, Alan, Andy, Carter, Kip,Brett, etc etc. Good costumes specially (Alan the monk.) lol.

See you all soon.

Edited by thfcliam

Been feeling like cr*p lately as the Man-Flu kick's in whistling.gif However, was surprised to see that numbers were down on previous, especially when it was the first one on a Sat night?? Spooky indeed. yes.gif Still a poor turnout from the locals, not sure what more Ray & Russ can do to get them to come along, as most people there seemed to be from the travelling fraternity of Soulboys & Girls. ( Kings Lynn, St Ives, Cambridge, Corby, St Neots etc ) g.gif

Some lovely tunes played by all of the dj's, especially Steve Jay ( as per usual ) but really enjoyed Steve G & Johnny Fingers spots, something for everyone as you might say!!

Stick with it Ray & Russ, hope there's many more Sat nights to come?? Club Caliente.........not your usual sort of club & not your usual sort of tunes...................so give it a visit when you see the flyers out & about.

Playlists please gents, as only Johnny has posted so far.

cheers,

John Mc.

As you can see a superb effort from all those that came along last night in fancy dress which provided plenty of laughs all night. Enjoyed all the sets played by all the guest DJ's and good to read a couple of postings so far also agreeing to the quality of the music played. Great touch from Helen again – the cake! Which was superb.

Thanks Russ for letting me play some early doors 45's and its always a good laugh double decking for the last hour.

Here's what I played:

Early doors warm up

ARTHUR ALEXANDER – KEEP HER GUESSING - DOT

ARNELLS – HEART REPAIR SHOP - ROULETTE

FURYS – I LOST MY BABY – MACK IV

STEVE MANCHA – DID MY BABY CALL - WHEELSVILLE

JACKIE DAY – BEFORE ITS TOO LATE - MODERN

LOLLIPOPS – LOVING GOOD FEELING - IMPACT

ARTISTICS – GIRL I NEED YOU – UK CORAL

SERVICEMEN – I NEED A HELPING HAND – PATHEWAY

PRECISIONS – IF THIS IS LOVE – DREW

EDWARD HAMILTON – IM GONNA LOVE YOU - CARRIE

BENNY LATIMORE – GIRL I GOT NEWS FOR YOU – DADE

VINCE APOLLO – I CANT TURN MY BACK – PENTAGON

TONY HESTOR – WATCH YOURSELF – KARATE

VOLCANOS – STORM WARNING – ARCTIC

INTENTIONS – DON'T FORGET THAT I LOVE YOU – PHILIPS

ANTHONY & THE AQUALADS – I REMEMBER – GOLD BEE

MARVELETTES – FINDERS KEEPERS – UK MOTOWN

SHARON SCOTT – HOW CAN I GET TO YOU – WILD DEUCE

ACCENTS – WHO YOU GONNA LOVE – ONEDERFUL

JIMMY SOUL CLARK – SWEET DARLIN – SOUL HAWK

DANNY MOORE – SOMEBODY NEW - ALLRITE

MIGHTY MARVELOWS – TALKIN BOUT YA BABY – ABC

PATTI AUSTIN – IVE GIVEN ALL MY LOVE – CORAL

FREDDIE WILLIAMS – NAME IN LIGHTS – HOLLYWOOD

Last hour double decking with Russ

JACKIE SHANE – IN MY TENEMENT – SUE (request)

GARLAND GREEN – GIRL I LOVE YOU –REVUE

CLYDE McPHATTER – LONELY PEOPLE CANT AFFORD TO CRY – MALA

BALADS – I CANT SEE YOUR LOVE – VEE JAY

LAVERN BAKER – WRAPPED TIED & TANGLED – BRUNSWICK

LITTLE JOHNNY HAMILTON – OH HOW I LOVE YOU – DORE

BOBBY HUTTON – COME SEE WHATS LEFT OF ME – PHILIPS

GEENE TOONES – WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT – SIMCO

MAMIE LEE – I CAN SEE HIM SLIPPING AWAY – MGM (request)

Cheers, Ray Mahoney

Edited by Raym

yes keep persevering with this Russ and Ray, a good crowd who don't just want to hear the same old same old......

Here's what i can remember of what I played:

Barrett Strong "Is it true"

Jackie Beavers "trying to get back to you girl"

Mark IV "If you can't tell me somemething good",

Nurons, Appointments, Ernestine Eady, Tommy & Derbys, Stromie Wynters, Antellects. Little Reuben, Bill Coday, Richard Marks "Did you ever lsoe someone", Roy Roberts "So much in love", Gordon Berry "How lonely", Baby Washington c/u, Tim & Dave "You're just too good for me". Probably a few more as well......

Thanks for having us. :thumbup:

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Guest Catfish

Excellent night, lots in fancy dress, I had lots of fun being very silly in my costume (which I think will double as a comfortable kaftan for wearing in the house), and thanks for the wine lads. I've done something moderately painful to my left arm and right leg which is always a good sign. Agree with JF re Antillects being one of the top sounds of the night. Haven't heard it for a while either.

Great having this as a SATURDAY venue - again, perhaps?

Thanks

M

Edited by Catfish

a cracking night indeed!! was a little peed off with the lack of local support, but hey they missed a brilliant night in a brilliant venue!!

ok now i have that of my chest thanks for all the loyal support from the travelling true soul lovers, plus a few new faces, also great

to catch up a have a cuppa with Mick(skegsoul)also tom and teresa who we saw the week previous at "MOVE ON"

everyone seemed to be in a party mood, with a lot dressing up for the occasion, nearly wet myself when stuart walked in!! he looked

more like a tall "diddy man" than i think dracula, also alan was funny tothumbsup.gif again thanks to helen for another superb cake this is

becoming a regular feature of our soul nights were else can you go and get this sort of treat....

regards the music was brilliant all night with the right djs being booked to keep the knowledgable soulies very happy, young brett just gets better!! should be given more off a chance locally, a great set indeed of quality tunesthumbup.gif , ex boro boy steve g again fantastic selection of tunes from

a really nice guy with a cracking record collection. then upstepped huntingdon"s "fingers" who as per norm played a set of corkers of quality

quality quality, with such pride and passion thanks johnny. Steve Jay kept the floor happy with a mixture of 70s/80s, xover as always a pleasure

to ask him back to dj "TOPMAN" indeed

also like to thank ray & jo for putting up with me!! also ray for playing some awesome tunes always a pleasure to do the double decking duties

with...

and lastly pam and her staff for a brilliant venue and fantastic food and service.

well thats about it heres what i played over the night in no order;

soulville allstars - im gonna get to you - soulville

the trends - gonna have to show you - abc

jimmy norman - family tree - mercury

lloyd price - oh lady luck - monument

ad-libs - new york in the dark - agp

frank howard - im so glad - barry

showmen - our love will grow - action

riff ruffin - peepin and hiding - duke

astors - in the twilight zone - stax

big maybelle - quittin time - direction

james duncan - three little pigs - king

barbara carr - my mama told me - chess

soulful twins - i cant let you go - sable

chuck wright - the palm of your hands - ember

john bowie - youre gonna miss a good thing - merben

echoes - million dollar bill - pulse

tommy bush - i dont like it - rika

danny white - miss fine miss fine - frisco

cajun hart - got to find a way - wbs

silky hargraves - keep loving me - dearborn

caesars - girl i miss you - lanie

jock mitchell - not a chance in a million - impact

sonics - dont be afraid of the dark - etiquette

homer banks - sweetie pie - genie

wilson pickett - let me be your boy - mgm

lulu - leave a little love - decca

think thats about it

russ

Great write up Johnny, really enjoyed the version of "Stick by me baby" by The Carstairs - neat looking Atlantic test press!

post-7608-12571996342093_thumb.jpg

There was some real scary fancy dress costumes just look at the expresions these faces!

post-7608-12571997748768_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12571998024737_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple of scary ones!

post-7608-12571998838516_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12571999117043_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12571999439354_thumb.jpg

Some didn't make much of an effort dressing up! :shades:

post-7608-12572000683522_thumb.jpg

The whole night was good fun and a few more £'s put in the collection rolled over from Steve Jay's ITS Spalding the previous night towards a worthy cause.

Some cracking records played by the guest DJ's over a decent sound system to an enthusiastic crowd in a smashing venue.

Finally, one tired wolf at the end of the night!

post-7608-12572005764614_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raym

Still a poor turnout from the locals, not sure what more Ray & Russ can do to get them to come along, as most people there seemed to be from the travelling fraternity of Soulboys & Girls. ( Kings Lynn, St Ives, Cambridge, Corby, St Neots etc )

a cracking night indeed!! was a little peed off with the lack of local support, but hey they missed a brilliant night in a brilliant venue!! ok now i have that of my chest thanks for all the loyal support from the travelling true soul lovers

Hi John and Russ, quite agree shame not more of the Peterborough home crowd were in, but as one of the "travelling true soul lovers" I can hand on heart say how much I enjoyed the night. I could even have stayed in Kings Lynn, there was a "Northern Soul and Motown" night on in the town but I have been to the venue in question before and many drunk people came in that time and sure that would have again been the case as it is a town centre hotel. I knew that I would rather travel to enjoy Caliente, friendly promoters, great guest DJs and many friends present. Russ in your set, for those of the Peterborough home crowd who didn't come because they like their oldies best, reading your playlist the Ad-libs, Showmen, John Bowie, Cajun Hart and Wilson Pickett tracks would have catered for them.

yes keep persevering with this Russ and Ray, a good crowd who don't just want to hear the same old same old......

Hi Steve, always good to see yourself and Karen in Peterborough. A great set as usual, favourites for me including Barrett Strong, Mark IV and Antellects.

Great set from Steve Jay too, good to see you both nights of this weekend, just posted on the Spalding thread too and added a link to it from Our Northern Souls. As discussed one of my recent favourites that you included is Jay Player's "Love is the Answer".

All in all a great night. If anyone who didn't go, didn't because they see the DJ list and perceive that "it's all modern", it certainly wasn't as referenced in my notes from Russ's list. The whole spectrum is very well catered for both here and at the City Club, well done Ray, Russ and all the guests on the night.

Looking forward to hearing from you on future dates,

Cheers, Alan

Been feeling like cr*p lately as the Man-Flu kick's in whistling.gif However, was surprised to see that numbers were down on previous, especially when it was the first one on a Sat night?? Spooky indeed. yes.gif Still a poor turnout from the locals, not sure what more Ray & Russ can do to get them to come along, as most people there seemed to be from the travelling fraternity of Soulboys & Girls. ( Kings Lynn, St Ives, Cambridge, Corby, St Neots etc ) g.gif

Some lovely tunes played by all of the dj's, especially Steve Jay ( as per usual ) but really enjoyed Steve G & Johnny Fingers spots, something for everyone as you might say!!

Stick with it Ray & Russ, hope there's many more Sat nights to come?? Club Caliente.........not your usual sort of club & not your usual sort of tunes...................so give it a visit when you see the flyers out & about.

Playlists please gents, as only Johnny has posted so far.

cheers,

John Mc.

Hi John thanks for the comments ,seems so strange that local support never seems forthcoming at any night that isnt oldies based no.gif most attendees at ITS travel in & most of our spalding "residents" came over to club caliente ,and indeed I would estimate that 50% of those present on saturday had been at Spalding the night before ,thus making it a full fenland weekender soul wisegood.gif .

Good to see everyone in a party mood and Russ and Ray had done a lot of work in theming the night(sorry I ate all the parma violetsph34r.gif )tremendous people in attendance as always ,we brought our bucket and collected some loose change and toghether with my fee for the night raised the ITS charity bash total to £850 thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

We all really enjoyed the club caliente experiencs as always ,the crowd are just the bestthumbup.gif LOADS OF GREAT REQUESTS TO PLAY AS ALWAYS THANK YOU

heres what I remember playing (i think)g.gif .......(the usual crossover dirges and disco shitewhistling.gif )

STOPPERS COME BACK BABY

CHUCK JACKSON WHATS WITH THIS LONELINESS

LARRY BANKS & JAIBI MY LIFE IS NO BETTTER

BULL BYGONES

DENIECE LASALLE HERE I GO AGAIN

WEE TRY ME

TEARRA JUST LOVING YOU

ALMA FAYE I BELIEVED

TEDDY P DO ME

DAVID RUFFIN QUESTIONS

GWEN MCCRAE LET ME DO MY THING

AL GREEN EVERYTHING IS OK